Thanks Luke....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

For showing your true colours...

For showing your true colours...you leach!!!

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Did bleed for the club for 8 years, but was paid about 3.5 million dollars in compensation. Fair trade? You be the judge. He's gone. Doesn't want to be there, so good riddance. Plenty of others will bleed to take his spot. It's a professional sport after all. He wants the best deal and it's his right to seek it. Never thought he delivered on his undoubted potential. GT's love child, complete with a typically overblown salary. The GT legacy lives on! (Ducks abuse and rotten fruit!)

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Thinline wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Crap post. thanks Luke for 8 years of trying your heart out for the club. Its a pity injury got to you and now you see the only way of hopefully ensuring a game is to leave. good luck.
Three out of eight seasons is a more than generous summation of a totally underwhelming career given the guy was such a high pick.

How on earth can that be controversial?

Are you the guy's dad or something?

Fair dinkum...

Sure he might have tried, but then so did Aaron Fiora.

Of course there's a gulf between those two players, but fact is both ran on plenty of talk with not a whole heap of show.
I could just about bet you have sung his praises for most of those years but now he is gone his career just wasnt good enough. Im not his Dad but I respect him as a player. Funny enough i got abused earlier this year for saying he was good average overpaid player which by the way isnt his fault and i was abused for having a go at Bally. how the wheel turns.
I'll be the first to praise Ball for his effort when it was visible and consistent. It is undeniable that it was there only for something less than 3 of 8 years. In fact I'd go so far as to say we got at best only a year and a half out of him at a level matching his on paper reputation.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
PJ
SS Life Member

Yeh thanks Luke what else would we have discussed - Kevin Rudd!!

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:
MCG-Unit wrote:
saintlee wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Crap post. thanks Luke for 8 years of trying your heart out for the club. Its a pity injury got to you and now you see the only way of hopefully ensuring a game is to leave. good luck.
I'm with you on this one plugger.....I find all this LB bashing a bit over the top...he literally bled for the Saints, and I won't let his leaving take away from the years of service he gave the club....
I'm with both of you on this...

+1
i'm in with the decent fella's above me!
the rest of the children can throw a tantrum, or make their snide remarks.
enjoy kicking him - hope it alleviates the pain :wink:

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote:
perfectionist wrote:
MCG-Unit wrote:
saintlee wrote:
I'm with you on this one plugger.....I find all this LB bashing a bit over the top...he literally bled for the Saints, and I won't let his leaving take away from the years of service he gave the club....
I'm with both of you on this...

+1
enjoy kicking him - hope it alleviates the pain :wink:
Well since you've characterized me as 'one of the children' I'll respond and say my piece - with not a 'snide remark' in view.
I didn't give a rat's if he went or not. It was totally up to him to stay or go for whatever reasons he chose to.

BUT I will not stand quiet for the disgraceful accusations he made about our Club, or allowed his manager/camp/family to make on his behalf.

If he went for more money, why not just say so? I wouldn't care.
If he went because he felt his position in the team was under threat, why not just say so?

You may be happy with him chatacterizing our Club in the derogatory way that he did, that is your right.

BUT please, get off you high moral horse lauding a player who's chosen to leave and who has been less than forthcoming with the reasons behind his decision.
X Clarke deserves your praise much more than Luke Ball IMHO.
X Clarke's career was in serious jeopardy.
He hasn't had the 'paychecks' that Luke Ball has and yet I would argue he's put his body 'on the line' just as much.

If I didn't know any better I would suggest that your support of Luke Ball is simply becasue he's questioned the ethics asd morals of Ross Lyon?

Because that's exactly what Ball, his management and family have done.
In a series of farcical statements they have tried to 'blame' Ross Lyon and St Kilda for his decision.

'UNTENABLE' is the charge they have levelled at Lyon and the Club.

Just disgraceful IMO and I will forever view Luke Ball's inglorious exit from our Club covered in the light of that disrespectful allegation.
Last edited by Mr Magic on Tue 10 Nov 2009 11:42pm, edited 1 time in total.

PJ
SS Life Member

enjoy kicking him - hope it alleviates the pain
If Luke leaves good luck to him but please don't paint the hero picture. He's no better or worse than any other professional and if anyone gives the "Bleeds for the club" crap again I'm going to vomit. You don't know him personally or what he thinks of St.Kilda so keep your romantic garbage to your tiny little mind along with the pooh bear bedtime stories.
He was a gutsy player he's moved on and so should we - NEEEEEEXT.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
stmac35
Club Player

Well since you've characterized me as 'one of the children' I'll respond and say my piece - with not a 'snide remark' in view.
I didn't give a rat's if he went or not. It was totally up to him to stay or go for whatever reasons he chose to.

