St.Kilda Team

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

groupie1
Club Player

Yeah, mate, you may be right. And if you are right, then our recruiting crew are quite brilliant.

ruthlessly so.

I do, i admit, underestimate the 'go-home' factor for the Irish.

Go live in Australia for a decade and make a living playing sport, which is not possible to do in Ireland - hardly the stuff of Marco Polo.

If someone came to me and said go live in Ireland for a decade playing sport, get to go home every Christmas, I'd be up for it for sure, especially if it was not a well paying sport here.

Much less the interstate thing. I don't honestly understand the problem.

Still, i know it happens every year players wants to go home.

Every cat be a different cat, as they say

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
spert
Saintsational Legend

A small amount of tinkering is all that's required to give us a good chance for a flag in 2010 -we lacked pace and creativity in the forward line and through the middle, and RL simply goes out and secures Lovett to fix that problem, and Peake may also be a good pickup purely for that purpose..we dont need much more. McQualter was one of our most important players this season, and inexperience probably explained his average finals series -the opposition woke up how good he was, and he will be better next season. Milne has no place in my team -a finals choker. Schneider did OK, just had a bad day with the boot in th GF..all forwards have those days.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Wouldn't be playing Goddard at half back unless he was the extra man. The prelim final showed he's not truly a backman and Hahn exposed him. Once put in the midfield, Goddard virtually won us the game. Looked like he was going to do the same thing in the GF until his unfortunate injuries.

I'd play Lovett on a wing. Milne is at his best when his back to the wall and he's truly challenged. He may well be fighting with schneider for a spot. At this stage I like schneider. Apart from a couple of inexplicable brain explosions in the GF, he applies more pressure and is a more rounded player than Milney.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Where is Tommy Walsh expected to play? Will he fill that position in 2010 FinaLS?

shmic_s
Club Player

i think milne's place could be up for grabs this season.

steven, armitage, lovett will all be pushing for places rotating between mid and forward. i think this is what ross is looking at. milne has been playing more in the midfield lately, along with schnider. maybe we're looking for that chapman, stevie j, ablett type rotation with our mid/small forwards.

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

My team for 2010:

B: Steven Baker, Zac Dawson, Sam Gilbert
HB: Sam Fisher, Jason Blake, Brett Peake
C: Nick Dal Santo, Lenny Hayes, Andrew Lovett
HF: Adam Schneider, Nick Riewoldt, Jason Gram
F: Brendon Goddard, Justin Koschitzke, Stephen Milne
Foll: Michael Gardiner, Leigh Montagna, Clint Jones
I/C: Farren Ray, David Armitage, Ben McEvoy, Andrew McQualter

Emg: Jarryn Geary, Tom Lynch, Jack Steven

R. Harvey 3 votes!
Club Player

It is funny how no one puts Raph Clarke in any of your teams, but you wait for it he will be in the starting 18 next year round one! This guy must have ransom photo's of the coach or something? I want him to do well and I give everyone in a saints jumper a go, but I don't think he is up to it, but you wait he will be playing rounnd one in the backline for us in 2010.

When Harvey played his first game in 1988, I was a 12yo wearing short pants and struggling with my readin', writin' and 'rithmetic in grade eight. Now, I'm a father of three and a retired AFL player. And he's still going. Amazing! - Michael Voss
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

R. Harvey 3 votes! wrote:It is funny how no one puts Raph Clarke in any of your teams, but you wait for it he will be in the starting 18 next year round one! This guy must have ransom photo's of the coach or something? I want him to do well and I give everyone in a saints jumper a go, but I don't think he is up to it, but you wait he will be playing rounnd one in the backline for us in 2010.
Why does every thread have to turn anti-raph?

emma
Club Player

I agree SainterK, it's getting very old.

danners
Club Player

i thought raph was brilliant at time this season.

had a shocker in the gf but if we got rid of the players that had a shocker we would be left with 5 players

21 years old, proud member since 1998!
HarveysDeciple

Re: St.Kilda Team

SaintSimmo wrote:I would like to see what everyone thinks the best 22 would be next year (considering everyone is fit) here is mine:

