Too Many Players From Other Clubs?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintWodonga
Club Player

Too Many Players From Other Clubs?

I like players who are molded in red, white & black.

At the moment we have more than normal amount of players from other clubs, what is your take on this? Does a club who grow together ie Geelong, play together. Or do second chancers peform bettewr?

In no order:

King
Schneider
Gardiner
Ray
Dawson
Gram
Peake
Lovett
Dempster

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
Moods
Saintsational Legend

Not sure. But we did better than 14 other clubs with this formula and came within 2 minutes of a flag. I trust the club with the way they are going.

Paul roos always said that drafting untried kids at senior level is over rated. Playing against kids and playing against men, you just don't know what you are going to get. The drafting of Schneider, Ray and Dawson was a master stroke I reckon and we've got young established AFL players for 10 years. The drafting of ruckmen was borne out of necessity.

Finishing on top gives you less scope to draft quality, especially in a weakened draft (which this year is meant to be)

In a perfect world, every player on the list would be drafted and debut at the saints - in a perfect world.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

I don't feel at all concerned about our drafting relatively young players like Gram (or Milne or Begley or even Dawson for that matter) who are recycled before they have established themselves at AFL level.

I guess what strikes me is the large number of recycled players we now have who were established first team players at their previous clubs and who were cut or traded for some reason or another. We now have a whole heap of these: Gardi, King, Schneider, Dempster, Ray, Peake and Lovett. If all 7 of these get selected in any one game next season it would surely be close to a record.

Notwithstanding the comments of Roos, it would be a far larger contingent of such players than the Swans have ever fielded.

To my way of thinking, this level of dependence on the rejects of other clubs is quite risky, but I have to have faith in the management and coaching team that took the club to a GF this season.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

If you look at the Stats from the Grand Final, all 5 recently acquired players from other clubs finished in our lowest 7 possession winners. I am not as pleased with this formula as others apparently are.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Speaks volumes about the shortsightedness of a string of coaches since Stan Alves left.

Lots of short term patching and too many Cayden Beetham's.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Beekay
SS Life Member

borderbarry wrote:If you look at the Stats from the Grand Final, all 5 recently acquired players from other clubs finished in our lowest 7 possession winners. I am not as pleased with this formula as others apparently are.
My goodness you are SUCH a tool! :lol:

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: Too Many Players From Other Clubs?

SaintWodonga wrote:I like players who are molded in red, white & black.

At the moment we have more than normal amount of players from other clubs, what is your take on this? Does a club who grow together ie Geelong, play together. Or do second chancers peform bettewr?

In no order:

King
Schneider
Gardiner
Ray
Dawson
Gram
Peake
Lovett
Dempster
we have the potential to look like a rag tag bunch of mercenaries. but everyone is originally from somewhere else at some stage... unless u are father son...

lovetts old man played saints reserves. so hes a true blue saint. take him off the list!

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Love to see your opinion on free agency Saint Wodonga :shock:

Milton66
SS Life Member

meh, either they can play or they can't. no point stocking up on unproven under developed players when your window is open.

I think we have the right mix.

Did we realy have the time to fully develop Mac? No.

Besides, the majority have been pretty young, and we've left the development to other clubs.

As the list gets older, then we cull, we trade, we draft.

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
HarveysDeciple

St.Kilda recruited approximately 9 kids last year, and will take a couple more this year.

We are fine in that regard, it's a good balance.

PJ
SS Life Member

Yeh you just have to look at Luke Ball - he was raised in the red-white and black and look how well he hung fat with the saints. Bring on the traded players.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
PJ
SS Life Member

Too many supporters with too few brains

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
Gurgman
Club Player

borderbarry wrote:If you look at the Stats from the Grand Final, all 5 recently acquired players from other clubs finished in our lowest 7 possession winners. I am not as pleased with this formula as others apparently are.
I repeat , this is something wrong with the water near the boarder

And i thought this was a forum
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Nah, I want all home grown kids - including several smokies, so if they aren't any good, we just can say "ahh well, it was a punt!", or if we have to take on players from other clubs, then they should be very nice people, with no priors.

