Lots of bad language on Saints Facebook Page

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Lots of bad language on Saints Facebook Page

Hey Mods

Is it possible to get a message to that administrators of our Facebook page to warn people not to use bad language on the page.

A lot of kids look at the page, including my nephews, and I don't want to stop them from looking at the page either. I have commented twice on the page and will continue to comment on the page until the language issue is noted.

Could the admin just issue a polite warning stating that bad language will be monitored or not tolerated or something like that? It works well on this site, generally everyone adheres to the rules.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Either we can swear our heads off on here or facebook....need one outlet for the clowns lol!

I think it works well, and I doubt much moderation occurs on our facebook site.

Your nephew either should not visit it or choose to ignore it if he wishes not to be offended from swearing.

It's part of life - time he gets his head around it!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Either we can swear our heads off on here or facebook....need one outlet for the clowns lol!

Your nephew either should not visit it or choose to ignore it if he wishes not to be offended from swearing.

f*** off. Swearing in front of young kids is a f****** disgrace. Now go f*** yourself.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:Either we can swear our heads off on here or facebook....need one outlet for the clowns lol!

f*** off. Swearing in front of young kids is a f****** disgrace. Now go f*** yourself.
farking oath!

That's the spirit plugger!

stinger
Saintsational Legend

i'm sure most kids these days are subjected to swearing quite regularly..not that that makes it right......i was at the gym today on a treadmill listening and watching a pink video clip of her concert.........gawd...... :oops: :oops: :oops:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Re: Lots of bad language on Saints Facebook Page

Milan Faletic wrote:Hey Mods

Is it possible to get a message to that administrators of our Facebook page to warn people not to use bad language on the page.

A lot of kids look at the page, including my nephews, and I don't want to stop them from looking at the page either. I have commented twice on the page and will continue to comment on the page until the language issue is noted.

Could the admin just issue a polite warning stating that bad language will be monitored or not tolerated or something like that? It works well on this site, generally everyone adheres to the rules.
\
Saints facebook or Saintsational facebook?

any comment on Facebook has this little link
M****** R***** oh just f--- off
6 hours ago · Report
which I found when I was being disgusted by the continual bagging of Raph- which is why I rarely read comments- but decided that some comments were just NOT kosher....

although being in a position to try and adjust childrens language I was highly conscious of it- then I started listening to language being used around me at weekends and realised that what was once only heard occassionally was infact being used as core language by a greater percentage of the population than I realised.

Including some on here of all ages- I'm just old fashioned
BUT I'm nOT going to start using it and will continue to use- please and Thank you.
which made me wonder why I was bothering :shock:
Last edited by saintbrat on Sat 07 Nov 2009 7:28pm, edited 1 time in total.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Much as there is now a big trend towards older users of Facebook, its still the domain of the age group who think saying F*** all the time makes you cool. Its average age would be far younger than here

You can warn all you like but it will never stop it

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

I mean, really...should we give a F**K..... :lol:

Don't go there if you have issues with it..... :roll:

The list changes for 2025 have begun, always an interesting time for an avid supporter.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote: although being in a position to try and adjust childrens language I was highly conscious of it- then I started listening to language being sued around me at weekends and realised that what was once only heard occassionally was infact being used as core language by a greater percentage of the population than I realised.

BUT I'm nOT going to start using it and will continue to use- please and Thank you.
yep.....i know i'm an offender....well only in certain circumstances....i never swear in public.....and i get offended by pple who do.....here is a bit different.....more conducive to the odd f***...but..i worked for forty odd years in an industry where swearing is the norm rather than the exception...so i guess i'm hardened to it......but i still don't swear in front of my kids..or their children.....

and for the record.....my wife doesn't swear.....but she is a lady....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
saintbrat wrote: although being in a position to try and adjust childrens language I was highly conscious of it- then I started listening to language being sued around me at weekends and realised that what was once only heard occassionally was infact being used as core language by a greater percentage of the population than I realised.

yep.....i know i'm an offender....well only in certain circumstances....i never swear in public.....and i get offended by pple who do.....here is a bit different.....more conducive to the odd f***...but..i worked for forty odd years in an industry where swearing is the norm rather than the exception...so i guess i'm hardened to it......but i still don't swear in front of my kids..or their children.....

and for the record.....my wife doesn't swear.....but she is a lady....
yeah I'm much the same...Drop the F word as much as anyone at work and when with "the boys"..but very very rarely use it at home and if I do its generally only quoting someone else

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

I am pretty surprised by some of the reactions and pleased with some of the reactions. If people can't at least censor their swearing by the odd asterix at the very least then I am disappointed.

