The Best Saints from Tasmania.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Elvis
Club Player

St Fidelius wrote:
Launcestonsaint wrote: You were right St Fid according to the guy I know. This bloke actually coached Matthew at St Pats.
Thanks mate.

He would have to be in the side the OP has posted considering he was runner up in the B & F in one year
Matthew Young, taken in the 1990 National Draft at pick 30 by Hawthorn from St.Pats Launceston. Drafted by St.Kilda from Hawthorn in the 1996 pre-season draft along with Jason Trianidis, Anthony Darcy and Andrew McLean (the latter from Nth Launceston).

Now afforded his place on the hbf in an edited draft of the forthcoming final team (check the top of the post on page one)! A reminder of the criteria... had to be drafted from a Tasmanian Club prior to entry to the AFL/VFL, so though technically a recycled, Matty Young deserves his spot.

Well done posters!

Launcestonsaint
SS Life Member
Location: Watching our games on tele or listening to the radio :(

Elvis wrote:
St Fidelius wrote:
Launcestonsaint wrote: You were right St Fid according to the guy I know. This bloke actually coached Matthew at St Pats.
Thanks mate.

He would have to be in the side the OP has posted considering he was runner up in the B & F in one year
Matthew Young, taken in the 1990 National Draft at pick 30 by Hawthorn from St.Pats Launceston. Drafted by St.Kilda from Hawthorn in the 1996 pre-season draft along with Jason Trianidis, Anthony Darcy and Andrew McLean (the latter from Nth Launceston).

Now afforded his place on the hbf in an edited draft of the forthcoming final team (check the top of the post on page one)! A reminder of the criteria... had to be drafted from a Tasmanian Club prior to entry to the AFL/VFL, so though technically a recycled, Matty Young deserves his spot.

Well done posters!
Matthew played with the St. Pats College team.
There is also a St. Pats (old boys) team in the N.T.F.A. Div 2 competition.

St Kilda's 2 premiership captains are Tassie born. The Doc & Roo.
poatina
Club Player

I'm pretty sure there was no St Pats team outside the college ( school ) team when Matty Young was drafted - Old Scotch and Old Launcestonians were in the Northern Amateurs or Old Scholars but St Pats didn't have a team in there.
But Matty Young was a good player - let's make it either from a Tassie club OR Tassie born ; we get Nick R and ( I think ) Bob Murray that way !

Launcestonsaint
SS Life Member

poatina wrote:I'm pretty sure there was no St Pats team outside the college ( school ) team when Matty Young was drafted - Old Scotch and Old Launcestonians were in the Northern Amateurs or Old Scholars but St Pats didn't have a team in there.
But Matty Young was a good player - let's make it either from a Tassie club OR Tassie born ; we get Nick R and ( I think ) Bob Murray that way !
I'll double check in the morning with my contact. I'm sure that he's a life member & played for them 30+ years ago.

Elvis
Club Player

poatina wrote:I'm pretty sure there was no St Pats team outside the college ( school ) team when Matty Young was drafted - Old Scotch and Old Launcestonians were in the Northern Amateurs or Old Scholars but St Pats didn't have a team in there.
The perennial issue with revisionist state of origin teams is that it is almost impossible to trace the birthplace of a large percentage of footballers before the 1930's. That, and the fact that in the instance of Bob Murray, those associated with the Sandringham Football Club and for example in Nick's case Broadbeach and Southport (where I am currently a coach) would feel pretty aggrieved (or in the very least have their noses out of joint) having invested a lot of time and energy into the development of those players for no recognition.

A really interesting parallel here can be drawn from other players in other posted teams... where there was no issue at all! For example and off the top of my head, Lindsay Fox can be claimed as a Ballarat because he played at Golden Point directly before coming to the Saints. There has been no out cry from NSW's where he was born (Sydney).. because granted, Lindsay Fox hardly set the world on fire with his footballing prowess. My point is, I wanted a workable way to include all players and it is only an issue because Nick and Bob etc are/were stars. In some ways reworking the criteria to include people for convenience unfortunately, in my opinion, is a little disrespectful to those who miss out because of that.

Again, with this, and the Ballarat team beforehand, I wanted to pay tribute to all Saints across the full history of the club.

On the other hand I can see everyone's point, especially born and breds who would obviously argue that they have a stake too having provided the environment into which the player was first brought into the world etc etc. My advice, with respect folks, is that if you feel particularly passionate about a born and bred team then have a crack at constructing one by that criteria alone. You will find that several in this team will not qualify and that will present the reverse of this issue!

