OFFICIAL: Brett Peake - Traded for 3rd rounder (Pick 48)

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

maz1685
Club Player

zebraman wrote:Zac Dawson wouldn't have been highly rated this time last year...Farren Tay also...

Give the kid a chance
Spot on mate, like I said earlier, this kid has the skills, he just needs the right coach and team to show him the way I reckon :wink:

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:Looks like I've jumped the gun. Can't believe the abuse they're dishing out about him.

I thought he looked good but Freo fans, who watch him every week, have a vastly different idea.

:?
Much like the WB fans last year about Farren Ray.
'inconsistant'
'turns the ball over'
'soft'
etc.

I'm seriously having deja-vu with just the names transposed.

Milton66
SS Life Member

evertonfc wrote:Looks like I've jumped the gun. Can't believe the abuse they're dishing out about him.

I thought he looked good but Freo fans, who watch him every week, have a vastly different idea.

Obviously the Freeo fans have as much collective football intelligence as Saints fans. :roll:

Lucky coahes and clubs don't go by what the fans think.

Let's get him and see how he goes.

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:

'inconsistant'
'turns the ball over'
'soft'
etc.

Ray was 22.

Peake is 26.

Big difference, for mine.

Batnoe

Ahh stop your worrying.
a weak draft means it i s a pick in the 60's

Will provide us with an option if we need him which is more than pick 48 would have i n a weak draft

if we can get tuck we woud have done alright. Tuck will get 20 touches and an inside player, which is the same as same as Ball

undecided
Club Player

I like the way Ross does trades. No messing around

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Some differences:

1) Ray and Dawson are younger than Peake.
2) Dawson coast us next to nothing. We got a pick back with Ray.
3) Ray had been dropped by a preliminary finalist; Dawson couldn't get a game with the team that won the flag. Peake couldn't make Freo's best 22.
4) We didn't trade our first round pick last year.
5) We didn't appear to be as awesome at this time last year as we do now.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
Milton66
SS Life Member

bergholt wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:

'inconsistant'
'turns the ball over'
'soft'
etc.

Ray was 22.

Peake is 26.

why?

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:

'inconsistant'
'turns the ball over'
'soft'
etc.

Still feel like the point they were making was that at the point in time, at that age, Ray, hadn't reached his potential.

Look, I'm FOR Peake - I'm just not convinced we should have traded away a third round pick when there's plenty of other, juicier options. Would have held out of for a fourth-or-bust midday-Friday deal.

Still, if he does well for five years, it's a bargain, isn't it?
Last edited by evertonfc on Wed 07 Oct 2009 9:53pm, edited 1 time in total.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:

'inconsistant'
'turns the ball over'
'soft'
etc.

Ray was 22.

Peake is 26.

Have our List managers and football department performed badly in the past 2 years?
I don't think so.
Therefore I'm prepared to go with their choices until they do perform badly.

One question they must decide on is what that pick (46?) would get them in this draft in comparison to Peake?
A draft that has been universally described as being very shallow for genuine star players and compromised by the lack of 17 year olds.

Milton66
SS Life Member

evertonfc wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:

'inconsistant'
'turns the ball over'
'soft'
etc.

Still feel like the point they were making was that at the point in time, at that age, Ray, hadn't reached his potential.

Look, I'm FOR Peake - I'm just not convinced we should have traded away a third round pick when there's plenty of other, juicier options. Would have held out of for a fourth-or-bust midday-Friday deal.

Still, if he does well for five years, it's a bargain, isn't it?
Can you name them?

are they really available?

And can we accomodate them?

Winmarvellous
Club Player

In the same age group as our core. Could be handy with his run and carry. Who thought CJ could turn it around so quick? Ross has seen something. Freo fans still think Des Headland was a good pick up and Jeff Farmer walks on water. their opinion means jack.

Legendary
Club Player

There was one year in their history when Fremantle were a good team - top four, Preliminary Final, well-coached and with good players on every line.

That year was 2006.

When Peake played in that side, much like Shane Woewodin, he was a gun.

In a crap side (Fremantle 2007 - present), he's pretty average.

He's like Tony Brown c. 1997-99 ... makes a good side even better, but struggles when he's surrounded by lousy players.

Good trade Saints ...

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:Some differences:

1) Ray and Dawson are younger than Peake.
2) Dawson coast us next to nothing. We got a pick back with Ray.
3) Ray had been dropped by a preliminary finalist; Dawson couldn't get a game with the team that won the flag. Peake couldn't make Freo's best 22.
4) We didn't trade our first round pick last year.
5) We didn't appear to be as awesome at this time last year as we do now.
All valid points to consider, VS.

Peake did play quite a few games last year, however. We do seem to have gone from the club who could grab a bargain deal (Gardiner + Birss for 43, Schneider + Dempster for 22, King + Gardiner for 90, Ray + 49 for 31) to the club who is willing to pay the odds, even a bit over, to get what we perceive to be a problem - pace.

