OFFICIAL: Brett Peake - Traded for 3rd rounder (Pick 48)

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Spinner wrote:There is a rule that we need to draft 3 players in the National isnt there???
They changed it. We can now count a rookie elevation as one of our 3 list changes. I'm not sure if we could elevate three and skip the draft altogether. We certainly don't have to use pick 80.

I'm not sure I get the Peake move - even if X does leave. Like I've said in other threads, we basically have more than 5 guys competing for one spot in the side. Peake is just going to add to that.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
S.A Saint
Club Player

the half back flanks and midfield spots are going to be hard to break into....players will need to pull their fingers out big time and perform EVERY game as there will be immense pressure for spots...which can only be a good thing i guess....

Milton66
SS Life Member

saint patrick wrote:Don't know why everyone has written him off ..I have seen him play some good games at Freo ...inconsistant but may have had issues with Harvey..certainly has pace and knows where the goals are ..lets welcome him and give him a go.

Why? Because that's what we do on here StPat.

Bag players before they put on the jumper. Same story last year when we recruited Ray.

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
saint64
Club Player

I am really excited about this one. I have seen a bit of him over here in the West and he is a talented player who could be anything. If it doesn't work out we haven't lost much, but potentially he could be great for us.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:
evertonfc wrote:Really happy but would have rather seen us go for a 4th round pick on him.

And I'd have bargained hard for a 2nd round deal with Lovett.

Still, Peake and Lovett will give us immense dash off the backline next year.

Frees up Goddard to go forward.

Pace to burn Smile
Re Peake: We could draft Usain Bolt and it'd have the same impact - really fast bloke who can't play.

I'm an 'In Ross we Truster', but he's pushing me to the brink with this one.
I'm less of a 'IRWT' but Lyon goes hard at trade week and I love it.

Without King, Gardiner, Schneider, Dempster and Ray, we wouldn't have finished top four this year.

Trade week is a great chance for teams to upgrade their lists when drafting has failed them.

Given we haven't drafted kids well since 2001 (with the exception of Goddard @ 1 in 2002 and a mature Sam Fisher @ 55 in 2003), we've had to track this path.

And we got within a kick of a flag, so it's not so bad. Rarely are we taking player over the age of 28, so we're getting genuine service from all of them.

Make no mistake, we're trying to beef up our depth to go for a premiership.
saint64 wrote:I am really excited about this one. I have seen a bit of him over here in the West and he is a talented player who could be anything. If it doesn't work out we haven't lost much, but potentially he could be great for us.
I think you could be right.

I won't say he's a walk up starter, but he's in our first 22 for mine (22nd spot), as is Andrew Lovett.

That rotation we saw at various stages this year between Geary, Eddy, Armitage, Dempster, Clarke, etc will become much slower if these blokes find form.
Last edited by evertonfc on Wed 07 Oct 2009 9:03pm, edited 2 times in total.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

SaintWodonga
Club Player

http://www.saints.com.au/season2009/new ... fault.aspx

RL: “He is a quick player who loves to run and carry the ball and we think he will be a valued addition to the St Kilda midfield unit.â€
Last edited by SaintWodonga on Wed 07 Oct 2009 9:03pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
Milton66
SS Life Member

One word: Depth.

In the event that Geary, Stevens or Armo are not ready.. we have depth.

Nice... very nice.

xander
Club Player

don't really see the point of getting him. Imo he won't be able to get into the side especially since Lovett arrived.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:
Trade week is a great chance for teams to upgrade their lists when drafting has failed them.

Given we haven't drafted kids well since 2001 (with the exception of Goddard @ 1 in 2002 and a mature Sam Fisher @ 55 in 2003), we've had to track this path.

interesting comparison in years given who may go :( :(

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Statsman
Club Player

Would Peake be in our best 22? I wouldn't think so. Lovett comes straight in for Ball while Peake is going to be challenging the likes of Armitage, Geary, Eddy, Steven and X Clarke (if retained) for a spot in the side. Not sure what this trade does other than give us depth in a position we already have covered.

"Ask not what your teammates can do for you. Ask what you can do for your teammates." - Earvin 'Magic' Johnson
S.A Saint
Club Player

Statsman wrote:Would Peake be in our best 22? I wouldn't think so. Lovett comes straight in for Ball while Peake is going to be challenging the likes of Armitage, Geary, Eddy, Steven and X Clarke (if retained) for a spot in the side. Not sure what this trade does other than give us depth in a position we already have covered.
i dont think lovett comes in for ball....armo would be in for ball i reckon...

there are going to be 2 spots up for grabs i believe and they are dempster and raphs positions with the following players vying for it (lovett, geary, eddy,peake, steven, x)

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Statsman wrote:Would Peake be in our best 22? I wouldn't think so. Lovett comes straight in for Ball while Peake is going to be challenging the likes of Armitage, Geary, Eddy, Steven and X Clarke (if retained) for a spot in the side. Not sure what this trade does other than give us depth in a position we already have covered.
I'd rate him above all those for now.

Armitage may get past him in the next 12 months; Clarke is better than him but who knows what he'll be like post-knee.

We're beefing up on depth with one focus: as winning as many premierships as possible in the next three years.

