Another GT "Gem"... I agree 100%!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Milton66 wrote:
SENsaintsational wrote:A funny thing happened on my way along the Brighton foreshore......
Guess what movie was on TV the other night?
Do tell...

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Talk about a waste of space!

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:Talk about a waste of space!
Quite a relevant comment. GT wouldn't like it though....although he's not qualified to comment himself.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
Milton66
SS Life Member

SENsaintsational wrote:
Milton66 wrote:
SENsaintsational wrote:A funny thing happened on my way along the Brighton foreshore......
Do tell...
Groundhog Day.

But I didn't watch it though... I'm not a big fan of seeing the same thing over and over again. :?

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Milton66 wrote:
SENsaintsational wrote:
Milton66 wrote:
Do tell...
Groundhog Day.

But I didn't watch it though... I'm not a big fan of seeing the same thing over and over again. :?
And yet you started this thread!!! Phil?

:lol:

Milton66
SS Life Member

SENsaintsational wrote:
Milton66 wrote:
SENsaintsational wrote:
Milton66 wrote:
Do tell...
Groundhog Day.

You are incorrect. This thread was not started as a GT v RL argument.

It was started based on a recent comment by GT.

.LIAR

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Milton66 wrote:
SENsaintsational wrote:
Milton66 wrote:
SENsaintsational wrote:
Milton66 wrote:
Do tell...
Groundhog Day.

.LIAR
I'm not sure the comment counts as 'recent' any longer!!

.PHIL

Milton66
SS Life Member

SENsaintsational wrote:
Milton66 wrote:
SENsaintsational wrote:
Milton66 wrote:
SENsaintsational wrote:
Milton66 wrote:
Do tell...
Groundhog Day.

.LIAR
I'm not sure the comment counts as 'recent' any longer!!

.PHIL
They were when I started the thread.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

bump

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Just read the first page of this thread. can someone quickly summarize the next 51 pages.

fingers
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Just read the first page of this thread. can someone quickly summarize the next 51 pages.
GT asks question. Saintsational gets sidetracked and goes nuts.

Milton66
SS Life Member

The AFL fixture is rigged according to GT, and I agree with him 100%.

Given the imbalance of the number of teams and therefore the inability for teams to play each other twice... a system should be in place whereby over a number of years, each team has no disadvantage and travels equally interstate.

The travel factor cannot be fixed IMO due to interstate teams needing to travel very other week.

However, It's time to put a stop to the corruption of the fixture in order to maximise revenue and ratings.

As GT said, the system lacks any integrity.

To change a fixture simply to accomodate a few trades of high profile players, especially when said players are drunks or thugs is beyond comprehension.

Either the AFL extend the H&A so that each team can play each other twice, or a proper rotational fixture that spans over 3 years be established.

markp
Saintsational Legend

Milton66 wrote:As GT said, the system lacks any integrity.
Is GT qualified to comment on a lack of integrity?

Milton66
SS Life Member

markp wrote:
Milton66 wrote:As GT said, the system lacks any integrity.
Is GT qualified to comment on a lack of integrity?
You know what? I would have never thought of that untilyou raised it.

I agree with his comments, but in answer to your question, then I guess the answer is no... given the way he was appointed.

Saints43
Club Player

Milton66 wrote:... given the way he was appointed.
The selection process for GT had to be a sham.

To implement his & Butterss plan to 'bottom out' - by keeping the very best talent at the club, releasing mid range players, and to stock up on the best kids available - to work.
Try and remember that this had never been done before. It was GT and Butterss who first understood how to use the system to the clubs advantage. It was a revolutionary idea.

It would have been impossible to appoint a career coach and tell him 'Here is how it's going to work: We've got a plan to use the draft system to set this club up. And at the end of a couple of years you'll have won just a few games and be considered a laughing stock of the competition. When do you want to start?"

Remember every second Patrick Smith article starting with "Cornflakes, who has won 3 and a half games out of 37, yesterday said…."

Surely people can understand why there was a public process and a private process. It had to be done. For the good of the club. Whether people think GT should still have been coach five years later is a different argument.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Here we go again. The last post has just given impetus for another 52 pages!

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Saints43 wrote:
Milton66 wrote:... given the way he was appointed.
The selection process for GT had to be a sham.

To implement his & Butterss plan to 'bottom out' - by keeping the very best talent at the club, releasing mid range players, and to stock up on the best kids available - to work.
Try and remember that this had never been done before. It was GT and Butterss who first understood how to use the system to the clubs advantage. It was a revolutionary idea.

It would have been impossible to appoint a career coach and tell him 'Here is how it's going to work: We've got a plan to use the draft system to set this club up. And at the end of a couple of years you'll have won just a few games and be considered a laughing stock of the competition. When do you want to start?"

Remember every second Patrick Smith article starting with "Cornflakes, who has won 3 and a half games out of 37, yesterday said…."