Well done to those who used the old, "Just don't let them use it" argument. I choose to try to improve things rather than ignore, when I think the overall purpose is good.

It's a public forum and the purpose is to express your opinion so I will alwats get outvoted via the freedom of speech argument. I'm not saying all words are off just the F word and worse. You guys know the words I mean. For someone to just write "f*** off" with no accompanying statement is not a worthy or intelligent comment.

I thought we had more intelligence than that. Can't people articulate a sentence well enough and use other words other than bad language. Is that what we are teaching people as the right way to communicate.

I have had a gutful of "Get over it"

My nephews have not complained, I am the one who doesn't like it.

I think I know now who lets fly with the same sort of filth at the footy.

What a shame!

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:I mean, really...should we give a F**K..... :lol:

Don't go there if you have issues with it..... :roll:
At least you have the dignity to censor the f word in your post. That's all I am asking for. :wink:

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

[quote="saintbrat] Saints facebook or Saintsational facebook?

[/quote]

Saints facebook not Saintsational facebook.

I have heard that the Saintsational facebook has a swear filter so maybe they can use the same thing.

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

In language you embrace, saintspremiers, F**K off and don't tell my family how to deal with it. We have a swear filter on this website for a reason. F**K! :wink:

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

It is hard for me to see how low our society has got. That is the level of our language. In my young days we used to say "Flaming Hell" or even "blooming"
And in my career I arrested many people for no more than using foul langauge in a public place.
And only the roughest of people used the language that is apparently acceptable today.

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

farking oath!

Beautiful, you guys are doing exactly what I would like to be done on Facebook, nothing wrong f**k or F***. All for that so go **** yourself as well. :lol: :lol: :lol:

That's the spirit plugger!

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:It is hard for me to see how low our society has got. That is the level of our language. In my young days we used to say "Flaming Hell" or even "blooming"
And in my career I arrested many people for no more than using foul langauge in a public place.
And only the roughest of people used the language that is apparently acceptable today.
On ya Barry. Things have changed and I am ok with swearing in the right place but not on a public forum. There needs to be standards and just a little common sense. :wink:

saintnick12
Club Player

I understand where you are coming from Milan.

I am a regular Facebook user myself and have found the Saints facebook site to be a good source of "hot off the press" info from the club - eg the ins and outs seems to go there first, also updates on injuries or signings. I do find that I get frustrated by the comments. Not only the swearing, but also the tone of the comments...often defamatory and even racist in some instances. They also quite often show complete ignorance of how football is played in 2009, how a club works etc. I continue to use the site, but quite often don't read all the comments now, as they just annoy me. EG I didn't even bother reading all of the comments after the Luke Ball or Xavier announcements. Some of the ones on here are bad enough, but some of the ones over there were shocking.

I am the parent of a 14 year old boy who I do allow to use facebook and who does frequent the Saints Facebook site. I understand I cannot control his life completely and that what he reads on the web is no different to what he hears in the school yard etc. However, I do expect a certain level of respect in the way that he uses it. While I have no control of what he says in the chat feature (and don't want to as this is his private communication), I expect what he posts to be respectful, and to use language of a reasonable standard, including not swearing. One of the conditions of him being allowed to use facebook is that I am one of his facebook friends. This means I can see what is being posted in the public space ( I have no access to his private communications - he has earned a certain level of privacy due to his being responsible with the access he has been allowed to have). I note that not all of his friends have such strict control and post comments that are quite rude, but hey that's 14 and 15 year old boys for you. His school has suspended some pupils over things that they have posted publicly. What I can influence is what he posts in the public space...a small effort by me to keep some level of reasonable language. I am prone to swear myself on occasion ...especially at a close game of footy - the last few minutes of the prelim springs to mind. I will alllow him to swear in appropriate contexts, but I hope I have taught him reasonable standards...and posting foul language in a public place with your name and photo attached is not one of them.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

saintnick12 wrote: and posting foul language in a public place with your name and photo attached is not one of them.
possibly more need to realise this when posting- if they have opened themselves up and identified themselves

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

saintnick12 wrote:I understand where you are coming from Milan.

