He wanted to stay!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

chook23
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
chook23 wrote:
n1ck wrote:All of it.
not according to my reliable source
my reliable source say that this is incorrect.
my reliable disagrees with yours

so many reliable sources

saint4life
shmic_s
Club Player

heinz traditional ketchup i find is the most reliable. avoid the salt reduced stuff at all costs.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Milton66 wrote:
SainterK wrote:This explains why it was not explainable :shock:
Huh? Please explain?
If there is any truth to it, then Luke hasn't done any of the things that we were finding hard to believe were part of his character?

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

obviously none of us know who the others 'reliable source' is, and thats fair enough, but id trust mine ;)

aussiejones
Club Player

Ball needs a new manager and (possibly) a realty check re his career.

Could end up nowhere !!!!!1

Milton66
SS Life Member

n1ck wrote:obviously none of us know who the others 'reliable source' is, and thats fair enough, but id trust mine ;)
Ok, I trust yours.

So why was he put up for trade?

Once we establish this fact, then we can for an informed view.

Pretty simple, really.

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
Beej
Saintsational Legend

So then are we saying that the club removed the contract that was on offer to Ball?

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

I'd believe the thread heading. It seems way too strange to me that he wanted out. But Lyon himself came out and said publically he was disappointed that Ball wanted out.

There is something really odd going on with this whole scenario!

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
n1ck
Saintsational Legend

While he was offered a new deal (on a greatly reduced salary, obviously) he was told that he probably wouldnt be getting a huge amount of game time and that they would be quietly seeking a trade IF they could get a good deal for him.

Luke wants to play football for St.Kilda. He LOVES the club, he LOVES the boys but Luke wants to PLAY football first and foremost - its not about money or anything else.

Hes a very proud guy, a very loyal kid - dont forget he was one of the main guys taking offers less than his worth and keeping the group together after 2004/2005 - but he wants to play football.

Anyone calling him a Judas is a deadset flog.

As for the contract: its pretty normal for players to wait until the season is over before negotiating on new contracts. In fact its highly irregular for a high profile player to do this during a season - especially when finals and premierships are on the line.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

So why was he given a birth in the finals and GF.

Something is very fishy here.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

chook23 wrote:
xander wrote:As others have said it doesn't add up. Plus it appears we are only trying to trade him to collingwood but if we were trying to trade him we would shop him around to everyone.
correct

he wanted out

nominated coll...............club trying to accomodate
Way I see it as well.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Milton66
SS Life Member

Not defending the club here... but,

How do they rate Luke as a player?

I mean, does he fit the mould we now need?

Yes, he has great qualties, but are they what the club wants at the moment and going forward?

There's been many players who've wanted to stay and been either traded or axed.

Why, because the club didn't see them as part of the future.

Beej
Saintsational Legend

n1ck wrote:While he was offered a new deal (on a greatly reduced salary, obviously) he was told that he probably wouldnt be getting a huge amount of game time and that they would be quietly seeking a trade IF they could get a good deal for him.

Luke wants to play football for St.Kilda. He LOVES the club, he LOVES the boys but Luke wants to PLAY football first and foremost - its not about money or anything else.

Hes a very proud guy, a very loyal kid - dont forget he was one of the main guys taking offers less than his worth and keeping the group together after 2004/2005 - but he wants to play football.

As for the contract: its pretty normal for players to wait until the season is over before negotiating on new contracts. In fact its highly irregular for a high profile player to do this during a season - especially when finals and premierships are on the line.
I think if we all put ourselves in Luke Ball's shoes for just a second we'd understand the position he was in.

Former club captain. Former club champion.

An entire season of either playing 50% game time in the seniors or getting dropped and then being told you're going to be playing a bit-part role in the team next season, being the proud guy that everyone says he is, you would only be human if you felt unappreciated and undervalued.

The thing I don't understand is, why would Ross come out and say he's disappointed with Luke's decision if it was the club that effectively made the decision for him by telling him they were going to seek a trade?