I'm starting to come around to why Lyon is doing this. Time to stop having question marks. We need to improve our bottom six - now. We're doing that.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

WTF is going on?

Regardless of the bona fides of the individual players involved, we're on the verge of losing a 25 year old and replacing him with a 26 and 27 year old?

Our list was already aging a bit, now we're adding two players who slot in as tenth and eleventh oldest?

This feels a lot like banking everything we've got on next year and hoping like hell that it works. Because in three or four years we'll be in trouble.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Maybe a strange move after the Lovett signing but our depth is pretty impressive in the midfield now. All bases are pretty much covered, with the breakneck speed of Peake & Lovett filling a significant need.

It's pretty exciting with the Ball trade still to come... if they can land Nathan Brown I'll be over the moon (I wanted the Saints to draft him when we took Armo).

Statsman
Club Player

Okay, so let's call is Armitage in for Ball and Lovett in for Dempster. Either way, Peake is still buried about 4 deep in the running.

"Ask not what your teammates can do for you. Ask what you can do for your teammates." - Earvin 'Magic' Johnson
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

I agree and given we added Lovett and had X on the list and lost a grunt in and under in Ball (with only "hope" that Armo can do something for a number of games next year)....I dont understand why we didnt draft to help out Hayes under packs when he is hard tagged weekly next year (all saw the job Bartel did GF day....we lost a ton of drive.....)

The thing with Peake's/Lovetts is certainly they address a leg speed need but IMO its about balance and these guys CAN and DO go missing for huge chunks of games when the clearance work isnt shovelling it out to them.....Balls ability to get first hands on the pill is very very good....
Last edited by Teflon on Wed 07 Oct 2009 9:13pm, edited 1 time in total.

“Yeah….nah””
Milton66
SS Life Member

why does everyone traded have to be a starting 22?

that's why you have depth. If not, why keep a full list?

I'd assume it's instead of drafting, you are getting a known quantity.

If anything, the extra competition will squeeze out players like Eddy and Raph.

So I don't why people are upset. :lol:

S.A Saint
Club Player

Statsman wrote:Okay, so let's call is Armitage in for Ball and Lovett in for Dempster. Either way, Peake is still buried about 4 deep in the running.
yes i agree...would rather we give players like geary, steven, a go before we select peake to see whether they can improve....it if doesnt work out then throw peake in...its about depth....i just hope we give our younger players a chance who look to be showing promise....

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

SaintWodonga wrote:Anyone rate him? Got stats? Player profile..

Wonder why RL chased him so heavily...
Top pick up IMHO. Can kick a goal. Mid size forward or halfback. Similar to Heath Black.

Happy :lol: :lol:

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Statsman wrote:Okay, so let's call is Armitage in for Ball and Lovett in for Dempster. Either way, Peake is still buried about 4 deep in the running.
In: Lovett, Peake, Armitage

Out: Dempster, Clarke, Ball

A big upgrade, 1/2 a win, and a big loss.

Still agree you guys that we can't sacrifice hard-nuts for running, however.

Balance is crucial. So much is staked on Armitage coming good and the improvement of McQualter.
Last edited by evertonfc on Wed 07 Oct 2009 9:17pm, edited 1 time in total.

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

saint64 wrote:I am really excited about this one. I have seen a bit of him over here in the West and he is a talented player who could be anything. If it doesn't work out we haven't lost much, but potentially he could be great for us.
I agree and you have seen him over there. Farren Ray but quicker.

If Peake was Victorian, I think there would be more enthusiasm.
Last edited by Milan Faletic on Wed 07 Oct 2009 9:17pm, edited 1 time in total.

Beej
Saintsational Legend

Strange one. It's a gamble.

Lyon and co have obviously seen something in him that they believe they can work with.

Fremantle fans will be loving this news though.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

interesting trade, we have gone from a very slow midfield to perhaps a quick slick midfield.... gram, lovett, peake

I like the idea of moving BJ to half forward.

Still think this is depth selection just in case the kids don't step up

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

3rd in the BnF in 06 when they made the Prelim. At his best he is certainly a good player. Hopefully Ross can get the best out of him like he has with Ray/ Gardi/ Dawson.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
Sainterman
Club Player

Teflon wrote:
I agree and given we added Lovett and had X on the list and lost a grunt in and under in Ball (with only "hope" that Armo can do something for a number of games next year)....I dont understand why we didnt draft to help out Hayes under packs when he is hard tagged weekly next year (all saw the job Bartel did GF day....we lost a ton of drive.....)

The thing with Peake's/Lovetts is certainly they address a leg speed need but IMO its about balance and these guys CAN and DO go missing for huge chunks of games when the clearance work isnt shovelling it out to them.....Balls ability to get first hands on the pill is very very good....
But who is to say we would have got this type of inside player with pick 48 and have them ready to go next year. What did we lose by trading this pick. The time is now, not in 4 years time when a draftee might be ready to go.

Yes, we have lost Ball, but it is not something that is that easy to replace. Any ideas on who we should have traded for that would address this issue, who is ready now, when we have what I think is 2-3 years left with this group to have a real crack at a flag.