Lunch with Sheeds

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

firthy
Club Player

Lunch with Sheeds

at the East Fremantle Yacht Club --- Said about St Kilda -- wrong decision not to to recruit Cousins ,would be invaluable to our Club -- St Kilda, Footscray & Collingwood round and round and round in circles they go and it will keep on happening. Thought I would share the thoughts of Chairman Kevin with you all.

Please let me live long enough to see it happen.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

would have been handy in the big 1

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:would have been handy in the big 1
So would have Judd been.

Mistake not to draft him in 2003.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Dunno what the obsession on this forum is a bout cousins he goes alright for Richmond but not great, and would struggle to get a midfield role with the saints.

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Lunch with Sheeds

firthy wrote:at the East Fremantle Yacht Club --- Said about St Kilda -- wrong decision not to to recruit Cousins ,would be invaluable to our Club -- St Kilda, Footscray & Collingwood round and round and round in circles they go and it will keep on happening. Thought I would share the thoughts of Chairman Kevin with you all.
Fat lot of good he did the Tiges this year. Wasn't it Big Kev who convinced the Tiges to draft him and then he declared them premiership contenders? The kind of hype a player like that brings to a club, especially coming from those circumstances, is dangerous to a list who is still yet to prove themselves and the Richmond players and supporters obviously believed all the unjustified optimism fueled by the media.

Yes, a Cousins in his 05 Brownlow form would have been a great asset to the Grand Final, but a lot of those who are now saying 'told you so' are saying so with the assumption that we still would have had an equally as a good a season had we drafted him. Wasn't it supposed to be, draft Cousins or you might as well go back and rebuild? This is only my opinion as I'm not getting into the 'would have, should have, could have' of this, but I think he would have been just a quick fix. Never underestimate what kind of influence a player like Cousins can bring to a club, both positive and negative. Especially to a club who feel they are in need of a messiah.

Bad management is bad management
Saints43
Club Player

Fat lot of good he did the Tiges this year.
Does that logic work? How much would Nick Dal Santo have improved Melbourne's ladder position last season?

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Ah Sheedy! The most over rated person in football. More nonsense from the king of irrelevance. Still desperately trying to remain on the agenda, but is being increasingly ignored by the media as it realises how much crap he talks. Now that he is no longer a coach, his babble is seen for what it is. A desperate attention seeking device. Sad really. Remember his recent snipe at Jobe Watson?

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Saints43 wrote:
Fat lot of good he did the Tiges this year.
Does that logic work? How much would Nick Dal Santo have improved Melbourne's ladder position last season?
I'm sure the Richmond crop of the 86,000 who flooded the MCG for Round 1 are still scratching their heads about what went wrong. Tigers for top four, Cousins fifth in Brownlow betting during the pre-season.

Point is simple, don't assume we still would have been a premiership contender this year had we recruited Cousins, as things don't always pan out as you expect.

undecided
Club Player

has any1 thought of the possibility of cousins being drafted by Richmond even if we wanted to get him???

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Is this the same coach who continually re-drafted recycled players so he could say he was the one who turned their career around? THe same coach that said the bombers were 'going' to draft Selwood, but decided to draft Gumbleton instead? There is a reason why no club wanted him after he left the bombers - b/c the game has passed him by and everyone knows it. If Leigh Matthews had said it I would have given the comment some credibility.

I for one am glad that we didn't draft Cousins - will pay off long term in my opinion.

Milton66
SS Life Member

Sheedy was BC's personal mentor, and without him, he would not have ended up at Richmond.

All this from the same man who wanted to trade Lloyd, then said the Bombers were silly to retire him. :roll:

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Cousins Schmousins :lol: :lol:

stinger
Saintsational Legend

firthy wrote:at the East Fremantle Yacht Club --- Said about St Kilda -- wrong decision not to to recruit Cousins ,would be invaluable to our Club -- St Kilda, Footscray & Collingwood round and round and round in circles they go and it will keep on happening. Thought I would share the thoughts of Chairman Kevin with you all.
had a lengthy chat with the odd ball once...he had absolutely no respect for the st kilda football club...actually sneered at us.......wanker..... :evil:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
firthy
Club Player

I wanted to ask him about Harvey and his -- I wouldn't coach that rabble snipe at us -- but time ran out. Would've love to have said, who's coaching rabble now, right in the middle of Freo Territory.

