Could we play 2 "Riewoldts"?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintjake
Club Player

Could we play 2 "Riewoldts"?

in theory, Gilbert (NOW IM NOT SAYING HE IS ROO, OR ANYWHERE NEAR HIS LEVEL!)
but i think he is one cm taller then roo
and can run like lighting,
fair endurance and a reasonable mark,
so my question is, could we play Gilbert and Roo in similar roles?
opposition defenders would blow up
look at the grand final for example, Roo played the whole game (?)
but Taylor Mackie and even Harley all had to rotate on him because he run them ragged
would another Roo work?

*the off season has got to me*

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Gilbert played up forward through this years pre-season comp, so the idea is not a foreign one to the club...however, he is so brilliant where he is :D

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

I think Gilbert has already proven to all that he's a Defender ...not a Forward...

Six debutants for the Saints so far in Season 2024. :D
Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

mmmmm......interesting question

yes.......interesting...............mmmmmm

Foz
Club Player

Didn't Goose tell a younger Gilbert he can't have his spot at CHB because of his 'spaghetti arms' ? I can't wait to see how Gilbo turns out with an off season of weights under his belt. Think he might also be the defender instead of the forward but stranger things have happened.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

not a bad idea, though you'd lose a bit in defence. we might be looking at rhys stanley in that role, or tommy walsh.

we certainly could have done with another tallish option during the finals.

http://www.saintsational.com/forum/view ... anley+pace
BackFromUSA wrote:Word is Rhys Stanley will be groomed to become our next Centre Half Forward for when Roo retires. He has all the physical and mental attributes to make it. He might become our third tall forward this year (what a difficult match up he would make) and has the pace, aerobic capacity and defensive pressure to play to our game plan. If not playimg seniors expect to see him playing Centre Half Forward for Sandringham.

I have been a big fan since day 1 when we picked him ... take a look on YouTube of his running down little blokes in the forward half. Excellent skills below his knees and a good kick. He will be a nightmare match up as a 3rd tall with his pace, tackling, marking, quick hands and kicking. Could be a match winning move and an x factor for 2010.
Last edited by bigcarl on Wed 11 Nov 2009 1:01am, edited 2 times in total.

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:not a bad idea, though you'd lose a bit in defence. we might be looking at rhys stanley in that role, or tommy walsh.

we certainly could have done with another tallish option during the finals.

BackFromUSA wrote:Word is Rhys Stanley will be groomed to become our next Centre Half Forward for when Roo retires. He has all the physical and mental attributes to make it. He might become our third tall forward this year (what a difficult match up he would make) and has the pace, aerobic capacity and defensive pressure to play to our game plan. If not playimg seniors expect to see him playing Centre Half Forward for Sandringham.

I have been a big fan since day 1 when we picked him ... take a look on YouTube of his running down little blokes in the forward half. Excellent skills below his knees and a good kick. He will be a nightmare match up as a 3rd tall with his pace, tackling, marking, quick hands and kicking. Could be a match winning move and an x factor for 2010.
I agree with this post wholeheartedly. Walsh and Stanley for mine. And don't forget McEvoy.

awesome_days
Club Player

Goddard anyone....

Let others take on the "quarter-back" role - Sam Fisher, Sam Gilbert, Raph Clarke & Farren Ray

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

awesome_days wrote:Goddard anyone....

Let others take on the "quarter-back" role - Sam Fisher, Sam Gilbert, Raph Clarke & Farren Ray
that's not a bad idea either, though he is very effective doing what he's doing and gives us an edge on the ball.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Gilbert isnt going forward and neither is Stanley. Walsh hasnt even played the game. We will try a few there over preseason but none of those mentioned have a hope in the first half of the year at least and for the whole year I would imagine. Im not sure if people have forgotton Lynch or even another small forward like Steven or resting BJ there occasionly.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Gilbert isnt going forward and neither is Stanley. Walsh hasnt even played the game. We will try a few there over preseason but none of those mentioned have a hope in the first half of the year at least and for the whole year I would imagine. Im not sure if people have forgotton Lynch or even another small forward like Steven or resting BJ there occasionly.
i heard it on good authority that stanley is being considered :wink:

ace
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Gilbert isnt going forward and neither is Stanley. Walsh hasnt even played the game. We will try a few there over preseason but none of those mentioned have a hope in the first half of the year at least and for the whole year I would imagine. Im not sure if people have forgotton Lynch or even another small forward like Steven or resting BJ there occasionly.
i heard it on good authority that Ross Lyon will consider all players based on merit. :wink:

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I would like to think the Saints can take advantage of Stanley's speed and height somehow.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
i heard it on good authority that Ross Lyon will consider all players based on merit. :wink:
no doubt. wouldn't have it any other way.

aussiejones
Club Player

We need to do something ... Some good thoughts ..I am sure Ross is on to it or the Forward coach

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
Is that from the same guy who said he had the saints draw before it even came out in the papers. Pretty sure he got about 3 correct.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Could we play 2 Riewoldts? yes.
Do we have two Riewoldts? unfortunately not.

Riewoldt is a very very rare player, and we're unlikely to ever get another player like him, let alone have one already on our list.

Gilbert - Was tried up forward and whilst he looked ok he is an AA quality back flanker, I would not want to move him.

Goddard - He is a jack of all trades and I would like to see him spend periods in the forward line when our structure isn't working, but I would like to see him spend most of his time in the middle.

Stanley - He is a ruckman.

McEvoy - In my eyes he is a Josh Fraser type player (hopefully he'll turn out better) he will be able to rotate between the forward line and ruck and do adequately in both positions without ever starring in them.

Whilst it would be great to have another Riewoldt, unfortunately it's just not possible.

Players that have his speed, athleticism and height are unable to have his strength.
Players that have his strengh are unable to be mobile enough.

The only player on our list that has the attributes to become another Riewoldt is Walsh but I wouldn't be holding my breathe on him becoming our saviour, even though he is a very exciting prospect.

Rather than trying to focus on obtaining another Riewoldt, I think we need to focus on ways to compliment him. The one position that is simply crying out is the third tall forward. He needs to be able to win the ball in the air, on the ground, kick goals and hurt people... we've tried Gwilt and whilst at times he looked good, he just couldn't produce enough, often enough. Our great white hope has to be Tom Lynch, he could be exactly what we need so let's hope he has a big pre season.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
Is that from the same guy who said he had the saints draw before it even came out in the papers. Pretty sure he got about 3 correct.
the guy who said this:

Stanley as a third forward is definitely in the mix for 2010 - I am not speculating. Besides pace he has the best endurance at the club amongst all talls ... better than Roo. He is graded a better athlete than Roo. I repeat ... a better athlete than Roo

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Bottom line is that we have a great list and we have already added depth to it before the draft.

Option, options, options. We have a lot to choose from. We also have players with versatility and the ability to play at both ends of the ground. Our coaching staff will develop players to be utilities and play back and forward. I am excited about our list.