BUT I will not stand quiet for the disgraceful accusations he made about our Club, or allowed his manager/camp/family to make on his behalf.

If he went because he felt his position in the team was under threat, why not just say so?

You may be happy with him chatacterizing our Club in the derogatory way that he did, that is your right.

BUT please, get off you high moral horse lauding a player who's chosen to leave and who has been less than forthcoming with the reasons behind his decision.
He hasn't had the 'paychecks' that Luke Ball has and yet I would argue he's put his body 'on the line' just as much.

If I didn't know any better I would suggest that your support of Luke Ball is simply becasue he's questioned the ethics asd morals of Ross Lyon?

In a series of farcical statements they have tried to 'blame' Ross Lyon and St Kilda for his decision.

Just disgraceful IMO and I will forever view Luke Ball's inglorious exit from our Club covered in the light of that disrespectful allegation.
Don't you reckon the vast majority of 'sources close to Ball' are simply media speculation? I don't think Luke had that much control over what was said in the media about the whole situation - he was quoted saying he was stunned by it all.

I, for one, am shattered he's leaving. One of my favourite players, and - for an Old Xaverian - a very likeable guy. And I don't think the club covered itself in glory. They tried playing it hard - too hard - with him and its backfired.
I think its quite clear it wasn't all about money. I think he just wanted to be needed. He's human, and I don't think he's a bad guy.

And now I'll shelter from the flames. :(

THE GREAT MAN - ROBERT HARVEY
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

stmac35 wrote:

Don't you reckon the vast majority of 'sources close to Ball' are simply media speculation? I don't think Luke had that much control over what was said in the media about the whole situation - he was quoted saying he was stunned by it all.

I, for one, am shattered he's leaving. One of my favourite players, and - for an Old Xaverian - a very likeable guy. And I don't think the club covered itself in glory. They tried playing it hard - too hard - with him and its backfired.
I think its quite clear it wasn't all about money. I think he just wanted to be needed. He's human, and I don't think he's a bad guy.

So Luke just needed the love....cash wasnt a part of it at all coming off 600k a year deal?

Righto.... :roll:

“Yeah….nah””
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

stmac35 wrote:

And one of my favourite Saints players also.

What did you want the Club to do?
Accept any rubbish that Collingwood was prepared to give us in return?
Just deliver Ball to them neatly wrapped in gift packaging?

You had a player who was offered a new contract at least 3 months ago.
A new contract he chose not to sign, as was his right.
His manager was shopping around for a better deal, BEFORE the whole 'game time' issue arose. Becasue he felt that Ball was worth more than what the Saints were offering. Again as was his right.

Why did he during the finals publicly state that 'this year was the kick up the bum he needed' and other similar comments?
Was he lying to the media then, given he was apparently so upset with Lyon and the Club?

And the reports being written by Greg Denham for the past couple of months were, IMO, being handfed to him by Ball's management to try and raise 'pressure' on St Kilda to offer Ball more. OBviously Denham has fallen out of favour with this particular source becasue he's stopped writing Ball stories adn been replaced by Jon Ralph at teh Hun. Iterestingly it seemed to occur when Denham started talking about how bad Collingwood had behaved during trade discussions over Ball.

Too many conflicting statements have been made by Ball, his manager and his family to make this as simple a case as you are trying to paint.

Why doesn't he want to go to Melbourne?
If it's about being needed and getting maximum game time then that is much more guaranteed at Melbourne than at Collingwood.
And they'll pay him what Collingwood will.
No, Luke wants, the money, the game time, the warmth adn an opportunity to play in finals. Good luck to him if he can get it.
But why does he feel the need to allow St Kilda to be characterized as a villain to do it?

ace
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:Did bleed for the club for 8 years, but was paid about 3.5 million dollars in compensation. Fair trade? You be the judge. He's gone. Doesn't want to be there, so good riddance. Plenty of others will bleed to take his spot. It's a professional sport after all. He wants the best deal and it's his right to seek it. Never thought he delivered on his undoubted potential. GT's love child, complete with a typically overblown salary. The GT legacy lives on! (Ducks abuse and rotten fruit!)
That's around $25,000 per game.

OR should that be $25,000 per half game so $50,000 per game.
NOT bad given some work 48 weeks a year for a full games pay.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Bleed = Care plain and simple.

There's no romanticism or heroic attachment to the term.

Plain and simply - Ball didn't realy bleed i.e. really care for the club that cared for him - he wasn't a team player and that's disappointing.