Please let me live long enough to see it happen.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:Is this the same coach who continually re-drafted recycled players so he could say he was the one who turned their career around? THe same coach that said the bombers were 'going' to draft Selwood, but decided to draft Gumbleton instead? There is a reason why no club wanted him after he left the bombers - b/c the game has passed him by and everyone knows it. If Leigh Matthews had said it I would have given the comment some credibility.

I for one am glad that we didn't draft Cousins - will pay off long term in my opinion.
Is that also the same coach who won 4 flags?

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:
Moods wrote:Is this the same coach who continually re-drafted recycled players so he could say he was the one who turned their career around? THe same coach that said the bombers were 'going' to draft Selwood, but decided to draft Gumbleton instead? There is a reason why no club wanted him after he left the bombers - b/c the game has passed him by and everyone knows it. If Leigh Matthews had said it I would have given the comment some credibility.

Was once a great coach but now a desperate, old clown, crying for attention by forecasting odd-ball prophecies.

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

stinger wrote:
had a lengthy chat with the odd ball once...he had absolutely no respect for the st kilda football club...actually sneered at us.......wanker..... :evil:
Always got that impression. Even when they were cellar-dwellers, they always lifted for us.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
This is true - Mark harvey shared the same attitude about our club sneering hed "never go to that rabble".

Kev's reached his use by date - he just doesnt know it.

Sadly on Cousins - I agree with him .....would he have been the GF difference?....No. A very handy ADDITIONAL midfield rotation -you bet.

Still, its history now but IMO we are 1 quality mid short still UNLESS Luke Ball becomes elite.

“Yeah….nah””
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

We should take note,Sheeds is a genius....remember he said richmond could win the flag this year...genius knowledge of the game

Bring back the Lockett era
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

A bit odd, but he will be remembered as a premiership coach.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Yes it is. And since 2002 did very little at the bombers to assist them. One thing he was good at was delegating - thank God for that or they would have been in some real trouble (more than what he left them in)

Every coach reaches his use by date - Sheeds reached his about 03/04. If he was considered such a genius then don't you think some other clubs would have shown even a smidgeon of interest in him once he was moved on?

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
So would have Judd been.

yeah it was... that was a tricky one at the time though

Cousins on the other hand... not so tricky. R u glad we got Begley instead?

Moods
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:
joffaboy wrote:
So would have Judd been.

Don't reckon the choice was b/w Begley or Cousins - the choice was whether to draft Cousins or not. Full Stop. WE chose not. On the evidence that was presented to the club at the time the decision was made, it would have been reckless to proceed with the Cousins draft.

In hindsight Cousins has proven to be a good pick up for the tiges. Good on him. I won't say good on the tiges, b/c I don't reckon they even wanted to draft him themselves. The weight of supporter backlash left them no choice in the end. From what I heard, everything pointed to the fact that Cousins hadn't changed much at all - let's hope for Cousins sake he continues playing good footy and stays away from trouble.

Would Cousins have helped us win a flag? I say no. I reckon the amount of high pressure big games we played in the end would have taken it's toll on him and his hammy. Tiges games and the intensity most of them are played at would have assisted him to get through easier.

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:
skeptic wrote:
joffaboy wrote:
So would have Judd been.

Don't reckon the choice was b/w Begley or Cousins - the choice was whether to draft Cousins or not. Full Stop. WE chose not. On the evidence that was presented to the club at the time the decision was made, it would have been reckless to proceed with the Cousins draft.

In hindsight Cousins has proven to be a good pick up for the tiges. Good on him. I won't say good on the tiges, b/c I don't reckon they even wanted to draft him themselves. The weight of supporter backlash left them no choice in the end. From what I heard, everything pointed to the fact that Cousins hadn't changed much at all - let's hope for Cousins sake he continues playing good footy and stays away from trouble.

Would Cousins have helped us win a flag? I say no. I reckon the amount of high pressure big games we played in the end would have taken it's toll on him and his hammy. Tiges games and the intensity most of them are played at would have assisted him to get through easier.
You only have to look at the quality of the Richmond midfield to realise that maybe Cousins is just the best of a bad lot. They were in the bottom 2 teams all year. I don't think this translates in to a winning midfield. He may have helped us for the 1st half of Round 1, then he would tear a hammy and wouldn't have been involved in the first half of season. Then he probably would have struggled to get back in the team like Maxy and Goose.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

would you preferred Cousins or Dempster on the day?