Where are we at?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

To the top
SS Life Member

Where are we at?

Firstly, from the 2005 squad which went into that season as Flag favourites, only L Fisher, Hayes, Baker, Montagna, Riewoldt, Gram, Clarke, Goddard, Koschitzke, S Fisher, Dal Santo, Blake, Maguire, McQualter, Gwilt and Milne remain for 2010 (subject to de-listings).

Many of these players were just starting out in 2005 with only Hayes, Baker and Milne as experienced AFL footballers.

The 2009 squad, so different to the 2005 Squad, took all before them - including on Grand Final day.

Yes, there were easy, close range, no pressure shots on goal which missed or did not make 20 yards to score.

Yes, there were defensive lapses costing 3 goals when twice we defended to a free but exposed player in the corridor where Geelong were in numbers - and that player did not have the support of free fall back assistance behind him, voice command from that source or support from switch runners spread back and accross. No doubt the TEAM has had the message from the Coaching Panel over this break down in team rules.

The use of Dawson when so closely marked on the defensive goal line put undue pressure.

You do not defend to dangerous positions regardless of who is there.

Mind you, 3 goals from these TEAM errors should have been 2 goals 1.

If you compare the Geelong List from 2005 with their current List you will realise why the Cup is morally with St Kilda and why it is ours alone to lose in 2010.

A score line of 9.14 to 8.12 or 14.9 to 12.8 was the result play dictated.

But, sometimes these things happen because it is life.

We have moved that far ahead since 2005.

Our losses since then have included Peckett, Hamill, Clarke (unfortunately), Thompson, Jones, Hudghton, Gehrig, Voss, Ball, Powell, Penny, and Harvey.

For 2010, I would suggest ;-

Peake Dawson Gilbert
Gram Maguire S Fisher
Montagna Hayes Dal Santo
Lovett Koschitzke Lynch
Schnieder Riewoldt Steven
Gardiner Goddard Jones

Clarke Ray Armitage King

McEvoy Baker Blake

I would look for Peake to bring his skills to a small defensive role to relieve Gram to even more mid field presence, for Clarke to replicate the development of Gram thru the mid field and forward, for Lynch to establish including for his defensive actions and for Maguire to take the confidence gained from playing a full season of footy to the next level, a level he deserves to be at.

With McEvoy and Stanley, we are in no hurry.

They are still very young.

We look to repeat the message from 2009 in 2010 - and onwards because that is where we have positioned to since 2006 and continue to position to.

That is a testament to the Coach and we all know exactly what he demands.

No compromise.

Unrelenting effort - and then a further unrelenting effort until the result is delivered and reputations are enhanced and are unchallenged in this era of modern day footy.

BaysideSaint
Club Player

footy is like golf.
the H&A season is getting the ball onto the green in regulation and recognising that if you put enough putts on-line one will eventually fall.

To the top
SS Life Member

No comments?

The next interesting subject will be the use of our remaining Draft Picks and whether we use them all including for the likes of a Begley again plus any pre-season activity for un-contracted players, salary cap allowing.

We have taken our time with our young players obtained in the Draft so I would again expect those drafted to be given the benefit of a long apprenticeship in the VFL.

Then there are the de-listings which are obviously still to come.

The obvious departures to look at apart from Hudghton, Allen, Ball and X. Clarke (and Lovett and Peake in to compensate) would be among those who did not figure at AFL level in 2009 and were not on the Rookie List.

Plus there is the option of further up-grades from the Rookie List.

Is there another Dawson around the traps?

Milton66
SS Life Member

Enjoy the off season.

Start an organic vegie patch.

Take up a hobby.

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Milton66 wrote:Enjoy the off season.

Take up a hobby.
I thought "they" were called "herb gardens" !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Can't wait to see Lovett burning it up thru the center.

Also Goddard to play HFF and even FF.

Nee!
S.A Saint
Club Player

last few posts that people have put up teams. everyone has left out baker...wtf is going on....prob in our 5 best players during the final series and our only true small shut down defender and suddenly he has no room in our team but peake has...some people have very very short memories ffs...

Milton66
SS Life Member

Eastern wrote:
Milton66 wrote:Enjoy the off season.

Take up a hobby.
I thought "they" were called "herb gardens" !!
Not if they're hydropinc and in your roof.

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

S.A Saint wrote:last few posts that people have put up teams. everyone has left out baker...wtf is going on....prob in our 5 best players during the final series and our only true small shut down defender and suddenly he has no room in our team but peake has...some people have very very short memories ffs...
I am not sure it really matters. Most on here dont pick the side.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

I reckon this will be a pretty damn good team

B: Gilbert, Dawson, Baker
HB: Gram, Blake, S.Fisher
C: Montagna, Hayes, Lovett
HF: Schneider, Riewoldt, McQualter
F: Milne, Koschitzke, Lynch/Gwilt

Foll: Gardiner, Goddard, Dal Santo
Int: Armitage, Ray, Jones, King

Depth: Clarke, Peake, Steven, McEvoy, Geary, Eddy, Maguire

We've added a pacey, goalkicking midfielder/half forward and now just need to find a reliable third marking option. Then I think the team is pretty much complete and should make another strong attack on the flag in 2010.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:I reckon this will be a pretty damn good team

B: Gilbert, Dawson, Baker
HB: Gram, Blake, S.Fisher
C: Montagna, Hayes, Lovett
HF: Schneider, Riewoldt, McQualter
F: Milne, Koschitzke, Lynch/Gwilt

Foll: Gardiner, Goddard, Dal Santo
Int: Armitage, Ray, Jones, King

Depth: Clarke, Peake, Steven, McEvoy, Geary, Eddy, Maguire

We've added a pacey, goalkicking midfielder/half forward and now just need to find a reliable third marking option. Then I think the team is pretty much complete and should make another strong attack on the flag in 2010.
still not sure that team has the answer to the quick small fwd type aka Burns......but it does look ok......we are going to need Armo to step up into that Ball role failry quickly as Hayes cant dool al the grunt work on his own and I still see Dal/Montagna as basically outside deliverers (have improved their inside work heaps I might add but they aint in and under...)

Lynch is crucial if we can get some spark from him in seniors and just his pressure into fwd 50........I reckon it will really add another dimesnion...

“Yeah….nah””
Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Far too early.

Pre season, injury, form, changes in the game, improvement or lack of improvement in teams.

Lots of players you have left out, lots of players you have included.

Based on what. Some haven't played for us, most have, some carried injuries, some will come of age, some won't, some may retire, some may get injured.

Milton said it. And I can't even remember what he said because I have had a few. Something about growing herbs in the summer maybe. :shock: