Demons playing Ball (Herald Sun)

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Lennon wrote:
groupie1 wrote:Guys

The classism is a bit rich.

Luke saw Steven and he saw Armitage and he saw his OP and saw the writing on the wall. If he wants to play as an integral part of a senior AFL team he needs to do it at another club.

If we didn't lose Luke Ball this year, we'd have lost Armitage the next.

I feel for the kid. Couldda been anything. Thomas threw him under packs when he was 19, injured, and still finding his feet. That's when you play them at half back and let them get used to the big bodies. Grant Thomas and that f***-knuckle incompetent mother fucker Chris Jones - guy who's dimwitted ineptitude cost us at least one, probably two flags (04 and 05) - the meat-and-potatoes guy (some will know what I'm talking about), destroyed Luke Ball and that's the sad thing about all this.
This.
You guys have to be joking. Next it will be GT's fault for the global financial crisis!!

GT was the one who allowed Ball to finish his schooling and rest his OP, even when we could probably have done with him playing in 03. He even allowed him to play footy for Xavier College as well! How many #2 draft picks get that luxury whilst getting paid 40k a year?

Should GT have held his hand and wiped his arse for him as well when he went to the toilet?

Luke Ball's best 2 years were 04 and 05. 05 he was AA. So instead of playing on the ball like he had his entire life, he should have been played off half back? He didn't have the physique to play anywhere but centre/rover and he did it bloody well. Should GT have told to stop putting his head over the ball and stop going at it so hard?

06 the OP set in. By then Ball was 21 years old. THese things happen. I'm sure Ball himself could have approached the club and told them he needed a rest. GT showed he cared about Ball and his future by giving him the year off and allowing him to concentrate on his schooling. Chris JUDD played his entire 1st year with both shoulders strapped after having operations on them. Were WC negligent?

GT may not have been a supercoach, but fair dinkum he can't be blamed for everything that goes wrong with this footy club! :shock:

markp
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:GT may not have been a supercoach
More of a superdouche really....

thirty-seven!?
Club Player

The Australian Newspaper is much more positive about a deal going through:

Another of the week's major deals, involving Luke Ball, may have progressed, however, with a three-way proposition that could take Ball to Collingwood, Andrejs Everitt from the Western Bulldogs to St Kilda and Collingwood's second-round selection, pick 30, going to the Western Bulldogs being explored last night.

The Saints had asked Collingwood on Tuesday for access to one of a list of young defenders in exchange for Ball.

While the Dogs have suggested that a pick inside 20 is required for Everitt, who is contracted for two more seasons, their tight salary-cap position may mean that they need to get the 20-year-old defender out in order to keep Jason Akermanis and Nathan Eagleton.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/st ... 32,00.html

spert
Saintsational Legend

Luke Ball had a good earlier career, plays with great courage, but OP affected his career, and now there are a lot of middle-size players with better foot skills and more pace, running around in the comp. RL knows he can't go ahead with a slowish midfield, and Ball knew his chances were slim against the young guys coming through. I hope Luke has a good career wherever he goes.

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

saint75 wrote:
SainterK wrote:An this from the same article...

Ball and his family are said to be disappointed with his lack of chances at St Kilda.
If you are good enough, you will get a spot. The only person Luke should be disappointed in is himself. He knows what the trademark is and what is required of him. Unfortunately, it seems he was not willing to do the work. It is obvious he learnt nothing from Sir Robert.

I'm still puzzled by his desire to leave the club. From all observations he's had ample opportunities given to him over the years at the club, and it's really only last season that he's hit a few stumbles and missed some games. Apart from that he had the OP problem and also appeared to be looked after.

I'd be willing to bet if he had to make some decisions over again, we wouldn't be talking about trading Luke Ball right now. It's just lunacy!

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
Moods
Saintsational Legend

St. Luke wrote:
saint75 wrote:

Ball and his family are said to be disappointed with his lack of chances at St Kilda.
If you are good enough, you will get a spot. The only person Luke should be disappointed in is himself. He knows what the trademark is and what is required of him. Unfortunately, it seems he was not willing to do the work. It is obvious he learnt nothing from Sir Robert.

I'm still puzzled by his desire to leave the club. From all observations he's had ample opportunities given to him over the years at the club, and it's really only last season that he's hit a few stumbles and missed some games. Apart from that he had the OP problem and also appeared to be looked after.

I'd be willing to bet if he had to make some decisions over again, we wouldn't be talking about trading Luke Ball right now. It's just lunacy!
I agree St Luke - and what's this Ball and his family are disappointed with his lack of chances at St Kilda. Is Luke still 15yrs old and failed to make the team for the finals? He's a 25yr old man for christ sake. He doesn't need his mum and dad pitching in on this. No probs consulting them for advice, but I'd be cringing that at 25 years of age my family is quoted at being disapoointed at my lack of game time.

fingers
Saintsational Legend

St. Luke wrote:
saint75 wrote:

This is exactly where I am. I don't get it. You would not leave a player like Luke out of the team (same as Dal Santo) unless there was something that they weren't doing that the coaches wanted them to do.

He has nobody but himself to blame if he thinks he has been hard done by. If there is a personality clash with the coach - suck it up. He's the coach. I wish him all the best and thank him for his service but that's it. If he was to stay at the Saints I don't know how I would feel - but then again, who cares how I feel.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

fingers wrote:
This is exactly where I am. I don't get it. You would not leave a player like Luke out of the team (same as Dal Santo) unless there was something that they weren't doing that the coaches wanted them to do.

He has nobody but himself to blame if he thinks he has been hard done by. If there is a personality clash with the coach - suck it up. He's the coach. I wish him all the best and thank him for his service but that's it. If he was to stay at the Saints I don't know how I would feel - but then again, who cares how I feel.
Agreed.

I will be interested in the coming season if Balls family will rail against Mick malthouse or Nathan Buckley if little Lukey doesn't get EXACTLY the opportunities that he and they think befits his stature :roll:

The more I read - the less I have respect for Luke Ball character - or lack of.

WTF has his FAMILY have to do with it? Opportunites pfft :roll: :roll: Lyon gave him the oportunity to play in a GRAND FINAL FFS.

He was given an opportunity to play AFL football with the Saints for another THREE YEARS.

Ask Jaydn Attard or Jarred Allen if they would like the limited opportunities of a Grand Final appearance and a three year deal on at least $300k a year at an AFL club.

First it was Collingwood offered $500k (to put pressure on the Saints to up their 3 year offer).

Then it was Ball would play for less than St.Kilda was offering at Collingwood (either this is BS or Collingwood has substantially revised its $500k a year).

Now it is untenable to stay at the Saints because of Ross Lyon.

Nasty RL who only played him in a GF and started him on the ground.

Fair Dinkum - I am saddened that Balls true colours have been shown.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
older saint
SS Life Member

joffaboy wrote:
fingers wrote:

Agreed.

I will be interested in the coming season if Balls family will rail against Mick malthouse or Nathan Buckley if little Lukey doesn't get EXACTLY the opportunities that he and they think befits his stature :roll:

WTF has his FAMILY have to do with it? Opportunites pfft :roll: :roll: Lyon gave him the oportunity to play in a GRAND FINAL FFS.

He was given an opportunity to play AFL football with the Saints for another THREE YEARS.

Ask Jaydn Attard or Jarred Allen if they would like the limited opportunities of a Grand Final appearance and a three year deal on at least $300k a year at an AFL club.

First it was Collingwood offered $500k (to put pressure on the Saints to up their 3 year offer).

Then it was Ball would play for less than St.Kilda was offering at Collingwood (either this is BS or Collingwood has substantially revised its $500k a year).

Sure Ball is behind some of this spin but Connors would be the main one. Trying to pump up the contract, gambled by leaving it on the table in June and backfired , now scrambling for his client to make up for the F*ck up he made back in June. Ball is obviously not happy with not playing but tough luck here to win premierships and 42 does ot go in to 22.