Put it this way. I think it's probably a bit early in the week to have made both these deals. What if these picks could have been used in some way to net Shaun Burgoyne or Brendan Fevola? Yeesh.

Anyway, when it's said and done, I feel our first 25 is stronger than what it was two weeks ago. That's a good thing.

Milton66
SS Life Member

So who else could we have got with that pick?? And in this draft?

Don't forget that we've still got the Ball trade to happen, which will get us a higher pick IMO.

SaintSimmo
Club Player

Hmmm....Must say i am a bit concerend about this one, but saying that ross is a great coach and he knows what is best for the Stkilda FC remember this time last year we were going on about how bad farren ray was a why we picked him up.

Farren was one of the few to play all 25 games this year and in those 25 games he averaged 22 disposals. We have great staff down at the saints, in 2007 at the doggies farren played 21 games and only averaged 15 disposals a game see in to that what you will.

Now Peake played 18 games this year for freo only averaging 18 disposals (not to bad) good burst player who can give you that spark that we somtimes lack. Now at Stkilda Peake may mature as a player around some superstars who no what they are doing and our coaching staff may find his full potential as we have done with our players we have picked up in other trade periods.

Looking forward to seeing how peake goes next year will be interesting where ross plays him and who he will replace in the team.

This trade could indicate that we may be trade x. clarke as we have picked up two speedsters this week and will be intresting to see what happens with ball, i think we will be pushing hard for top 20 draft picks and possibly a proven quality player.

Hopefully these trades help the saints go the one step futher in 2010 and we are posting threds on how good picking up peake and lovett has been for our team. GO SAINTS IN 2010.

Sainterman
Club Player

Milton66 wrote:So who else could we have got with that pick?? And in this draft?

Don't forget that we've still got the Ball trade to happen, which will get us a higher pick IMO.
My thoughts exactly.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote: Anyway, when it's said and done, I feel our first 25 is stronger than what it was two weeks ago. That's a good thing.
This is the upshot.

In that respect I am with you.

Dont know much about Peake but after the Lovett deal anything is a bonus.

Everybody - enjoy the ride to about 2013 - after that we are rebuilding for about 5 years.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Milton66 wrote:So who else could we have got with that pick?? And in this draft?

The longer these trades get dragged out, the lower the prices end up being.

If we're doing a Ball deal, we don't want it done late on Friday. That's the time to bring players in, not let them out.
joffaboy wrote:
evertonfc wrote: Anyway, when it's said and done, I feel our first 25 is stronger than what it was two weeks ago. That's a good thing.
This is the upshot.

In that respect I am with you.

Dont know much about Peake but after the Lovett deal anything is a bonus.

Everybody - enjoy the ride to about 2013 - after that we are rebuilding for about 5 years.
Could be very true. Either that, or we never skimp on a rookie draft ever again.

Rookie drafts will soon become absolutely huge for this club.
Last edited by evertonfc on Wed 07 Oct 2009 10:04pm, edited 1 time in total.

Snakeman66
Club Player

Legendary wrote:There was one year in their history when Fremantle were a good team - top four, Preliminary Final, well-coached and with good players on every line.

That year was 2006.

He's like Tony Brown c. 1997-99 ... makes a good side even better, but struggles when he's surrounded by lousy players.

Good trade Saints ...
His performance went downhill when that muppet Harvey took over as coach.

Don't dwell on the past.
Look to the future.
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Legendary wrote:There was one year in their history when Fremantle were a good team - top four, Preliminary Final, well-coached and with good players on every line.

That year was 2006.

Good trade Saints ...
Good Point.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:

That year was 2006.

Good trade Saints ...
Good Point.
So, what you're saying is...?

Last edited by evertonfc on Wed 07 Oct 2009 10:07pm, edited 1 time in total.

milney044
Club Player

The way i see it, most fans are going to act bitter towards players that are no longer with them - look at what some of us have said about Ball. And who really cares what Freo fans think anyway..lastly lets be honest.. who actually looks good in a purple guernsey? :wink:

Seriously the coaching staff have seen something in this guy, just like they did Zac and Farren. They feel he can add something to our side, and going by previous trades they seem to know what they're looking for.
As the 2010 season is months away and i cannot judge for myself, the St.Kilda coaching staff's opinion is good enough for me at this stage.

Good luck to both Andrew and Brett, I hope they are ready to fully embrace the red, white and black.

Destiny. It's in our hands.

Harder. Better. Faster. Stronger.
SuperSaint
Club Player

That year was 2006.

Good trade Saints ...
Good post and I believe he finished 3rd in their best & fairest in that very good 2006 year Freo had.
Last edited by SuperSaint on Wed 07 Oct 2009 10:12pm, edited 1 time in total.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:Everybody - enjoy the ride to about 2013 - after that we are rebuilding for about 5 years.
Yeah, I think that's what I'm saying. Let's hope some kids come up and keep us from getting buried at the bottom of the ladder for ever.