Saints players LIVID with Luke Ball

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BaysideSaint
Club Player

Winmar7Fan wrote:This kid has given 100% for the club since he started to the point of being so smashed up his body can't perform to the level it could.

Now the Coaching Staff don't value him the same and are treating him accordingly.

So he's trying to make the most of his last couple of years he probably has left to get what he can for himself, retire and be forgotten to live out the rest of his life managing a lot of permanent aches and pains.

Unless I'm missing some big factor here whats wrong with that?

you missed the part where he was knocked-out cold (i forget against whom) and hasn't been the same since.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:
Here's what the past however many pages have taught us:
It's also taught us, or reinforced to us, that many SS posters are completely and utterly unable to contain their emotions and retain any semblance of logic when it comes to the St Kilda Footy Club.

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

BaysideSaint wrote:
Winmar7Fan wrote:This kid has given 100% for the club since he started to the point of being so smashed up his body can't perform to the level it could.

Now the Coaching Staff don't value him the same and are treating him accordingly.

So he's trying to make the most of his last couple of years he probably has left to get what he can for himself, retire and be forgotten to live out the rest of his life managing a lot of permanent aches and pains.

Unless I'm missing some big factor here whats wrong with that?

you missed the part where he was knocked-out cold (i forget against whom) and hasn't been the same since.
Might have been against Melbourne, when he was taken out :shock: - don't know whether players can do that now

Stand your ground :shock:
St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:
St. Luke wrote:I still can't believe this is happening. Imagine playing for Melbourne??? Or worse...the Tigers for god sakes! :roll: :roll: :? ................ :lol: Surely things can't have been that bad??? :)
When you try to do a deal with the devil (the filth), you shouldn't be surprised if you end up in hell (richmond).
I didn't think hell would be that bad though??? :lol:

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
ace
Saintsational Legend

There is a place for players who want to play footy - it is called the Amateurs.

There is a place for players who want to play a role in a successful football team - it is called the St Kilda Football Club.

Like a company of actors about to put on a play everyone has a role.
But then there is one actor in the company who doesn't like the play they have been rehearsing.
It doesn't allow him to show of his superior acting skills.
He doesn't like his character in the play, he doesn't have enough lines.
He doesn't like his lines, he wants to make up his own lines.

He gets told that this is the play, this is your character and these are your lines.

This self-centred actor wants to leave and join another company.
But then he finds that the other company has found another actor to play different role and so can't include him in their company.

The self-centred actors name is Luke Ball.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

We do know that Luke understood that his role was to play high rotations as more of a burst player, he is just not content in that role.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:There is a place for players who want to play footy - it is called the Amateurs.

There is a place for players who want to play a role in a successful football team - it is called the St Kilda Football Club.

But then there is one actor in the company who doesn't like the play they have been rehearsing.

He gets told that this is the play, this is your character and these are your lines.

But then he finds that the other company has found another actor to play different role and so can't include him in their company.

I agree. I cannot stand a person who may not get a game at club wanting to leave so he probably get a game at another club. What is he thinking.

Beej
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:There is a place for players who want to play footy - it is called the Amateurs.

That's certainly one way of looking at it.

Here's another:

Like a business, there are employees who do their jobs. Each employee has their own job to do.
But then there is one employee who is not content with the job he's doing. He feels he's deserving of more. He feels he should have a more influential role within the company. He has ideas that he thinks can improve the company. But for just one thing, he's stuck in the mail room and nobody will listen to him. But he's not satisfied. This employee is proud, you see. He has ambition.

This proud and ambitious employee has the courage to dream of better things. He asks for a promotion and they tell him he's out of his depth so he quits. He leaves the company that he's been with since he was a kid in search of a job where he can use the skills he knows he's capable of. He wants to work where he feels appreciated, where people listen to him and ask more of him than to deliver a file to level 10 please, and two sugars, ta.

And then, on the other side, you have the employee who's content with what he's doing. He knows he's in a dead-end job and realises he'll be doing the same thing for the rest of his life. But he's simple, he doesn't mind. His job is paying the mortgage, that's enough. He doesn't want to be challenged, he's comfortable where he is. He feels that if they're the cards he's been dealt in life, so be it.

Which employee are you?

"Some people see things as they are and ask 'Why?' Others dream of more than 46% and ask 'Why not?'"?
Last edited by Beej on Thu 15 Oct 2009 4:57pm, edited 1 time in total.

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

ace wrote:
..........The self-centred actors name is Luke Ball.
Yes, so self centered he gave the club all his body could offer for 7-8 years. :shock: (and was well rewarded too) Captained the club

The in and under player like Hayes getting the ball out to more high profile team mates. Off course now he's not much good because he wants to leave :shock:
Last edited by MCG-Unit on Thu 15 Oct 2009 5:00pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stand your ground :shock:
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

OLB wrote:

That's certainly one way of looking at it.