Other past players and true St Kilda greats cared about the club when they played and also after their careers were finished.
Last edited by samoht on Wed 11 Nov 2009 10:31am, edited 1 time in total.

sainterjo
Club Player

He refused to go anywhere but Collingwood, ensuring that the Saints would not be compensated fairly on his departure.

Better hope he's there to be mocked in the Red and the Blue. He will be loathed by many a Saint if in Black and White!

They will not grow old, as those from more northern States grow old.
For them it will always be three-quarter-time, with the scores level
and the wind advantage in the final term.
Moccha
Saintsational Legend

For not living up to your overhyped potential
Last edited by Moccha on Wed 11 Nov 2009 10:41am, edited 1 time in total.

Another opportunity awaits!
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote: And the reports being written by Greg Denham for the past couple of months were, IMO, being handfed to him by Ball's management to try and raise 'pressure' on St Kilda to offer Ball more. OBviously Denham has fallen out of favour with this particular source becasue he's stopped writing Ball stories adn been replaced by Jon Ralph at teh Hun. Iterestingly it seemed to occur when Denham started talking about how bad Collingwood had behaved during trade discussions over Ball.
Interestingly, months ago Denham had a story that Ball was offered $500k a season at Collingwood.

Then we had all the "game time", "family upset", "untenable", "not for money" leaks over trade week.

But now it is reported he has put a $500k price tag on his head in the ND.

So Greg Denham seems to have been correct after all.

We all know that it was reported that Ball was offered close to a mill for three years at the Saints.

This $500k keeps popping up.

Not about money?

Awesome.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Moccha
Saintsational Legend

Thats Arseome!

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:
White Winmar wrote:Did bleed for the club for 8 years, but was paid about 3.5 million dollars in compensation. Fair trade? You be the judge. He's gone. Doesn't want to be there, so good riddance. Plenty of others will bleed to take his spot. It's a professional sport after all. He wants the best deal and it's his right to seek it. Never thought he delivered on his undoubted potential. GT's love child, complete with a typically overblown salary. The GT legacy lives on! (Ducks abuse and rotten fruit!)
That's around $25,000 per game.

OR should that be $25,000 per half game so $50,000 per game.
NOT bad given some work 48 weeks a year for a full games pay.
Geez...When you look at it like that...

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
Mr Magic wrote: And the reports being written by Greg Denham for the past couple of months were, IMO, being handfed to him by Ball's management to try and raise 'pressure' on St Kilda to offer Ball more. OBviously Denham has fallen out of favour with this particular source becasue he's stopped writing Ball stories adn been replaced by Jon Ralph at teh Hun. Iterestingly it seemed to occur when Denham started talking about how bad Collingwood had behaved during trade discussions over Ball.
Interestingly, months ago Denham had a story that Ball was offered $500k a season at Collingwood.

Then we had all the "game time", "family upset", "untenable", "not for money" leaks over trade week.

We all know that it was reported that Ball was offered close to a mill for three years at the Saints.

Not about money?

Awesome.
If we going to beleive Denham then we better also mention that he said today that the contract in loaded up front so actually isnt getting 500k a year.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

$500k for a dude that can't kick over an Ant Hill....not bad if you can get it

I hope the Filth pay him as much as he wants..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Six debutants for the Saints so far in Season 2024. :D
Milton66
SS Life Member

bobmurray wrote:$500k for a dude that can't kick over an Ant Hill....not bad if you can get it

I hope the Filth pay him as much as he wants..... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Do I now owe you an apology? :oops:

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
Moccha
Saintsational Legend

Thanks Luke, make sure you take the rubbish out tonight

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
joffaboy wrote:

Not about money?

Awesome.
If we going to beleive Denham then we better also mention that he said today that the contract in loaded up front so actually isnt getting 500k a year.
Denham's figures averaged out at 400k per year - 500/400/300.

Griggsy
SS Life Member

Thanks for the loyalty, oh wait nm. Seems Luke looks out for number 1, and not the team...He will make a great captain at the Dees :roll:

Shaggy
Club Player

Griggsy wrote:Thanks for the loyalty, oh wait nm. Seems Luke looks out for number 1, and not the team...He will make a great captain at the Dees :roll:
LB was in our best when it counted.

He's left pissed off after captaincy has been taken away and his wage and game time has been halved.

I still admire him for his 7 years as one of the most courageous Saints footballers I have seen.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Shaggy wrote: I still admire him for his 7 years as one of the most courageous Saints footballers I have seen.
Yes and he bled for the club - dont forget that.

He also cried on GF day so he is also incredibly loyal to the club

oh wait...................

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)