Disappointed in the club

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Thompson4
Club Player

Disappointed in the club

Why would it be stated that 'if players want out, we'll move them on (paraphrasing), yet, when it comes to the crunch, Ball is now in limbo? Something (even draft picks even) is better than zilch if he goes into the drafts.

Andrew Thompson - The most underrated player in the AFL
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Re: Disappointed in the club

Thompson4 wrote:Why would it be stated that 'if players want out, we'll move them on (paraphrasing), yet, when it comes to the crunch, Ball is now in limbo? Something (even draft picks even) is better than zilch if he goes into the drafts.
Short term yes but not long term, if the saints get a rep for being easy targets all out=r trades in the future will be ripoffs (see freo).

savatage
SS Life Member

The bottom line is that OUR club doesn't get unfairly screwed out of a deal & that it doesn't help strengthen our competitors in the process. I applaud our club personally, I don't get your line of thinking at all here.

Thompson4
Club Player

Clearly it's dogged Ball and hurt the club's brand (clubs mightn't want to trade in the future see Port for details).

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Another point is that to allow Luke to move to Collingwood is going to improve them is'nt it. They finished only two spots below us.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

No other club has ever had any trouble trading with us.....infact we've always been good to deal with....apart with Collingwood,funny that

Bring back the Lockett era
GrumpyOne

Thompson4 wrote:Clearly it's dogged Ball and hurt the club's brand (clubs mightn't want to trade in the future see Port for details).
Crap.

New slogan for next year:

No-one f**ks with the Saints.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Thompson4 wrote:Clearly it's dogged Ball and hurt the club's brand (clubs mightn't want to trade in the future see Port for details).

No they wont offer up crap and then not negotiate at all, epecting us to cave in at the last moment.

If they want a saints player than they have to trade fairly.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Thompson4 wrote:Why would it be stated that 'if players want out, we'll move them on (paraphrasing), yet, when it comes to the crunch, Ball is now in limbo? Something (even draft picks even) is better than zilch if he goes into the drafts.
Even if it gives a free kick to another Top 4 side and we get a reputation for lying down and taking any offer??

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Thompson4
Club Player

Apparently the Sainters staff were pleased toa ccept pick 30 and Goldsack from what I read.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

from a heraldsun article I just read thought it pertained to this

It's about the pies trading not the saints
Same old story with the Pies: threaten to do wonderful things but in the end no one wants to deal with them because they are, well, Collingwood. Jolly is a big win given their ruck issues but the failure to land Fevola or Luke Ball hurts. While Fev was always a bit of pipedream, the fact Ball isn't a Magpie is a bad stuff-up.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/t ... 5785213602

Liam_G
Club Player

Ball dogged himself by nominating one particular club and standing firm on that one particular club. People who see this clearly will add this to the growing list of trades COLLINGWOOD have not been able to get done over the years, not St Kilda.

For St Kilda, it sends the message to other clubs that if you offer up crap, you'll get nothing. I'd rather get nothing (if Ball goes into the PSD) than get screwed again. Supporters for YEARS have complained that St Kilda have continually bent over for other clubs. Well guess what? Not anymore. And that's a damn good feeling.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Ball will still be moved on if he declines a contract with us.

ND or PSD...whatever.

Most on here would be pyssing and moaning if the club had of bent over and taken a poor trade.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

ausfatcat wrote:

No they wont offer up crap and then not negotiate at all, epecting us to cave in at the last moment.

If they want a saints player than they have to trade fairly.
Quite true & as for Port, everyone knew their stance after Stevens and now when the Hawks (notorious hard traders) want Burgoyne they weren't able to get him without satisfying Port.

Essendon, Freo & Brisbane would all be happy to say we're fair traders. Funny how we couldn't get a deal with Collingwood so what's changed in that picture? Collingwood were in it.

Quite happy with the way the club handled this, Ball is worth more than Pick 25, he has more credits than Jolly & McLean IMO. It had to be Pick 25 & a player Ross deemed suitable or a Pick btw 15 & 20 to give to the Dogs for Everitt or a Pick below 15 to use in the draft.