Here's another:

Like a business, there are employees who do their jobs. Each employee has their own job to do.
But then there is one employee who is not content with the job he's doing. He feels he's capable of more. He feels he should have a more influential role within the company. He has ideas that he thinks can improve the company. But for just one thing, he's stuck in the mail room and nobody will listen to him. But he's not satisfied. This employee is proud, you see. He has ambition.

This proud and ambitious employee has the courage to dream of better things. He asks for a promotion and they tell him he's out of his depth so he quits. He leaves the company that he's been with since he was a kid in search of a job where he can use the skills he knows he's capable of. He wants to work where he feels appreciated, where people listen to him and ask more of him than to deliver a file to level 10 please, and two sugars, ta.

And then, on the other side, you have the employee who's content with what he's doing. He knows he's in a dead-end job and realises he'll be doing the same thing for the rest of his life. But he's simple, he doesn't mind. His job is paying the mortgage, that's enough. He doesn't want to be challenged, he's comfortable where he is. He feels that if they're the cards he's been dealt in life, so be it.

Which employee are you?

"Some people see things as they are and ask 'Why?' Others dream of more than 46% and ask 'Why not?'"?

You obviously do not understand this site. You can be the most loved and respected footballer in the side and rated by many way above what his ability really is but once you want to leave you become a money hungry player who had no football ability at all.

Milton66
SS Life Member

Then there's the employee who has ambition, but sadly does not have the capacity to match that ambition.

What should the employer do?

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
Milton66
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:

I agree. I cannot stand a person who may not get a game at club wanting to leave so he probably get a game at another club. What is he thinking.
Do you have anything intelligent to add to the thread other than putting people down because of their views? :roll:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Milton66 wrote:Then there's the employee who has ambition, but sadly does not have the capacity to match that ambition.

This site seemed to think he had plenty of capacity 3 weeks ago but once the employee wants to get a new job his capacity seems to have dropped.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

You obviously do not understand this site. You can be the most loved and respected footballer in the side and rated by many way above what his ability really is but once you want to leave you become a money hungry player who had no football ability at all.
Can you provide links to all the posters on this site who called LB money hungry and that he had no football ability.

Dont let the truth get in the way of your high handed moralising :roll:

Just because you are unable to see that there is more to an issue than a rigid black or white answer, dont tar us all with the same brush.

Luke Ball was going to be a superstar when drafted. Easily as good as Judd and Hodge. Through no fault of his own, his body let him down and his pace and kicking penetration deserted him.

He concentrated on what he could do best - in and under, getting the hard ball. he did that well, but unfortunately never rose to elite level.

Still more than capable of playing AFL, but he was never going to challenge to be a champion after his body gave out on him.

To say, as you have that he was indanger of not getting a game at the Saints is ludicrious.

Where did he start in the GF? If thats someone who is not going to get a game with the Saints, I am seeing things.

Of course this is about money.

He was offered a contract in June but woudl not sign. If the contract was for $500k a year not $350k, do you think he would have put himself through the last few weeks?

But just because it is about money, doesn't mean there is not another whole range of issues as well.

I will wait with expectation you links to where posters were calling Ball money hungry and he had NO footballing ability.....

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Milton66 wrote:Then there's the employee who has ambition, but sadly does not have the capacity to match that ambition.

This site seemed to think he had plenty of capacity 3 weeks ago but once the employee wants to get a new job his capacity seems to have dropped.
Apparently the club seems to have thought his capacit had dropped because they lowered his contract from $600k to almost half.

So who is wrong? The supporters? The club?

Why do you speak in absolutes?

Hardly anyone during the Ball debate was emphatic in their views as you are inferring. Most were either vaguely for or vaguely against Ball going.

To speak of the site as a homogenious mass is rather silly.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Milton66 wrote:
Do you have anything intelligent to add to the thread other than putting people down because of their views? :roll:
That is a rhetorical question, isn't it Milton66?

Lance or James??

Hollywood
Club Player

Luke Ball within rights

RL has not spoken a single word to Luke Ball since GF day. He was told he is 5th in on ballers and will not get any more game time than he is currently getting. Given initially a 3 year deal at half price and then take it away. How would you feel? Saints would not bend over to Pies - fair enough. One career finished as StKilda. We want running backs - fair enough. Don't lambaste Luke Ball.

Smile in adversity
Rise in a test
Inner glow when challenged
Together we will find success
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Milton66 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Cannot see one word where i have put the poster down. You have really lost your sense of humour lately. Is there at least 2 people using the Milton66 sign in.

