anymore delistings

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

JABBER
Club Player

anymore delistings

with one week to go will we have any more delistings. I think we could see up to 2 more players go

trevor barker
undecided
Club Player

Brad Howard.

If he doesn't it is a joke.

Leigh Fisher should consider himself very lucky if he doesn't get delisted. Hasn't done anything in a long time.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

undecided wrote:Brad Howard.

Leigh Fisher should consider himself very lucky if he doesn't get delisted. Hasn't done anything in a long time.
Have you never heard of contracts? They may be negotiating a payment or they may keep them another year because of a contract.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Have you never heard of contracts? They may be negotiating a payment or they may keep them another year because of a contract.
No plugger - you just delist them no matter what - doesn't matter if you breach the contract and you are sued therefore costing you twice as much - doesn't matter if the players in question may have a stellar year next year (probably wont but it has happened before).

No just sack them because an internet forum deems it so.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

No plugger - you just delist them no matter what - doesn't matter if you breach the contract and you are sued therefore costing you twice as much - doesn't matter if the players in question may have a stellar year next year (probably wont but it has happened before).

No just sack them because an internet forum deems it so.

I actually thought all contracts ran out when a player was out of form and all were automatically extended when a player was in form but what happens if he then loses form. Is he in contract or out of contract. Its very confusing.

undecided
Club Player

If we delist them we just have to pay out the remainder of their contracts don't we?

ace
Saintsational Legend

The present delistings allow:
2 new veterans off the list - Hayes and Baker
2 permanaent rookie promotions - Dawson and Miles
2 national draft picks - Nos 32 and 60
2 rookie pre selections of former NSW scholarship holders - Duncan and Widner
1 rookie pre selection of an international player - Walsh
2 rookie draft picks - Nos 20 and 36 (assumes Gold Coast has the first 5 picks only - I am not clear on their rights here)

This means there is no requirement to delist any more players.
The only reason to delist any more players would be the hope to get someone better from the national, pre season and rookie drafts.

I have not seen any news on Maguire and Ball re-signing.
Their manager Paul Connors has been on holiday the last week so we may see some action this coming week.
Should either or both fail to re-sign that would create further national / pre season draft picks.

Leigh Fisher and Brad Howard may look lucky to be still listed but unless better players can be expected with late draft pciks in the nationa,l pre season and rookie drafts they may yet survive.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote: Leigh Fisher and Brad Howard may look lucky to be still listed but unless better players can be expected with late draft pciks in the nationa,l pre season and rookie drafts they may yet survive.
If they do survive for another year then they will be monties to be the first 2 delisted at the end of the 2010 season....

The list changes for 2025 have begun, always an interesting time for an avid supporter.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:
ace wrote: Leigh Fisher and Brad Howard may look lucky to be still listed but unless better players can be expected with late draft pciks in the nationa,l pre season and rookie drafts they may yet survive.
If they do survive for another year then they will be monties to be the first 2 delisted at the end of the 2010 season....
How was their form in 2010?

SinCitySaint
Club Player

People say we should keep Howard and Leigh Fisher unless something better can be picked up late in the draft but I don't subscribe to that theory. Neither of them is within a bulls roar of making the team and neither has significant improvement in them. Would it not be better to have a speculative pick late in the draft for a kid who has some question marks over him. It probably won't give you a player that will make it but it least he is a chance, whereas Howard and Fisher are certaintly not.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SinCitySaint wrote:People say we should keep Howard and Leigh Fisher unless something better can be picked up late in the draft but I don't subscribe to that theory. Neither of them is within a bulls roar of making the team and neither has significant improvement in them. Would it not be better to have a speculative pick late in the draft for a kid who has some question marks over him. It probably won't give you a player that will make it but it least he is a chance, whereas Howard and Fisher are certaintly not.
If they are under contract we would have to pay them out. They may not want to do that.

xander
Club Player

We are probably just waiting on Ball & Goose. If both of them didn't re-sign and we had delisted fisher we would have 5 picks in a pretty poor draft.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:If they are under contract we would have to pay them out. They may not want to do that.
It didn't matter last year when we de-listed Fiora!

That showed that if a player isn't going to help us be successful then he is not going to take up a spot on the list. Can't imagine Fisher and Howard being paid that much money to prevent the club from paying out an early contract.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Xander says "We are probably just waiting on Ball & Goose. "

He may have something there.

ace
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
SinCitySaint wrote:People say we should keep Howard and Leigh Fisher unless something better can be picked up late in the draft but I don't subscribe to that theory. Neither of them is within a bulls roar of making the team and neither has significant improvement in them. Would it not be better to have a speculative pick late in the draft for a kid who has some question marks over him. It probably won't give you a player that will make it but it least he is a chance, whereas Howard and Fisher are certaintly not.
If they are under contract we would have to pay them out. They may not want to do that.
Why did YOU give them multi year contracts Plugger66.
Last edited by ace on Sun 25 Oct 2009 11:20am, edited 1 time in total.

Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote:
plugger66 wrote:If they are under contract we would have to pay them out. They may not want to do that.

