OFFICIAL: Brett Peake - Traded for 3rd rounder (Pick 48)

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

Milton66 wrote:Final point: HAs anyone considered that the coach does not think that some of our young guns may be ready for a full season yet?

I know it's abit of a novelty having players properly developed for once, but maybe the inner snactum is yet to be convinced that some of these players are ready to step up to the required level.

And if they do, then we are in a fantastic position. :D
Excellent point Milton. We all comment on Ball and his decline after OP. If he had been allowed time to develop properly instead of being flogged at a young age things *may* different for him and for St Kilda and he may not be seeking a trade.

With the frenetic speed of the game today, most of the young bodies cannot withstand a full season of football. Their bodies are just not strong or developed enough.

The way Ross has been recruiting over the last couple of seasons has been with a view to the here and now and also to the future. As I stated in a previous post somewhere, our premiership window has not just been smashed open, we have taken the wall down as well.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

No complaints here, offers pace, versatility and experience. Seems like a player who has the goods but needs a new challenge to make the most of them. Sound familiar?

If he realises his potential he'll be able to keep some talented kids out of the side and surely it's about getting the best side on the park. I wish him well.

fingers
Saintsational Legend

Milton66 wrote:Final point: HAs anyone considered that the coach does not think that some of our young guns may be ready for a full season yet?

I know it's abit of a novelty having players properly developed for once, but maybe the inner snactum is yet to be convinced that some of these players are ready to step up to the required level.

Stop with the logic.

Milton66
SS Life Member

fingers wrote:

Stop with the logic.
Sorry, wrong forum. :oops:

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
fingers
Saintsational Legend

Milton66 wrote:
fingers wrote:

Stop with the logic.
Sorry, wrong forum. :oops:
Consider yourself warned. ;)

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Milton66 wrote: but maybe the inner snactum :D
is that where the players gorge after a game.

:lol:

The list changes for 2025 have begun, always an interesting time for an avid supporter.
Milton66
SS Life Member

bobmurray wrote:
Milton66 wrote: but maybe the inner snactum :D
is that where the players gorge after a game.

:lol:
:lol: :lol: well spotted.

Gotta love that haircut Noddy had. :roll:

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Milton66 wrote:So why bother with more than 26 players on your list?
Baker - Dawson - R. Clarke
Blake - Fisher - Gilbert
Lovett - Hayes - Gram
Montagna - Riewoldt - Goddard
Schneider - Koschitzke - Milne

Gardiner - Dal Santo - Jones

Dempster - King - McQualter - Ray

That's 22 right there. Then there's Armo, Begley, Xavier Clarke (for now), Eddy, Geary, Gwilt, McEvoy, Maguire and Steven who have played for us and all of whom I'd be happy to have play again. Then there's Heyne, Lynch and Stanley, who aren't that far off and could probably handle playing in a depth role. I've named 34 guys who most of us would be pretty happy to play. We've got depth. We don't need to be trading draft picks for C-graders.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
ace
Saintsational Legend

[quote="SaintWodonga"]http://www.saints.com.au/season2009/new ... fault.aspx

RL: “He is a quick player who loves to run and carry the ball and we think he will be a valued addition to the St Kilda midfield unit.â€

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Let's just say I'm glad that RL already has some runs on the board (Ray and Dawson) or I would not be at all impressed...

However there have been times when I have thought that Peake could be a very damaging player...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
Richter
SS Life Member

evertonfc wrote:Had a look at what's been posted by Fremantle fans about him and they can't believe we've taken him for a 3rd rounder.

:evil:
Irrelevant. We'll only pick up 2 players in this draft. (Maybe not even that if we for example recycle Nathan Brown with a late ND pick - though I doubt we will actually do that).

Saints draft picks = Whatever we get for LB (prob pick 30) + pick 32.

In this draft people are saying to add up to 50% to a draft pick to assess its worth as in other years i.e. pick 48 = up to pick 60-70. By this reckoning anything above 40 is much of a muchness......

Even if we let Luke go for nothing, seriously is there much difference between picks 48, 64 and even 1st and 2nd rookie rounds in a compromised draft?

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Richter wrote:
evertonfc wrote:Had a look at what's been posted by Fremantle fans about him and they can't believe we've taken him for a 3rd rounder.

:evil:
Irrelevant. We'll only pick up 2 players in this draft. (Maybe not even that if we for example recycle Nathan Brown with a late ND pick - though I doubt we will actually do that).

Saints draft picks = Whatever we get for LB (prob pick 30) + pick 32.

In this draft people are saying to add up to 50% to a draft pick to assess its worth as in other years i.e. pick 48 = up to pick 60-70. By this reckoning anything above 40 is much of a muchness......

Even if we let Luke go for nothing, seriously is there much difference between picks 48, 64 and even 1st and 2nd rookie rounds in a compromised draft?
Would Nathan Brown go in the National Draft, I thought he would only be eligible for the PSD... If they were available in the ND, I would rather Tuck myself...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
Richter
SS Life Member

Armoooo wrote: Would Nathan Brown go in the National Draft, I thought he would only be eligible for the PSD... If they were available in the ND, I would rather Tuck myself...
Not sure actually mate. Other option though is that we upgrade Luke Miles as well as Zac leaving us with only the one ND selection.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
CaptainRiewoldt
Club Player

Ok come on people time to put faith in our great leader ross.

He has turned DAWSON into a great full back, RAY who wasnt even making the doggies 22 into a star of AFL. GARDINER he got back to his best. MAcqualter, Jones - both solid AFL players now...

what more does ROSSY have to do???

FFS do ya job and support he knows what he needs. Its clearly PACE which PEAKE has. 2006 PEAKE was a gun. He hasnt been as good since but is FREMANTLE really the place to judge ones performances are you saying ROSSY cant get peake back to elite 2006 form?? Where the dockers MADe the prelim??? Hasnt this year taught us anything????

Put your seat belts on guys we could win back to back in the next 2 years. we have a list very worthy... all it needed was pace and finish which both new players HAVE.

great trading i reckon with ANOTHER good player to come. Maybe even Ball will stop crying and see he can be part of this too.

:wink:

danners
Club Player

SaintWodonga wrote:Peake Goal:

my god if freo played like that all the time i would be worried

21 years old, proud member since 1998!
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:
Milton66 wrote:So why bother with more than 26 players on your list?
Baker - Dawson - R. Clarke
Blake - Fisher - Gilbert
Lovett - Hayes - Gram
Montagna - Riewoldt - Goddard
Schneider - Koschitzke - Milne

Gardiner - Dal Santo - Jones

Dempster - King - McQualter - Ray

That's 22 right there. Then there's Armo, Begley, Xavier Clarke (for now), Eddy, Geary, Gwilt, McEvoy, Maguire and Steven who have played for us and all of whom I'd be happy to have play again. Then there's Heyne, Lynch and Stanley, who aren't that far off and could probably handle playing in a depth role. I've named 34 guys who most of us would be pretty happy to play. We've got depth. We don't need to be trading draft picks for C-graders.
IMO Peake is better than Begley, Eddy, Geary & Gwilt. Armo & Steven will be looked at for different positions as will McEvoy & Goose. Big question marks over X atm. Dempster will need to find some of his 2008 form. Our running players & backs will hopefully have another injury free run, if not Peake can fill a number of roles.

Bottom line Ross knows what he's getting with Peake, knows what Peake needs to work on to get back to his 2006 form and play to our brand. What guarantees are there with Pick 48, can you guarantee a 'B' grader.

I'd be interested to know how all the Pick 48s have gone. Just at a guess I'm thinking the value 48s occurred early in the draft system before clubs knew so much more about the kids. Obviously this year we are thinking the value (risk v reward) is with trading not drafting.

Dal_Santos_Gal
Saintsational Legend

The poor guy has not even pullied on a Red White and Black jumper and there is alot of you ready to put him out to dry.

How about a Cvongratulations, welcome to the club.

People can question Ross Lyon as much as they like but how quickly most of you forget this was the same coach that has brought in players and got us to a GF, while only losing 2 games up to that point for the whole year.