TazzieSaintGirl83
Club Player

I agree with the last two posts. I think faith was shown in Ball by offering the 3year contract.

Yeah the top 22 has been tough to crack but that shouldnt mean move on it should mean work harder to get back in. Just my opinion.

100% Sainter Girl Through and Through
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I am more saddedned by the following, and will keep it simple....

*The coaching staff were doing their best to prolong his career by the limited game time.

*He was offered a 3 year contract, and to my knowledge the offer wasn't ever pulled from the table even after things went sour.

*Players get dropped all the time, it's not exclusive behaviour to just Ross Lyon and the St Kilda football club.

I am not bitter towards him, I don't wish him any malice, but I will not enjoy seeing him go to another club with a body that has fallen behind his aspirations. He is likely to burn himself out sooner rather than later, trying to prove to himself that he is worthy.

St Michele
Club Player

Richter wrote:
Teflon wrote:
SainterK wrote:I want to know who this is....

Luke cannot deal with the prospect that he gave up Uni life and a professional career to be..... a GOP...... well, suck it up Luke - you may be a GOP but that is still far more than most of us make.
He is only young and if that is his problem he can still go on and do those things. At this stage in his life he is concentrating on football.

I am disappointed in his choosing to leave but you know what he should go where we ( the club) can get the best exchange for him and if that is Melbourne then so be it.

PS what is a GOP

Michele
Goals are dreams with deadlines!!
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Good
Ordinary
Player

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:Good
Ordinary
Player
That's kicking wouldn't hold up in the Picola league

Bring back the Lockett era
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

I look at Dal Santo - a guy whose put up and shown more than Luke Ball in his career IMHO and I think back to his dropping to VFL and the way he has responded......and then I look at Luke Ball who in this last year hit a few stumbles so went straight to his manager and mum/dad.

Time we faced some facts.

Balls best was not/never was and was never gonna be ANYWHERE near where clearly Luke himself thinks he sits....Im sure he sees himself as part of the Hodge/Judd trio - wrong Lukey boy......you're more in the Jess Smith fgroup from Nth.......GOP, tough but injury prone.

All his talk of "Harvs...learnt so much...."blah friggin blah meant nothing.

First sign of a bit of trouble for Luke and instead of standing his ground and showing some toughness, resilience aka Dal Santo.....he ran to Mum.

Very dissapointed.

“Yeah….nah””
ace
Saintsational Legend

older saint wrote:
joffaboy wrote:
fingers wrote:

Agreed.

Sure Ball is behind some of this spin but Connors would be the main one. Trying to pump up the contract, gambled by leaving it on the table in June and backfired , now scrambling for his client to make up for the F*ck up he made back in June. Ball is obviously not happy with not playing but tough luck here to win premierships and 42 does ot go in to 22.

Yep, you would think that Connors will be sweating today.
He was not happy with the income cut he would cop if Ball had re-signed with St Kilda.
He persauded Luke to follow this path and now that Collingwood has used its 1st and 3rd picks on Jolly they have nothing but players and pick 30 to trade.
We all no that Ego Eddie, like Jeff Dawk, does not want to give up any of HIS toys, oops sorry players.
Now Luke is staring at losing the one thing he really craves - the chance to win a premiership medal.

Connors has persuaded Luke that at Collingwood he would be in the team and they also are realistic contenders.
Now Connors has to work his butt off to find a way to get Luke to a reluctant to deal Collingwood.

Collingwood must be close to its salary cap now with Jolly's inclusion and probably can't afford Luke without cheating but that should not hold back Collingwood.

The Doggies have admitted to a salary cap problem.
Ackemanis has taken a $200,000 pat cut, but still the greed of Brain Lake, I'm All Australain, screw my team mates, has wiped that away and some.
Relieving the Doggies of player or players may be of use to Connor but I am sure it is he who will have to do the work not Collingwood.

Collingwood can simply shut up shop and leave Luke hanging.
And be happy in the knowledge that they sabotaged one of their rivals.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
saint75
SS Hall of Fame

ace wrote:
older saint wrote:
joffaboy wrote:
fingers wrote:

Agreed.

