Begley: Walsh will be a success

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintlee
Club Player

Begley: Walsh will be a success

"Colm Begley has tipped Tommy Walsh to make a big impact in Aussie Rules following his move to St Kilda."

http://www.setanta.com/uk/Articles/othe ... nid-59019/

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Begley: Walsh will be a success

from what i've seen he looks a real prospect. trouble is how do we fit another power forward into a structure that already includes kosi and riewoldt.

but i guess if he's good enough, we'll find a way to get him in there somehow.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

May well be the third power/pressure fwd we are looking for. At 194cm and mobile he can contest for marks as well as provide that intense pressure that's needed on the fwd line.

On the other hand he may play back. Less dynamic types like Blake may have his position under threat. Who knows?

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

The question is, will he play next year? Or will he have to wait for an injury to gain a spot in the team?

It should be interesting and I am definitely looking forward to seeing Walsh play.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Walsh has created a lot of interest/excitement and could perhaps add 5000 to our membership and be self funded, if he plays.

Is there a dashing young Irish mid sized forward / goal scoring ace we can recruit while we're at it?

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:from what i've seen he looks a real prospect. trouble is how do we fit another power forward into a structure that already includes kosi and riewoldt.

Thing is though is that he is VERY agile..

So is Roo.

So it is not like comparing Roo, Ksoi and GTrain...to Roo, Kosi and Tommy.

Tommy and Roo are both very mobile and can play like flankers.

Early days of course...but Tommy if he can pick up the skills and reading of the game required could play as a HFF..with Roo at FF and Kosi CHF...with 3 smalls.

Not saying he is anywhere near like Buddy...but Buddy is big and agile and often plays off the flank.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
bigcarl wrote:from what i've seen he looks a real prospect. trouble is how do we fit another power forward into a structure that already includes kosi and riewoldt.

So is Roo.

Early days of course...but Tommy if he can pick up the skills and reading of the game required could play as a HFF..with Roo at FF and Kosi CHF...with 3 smalls.

Not saying he is anywhere near like Buddy...but Buddy is big and agile and often plays off the flank.

same argument for stanley, who reportedly is in the mix for that spot as well.

graded a better athlete than riewoldt, according to BackfromUSA in another thread. both for pace and endurance. and he's 200-plus cms.

i'll be delighted if either can play our gameplan defensively plus contribute goals and potency to a forwardline that was a little one-dimensional during the finals.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:

So is Roo.

same argument for stanley, who reportedly is in the mix for that spot as well.

graded a better athlete than riewoldt, according to BackfromUSA in another thread. both for pace and endurance. and he's 200-plus cms.
Which means he will make a great ruckmanif he keeps developing - possibly in the Dean Cox mould.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:means he will make a great ruckmanif he keeps developing - possibly in the Dean Cox mould.
also means he's probably a couple of seasons away if he is considered a ruck prospect only. stanley is 89kg, cox is 104kg.

however, BackfromUSA said in the thread i mentioned that he has good mail that Stanley is definitely in the mix as a forward and is being groomed to replace riewoldt at chf ultimately.

very interesting thread

http://www.saintsational.com/forum/view ... hp?t=58260

mcadam05
Club Player

he looks pretty good

ace
Saintsational Legend

Riewoldt's defensive task is to chase opponents into the waiting tackles of our more mobile and agile smaller forwards.
The third forward needs to become one of these tacklers rather than a chaser, so needs to be more agile than Riewoldt.

Tommy is agile, whether he is agile enough to become a tackler we wait to see.

PS Those Irish tackles in the videos don't count, they can not legally retard or throw an opponent to the ground.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
samoht
Saintsational Legend

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison ... c_football

I found it interesting that they play on after marking (catching) the ball in Gaelic football - so it's a non-stop action/running game and less stop /start than Aussie Rules..
There's probably no place for non-mobile big men - one dimensional markologists in Gaelic football.

So Walsh's instincts would be to run /play on at all times, continue to be a running big man.

