I knew I Hated Trade week ........What I'm feeling now..

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Lennon
Club Player

Sainternist wrote:I'm confused as to why he wishes to be traded. Apart from injury, what is making him unhappy at St.Kilda?
We won't ever know.

But probably something to do with not knowing if he would even be played in the GF, and then getting FA game time, and here's the rub, despite playing well.

Put yourself in his shoes, how frustrated would you feel? Remember his comments when Ross said he would play him the GF? "We'll see."

Don't think he has much faith in Ross, as an individual player, to do the right thing by him.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Lennon wrote:
Sainternist wrote:I'm confused as to why he wishes to be traded. Apart from injury, what is making him unhappy at St.Kilda?
We won't ever know.

But probably something to do with not knowing if he would even be played in the GF, and then getting FA game time, and here's the rub, despite playing well.

Put yourself in his shoes, how frustrated would you feel? Remember his comments when Ross said he would play him the GF? "We'll see."

Don't think he has much faith in Ross, as an individual player, to do the right thing by him.
So you think he feels he was 'hardly done by' the match committee and coach?

I'd like to play devil's advocate on this.

In what way was he hard done by?
Why would they deliberately not play him?
Why would they drop him to Sandringham for no reason?
If they had a reason(s), why would they not be legitimate?
If it was good enough for Milne and Montagna, why not Ball?
What is the 'right thing by him' that he has no faith that Ross would do?
Should he expect to play whenever, wherever he feels he should?
What proof do we have that RL or anybody else, deliberately limited his opportunities for no valid reason(s)?
It can't be that they have reduced his pay too much - apparently Collingwood have offered him less money. How does that reconcile with him not really being wanted/appreciated by teh Club?

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Much as its Im sure very easy to get an emotional attachment to individual players, its a prescient time to remember that we follow the StKilda Football CLUB

Of course it would be lovely for every player who joins us to play all their footy with the Saints and retire to a nice assistant coaching gig with us too..but..its never going to happen.

Please. lets not stoop to the "No Fev, no membership" tosh on placards being waved around Visy park yesterday eh?

Luke Ball was a terrific servant for us but he has made his decision and the Club needs to leave no stone unturned to see that we are properly compensated for his loss.

Having said that, anyone who boos him next year no matter what colours he wears better not do it within earshot of me :twisted:

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Lennon
Club Player

Mr Magic wrote:
Lennon wrote:
We won't ever know.

What proof do we have that RL or anybody else, deliberately limited his opportunities for no valid reason(s)?
It can't be that they have reduced his pay too much - apparently Collingwood have offered him less money. How does that reconcile with him not really being wanted/appreciated by teh Club?
I don't know about hard done by. Some of their decisions may have seemed strange.

As for limiting his opportunities for no valid reason, he was one of our best in the GF, and yet he wasn't given enough game time. Lyon has since admitted that was a mistake - how do you make a mistake like that? Someone's playing well, you take them off and leave them on the bench?

I wouldn't have much faith in my employer if they did something equivalent to me. I might assess my options - particularly when it came on the back of him being dropped to the 2s for reasons Luke himself might not have agreed with.

This is mainly just guessing. But I dare say you'd have to have a pretty good reason to move to another club for less money when your first club wants you to stay.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:Much as its Im sure very easy to get an emotional attachment to individual players, its a prescient time to remember that we follow the StKilda Football CLUB

Of course it would be lovely for every player who joins us to play all their footy with the Saints and retire to a nice assistant coaching gig with us too..but..its never going to happen.

Please. lets not stoop to the "No Fev, no membership" tosh on placards being waved around Visy park yesterday eh?

Luke Ball was a terrific servant for us but he has made his decision and the Club needs to leave no stone unturned to see that we are properly compensated for his loss.

Having said that, anyone who boos him next year no matter what colours he wears better not do it within earshot of me :twisted:
I agree with everything you wrote except the last part.

Ball has essentially walked out on the club and his mates. Yes it was a business decision, and I'm sure most at the club aren't taking it personally. I generally laugh at ppl who boo opposition players when those players have been delisted or discarded by their former club. Ball doesn't fall into either of those categories. He will get booed for sure. He better get used to the idea, and I suggest you should as well. I don't care how good a bloke he is/was, or how hard he tried for the saints. He gave us 7 years of footy, 2 of which were top shelf and the rest were average. If he returns to top shelf form supporters have every right to feel short changed after the very early draft pick wasted on him, massive money paid to him, and support given to him.

Supporters getting over emotional about his departure need to get over it, that's footy. But players getting booed who walk out on their club is footy as well. I reckon Luke himself would fully understand this. I probably won't boo him, but won't feel let down by supporters that do though.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Lennon wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
Lennon wrote:
We won't ever know.

I don't know about hard done by. Some of their decisions may have seemed strange.

As for limiting his opportunities for no valid reason, he was one of our best in the GF, and yet he wasn't given enough game time. Lyon has since admitted that was a mistake - how do you make a mistake like that? Someone's playing well, you take them off and leave them on the bench?

I wouldn't have much faith in my employer if they did something equivalent to me. I might assess my options - particularly when it came on the back of him being dropped to the 2s for reasons Luke himself might not have agreed with.

This is mainly just guessing. But I dare say you'd have to have a pretty good reason to move to another club for less money when your first club wants you to stay.
How do we know the "reasons" didn't also include falling short of the trademark, which is a player driven set of principles? You are happy to pin this on Ross, but we don't know all the circumstances....

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Lennon wrote:
We won't ever know.

Ray Ball had an interesting insight into a pre-GF selection meeting between RL & Luke.

I reckon, if true, then this has been a long time brewing.

But I only know via hearsay.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
aussiejones
Club Player

Well its been clear for a while there are differences between Ball and the Coaches.

Lets remember his good years and realize they are probably past ...be pleased with what he gave us and now let him go with our best wishes.

No good keeping him if he takes the spot of an up and commer. Hopefully we get a reasonable deal and Ball get more game time.

Re the GF I cannot understand why he did not get more game time as clearly he was one of our best .....but thats history.

Thanks Bally