Yep, you would think that Connors will be sweating today.
He was not happy with the income cut he would cop if Ball had re-signed with St Kilda.
He persauded Luke to follow this path and now that Collingwood has used its 1st and 3rd picks on Jolly they have nothing but players and pick 30 to trade.
We all no that Ego Eddie, like Jeff Dawk, does not want to give up any of HIS toys, oops sorry players.
Now Luke is staring at losing the one thing he really craves - the chance to win a premiership medal.

Connors has persuaded Luke that at Collingwood he would be in the team and they also are realistic contenders.
Now Connors has to work his butt off to find a way to get Luke to a reluctant to deal Collingwood.

Collingwood must be close to its salary cap now with Jolly's inclusion and probably can't afford Luke without cheating but that should not hold back Collingwood.

The Doggies have admitted to a salary cap problem.
Ackemanis has taken a $200,000 pat cut, but still the greed of Brain Lake, I'm All Australain, screw my team mates, has wiped that away and some.
Relieving the Doggies of player or players may be of use to Connor but I am sure it is he who will have to do the work not Collingwood.

Collingwood can simply shut up shop and leave Luke hanging.
And be happy in the knowledge that they sabotaged one of their rivals.
Agree with everything but your last comment. This hasn't sabotaged us, made us stronger if anything. Ross has recruited around Luke during trade week. This is not a 'new' situation. If he has had a contract in front of him since June and has not signed it, you can pretty much guarantee that he had half his foot out of the door. How many players in Luke's position (dodgy groin, no pace, no kicking depth) would knock back a 3 year deal offering security (granted less money)? Not many. Even supporters were questioning why he hadn't signed the deal.

You didn't have to be Einstein to see he was disgruntled and had a greater view of his self worth than the rest of the footy world. Ross would have had this in mind as trade week approached. Luke has been struggling whether we like it or not. We will not miss a heartbeat going into next season with the addition of our new trades. Luke would have fought for a spot in the team.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
aussiejones
Club Player

If Luke was not performing , why did we offer him a 3 year deal at all ?

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

aussiejones wrote:If Luke was not performing , why did we offer him a 3 year deal at all ?
His form 'significantly' dropped off, interestingly enough, after the contract was put on the table. He was performing, but not to the level that was required or accepted at St Kllda. Their was a role for him at St Kilda, but he chose not to adapt/improve.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
stinger
Saintsational Legend

saint75 wrote:
aussiejones wrote:If Luke was not performing , why did we offer him a 3 year deal at all ?
His form 'significantly' dropped off, interestingly enough, after the contract was put on the table. He was performing, but not to the level that was required or accepted at St Kllda. Their was a role for him at St Kilda, but he chose not to adapt/improve.
he was still one of our better players .....top three or four .....in the first half of the grand final.....then his game time was significantly reduced....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
saint75 wrote:
he was still one of our better players .....top three or four .....in the first half of the grand final.....then his game time was significantly reduced....
Well he can look forward to playing more at the MCG, and hope that it rains?

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

stinger wrote:
saint75 wrote:

......because who in the hell knows with his groin whether he was capable of playing any more game time.......

We can all post different theories, doesn't make them accurate though :wink:

Fortius Quo Fidelius
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
stinger wrote:
saint75 wrote:
He better get 100% game time every game or his family will be very upset. :wink:

Lance or James??

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
SainterK wrote:
stinger wrote:
saint75 wrote:
He better get 100% game time every game or his family will be very upset. :wink:
He probably will, and he will probably retire alot earlier than they all anticipated :?

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

saint75 wrote:
My take is that Luke's form dropped off because his fitness levels dropped off. His fitness levels dropped off because he was unable to BOTH train during the week and play on the weekends because of his on-going condition. Dave Misson put Luke on a "mini pre-season" around the time he was dropped to the VFL (widely reported) in an attempt to get his body right. There may have been some differing opinions on the type of program Luke needed to follow on this leading to some communication breakdown. Dave Misson has the score on the board in relation to fitness & conditioning, so I would back his judgement on this !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!