I am a regular Facebook user myself and have found the Saints facebook site to be a good source of "hot off the press" info from the club - eg the ins and outs seems to go there first, also updates on injuries or signings. I do find that I get frustrated by the comments. Not only the swearing, but also the tone of the comments...often defamatory and even racist in some instances. They also quite often show complete ignorance of how football is played in 2009, how a club works etc. I continue to use the site, but quite often don't read all the comments now, as they just annoy me. EG I didn't even bother reading all of the comments after the Luke Ball or Xavier announcements. Some of the ones on here are bad enough, but some of the ones over there were shocking.

I am the parent of a 14 year old boy who I do allow to use facebook and who does frequent the Saints Facebook site. I understand I cannot control his life completely and that what he reads on the web is no different to what he hears in the school yard etc. However, I do expect a certain level of respect in the way that he uses it. While I have no control of what he says in the chat feature (and don't want to as this is his private communication), I expect what he posts to be respectful, and to use language of a reasonable standard, including not swearing. One of the conditions of him being allowed to use facebook is that I am one of his facebook friends. This means I can see what is being posted in the public space ( I have no access to his private communications - he has earned a certain level of privacy due to his being responsible with the access he has been allowed to have). I note that not all of his friends have such strict control and post comments that are quite rude, but hey that's 14 and 15 year old boys for you. His school has suspended some pupils over things that they have posted publicly. What I can influence is what he posts in the public space...a small effort by me to keep some level of reasonable language. I am prone to swear myself on occasion ...especially at a close game of footy - the last few minutes of the prelim springs to mind. I will alllow him to swear in appropriate contexts, but I hope I have taught him reasonable standards...and posting foul language in a public place with your name and photo attached is not one of them.
You said it beautifully saintnick12 (and saintbrat). Well said, fair and balanced and guess what guys...he didn't swear :!: :wink:

There is a huge difference between letting the odd expletive slip and, as you said, deliberately typing bad language attached to your name and picture, and having it published on the net. Big difference.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Milan Faletic wrote: You said it beautifully saintnick12 (and saintbrat). Well said, fair and balanced and guess what guys...he didn't swear :!: :wink:

There is a huge difference between letting the odd expletive slip and, as you said, deliberately typing bad language attached to your name and picture, and having it published on the net. Big difference.
there is also the possibility that some 'posters' swear online when they never would in front of their Family- let alone their mothers or fathers... thinkint they are anonymous but testing the boundaries.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Raven
Club Player

I can see where you're coming from, Milan. I don't have kids myself so I can't say I know how I'd react if in your situation.

But my take on it is this: our kids will have things happen to them in life that we don't like. Bad language is a major part of that, and it's very much unavoidable because it will be wherever they go, from the internet to the TV to the schoolyard.

I just can't see much point in preventing it in something so small as a football fan group on Facebook. As soon as your nephew stops reading the Facebook page he'll see some friends or watch some TV where someone will probably swear. Is it even worth your effort to try to prevent something so insignificant in the scheme of things?

Of course your answer is yes, but as adults guiding our children we can't kid ourselves (no pun intended) into thinking we can protect them from everything.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Get your nephews to come on here Milan :)

I don't like to swear...I don't expect that everyone else shouldn't because I choose not to, but I really appreciate when people respect the fact for my benefit.

I don't like the concept of young people being exposed to language on the Saints site, especially when it seems to be coupled together with degrading comments and abuse.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

raven's avatar always brings a certain cuss word to mind :wink:
aside from that - i don't swear - the soap treatment from mum at an early age worked.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Milton66
SS Life Member

Posters who are known for swearing and abuse will say it's ok to justify their behaviour, but those who don't will say so also. Why are you surprised at the different reactions Milan?

Anyone who claims not to swear in public, then reckons it's ok on a forum... has some serious issues IMO.

Swearing is swearing regardless of medium.

For the record, I drop the F word online and offline...but never at home.

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?