St.Kilda 2010
B: Jason Blake, Zac Dawson, Steven Baker
HB: Brendon Goddard, Sam Fisher, Sam Gilbert
C: Farren Ray, Lenny Hayes, Nick Dal Santo
HF: Andrew Lovett, Justin Koschitzke, Jason Gram
F: Stephen Milne, Nick Riewoldt, Adam Schneider
Foll: Michael Gardiner, Leigh Montagna, Clint Jones
I/C: Jarryn Geary, Raphael Clarke, David Armitage, Ben Mcevoy
Emg: Brett Peake, Jack Steven, Andrew McQualter

Gee after doing that you realize how hard ross lyons job of picking the team each week is when everybody is fit and IF ball stays would be even harder. With Peake, Steven pushing hard and maguire possibly in the team and gwilt there about. McQualter could be the unlucky player next year. If X is fit and at Stkilda i still can't find a spot in the team for him so i think he should head to brisbane. No room for Fev, Would like to see a Ben Mckinely in that team tho.
Swap Goddard and Gram's positions, then bring Mini in for either Geary or Clarke and that's the side for me.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:Where is Tommy Walsh expected to play? Will he fill that position in 2010 FinaLS?
Who the canal is Tommy Walsh?

What is in the water up there?

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
milney044
Club Player

FB: S.Gilbert, Z.Dawson, S.Baker
HB: A.Lovett, S.Fisher, J.Gram
C: L. Montagna, C.Jones, F.Ray
HF: A.Schneider, N.Riewoldt, B.Goddard
FF: A.McQualter, J.Koschitzke, S.Milne
Foll: M.Gardiner, L.Hayes, N.Dal Santo
INT: S.King, B.Peake, D. Armitage, J.Blake

Emg: R.Clarke, S.Dempster, J.Geary

*McEvoy would be close to emergency as well.
*I think Steven will push for selection next year which will be really handy. The smalls will have to play consistently well to keep their spots, which is healthy anyway as Milne is 30 next year so Steven should be looking to fill that void in the near future regardless.
* I think this is a very strong and balanced list with quality players throughout. I also think we have substantially strengthened our bottom 6.
*in my eyes our bottom 6 of that 22 our now Blake, Peake, Baker, McQualter, Schneider, Armitage, Ray.
Blake finished top 10 in the B&F, Bakes held a norm smith to no impact in a GF, McQualter averages a goal a game, Schneids can be a match winner and Ray can hold is own. Peake and Armo are unknown as of yet.
Looking at that, I'd say we're in good hands.

I was and am shattered about the way in which our season had to end...but bring on 2010 i say!!
Last edited by milney044 on Thu 08 Oct 2009 3:33pm, edited 1 time in total.

Destiny. It's in our hands.

Harder. Better. Faster. Stronger.
SaintWodonga
Club Player

Bernard Shakey wrote:
borderbarry wrote:Where is Tommy Walsh expected to play? Will he fill that position in 2010 FinaLS?

Just because border barry is on the border, doesn't mean he does n't know whats going on.

Tommy is an Irish bloke who stars in his league. We had him flown over summer 2008 - 2009. Now he is keen to come over. Looks a great prospect.

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
gosainters66
Club Player

peak will be in the side

SAINTS FOR EVER
shmic_s
Club Player

SaintWodonga wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:

Just because border barry is on the border, doesn't mean he does n't know whats going on.

Tommy is an Irish bloke who stars in his league. We had him flown over summer 2008 - 2009. Now he is keen to come over. Looks a great prospect.
doubt he'll play next year, imo. would have to settle in, get used to the shape of the ball etc. hopefully we gave him a sh1tload of sherrin's when he came over last year and he's been carrying them where ever he goes. looks like he'll be a key position player. lots of work for the boy to do yet.

ThePunter
Club Player

Baker Dawson S Fisher
Gilbert Blake Goddard
Gram Montagna Dal Santo
Lovett Riewoldt McQualter
Schneider Koschitzke Milne
Gardiner Hayes Jones
McEvoy Ray Armitage Geary