Also they can't tackle but you can bump the opponent with the ball , block/smother his passes/kicks or corral him - so even if you're not being tackled you're still being chased,bumped and harassed.

But even if he hasn't experienced tackling pressure - on the other side of the ledger I'm sure Walsh can develop as a ferocious tackler himself - and I reckon those powerful long legs of his (which offer plenty of leverage) would see him break through tackles anyway - he comes well equipped.
Last edited by samoht on Thu 29 Oct 2009 10:24am, edited 2 times in total.

sendmehomehappy
Club Player

Stanley Walsh...Tommy's gun twin...coming along as well :D

samoht
Saintsational Legend

sendmehomehappy wrote:Stanley Walsh...Tommy's gun twin...coming along as well :D
What's you talking about Willis ?

- just amended to Walsh of course, I don't know where Stanley came from ? - just testing if everyone is alert. :wink:

DWOODROW
Club Player

Everyone seems to forget that Ross Lyon expects youngsters to do their apprenticeship. Will be lucky to get a game next year but maybe up for a run in the NAB cup I would think as will others.

yipper
SS Life Member

DWOODROW wrote:Everyone seems to forget that Ross Lyon expects youngsters to do their apprenticeship. Will be lucky to get a game next year but maybe up for a run in the NAB cup I would think as will others.
Absolutely. That's the main reason I enjoy the NAB cup - to see the lesser lights getting a run. Who knows Tommy may well just blitz them in the NAB and demand a spot for Rd 1.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

DWOODROW wrote:Everyone seems to forget that Ross Lyon expects youngsters to do their apprenticeship.
unless they are very special, i think, is how he puts it.

samoht
Saintsational Legend

Absolutely - let's just enjoy Walsh's journey - there's no guarantees at the end.

.. but geez he moves well, he's so agile for a big man - you can't help jumping to conclusions and getting excited (along with Begley and our recruiters obviously).

DWOODROW
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:
DWOODROW wrote:Everyone seems to forget that Ross Lyon expects youngsters to do their apprenticeship.
unless they are very special, i think, is how he puts it.
The nail on the head. We will see if he is in NAB hopefully.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

half forward flanker, centre half back
i for one will follow this lad closely

young
built
quik

palease
gonna dominate

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

Generally with the Irish players, most if not all end up playing as defenders because it requires less natural football instincts than playing forward. Defenders can be more reactive and run directly at the play whereas forwards have to know where and when to lead and the the best place to position yourself to win the ball its a far more proactive area to play and therefore much harder to teach a bloke who has never played the game. I think Walsh could be a fantastic CHB, great height plenty of dash.

S.A Saint
Club Player

BringBackMadDog wrote:Generally with the Irish players, most if not all end up playing as defenders because it requires less natural football instincts than playing forward. Defenders can be more reactive and run directly at the play whereas forwards have to know where and when to lead and the the best place to position yourself to win the ball its a far more proactive area to play and therefore much harder to teach a bloke who has never played the game. I think Walsh could be a fantastic CHB, great height plenty of dash.
Might be another reason why goose was delisted??

thirty-seven!?
Club Player

BringBackMadDog wrote:Generally with the Irish players, most if not all end up playing as defenders because it requires less natural football instincts than playing forward. Defenders can be more reactive and run directly at the play whereas forwards have to know where and when to lead and the the best place to position yourself to win the ball its a far more proactive area to play and therefore much harder to teach a bloke who has never played the game. I think Walsh could be a fantastic CHB, great height plenty of dash.
Worth remembering though that he has played his gaelic career as a forward - not a wingman like many of the other irish recruits. But i do see your point. Hopefully the awareness of and ability to use space which is needed in AFL is also applied in Gaelic footy... One can only hope. Also, playing as a forward, one would hope he can kick the thing straight...

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

I understand what you're saying, but Setanta O'hailpin's background is hurling and not football at all, yet he now plays CHF for Carlton (albeit he played a few years down back first)

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!