By the way is it Ok to put one of our star players down. Must be now that he may leave the club.

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Re: Luke Ball within rights

Hollywood wrote:RL has not spoken a single word to Luke Ball since GF day. He was told he is 5th in on ballers and will not get any more game time than he is currently getting. Given initially a 3 year deal at half price and then take it away. How would you feel? Saints would not bend over to Pies - fair enough. One career finished as StKilda. We want running backs - fair enough. Don't lambaste Luke Ball.
Well said Doc.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Can you provide links to all the posters on this site who called LB money hungry and that he had no football ability.

Dont let the truth get in the way of your high handed moralising :roll:

Just because you are unable to see that there is more to an issue than a rigid black or white answer, dont tar us all with the same brush.

Luke Ball was going to be a superstar when drafted. Easily as good as Judd and Hodge. Through no fault of his own, his body let him down and his pace and kicking penetration deserted him.

He concentrated on what he could do best - in and under, getting the hard ball. he did that well, but unfortunately never rose to elite level.

Still more than capable of playing AFL, but he was never going to challenge to be a champion after his body gave out on him.

To say, as you have that he was indanger of not getting a game at the Saints is ludicrious.

Where did he start in the GF? If thats someone who is not going to get a game with the Saints, I am seeing things.

Of course this is about money.

He was offered a contract in June but woudl not sign. If the contract was for $500k a year not $350k, do you think he would have put himself through the last few weeks?

But just because it is about money, doesn't mean there is not another whole range of issues as well.

I will wait with expectation you links to where posters were calling Ball money hungry and he had NO footballing ability.....
You say of course it is about money and you say I see things in Black and White. How do you know it is about money. I suggest it is about getting a game at a club and why wouldnt he be worried about that. Dropped twice this year and we have since recruited Lovett and Peake and with Armo and Steven coming on he may have just seen the writing on the wall.

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
By the way is it Ok to put one of our star players down. Must be now that he may leave the club.
So you think he is a star now that he is leaving???

The tide must be out...

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
Milton66
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
Milton66 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Cannot see one word where i have put the poster down. You have really lost your sense of humour lately. Is there at least 2 people using the Milton66 sign in.

Get your facts straight...

I was and still am a big fan of Luke. Facts remain that he has not lived up to the hype, and he no doubt sees that he hasn't achieved his maximum potential.. for whatever reason.

Others within the team are moving beyond him, partly due to his body, and I suspect mostly due to the new game plan which is physically taxing and requires a different type of athleticism.

Luke is free to leave IMO, and good luck to him.

However, there are a few things that don't add up in his departure.. of which none of us really know.

Just as you cannot blast Luke for wanting to leave, you cannot point the finger at the club for not getting the trade done.

The fact that they rate him as the 5th onballer, doesn't make him a bad player... it just means there's 4 players now clearly ahead of him in our 22.

So for another team, he may well be a #1 mid.

The club has therefore every right to expect fair compensation for Luke inthe broader view of the football world, and not defined by where he stands in our pecking order.

By choosing to leave, then he has basically refuse the role designated by the club... as is his right.

But why should the club simply let him go with out fair compensation... let alone to a top 4 competitor in Collingwood, who by all accounts have courted him, and then refused to make the trade?

Let's not abuse Luke, but also, let's not blame the club for looking after its own interests.

And yes, I do have a sense of humour. :D

You're just not that funny. IMHO of course. :wink:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Well lets get some facts right. I havent blamed the club at all. i think they probably should have done the deal but its not really important. i just dont like the way people have put Luke Ball down because he has decided to leave for reasons none of us know. There was a thread earlier this year where people rated Bally either as good a player as Judd which is stupid, but a better person than Judd and that they wouldnt swap him even if they had the chance. Now it seems to some that Bally is a bad person just because he wants to leave for reasons unknown.

Thats what I dont like.

markp
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:This site seemed to think he had plenty of capacity 3 weeks ago but once the employee wants to get a new job his capacity seems to have dropped.
This site can 'think'?

It has how many members?

Perhaps with differing views on a multitude of subjects?
joffaboy wrote:To speak of the site as a homogenious mass is rather silly.
This site agrees.

saintpeter
Club Player

I think that Luke Ball has given a hell of a lot to this club. A regular sight has been Luke with various parts of his body bandaged. He was very good in the GF. The kid is 25, mid way or more (depending on the body) through his career. He owes it to himself and his family to maximise his opportunities and income in the next few years. I would love him to stay at St Kilda and that might still happen - I still think he has much to contribute. However, if he were to leave the club I would not think the less of him. Good luck mate, you are a top bloke.