At least Lyon nearly has got us to a flag and has given us a decent ride into 2010.

Gardy, Kingy, Lovett wouldn't have been touched by GT!

Milton66
SS Life Member

Anyone would think we run a clearance warehouse for rejects. FFS, don't people have enough brains to know that any recycled plaer is actually targeted??

The only notable excpetion was Charlie and to a lesser extent, Dempster.

Yep...

Gherig, Hamill, Voss and co... all rejects an all useless back then. :roll:

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

In no order:

King
Schneider
Gardiner
Ray
Dawson
Gram
Peake
Lovett
Dempster
I like my players playing in GF's..I dont actually care where they come from...but..

IF you'd rather we delist 5 of the above and replace them in the Round 1 side for 2010 with Geary, Eddy, Armo, McEvoy and Steven..just pop an email to Ross Lyon..Im sure he'll take it on board :roll:

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Milton66
SS Life Member

saint66au wrote:

In no order:

King
Schneider
Gardiner
Ray
Dawson
Gram
Peake
Lovett
Dempster
I like my players playing in GF's..I dont actually care where they come from...but..

IF you'd rather we delist 5 of the above and replace them in the Round 1 side for 2010 with Geary, Eddy, Armo, McEvoy and Steven..just pop an email to Ross Lyon..Im sure he'll take it on board :roll:
Yeah, it was obvious after the GF, how these plares didn't seem to care about the result, and actually looked quite happy. :roll:

Take a look at King, who's been there, done that... if that doesn't answer the question, nothing will.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Milton66 wrote:
saint66au wrote:

In no order:

King
Schneider
Gardiner
Ray
Dawson
Gram
Peake
Lovett
Dempster

Yeah, it was obvious after the GF, how these plares didn't seem to care about the result, and actually looked quite happy. :roll:

Take a look at King, who's been there, done that... if that doesn't answer the question, nothing will.
Oh and dont forget Milney...got him from Essendon..and he clearly wasnt affected by the result :roll: :roll: :roll:

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Milton66
SS Life Member

saint66au wrote:
Milton66 wrote:
saint66au wrote:

In no order:

King
Schneider
Gardiner
Ray
Dawson
Gram
Peake
Lovett
Dempster

Oh and dont forget Milney...got him from Essendon..and he clearly wasnt affected by the result :roll: :roll: :roll:
Milney's remosre seemd to resemble someone who accidentaly killed domes one else... Oh God! What have I done!!!!

Once the realisation of his fluffed shots on goal came back to haunt him.

Schneider has no such ramifications because he's from Sydney and doesn't give a stuff.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

The other reason we are active during trade week is that we choose not to fast-track our kids to fill roles....plus we havent been fortunate enough to land a kid that makes an immediate impact....and unlikely to happen in 2010 either with no pick til 30-odd.

Im really happy with their progress, but if one or two of Armo, Mac, Lynch or Steven had flown out of the blocks and demanded a senior place right from the get-go the way Rich, Selwood or Rioli did..perhaps we'd not be quite so active ?

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Milton66
SS Life Member

saint66au wrote:The other reason we are active during trade week is that we choose not to fast-track our kids to fill roles....plus we havent been fortunate enough to land a kid that makes an immediate impact....and unlikely to happen in 2010 either with no pick til 30-odd.

Im really happy with their progress, but if one or two of Armo, Mac, Lynch or Steven had flown out of the blocks and demanded a senior place right from the get-go the way Rich, Selwood or Rioli did..perhaps we'd not be quite so active ?
On a final note... people also forget that given our sustained success, we no longer have any real juicy draft picks.

SaintWodonga
Club Player

Gurgman wrote:
What is boarder?

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
Milton66
SS Life Member

SaintWodonga wrote:
Gurgman wrote:
What is boarder?
Boarder is person who live in house when first arriving in country and not speak much English.