Depth Chart

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Statsman
Club Player

Depth Chart

I thought I'd take a look at what our depth chart looks like at the halfway point of the trade period. I'm sure everybody would categorise a few players differently, but hopefully this is close enough to the mark.
  • Ruck: Gardiner, King, McEvoy, Stanley
    Inside Midfielder: Hayes, Dal Santo, Ball*, Armitage
    Outside Midfielder: Montagna, Lovett, Gram, Ray, Peake, Geary, X. Clarke, Connors, Smith
    Tagger: Jones
    Key Forward: Riewoldt, Koschitzke, Cahill
    Medium Forward: Dempster, Eddy, Gwilt, Lynch, Heyne
    Small Forward: Milne, Schneider, McQualter, Steven
    Key Defender: Dawson, Blake, Maguire
    Medium Defender: Goddard, S. Fisher, Gilbert, R. Clarke, Begley, Miles
    Small Defender: Baker, L. Fisher
    Rookies: Gaertner, Haretuku, Howard, McGarry, McGrath, Simpkin, Tungatalum
The ruck stocks look great with Gardi and King for the "hear and now" premiership tilt and McEvoy and Stanley the promising up and comers.

We've got two of the best midfielders going around in Hayes and Dal Santo. We won the contested ball well earlier in the season, but tailed off about the same time Ball got dropped to the VFL. Was that just a concidence? The time has come for Armitage to show us what he's made off assuming Ball goes elsewhere.

We've now got some great depth with our outside midfielders including a couple with real jets in Lovett and Peake. You could make the case that Joey is playing more "inside" as well these days. With the depth here we should be able to spread our runners between half back, across the centre line and at half forward.

Jones has elevated himself to become one of the best run-with taggers in the game. However with age catching up to Bakes we don't really have another option. Dempster is a possibilty, but ideally we could do with another lock down tagger as insurance for Jones.

We look overly reliant on Roo and Kosi up forward as we don't have any other geniune key forward options. If one of them was to go down with injury we'd be forced to come up with a makeshift forward with somebody like McEvoy, Goddard or Fisher.

We clearly lack a classy medium forward which was highlighted by the fact that every man and his dog was given a crack at that position this season. On paper this is the biggest hole in our line up.

We're well stocked with small forwards, however as is customary at this position they all tend to drift in and out of the game. Ideally it would be great if one or two of our small forwards were capable of rotating up into midfield (i.e. Chapman, Davis, etc) however Milne, Schneider and McQualter are more your pure crumbing forwards.

Zac and Blakey both had great seasons as our two primary key defenders. While we've only got Goose for depth, and there are question marks over him, we have the flexibility of using Fisher, Gilbo, Raph or BJ is required.

Arguably our deepest position is medium defenders with real quality there in Goddard, Fisher, Gilbert and the much maligned Raph Clarke. There's heaps of flexibility there too as that quartet can all play taller or smaller, forward or back plus BJ as our wildcard in the midfield.

There was talk all season that our backline is too top heavy and with Baker as our only real small defender it's hard to argue. We struggle for matchups against small forward lines like the Doggies, however "team defence" and pressure further up the ground have masked over this potential crack.

Summary: All up, we've got a damn good list that will challenge for the flag for the next 2-3 years. Lovett and Peake have addressed our lack of pace, but there's still a question mark over the structure of our forward line and the ability of our midfielders to win their own ball. That would make our two biggest needs a classy medium forward and a tough in-and-under midfielder. If we don't keep Ball, we need to trade him to fill one of those holes. Armitage is the natural replacement for Ball, so a trade for a medium forward would be the ideal outcome.

"Ask not what your teammates can do for you. Ask what you can do for your teammates." - Earvin 'Magic' Johnson
SaintSimmo
Club Player

Re: Depth Chart

Statsman wrote:I thought I'd take a look at what our depth chart looks like at the halfway point of the trade period. I'm sure everybody would categorise a few players differently, but hopefully this is close enough to the mark.
    Outside Midfielder: Montagna, Lovett, Gram, Ray, Peake, Geary, X. Clarke, Connors, Smith
The ruck stocks look great with Gardi and King for the "hear and now" premiership tilt and McEvoy and Stanley the promising up and comers.

We've got two of the best midfielders going around in Hayes and Dal Santo. We won the contested ball well earlier in the season, but tailed off about the same time Ball got dropped to the VFL. Was that just a concidence? The time has come for Armitage to show us what he's made off assuming Ball goes elsewhere.

We've now got some great depth with our outside midfielders including a couple with real jets in Lovett and Peake. You could make the case that Joey is playing more "inside" as well these days. With the depth here we should be able to spread our runners between half back, across the centre line and at half forward.

Jones has elevated himself to become one of the best run-with taggers in the game. However with age catching up to Bakes we don't really have another option. Dempster is a possibilty, but ideally we could do with another lock down tagger as insurance for Jones.