That showed that if a player isn't going to help us be successful then he is not going to take up a spot on the list. Can't imagine Fisher and Howard being paid that much money to prevent the club from paying out an early contract.

Well why arent they delisted yet then? Last year has nothing to do with this year. Firstly they may still be delisted and secondly i doubt you or I or anyone on this site knows how the salary cap is going or the reasons they are being kept at the moment.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Life Long Saint wrote:

Well why arent they delisted yet then? Last year has nothing to do with this year. Firstly they may still be delisted and secondly i doubt you or I or anyone on this site knows how the salary cap is going or the reasons they are being kept at the moment.
Their contract money would go under the Salary Cap for 2010 plus whatever we paid for a draftee/recycled player.

Therefore we would unnecessarily squeeze our SC. Am I reading this right?

We have heard whispers about SC pressure - wouldn't this exacerbate it?

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
ace
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Life Long Saint wrote:

Their contract money would go under the Salary Cap for 2010 plus whatever we paid for a draftee/recycled player.

Therefore we would unnecessarily squeeze our SC. Am I reading this right?

We have heard whispers about SC pressure - wouldn't this exacerbate it?
I think contract payouts can be included in the current year salary cap but only if space remains.

Geelong have found an interesting loop hole to pay out Egan's next year's contract money.
Seems they intend to terminate his contract a year early by mutual consent - no payout required.
Then Geelong appoint him a coach (in charge of beer drinking) for next year.
They pay his coaching salary outisde of the salary cap.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Life Long Saint wrote:

To answer your first question...How the hell would I know? All I am pointing out is that we have set the precedent in paying out blokes early. Geez...forgive the forum for speculating about an option! There'd be nothing to discuss on here if everyone was armed with all the facts!

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

I would imagine that whether Ball stays or goes could impact on some other players some players being retained as if Ball stays his contract would be much greater than some other players.

No Ball..and $$$ are free to keep players.
Ball stays and $$$ will be short.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

xander wrote:We are probably just waiting on Ball & Goose. If both of them didn't re-sign and we had delisted fisher we would have 5 picks in a pretty poor draft.
Yes, the futures of Goose, Bally and 2-3 others will be dependent on discussions this week. Unfortunately, these talks will involve Paul Connors !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:
xander wrote:We are probably just waiting on Ball & Goose. If both of them didn't re-sign and we had delisted fisher we would have 5 picks in a pretty poor draft.
Yes, the futures of Goose, Bally and 2-3 others will be dependent on discussions this week. Unfortunately, these talks will involve Paul Connors !!
They also involve players who have enough brains to make decisions based on what they want to do not what a manager may want them to do. I'd be pretty sure Connors managers other Saints players who havent had issues with the club.

james rose
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
bobmurray wrote:
Gold :D

To the top
SS Life Member

Leigh Fisher played some very good AFL football from game 1 against West Coast as a mid-sized defender.

He then lost time due to a savage injury and whilst given plenty of opportunity at AFL level since, including as a tagger including on Goodes successfully as I recall, he has not been able to cement a spot.

To call his career as over may be premature because opportunity may again re-surface.

I am of a view that, as with some others, he may have bulked up a bit too much and lost his pace with it.

That said he should be an ideal opponent for the likes of a Chapman - so that is the challenge for Leigh Fisher.

As for Howard, he was a speculative Draft Pick exclusively because of his athletic prowess and it was acknowledged that he had the game of Australian football to master.

I recall in the game versus Hawthorn at the MCG, when we had 23 to pick from, he did a few instinctive, running, evasive plays down the wing which said he had something above the ordinary.

He created some space in a game where space was denied all players.

The apprenticeship in defence would indicate that he is still learning the game because he is being taken too the ball when his attributes indicate that he should be a generator who finds the ball himself and then creates space with his pace and evasion skills.

I would still give him time.

We have speculated with him (and Raymond and Sweeney plus some others now delisted) on the basis we did so why now delist 3 years in to speculate equally elsewhere with a very late pick in what we are told is an ordinary Draft?

My concerns are the need to have cover for our more mature brigade, those nearing or over 30 yars of age, and having ready made replacement options ready to go.

As an example Steven for Milne and maybe Peake for Baker.

Plus McEvoy, Stanley and McGrath for Gardiner and King from 2011 onwards.

As with all players, we see what we see which includes a couple of VFL games on TV from which we can not take much and AFL performances.

The coaching panel see much, much more than we do - plus they set the agenda for each and every player.

So let's not be too hasty in our summaries of players and where they are at.

Of some interest may be another Jones or Miles from the WAFL or someone from the SANFL.

Players who have established in those competitions and have the desire and the attributes to further step up.

That is where the speculation may well come from this year - but you then compare to Leigh Fisher and Howard and see where the up-side is.

Because there has to be up-side.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

james rose wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
bobmurray wrote:
Gold :D
It doesn't even warrant Bronze...

Tugger knows those 2 players are list cloggers...

I just hope the List Manager is realistic and is able to dump the cloggers he wants to,contracts and salary caps not withstanding.... :roll:

The list changes for 2025 have begun, always an interesting time for an avid supporter.