I hope Luke stays but id he doesn't I hope he tears it up for Melbourne, especially against Collingwood & Carlton.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Thompson4 wrote:Apparently the Sainters staff were pleased toa ccept pick 30 and Goldsack from what I read.
SO tell us exactly where you read that

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
saint75
SS Hall of Fame

Ball is welcome to move on - in the National or PSD. No one is forcing him to stay.

Why in hell would you accept a round 25 and 60 (??) pick for Ball when he *could* significantly make a difference to their structure next year and make them a *possible* challenge for the flag?

The value of Luke depends on the club he ends up at. For Collingwood he is worth a lot more. If he was going to a Melbourne or Richmond. Pick 25 would suffice for Richmond or Melbourne as his experience and ability will not aid them in a shot for the flag over the next 3-5 years. Not the case with a Collingwood, Geelong, Bulldogs, etc. We have to look after our own interests and the coaching staff and selectors did this over trade week. Really impressed with their work.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Milton66
SS Life Member

The club was looking after its own interests.

This includes getting fair value for any player who wants to be traded.

This includes not giving opposition teams a "free kick" when it comes to trading players.

The club is bigger than any individual... even Roo.

The club has done well IMO.

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
python
Club Player

didnt port win the flag the year after stevens left?

GeorgeYoung27
Club Player

Hasn't anyone realised that "Mr Thompson4" is a Collingwood troll. He/she comes around every time we play them and when something happens between our clubs. His/her usual ploy is to pretend he/she is a Saints fan and question the club. I get frustrated that every here is taking him/her at face value. Don't take "Mr Thompson4" so seriously.

The Saintsational Man
Club Player

I would let Collingwood try to f*** us either.

They overrate their players and we weren't falling for it.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

The Saintsational Man wrote:They overrate their players and we weren't falling for it.
Quite true, they overrate theirs and obviously underrate ours...explains the finals outcomes IMO.

Thompson4
Club Player

GeorgeYoung27 wrote:Hasn't anyone realised that "Mr Thompson4" is a Collingwood troll. He/she comes around every time we play them and when something happens between our clubs. His/her usual ploy is to pretend he/she is a Saints fan and question the club. I get frustrated that every here is taking him/her at face value. Don't take "Mr Thompson4" so seriously.
Thank you professor but that is not so.

And I read it online following an interview with Lyon on SEN.

saintbob
SS Life Member

Absolutely no excuse for the club or RL for the way they have treated Luke Ball.

He has been an outstanding servant to the St Kilda FC and for the club to treat him with such contempt is DISGRACEFUL.

Luke, for the first time in his AFL career was putting himself before the team, a team mind you who who made it abundantly clear that his future was limited as a senior player, and he asked to be traded so as to prolong his future in the game!!!

I imagine Luke feels gutted by this whole experience and rightly so, I hope he can get to a club of his choice and continues to have an excellent career.

St Michele
Club Player

Do you really think it is fair for a player of Luke's calibre who the Saints have put a lot of effort and support into to leave without any recompence.

Sorry in the big picture the club is doing the right thing, by letting him go to Collingwood for nothing we would have lost out. I am proud of what they did sticking to their guns, it just showes Collingwood did not really want Luke.

By the way I really think Luke is a great player and am sad to see him go but his leaving should not be to the disadvantage of the rest of the club.
Last edited by St Michele on Sat 10 Oct 2009 2:22pm, edited 1 time in total.

Michele
Goals are dreams with deadlines!!
saint75
SS Hall of Fame

Thompson4 wrote:And I read it online following an interview with Lyon on SEN.
...because everything written on line is true and accurate and they NEVER take anyone out of context.

For your information, St Kilda did try and move him on. We just were not going to be shafted in the process. Luke is able to go to Melbourne or Richmond now if he pleases. I believe that Port is showing interest also. I am sure Connors and his family would LOVE it if he made it to port.... :lol: :lol:

Fortius Quo Fidelius