The bottom line is that there has to be some criteria in these teams and it has to be workable and have some integrity not something that would take PhD like research to establish over the course of time (which in our case is a long, long time in 1873). Nick and Bob will be honorary coaches, they weren't directly recruited from a Tasmanian club. Matty Young gets in because....well..he just deserves to okay!!! :lol:

Launcestonsaint
SS Life Member

Launcestonsaint wrote:
I'll double check in the morning with my contact. I'm sure that he's a life member & played for them 30+ years ago.
I saw the guy this morning & he told me that St Pats old boys started in the 1930's.
I spoke to another guy at the pub this afternoon who played with them during the late 70's.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:Jodie Arnol?
should be skipper

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:Jodie Arnol?
should be skipper
or Water Boy !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Found a Coach- or assistant
Current Sandringham Coach and Saints assistant
Players: The good players drafted in 1986 included, Stephan and Mathew Febey, Trent Nicholls, Mathew Armstrong, Simon Minton-Connell, Darrin Pritchard, Jason Taylor, Alistair Lynch and Andy Lovell (all Tasmanians).
http://users.comcen.com.au/~weaver/Draft_1.html

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Elvis
Club Player

My apologies for dragging the chain on the final line up here. I'm putting together my school's annual Awards Night, so once that beast is out of the way tomorrow I'll attend to this... then offer up a new team!

cheers!

Elvis
Club Player

The Best Saints taken directly from Tasmanian Clubs!! Final.

Okay, here is the final line up. For all you home and growners (groaners :lol: ), remember it is a criteria based team. To make it, immediately prior to entry into the AFL/VFL, you had to come from a Tasmanian based club.

Comments again always welcomed, but please read through the thread first!

St.Brat your coaching suggestions didn't make it... none have played at St.Kilda. Doc Baldock fits the criteria for coach nicely, even if he did keep butchering Robert Harvey's name!

Thanks for contributing to the thread:
Here it is..........

BACKS
BP Barry LAWRENCE, 1969-76, (126), Longford
FB Verdun HOWELL, 1958 – 68, (159), City South
BP Jamie SHANAHAN, 1992-97, (125), Hobart

HALF BACKS
HBF Matthew YOUNG, 1996 - 01, (97), St.Pats (Launceston)
CHB John BINGLEY, 1965 – 66, (8) Devonport,
HBF David GRANT, 1984 – 95, 191, City South,

CENTRES
W Horrie MASON, 1922-31, (137), North Hobart
C Ian STEWART (vc), 1963-70, (127), Hobart
W John BONNEY, 1967-76, (87), Cooee

HALF FORWARDS
HFF George LUCAS, 1924 - 28, (48), Sheffield
CHF Darrel BALDOCK, (c) 1962 – 68, (119), Latrobe
HFF Adrian FLETCHER, 1992, (22) Glenorchy

FORWARDS
FP Percy JORY, 1912-15/1920, (60), Lefroy
FF Justin PLAPP, 2000-02, (26), Burnie
FP Bob JONES, 1988 – 89 (20), Devonport

RUCK
Jim JENKINS 1921 – 25, (50)

FOLLOWERS
Victor BARWICK 1903 – 09/1913, (105), Union (Queenstown)
William LINGER 1953-54, (31), Launceston City

I/C
Allan SCOTT, 1924 – 26, (19),
Alan SCOTT, 1929-30, (32), Cananore/North Launceston
Graeme LEE, 1961-62, (18), Wynyard
Barry BROOKS 2003, 2005 – 07, (10), Grassy (King Island)

COACH: Darrel BALDOCK (St.Kilda Coach, 1987 - 89)

PATRONS: Nick RIEWOLDT and Bob MURRAY 8-)

Apologies to:
Horrie TRINDER, 1902-03, (10), Mt Lyell
Jim DALTON 1927-28, (11)
George ATKINS 1918 – 19, (7)
Colin DEANE 1933, (3)
Sam JONES 1994, (3) Sandy Bay
Tom LAMPRELL 1910, (1), North Lyell
Andrew MCLEAN, 1996, (6), North Launceston
John RIGGS, 1984-85, (6), Burnie Tigers
John ROBSON, 1956, (4), Newtown
Lindsay THOMAS, 1975, (4), City South
Darren DAVIES 1991, (2), Launceston