We look overly reliant on Roo and Kosi up forward as we don't have any other geniune key forward options. If one of them was to go down with injury we'd be forced to come up with a makeshift forward with somebody like McEvoy, Goddard or Fisher.

We clearly lack a classy medium forward which was highlighted by the fact that every man and his dog was given a crack at that position this season. On paper this is the biggest hole in our line up.

We're well stocked with small forwards, however as is customary at this position they all tend to drift in and out of the game. Ideally it would be great if one or two of our small forwards were capable of rotating up into midfield (i.e. Chapman, Davis, etc) however Milne, Schneider and McQualter are more your pure crumbing forwards.

Zac and Blakey both had great seasons as our two primary key defenders. While we've only got Goose for depth, and there are question marks over him, we have the flexibility of using Fisher, Gilbo, Raph or BJ is required.

Arguably our deepest position is medium defenders with real quality there in Goddard, Fisher, Gilbert and the much maligned Raph Clarke. There's heaps of flexibility there too as that quartet can all play taller or smaller, forward or back plus BJ as our wildcard in the midfield.

There was talk all season that our backline is too top heavy and with Baker as our only real small defender it's hard to argue. We struggle for matchups against small forward lines like the Doggies, however "team defence" and pressure further up the ground have masked over this potential crack.

Summary: All up, we've got a damn good list that will challenge for the flag for the next 2-3 years. Lovett and Peake have addressed our lack of pace, but there's still a question mark over the structure of our forward line and the ability of our midfielders to win their own ball. That would make our two biggest needs a classy medium forward and a tough in-and-under midfielder. If we don't keep Ball, we need to trade him to fill one of those holes. Armitage is the natural replacement for Ball, so a trade for a medium forward would be the ideal outcome.
lucky i check this i was just about to post a similar thred. It is very interesting, lots of info to ponder there.

Legendary
Club Player

Steven - inside midfielder (or inside/outside, in a Montagna mould).
Eddy - inside midfielder (#1 for contested ball percentage as a total of his disposals)

Statsman
Club Player

Steven would probably come into the side as a HFF and move more into the midfield as he develops and matures. Eddy gets plenty of contested ball, but I wouldn't call him a midfielder. He played very much as that HFF focusing on making contests and forward pressure.

"Ask not what your teammates can do for you. Ask what you can do for your teammates." - Earvin 'Magic' Johnson
Legendary
Club Player

Statsman wrote:Steven would probably come into the side as a HFF and move more into the midfield as he develops and matures. Eddy gets plenty of contested ball, but I wouldn't call him a midfielder. He played very much as that HFF focusing on making contests and forward pressure.

Steven played on-ball a fair bit against the Hawks in Tassie, I think he is definitely a midfielder, even as he moves into the AFL. Certainly more so than a small forward.

However, Eddy is a HF in Lyon's view, agree with you there.

xander
Club Player

Good list there. Not that easy to do as you could classify players differently quite easily. All up i think it's pretty accurate.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Statsman wrote:Steven would probably come into the side as a HFF and move more into the midfield as he develops and matures. Eddy gets plenty of contested ball, but I wouldn't call him a midfielder. He played very much as that HFF focusing on making contests and forward pressure.
Um...How much contested ball does Eddy get?

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
SaintSimmo
Club Player

this shows that we need a medium forward another reason the davis,ball mckinley trade would work nicely i think as mckinley is still young. We need to get a Key Foward as Riewoldt and Kosi are sadly going on the slope down in a few years as they get older. Will be a sad day when riewoldt is not playing at stkilda so we defs need a superstar to replace him. In the draft we could go after a midfielder and another key backline player and small back line player to play on the champmans and the line when baker goes.

boneless23
Club Player

I think Stevie Baker needs some help in the Small Defender area as was exposed in the GF with Byrnes, Varcoe, Chapman and Johnson being two too many for us to handle.

We know that Raph is not best suited here and Gram was exposed pretty badly in the Prelim. Goddard and Fisher are better when they can run and not have to concentrate too much on a dangerous small forward.

There are not of quality small defenders out there so I think we need to grow Geary or Peake into these roles and get them to make this position their own.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

so we narrow any deficiencies down to:

small defender
med fwd option
in/under mid option.

Id agree.

does an Andre Everitt address any of these?

Hmmm....whats Mark Williams doing?

Hope Armo/Stevens live up to billing in half a game Ball had what 6 clearances and 22 possies?....many probably first hands to it......and hes what 10 in AFLfor tackles..........

“Yeah….nah””
vacuous space
SS Life Member

boneless23 wrote:I think Stevie Baker needs some help in the Small Defender area...
I agree. I think Dempster should be put back in defence where he was at his best in 08 before doing his knee. He basically played Baker's role while baker was out of the team. I think with the way forward lines are structured these days you really need to have two small stoppers (as in stoppers of smalls, not physically small men).