I cannot understand that people cannot understand why there was a public process and a private process. It had to be done. For the good of the club. Whether people think GT should still have been coach five years later is a different argument.
FWIW, regardless of whether the process was "hey Grant, want a job?" or a panel of experts creating longlists and shortlists of candidates, doing psyche tests etc. it's still a process.

The scars that Grant Thomas has wrought on Saintsational far outweigh his actual relevance to our history. He was coach for a few years, we rebuilt under him, we took a couple of runs at the flag and didn't get there. He did some things well, he did other things badly.

While whether we're better or worse off as a result of his tenure is mildly interesting. The quality of the finer points of the quality of his selection process is plain obsessive... which of course doesn't and should prevent it's debate, but at page 52 of the thread, folks, we've got issues! :)

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
Saints43
Club Player

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:FWIW, regardless of whether the process was "hey Grant, want a job?" or a panel of experts creating longlists and shortlists of candidates, doing psyche tests etc. it's still a process.
Of course, but I'm just pointing out why the club publicly lied about the process of appointment. Is it a reflection on the personal character of GT & Butterss? I don't think so - I think it was necessary to implement the recruitment policy of the club.

It's not much different from saying 'such and such should come up for Saturday' when he's hobbling around a hospital ward... it's a lie in the interests of the club.

Milton66
SS Life Member

Saints43 wrote:
BAM! (shhhh) wrote:FWIW, regardless of whether the process was "hey Grant, want a job?" or a panel of experts creating longlists and shortlists of candidates, doing psyche tests etc. it's still a process.
Of course, but I'm just pointing out why the club publicly lied about the process of appointment. Is it a reflection on the personal character of GT & Butterss? I don't think so - I think it was necessary to implement the recruitment policy of the club.

It's not much different from saying 'such and such should come up for Saturday' when he's hobbling around a hospital ward... it's a lie in the interests of the club.
Ok, so there are core and non-core processes?

Is that why Blight was sacked? Because he wanted to win?

Why was Hamill contemplating walking out when Blight was sacked?

Were the players a part of this vision?

If this was the plan, then why employ Blight in the first place?

And why recruit high calibre players like Gherig, Hamill and Voss if you're bottoming out?

Even if you are corect, then we tanked... which is disgraceful.

Apart from that, please keep this on topic re the fixture. :D

Saints43
Club Player

Milton66 wrote:
Saints43 wrote:

Ok, so there are core and non-core processes?

Is that why Blight was sacked? Because he wanted to win?

Why was Hamill contemplating walking out when Blight was sacked?

Were the players a part of this vision?

If this was the plan, then why employ Blight in the first place?

And why recruit high calibre players like Gherig, Hamill and Voss if you're bottoming out?

Even if you are corect, then we tanked... which is disgraceful.

Apart from that, please keep this on topic re the fixture. :D
Yes, there are core and non-core processes. That's what I posted.

I still don't really know why Blight was sacked.

I don't know if the players were part of the vision. That's a really interesting question. I suppose it would have to have been sold to Loewe, Harvey, Hamill etc.

It was the plan after Blight was sacked.

Gherig, Hamill and Voss were recruited for the 2001 season. We started the clear out of mid range players after that.

We invented tanking.

The fixture is inequitable.

Go Sainters Go
Club Player

ATTENTION MODS.
Why don't you put a stop to this - it is nothing more than a post building exercise for certain posters on this site. 90% is just trash.

Once a "Saint" always a trueblooded "Saint"
realdeal
Club Player

Go Sainters Go wrote:ATTENTION MODS.
Why don't you put a stop to this - it is nothing more than a post building exercise for certain posters on this site. 90% is just trash.
I second that.

I certainly hope these people aren't all grown men.. :?

Milton66
SS Life Member

To state that people want to discuss issues and have some fun along the way says more about yourself.

Some of us like spending time here, even if you don't.

Perhaps if we started a new thread evertime a player farts, you'd be happier??

If you don't like it, then bugger off.

If it's gone for 52 pages, then obviously, others are willing to comment and participate... even if you don't.

Seriously. :roll:

And yes, I am a grown man. WTF does that have to do with anything. It's not my fault if I'm not stuck in some dead end job where I can't get access to the internet.

Talk about moral judgement. :roll: :roll:

It's an open forum FFS and people are entitled to participate as often or as little as they want to.

what gives people like you the right to judge others?

I bet if I looked at your life, I'd find aspects which would bore me to tears, or aspects which seem totally foolish to me... but am I judging you?

FFS. :roll:

Go Sainters Go
Club Player

1297 posts - above CONFIRMED.

Once a "Saint" always a trueblooded "Saint"
Milton66
SS Life Member

Go Sainters Go wrote:
1297 posts - above CONFIRMED.
Haven't you realised that those of us with high post counts pick up more chicks? :shock: