Pick 32

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

Pick 32

Our first pick in this years draft is pick number 32. So i thought i would take a look at some other players to be taken with this pick:

1995: Nigel Credlin
1996: Jim Plunkett
1997: Troy Johnson
1998: David Gallagher
1999: Daniel Giansiracusa
2000: Sam Hunt
2001: Campbell Brown
2002: Luke Jericho
2003: Brayden Shaw
2004: Brent Prismall
2005: Bernie Vince
2006: Kurt Tippett
2007: Levi Greenwood
2008: Liam Jones

2009: ????

It's interesting to look at how much more accurate recruiters become over time. 4 of the last 5 players taken at 32 look to be, or are good players.

Personally i would be wrapped if we could pluck a player of similar quality to Greenwood, Tippett, Vince, Prismall, Brown or Gia.

But as this draft is said to be weak, i doubt there is much chance of that happening

ace
Saintsational Legend

Regretably as only players born May 1991 through to December1991 will be facing their first draft, only two thirds of the normal talent will be available.
January 1992 through to April 1992 is only available to Gold Coast at the moment, they can take 12 of these players now.

Consequently pick 32 has pick 48 quality.
That is late 3rd round.
Last year St Kilda took Rhys Stanley at pick 47 and Nick Heyne at pick 48.
GOP is the best that can be expected especially as recruiters are so much better at putting players in the correct order.

I prefer to put picks in perspective this way, some in the media who can't handle the mathematics just say the draft talent lacks depth or is weak this year.

St Kilda should not expect manna from heaven in this draft.
Any manna from heaven will be playing againt us next year.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
saintnick12
Club Player

ace wrote:Regretably as only players born May 1991 through to December1991 will be facing their first draft, only two thirds of the normal talent will be available.
January 1992 through to April 1992 is only available to Gold Coast at the moment, they can take 12 of these players now.

That is late 3rd round.
GOP is the best that can be expected especially as recruiters are so much better at putting players in the correct order.

I prefer to put picks in perspective this way, some in the media who can't handle the mathematics just say the draft talent lacks depth or is weak this year.

Excuse my ignorance as I'm fairly new around here, but what does GOP stand for?? :oops:

vacuous space
SS Life Member

That's an incredible success rate. In ten years Hunt and Shaw (F/S) are the only ones you could label outright busts. I would be surprised if it were anything other than an anomoly though, like pick 7 winning the Rising Star the last three years.

As ace points out it's a weak draft. OTOH, 04 was a shocker of a draft and Geelong still managed to get a player out of the pick.

EDIT: Added Shaw and fixed spelling.
Last edited by vacuous space on Mon 12 Oct 2009 6:23pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
xander
Club Player

saintnick12 wrote:
ace wrote:Regretably as only players born May 1991 through to December1991 will be facing their first draft, only two thirds of the normal talent will be available.

That is late 3rd round.

Excuse my ignorance as I'm fairly new around here, but what does GOP stand for?? :oops:
Good Ordinary Player i think

cowboy18
Saintsational Legend

saintnick12 wrote:

That is late 3rd round.

Good ordinary player (a Jack Dyerism apparently?)

saintnick12
Club Player

Thanks Guys. :D

rexy
SS Life Member

That is late 3rd round.

Ace have you calculated what percentage on average of the draft is players born between january and april of the bottom age year. Ie statistically do an even number of players come from each month in the year or do are a bigger precentage from one super draft month? Apparently Leos are natural leaders. Is August the best month for drafting future captains?

Also do you know whether more of the higher draft picks come from the top of the age bracket or the bottom and if you do then does this mean that the lower down the draft order you fall the more compromised your pick becomes. Ie maybe pick 13 is really worth pick 14 but pick 68 is only worth pick 704? If this is the case then if James Hird was drafted this year he could have actually been the only brownlow medalist ever drafted outside the top 1000, perhaps he is a Leo.

Hope we pick the best available kid at 32, the list in the OP certainly shows that if you select well there is very good footballers available well down the order.

Maybe this year?
oneteam
Club Player

Re: Pick 32

[quote="#1GILL"]

Personally i would be wrapped

Wrapped ? in paper?

or rapt as in rapture?

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

What came of young Nigel Credlin? Tht's what I wanna know...

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Would absolutely love a Bernie Vince running around for us, I'm putting money on him for the brownlow next seaoson...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
rexy
SS Life Member

Armoooo wrote:Would absolutely love a Bernie Vince running around for us, I'm putting money on him for the brownlow next seaoson...
Staistically very unlikely that another player called Bernie Vince would even be in the draft, let alone still available at pick 32 in a compromised year.

Bernie is not a very common name these days.

Maybe this year?
Beej
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:Would absolutely love a Bernie Vince running around for us, I'm putting money on him for the brownlow next seaoson...
This.

Loved watching him play this season.

Probably not "world class" at any one facet of the game, just a very tidy player all round.

mick13
Club Player

#1GILL wrote:

Wrapped ? in paper?

or rapt as in rapture?
raped? rapped?

Love it when people attempt to right that word.

LULZ

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

#1GILL wrote:Our first pick in this years draft is pick number 32. So i thought i would take a look at some other players to be taken with this pick:

1995: Nigel Credlin
1997: Troy Johnson
1998: David Gallagher
1999: Daniel Giansiracusa
2000: Sam Hunt
2001: Campbell Brown
2002: Luke Jericho
2003: Brayden Shaw
2004: Brent Prismall
2005: Bernie Vince
2006: Kurt Tippett
2007: Levi Greenwood
2008: Liam Jones

2009: ????

It's interesting to look at how much more accurate recruiters become over time. 4 of the last 5 players taken at 32 look to be, or are good players.

Personally i would be wrapped if we could pluck a player of similar quality to Greenwood, Tippett, Vince, Prismall, Brown or Gia.

But as this draft is said to be weak, i doubt there is much chance of that happening
Interesting post. There certainly are some good ones there. At least this post has broken the monotonous Luke Ball threads. On ya Gill!

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Trivia Question...anyone know what else Jim Plunkett was famous for?

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Is 1998 the Gallagher that plays for Sandy now?

ace
Saintsational Legend

rexy wrote:

That is late 3rd round.

Ace have you calculated what percentage on average of the draft is players born between january and april of the bottom age year. Ie statistically do an even number of players come from each month in the year or do are a bigger precentage from one super draft month? Apparently Leos are natural leaders. Is August the best month for drafting future captains?

Also do you know whether more of the higher draft picks come from the top of the age bracket or the bottom and if you do then does this mean that the lower down the draft order you fall the more compromised your pick becomes. Ie maybe pick 13 is really worth pick 14 but pick 68 is only worth pick 704? If this is the case then if James Hird was drafted this year he could have actually been the only brownlow medalist ever drafted outside the top 1000, perhaps he is a Leo.

Hope we pick the best available kid at 32, the list in the OP certainly shows that if you select well there is very good footballers available well down the order.
Astrology can be fun but when things are serious, I prefer mathematics and science.

There is no reasonable reason why the day of the year on which you are born would affect your ability to play football.
Every day of the year can be assumed to be statistically equal.
Being younger does not effect a persons prospects but only delays physical development by a few months.
Younger kids do have a greater probability to have one more year to complete at school.

My understanding is that the AFL eventually wants January to April to always be in the following draft to better align the draft with leaving school. (A consequence of the school starting age).

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
remboy
SS Hall of Fame

saint66au wrote:
Wasn't he the kid who did the Aeroguard ad with Max Walker?
I think that's the only thing he's famous for.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

remboy wrote:
saint66au wrote:
Correct...and correct lol

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
chook23
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:
remboy wrote:
saint66au wrote:
Correct...and correct lol
What about his 3 flags in a row as coach of Heidelberg!!

saint4life
#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

mick13 wrote:
#1GILL wrote:

Wrapped ? in paper?

or rapt as in rapture?
raped? rapped?

Love it when people attempt to right that word.

LULZ
Do you mean 'write'?

#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

Milan Faletic wrote: Interesting post. There certainly are some good ones there. At least this post has broken the monotonous Luke Ball threads. On ya Gill!
Thanks mate, just doing my bit for the sanity of most forum users :P

noblejohn
Club Player

Iceman234 wrote:Is 1998 the Gallagher that plays for Sandy now?
Yes it is
drafted by crows then swapped to carlton
Very good junior from Parkmore in DDJFL

The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long