OFFICIAL: Brett Peake - Traded for 3rd rounder (Pick 48)

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:
Statsman wrote:Okay, so let's call is Armitage in for Ball and Lovett in for Dempster. Either way, Peake is still buried about 4 deep in the running.
In: Lovett, Peake, Armitage

Out: Dempster, Clarke, Ball

A big upgrade, 1/2 a win, and a big loss.

Still agree you guys that we can't sacrifice hard-nuts for running, however.

Balance is crucial. So much is staked on Armitage coming good and the improvement of McQualter.
Think you will find that Steven[like Armo] will win his own Ball as well...another year in the gym even more so :twisted:

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Sainterman wrote:
Teflon wrote:
Statsman wrote:Would Peake be in our best 22? I wouldn't think so. Lovett comes straight in for Ball while Peake is going to be challenging the likes of Armitage, Geary, Eddy, Steven and X Clarke (if retained) for a spot in the side. Not sure what this trade does other than give us depth in a position we already have covered.
I agree and given we added Lovett and had X on the list and lost a grunt in and under in Ball (with only "hope" that Armo can do something for a number of games next year)....I dont understand why we didnt draft to help out Hayes under packs when he is hard tagged weekly next year (all saw the job Bartel did GF day....we lost a ton of drive.....)

The thing with Peake's/Lovetts is certainly they address a leg speed need but IMO its about balance and these guys CAN and DO go missing for huge chunks of games when the clearance work isnt shovelling it out to them.....Balls ability to get first hands on the pill is very very good....
But who is to say we would have got this type of inside player with pick 48 and have them ready to go next year. What did we lose by trading this pick. The time is now, not in 4 years time when a draftee might be ready to go.

Yes, we have lost Ball, but it is not something that is that easy to replace. Any ideas on who we should have traded for that would address this issue, who is ready now, when we have what I think is 2-3 years left with this group to have a real crack at a flag.
Theres been rumbling about Jess Smith from Nth?.......I reckon hes hard at it.......I agree weve not lost much but I feel we are putting a lot of in and under eggs in the Armo basket.........

“Yeah….nah””
Saint Bev
SS Life Member

Is something going on with X I don't know about? I thought he had signed a 1 year contract?

Qld Saints Supporter Group
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

welcome to the saints BRETT !!! anothe WA boy to the Saints !!!!

and to all those knockers out there how many though Zac dawson would be in the best 22

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
S.A Saint
Club Player

Saint Bev wrote:Is something going on with X I don't know about? I thought he had signed a 1 year contract?
yes im pretty sure he did a couple months ago......

Sainterman
Club Player

Teflon wrote:
Sainterman wrote:
Teflon wrote:
Statsman wrote:Would Peake be in our best 22? I wouldn't think so. Lovett comes straight in for Ball while Peake is going to be challenging the likes of Armitage, Geary, Eddy, Steven and X Clarke (if retained) for a spot in the side. Not sure what this trade does other than give us depth in a position we already have covered.
I agree and given we added Lovett and had X on the list and lost a grunt in and under in Ball (with only "hope" that Armo can do something for a number of games next year)....I dont understand why we didnt draft to help out Hayes under packs when he is hard tagged weekly next year (all saw the job Bartel did GF day....we lost a ton of drive.....)

The thing with Peake's/Lovetts is certainly they address a leg speed need but IMO its about balance and these guys CAN and DO go missing for huge chunks of games when the clearance work isnt shovelling it out to them.....Balls ability to get first hands on the pill is very very good....
But who is to say we would have got this type of inside player with pick 48 and have them ready to go next year. What did we lose by trading this pick. The time is now, not in 4 years time when a draftee might be ready to go.

Yes, we have lost Ball, but it is not something that is that easy to replace. Any ideas on who we should have traded for that would address this issue, who is ready now, when we have what I think is 2-3 years left with this group to have a real crack at a flag.
Theres been rumbling about Jess Smith from Nth?.......I reckon hes hard at it.......I agree weve not lost much but I feel we are putting a lot of in and under eggs in the Armo basket.........
I think Jess Smith is going to be rated higher than a pick 48 swap though, Nth won't let him go for that.

Still, we have the Ball swap to come, and this may address his loss...or you never know, they might still think they can hold on to him and patch things up (and yes, this would be very unlikely!).

Reckon we assess it all at the end of the week, when all is said and done.

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

evertonfc wrote:Really happy but would have rather seen us go for a 4th round pick on him.

And I'd have bargained hard for a 2nd round deal with Lovett.

Still, Peake and Lovett will give us immense dash off the backline next year.........

Pace to burn :)
This. Yes I was hoping they would get Lovett for 2nd round pick, and maybe Peake for 4th round

Still very pleased with Peake - every time I've seen him he's played ok, run and carry and long kick :shock:

Now they just need another in and under type to get it out to these guys
Last edited by MCG-Unit on Wed 07 Oct 2009 9:32pm, edited 1 time in total.

No Contract, No contact :shock:
3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

More depth, more depth is good.
Bet he's glad he doesn't have to sing that Freo song again!

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Sainterman wrote:
Teflon wrote:
Sainterman wrote:
Teflon wrote:

I think Jess Smith is going to be rated higher than a pick 48 swap though, Nth won't let him go for that.

Still, we have the Ball swap to come, and this may address his loss...or you never know, they might still think they can hold on to him and patch things up (and yes, this would be very unlikely!).

Reckon we assess it all at the end of the week, when all is said and done.
yeah maybe right.

Apparently Cats into Smith but also "apparently" ankle is stuffed.....if Cats get him lets hopeso.

If we get him......he's all healed..... :wink:

“Yeah….nah””
cowboy18
Saintsational Legend

3rd generation saint wrote:More depth, more depth is good.
Bet he's glad he doesn't have to sing that Freo song again!
He didn't really have to sing it that much this year :D

Statsman
Club Player

I reckon that's why Freo never win, they're players are too embarrassed to sing that horrible song. :wink:

"Ask not what your teammates can do for you. Ask what you can do for your teammates." - Earvin 'Magic' Johnson
Beej
Saintsational Legend

Just reading some comments from Freo supporters on bigfooty.

It appears they have some sort of "slip counter" for Brett Peake due to the amount of times he loses his footing.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Sainterman wrote:Yes, we have lost Ball, but it is not something that is that easy to replace. Any ideas on who we should have traded for that would address this issue, who is ready now, when we have what I think is 2-3 years left with this group to have a real crack at a flag.
I'm not too worried about this deficit - there's plenty of hardness in places you don't expect, like Dal or Joey - but if you want that sort of player it has to be Shane Tuck.

Statsman
Club Player

OLB wrote:It appears they have some sort of "slip counter" for Brett Peake due to the amount of times he loses his footing.
Fantastic! He'll fit right in on the Telstra Dome turf with Milne, Schneider, Clarke who all player like they're running around on an ice rink.

"Ask not what your teammates can do for you. Ask what you can do for your teammates." - Earvin 'Magic' Johnson
maz1685
Club Player

Peake was very good in his first year, showed some really good signs. Has not been as well performed in recent times but I think it's more to do with playing for Fremantle, I'm excited about this one cos he has the skill just don't think Harvey is a good enough coach to recognise and utilise this guys strengths, but we've all seen what Ross Lyon and the coaching staff can do.
I believe he will be a good pick up for us.
Last edited by maz1685 on Wed 07 Oct 2009 9:42pm, edited 1 time in total.

Statsman
Club Player

bergholt wrote:I'm not too worried about this deficit - there's plenty of hardness in places you don't expect, like Dal or Joey - but if you want that sort of player it has to be Shane Tuck.
I would agree with that. Dal and Joey are being more "inside" and less "outside" these days.

Statsman
Club Player

bergholt wrote:I'm not too worried about this deficit - there's plenty of hardness in places you don't expect, like Dal or Joey - but if you want that sort of player it has to be Shane Tuck.
I would agree with that. Dal and Joey are being more "inside" and less "outside" these days.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

You never know what you're going to get with Freo. They are a spastic club that play a spastic style,ever since there inception,nothing has changed. They've always played a loose checking error riddled brand of football since 1995. There players get caught up in this,so it's hard to judge them.

Jimmy Clement was considered a nuffie until he left Freo..

Bring back the Lockett era
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Had a look at what's been posted by Fremantle fans about him and they can't believe we've taken him for a 3rd rounder.

I was happy to go for Lovett and Peake, but I think it's fair to say we've paid over the odds for both, especially Peake.

:evil:

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:Had a look at what's been posted by Fremantle fans about him and they can't believe we've taken him for a 3rd rounder.

I was happy to go for Lovett and Peake, but I think it's fair to say we've paid over the odds for both, especially Peake.

:evil:
some were saying they didnt think theyd get anything for him so we'll see.....reckon hes soft anf falls over way tooften...

were we the only club interested?

“Yeah….nah””
Elvis
Club Player

OLB wrote: It appears they have some sort of "slip counter" for Brett Peake due to the amount of times he loses his footing.
He should focus on this deficiency over summer then, hooking up with Roller Skates Raph as his training partner. I think Peake will go well but am worried about him falling about all over the place on one flank, mirroring Raph on the other.

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

If we are trading for players like this, there must be a feeling that there isn't much in the draft for us even at pick 16.
Also note that both Peake and Lovett can play at either half back, midfield or half forward and can both kick goals.
Isn't that where we all think our defeciencies are.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
Bardon Saint
Club Player

Saint Bev wrote:Is something going on with X I don't know about? I thought he had signed a 1 year contract?
Hi Bev, there is a thread on this. Apparently? he went up to brisbane for a medical with the lions??

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Looks like I've jumped the gun. Can't believe the abuse they're dishing out about him.

I thought he looked good but Freo fans, who watch him every week, have a vastly different idea.

:?

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

zebraman
Club Player

Zac Dawson wouldn't have been highly rated this time last year...Farren Tay also...

Give the kid a chance