Have a little faith, boy I am sure he knows what he is doing, more than anyone else on this site. Until proven otherwise I will welcome any new player with open arms. Granted the stats don't look great, but since when do stats mean everything. You would think Ross has some type of role for this guy and I am confident enough to trust him on that.

Welcome to the club Brett, I am sure the supporters will get right behind you :roll:
(igorne the ones writting you off or claiming you to be another VFL star before you have seen stepped foot into Moorabbin)

In Ross Get lost!

I am excited to stay at St Kilda and this is a great result for the Club and all our fans. I’m proud to be part of the Saints and am pleased to be playing football with the Clubâ€
saintly
Saintsational Legend

lendog heaven wrote:
Milton66 wrote:So who else could we have got with that pick?? And in this draft?

Don't forget that we've still got the Ball trade to happen, which will get us a higher pick IMO.
Nick Heyne pick 48 2008 draft
everybody said that 2008 draft was supposed to be one of the best. which i suppose is why this year clubs are going for players for picks as it is from what most clubs saying is a weak draft.

markp
Saintsational Legend

Dal_Santos_Gal wrote:The poor guy has not even pullied on a Red White and Black jumper and there is alot of you ready to put him out to dry.

How about a Cvongratulations, welcome to the club.

People can question Ross Lyon as much as they like but how quickly most of you forget this was the same coach that has brought in players and got us to a GF, while only losing 2 games up to that point for the whole year.

Have a little faith, boy I am sure he knows what he is doing, more than anyone else on this site. Until proven otherwise I will welcome any new player with open arms. Granted the stats don't look great, but since when do stats mean everything. You would think Ross has some type of role for this guy and I am confident enough to trust him on that.

Welcome to the club Brett, I am sure the supporters will get right behind you :roll:
(igorne the ones writting you off or claiming you to be another VFL star before you have seen stepped foot into Moorabbin)
Beautifully said.

You'd think the armchair nuffy's would've learnt to hold fire by now... but no such luck.

fingers
Saintsational Legend

I don't know much about Peake - could he be the medium forward we are looking for? Could he be groomed for that role?

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote:No complaints here, offers pace, versatility and experience. Seems like a player who has the goods but needs a new challenge to make the most of them. Sound familiar?

If he realises his potential he'll be able to keep some talented kids out of the side and surely it's about getting the best side on the park. I wish him well.
Too right mate, to me I would think Peake will go well in a far better side and I am looking forward to seeing him play in our side

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Very surprised that Ross would be interested in Peake.
Would typically be a March champion as he has pace and can kick and mark, the query is on his ability to find the ball consistently and to stay involved in the game (seems to be a Freo issue).

There is no doubt he has talent and he was never going to fulfill it at Freo.
For a mid he just doesn't get enough of it and goes missing for long periods of the game.

The Swans had a great track record of getting great service from recycled players and Ross has carried this over to the Saints so welcome Brett Peake and we look forward to you fulfilling your talent.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

[quote="ace"][quote="SaintWodonga"]http://www.saints.com.au/season2009/new ... fault.aspx

RL: “He is a quick player who loves to run and carry the ball and we think he will be a valued addition to the St Kilda midfield unit.â€

I love this club
saint75
SS Hall of Fame

Welcome aboard Peakey! Great pick up by Ross.

Would not judge him too harshly on his performances to date for Freemantle. No one plays well consistently in that team, not even Pavlich! :lol:

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Milton66
SS Life Member

Ghost Like wrote:
IMO Peake is better than Begley, Eddy, Geary & Gwilt. Armo & Steven will be looked at for different positions as will McEvoy & Goose. Big question marks over X atm. Dempster will need to find some of his 2008 form. Our running players & backs will hopefully have another injury free run, if not Peake can fill a number of roles.

Bottom line Ross knows what he's getting with Peake, knows what Peake needs to work on to get back to his 2006 form and play to our brand. What guarantees are there with Pick 48, can you guarantee a 'B' grader.

I'd be interested to know how all the Pick 48s have gone. Just at a guess I'm thinking the value 48s occurred early in the draft system before clubs knew so much more about the kids. Obviously this year we are thinking the value (risk v reward) is with trading not drafting.
Very well said. Agree 100% :D