Yeah nah pleasing positive
Royston
Club Player

Agree on the small defender - Harbrow showed this year what a weapon he is with the run and creative attacking football from deep defence...also has the pace to clamp the Stokes', Byrnes and the like.

Another key defender is required in the next year or so - a succession plan for Blake / Maguire.

Reckon there will be a rotation of the 3rd fwd next year, with BJ, The Ranga and possibly Heyne having a crack.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Dempster can tag well..and is more medium defender than forward.

BJ can play virtually anywhere including midfield.

Geary is a mid-in-waiting to my thinking. Just needs his body to mature a bit more.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
bigred
Saintsational Legend

Perhaps.

I would be thinking Steven would be more of an inside mid.
Agree there with Eddy. Does get contested ball, but he really isn't a midfielder. Or at least we have not played him that way as yet.

Tom Lynch, I am hoping will see game time in 2010 as the medium hit up forward. Really keen on this.

L. Fisher will be gone unfortunately imo.

Ray, could be developed into a small back. Showed a decent defensive side this year.

Your list shows a heap of outside mids now. Dal as an inside mid is generous. As you look at that list, we are short of inside mids. Mini puts his head over it, but spent most of his time up forward in a successful season for him. Really, REALLY need Armo to step up. Crucial.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Statsman
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:Dempster can tag well..and is more medium defender than forward.
I agree that Dempster is really a medium defender, but I put him down as a medium forward as that's where Ross has played him most recently. However that's more to do with our lack of medium forwards than the viability of Dempster in that role.

Statsman
Club Player

bigred wrote:Your list shows a heap of outside mids now. Dal as an inside mid is generous. As you look at that list, we are short of inside mids. Mini puts his head over it, but spent most of his time up forward in a successful season for him. Really, REALLY need Armo to step up. Crucial.
I admittedly took a bit each way with Dal and Joey by naming one inside and the other outside. In reality they're both more outside midfielders, however to their credit they're both getting a bit more inside ball these days. The emergence of Armitage is definitely key next year. Worse case, we play Dal and Joey more inside and rely on out new wealth of outside midfielders to provide the run.

Legendary
Club Player

Clinton Jones, when he plays loose, is as much of an inside mid as anyone ... wins a heap of clearances.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

What it really comes down to is that by trading for Lovett and Peake our 2009 list will be kept on its toes - if we brought in a few more 18 year olds that are not ready to play the pressure on the current list to perform is less - having recruited 2 ready made players that could easily slot into the 1st team line up keeps the pressure mounting for those already in to hold their places

Smart move by Lyon and co

Our list has been freshened up with a few new arrivals whilst Geelong's will start to stagnate and fester :twisted:

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Gurgman
Club Player

I think you need a new calculator if you think Eddy gets plenty of contested ball

And i thought this was a forum
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Legendary wrote:Clinton Jones, when he plays loose, is as much of an inside mid as anyone ... wins a heap of clearances.
Yep, there was one week where he won 10...

Great list by the OP by the way :D

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Legendary wrote:Clinton Jones, when he plays loose, is as much of an inside mid as anyone ... wins a heap of clearances.
Yup. He is a gem.

I think you need to really consider him a 100% tagger though. Realistically, he is close to our only one.

Gets his own ball though, and can damage the other way which just makes him so valuable.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Re: Depth Chart

Statsman wrote:I thought I'd take a look at what our depth chart looks like at the halfway point of the trade period. I'm sure everybody would categorise a few players differently, but hopefully this is close enough to the mark.

Good work!

Dal Santo is definitely considered an outside player.... Plays his best football delivering the ball by foot.

And I believe Lenny plays his best football playing half inside and half outside.....

Inside Midfielders has all of a sudden become a bit of a worry.

......Are we turning into a team of front runners????????

danners
Club Player

anyone agree that mcqualter should go back to being a tagger?

played the shut down roll better than most in the league last year before CJ came along this year

i reckon both can be taggers/major pill winners next season

21 years old, proud member since 1998!
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

We've added pace and running players.
Our bottom 4-6 are looking much better.

Let's have the GF replay now !

We still need a medium sized goal kicking half forward... we have too many small forwards (Milne, Schneider, McQualter).

By medium sized I don't mean someone like Goddard who is big bodied (yes he played full forward and did well once - but he wasn't a half forward flanker was he on that one occasion ?, he was a full forward !).

I mean someone who is medium sized with agility - who's 7-10cms taller and stronger than the smalls and who can kick goals.
- most smalls usually go missing in finals as we've seen time and again.

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

I think mini will take over Balls role next year and be our second inside mid. Although he has been sensational this year as a permanent forward I think he can step up and be a Daniel Cross type mid but with much better kicking skills. He is smart, fearless and knows how to use it. I think that Lovett and maybe Peake will be groomed for the half forward roles.