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

OLB wrote:
n1ck wrote:While he was offered a new deal (on a greatly reduced salary, obviously) he was told that he probably wouldnt be getting a huge amount of game time and that they would be quietly seeking a trade IF they could get a good deal for him.

I think if we all put ourselves in Luke Ball's shoes for just a second we'd understand the position he was in.

Former club captain. Former club champion.

An entire season of either playing 50% game time in the seniors or getting dropped and then being told you're going to be playing a bit-part role in the team next season, being the proud guy that everyone says he is, you would only be human if you felt unappreciated and undervalued.

The thing I don't understand is, why would Ross come out and say he's disappointed with Luke's decision if it was the club that effectively made the decision for him by telling him they were going to seek a trade?
Exactly! I agree with both posts!

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Luke was once a kingpin at the saints...but form-wise no longer is. Others have gone past him.

Role if he stays is now as a support player.

If you believe what has been indicated Luke was not happy to be a support player and the saints and sought a more integral role at the Pies who lacked contested ball winners.

If he stays he like Mini has to suck it in and do the TEAM role offered.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saint75
SS Hall of Fame

n1ck wrote:Hes a very proud guy, a very loyal kid - dont forget he was one of the main guys taking offers less than his worth and keeping the group together after 2004/2005 - but he wants to play football.

$600K is taking less than he is worth.....?? :shock:

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Moccha
Saintsational Legend

A reliable sauce is one that still tastes good

Another opportunity awaits!
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Sorry. Nonsensical.

He could/can stay at the Saints.

He CANNOT expect guarantees about game time.

What player in their right mind can expect that? It's a team game for god's sake.

He CANNOT expect to be paid the ludicrous amount he was being paid because he was overpaid at first instance.

He cannot expect to ask the world when his body - cruelly, amittedly - stunts his capabilities.

Unfort for Luke, game's ain't played in ankle deep mud anymore...

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Saints43
Club Player

saint75 wrote:
n1ck wrote:Hes a very proud guy, a very loyal kid - dont forget he was one of the main guys taking offers less than his worth and keeping the group together after 2004/2005 - but he wants to play football.

$600K is taking less than he is worth.....?? :shock:
It was a back-ended contract. He was paid $600K this year (reportedly).

You would need to know how much he was paid in the first year/s of the contract to judge whether he has been over/underpaid over the course of the contract period.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Milton66 wrote:
Why wouldn't he be?

Spent a good chunk of the year in the 2s, then warmed the pine for half the GF.

To have an on-baller sit out that much of the game in such a high intensity match is clearly a sign he wasn't rated.

Whether it was Lyon, or someone else in charge of midfield rotations that doesn't rate him, is the only question I have.

But someone didn't. That's pretty obvious. Of you're not going to play him, get rid of him!

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:Luke was once a kingpin at the saints...but form-wise no longer is. Others have gone past him.

Role if he stays is now as a support player.

If you believe what has been indicated Luke was not happy to be a support player and the saints and sought a more integral role at the Pies who lacked contested ball winners.

If he stays he like Mini has to suck it in and do the TEAM role offered.
To be honest, this is the type of player I thought he was. He still might be for all I know. Clearly he is going because he wants more game time...but game time in what?? He'd be getting plenty in the VFL...is it the limelight he's seeking??? It's really got me beat!

Milton66
SS Life Member

rodgerfox wrote:
Milton66 wrote:
Why wouldn't he be?

To have an on-baller sit out that much of the game in such a high intensity match is clearly a sign he wasn't rated.

Whether it was Lyon, or someone else in charge of midfield rotations that doesn't rate him, is the only question I have.

But someone didn't. That's pretty obvious. Of you're not going to play him, get rid of him!
if he wasn't rated, why pick him in the first place?

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

We will test that theory over the next couple of weeks won't we? Surely if he wants to stay, he will now. Melbourne will get him otherwise.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Milton66 wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
Milton66 wrote:
Why wouldn't he be?

Now that is a good question.

Milton66
SS Life Member

rodgerfox wrote:
Milton66 wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
Milton66 wrote:
Why wouldn't he be?

Now that is a good question.
How do you rate him?