Saints officially in the hunt for Lovett, offer 3 yr deal!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

OLB wrote:
His work-rate is the only question mark.
It's a massive, massive question mark though.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
OLB wrote:
Another bloke to handcuff to Lenny during the off-season then.

The postives far outweight the negatives with this bloke I reckon. If any group can instill a better work rate into him, its ours. Just need the steely stare and ultimatum from BJ ("You come to us with a reputation for being a soft****..its up to you to prove it wrong") that Farren Ray copped at his first training session

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

SaintDebi wrote:
Saint Bev wrote:Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, not Goose as well. I hate trade week :evil:
Me too. Its like shopping around your children. :evil:
We are moving to Frankston, maybe we're aclimatising.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
OLB wrote:

The postives far outweight the negatives with this bloke I reckon. If any group can instill a better work rate into him, its ours. Just need the steely stare and ultimatum from BJ ("You come to us with a reputation for being a soft****..its up to you to prove it wrong") that Farren Ray copped at his first training session
Someone with his dash and line breaking running would be great - but under Lyon he'll no doubt spend 18 weeks in the 2s until he learns to play football like a potato and reduce his impact to less than 10 posessions each week.

Comedy and sarcasm aside, why would Lyon be interested in a guy as piiss weak as Lovett? He displays every single characteristic that Lyon tries to coach out of everyone.

PJ
SS Life Member

why would Lyon be interested in a guy as piiss weak as Lovett? He displays every single characteristic that Lyon tries to coach out of everyone.
You mean lack of discipline, individualistic approach to footy and an orientation to old fashioned, unstructured play. He'll learn as others before him - it's not about individuals but what they contribute to the team. Lovett = speed

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
milney044
Club Player

Well i'm impressed. It appears my source was correct on both the Lovett and Ball counts. And before any media was released.
I would be happy to chase Lovett, he has that amazing evasive and lightning quick speed we could really do with.

Destiny. It's in our hands.

Harder. Better. Faster. Stronger.
Captain Impossible
Club Player

Finally, a FAST midfielder. Make it happen Saints.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Remember the cats were after him last season,and most experts were saying at the start of the year "if they had of landed Lovett in the pre season they'd be unbeatable".

He blew sides apart in the first half of the year,but seemed to drop away late.
He would be a GREAT addition to the list

Bring back the Lockett era
xander
Club Player

Make it happen saints!!!
Lovett is just what we need.

Gurgman
Club Player

battye wrote:Not so keen on Maguire leaving. With Hudghton retiring I would have thought Maguire had become a required player. We don't have any matured big bodied backmen in reserve.

Yes i see your concerns but like Luke , Goose is going to struggle to get a game next year and we would be better putting games into a kid like Tom Simpkin if we needed a backman , i really like the look of this kid , needs a bit more meat on him but i think he will be good

And i thought this was a forum
lefty
Club Player

Lovett?
I dont think I want him, I wouldnt give up Goose and pick 16 for him.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
saint66au wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
OLB wrote:

Someone with his dash and line breaking running would be great - but under Lyon he'll no doubt spend 18 weeks in the 2s until he learns to play football like a potato and reduce his impact to less than 10 posessions each week.

Comedy and sarcasm aside, why would Lyon be interested in a guy as piiss weak as Lovett? He displays every single characteristic that Lyon tries to coach out of everyone.
Agree completely RF. Agree completely.

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

The same was thought of Farren Ray

Another opportunity awaits!
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Moccha wrote:The same was thought of Farren Ray
Fair point, but Lovett has been given ample opportunity to shine. Ray wasn't given much chance until he came to us.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Moods
Saintsational Legend

Farren Ray was never an egotisical knob though.

St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

The bloke can play. He has skill and speed, exactly what we need in our modfield. Whether he has heart enough is the question, and I reckon our leadership group can get him on the same page as everyone else with that.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

All stupid comments from RF aside lets look at some facts here.

We were troubled twice by Bummer this year - why? IMHO run/carry/pace.

Our midfield:

a - is 1 paced
b - doesnt kick goals

Lovett has the capacity to greatly add some much needed leg speed to a side and midfield that is more workmanlike than dashing. Unfortunately a player like Judd has both..........what a superstar and just imagine him in this line (yer Im dreaming....)

Lovett's issue is consistency for mine - hes hot/cold but as others pointed out he will walk into an A grade midfield that feeding him.....could really free him up.

“Yeah….nah””
lefty
Club Player

I dont think we need lovett, we got Ray, and X will be back from a reco, then you'd have those three fighting for the one spot, and Ray has been doing a fine job.

Imo, we need another fast/tallish forward, not another thin speedster.

I mean, even Geary can play on the wing, we do not need thin lovett with attitude problems imo.

I'd use pick 16 on a young kid. We're going to be in trouble once the 'core' group comes to their end (years away but yea)

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

rodgerfox wrote:
saint66au wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
OLB wrote:

You are a fair dinkum know RF, we just had the best season in living memory and went within 4 minutes of a premiership but you still can't help bagging Lyon, you must have secretly smiled when we lost, it just gave you more opportunity to keep up the agenda.

For what its worth, Lyon hasn't coached out the flair from the group, he has just added something that GT forgot, structure, discipline and a game plan that can and will bring us sustained success.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:All stupid comments from RF aside lets look at some facts here.

Our midfield:

a - is 1 paced
b - doesnt kick goals

Lovett has the capacity to greatly add some much needed leg speed to a side and midfield that is more workmanlike than dashing. Unfortunately a player like Judd has both..........what a superstar and just imagine him in this line (yer Im dreaming....)

Lovett's issue is consistency for mine - hes hot/cold but as others pointed out he will walk into an A grade midfield that feeding him.....could really free him up.
Very narrow minded in my view teflon. Great to have pace, but he needs to use it to chaase blokes down like Davey and his cousin do as well break the lines. He's about 70kg dripping wet, so can be knocked around by the harder bodied teams like the cats and crows. These are the teams we are competing for a flag with. I couldn't care less if Lovett gets 25 possessions and kicks 4 goals against the tiges or the dees - it's the big games we need his class. He has shown NOTHING in big games that he can can cope with this pressure in my opinion.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:

Our midfield:

a - is 1 paced
b - doesnt kick goals

Very narrow minded in my view teflon. Great to have pace, but he needs to use it to chaase blokes down like Davey and his cousin do as well break the lines. He's about 70kg dripping wet, so can be knocked around by the harder bodied teams like the cats and crows. These are the teams we are competing for a flag with. I couldn't care less if Lovett gets 25 possessions and kicks 4 goals against the tiges or the dees - it's the big games we need his class. He has shown NOTHING in big games that he can can cope with this pressure in my opinion.
You're off with the fairies mate.

Check his stats this year and his record in BIG Games such as ANZAC day against mature Pies side where HE got Bombers going.

He also can kick a goal.

You need to understand that we cant have a side full of bullocking "Luke Balls" we need to inject some run/carry and thats where we have been hurt this year.

As for him "being bashed round by Cats"........tell me which AFL side made a huge play for this guy last year??????....and had they got him with Bartell Sellwood and co in the guts.....we ALL wouldve paid dearly...

Think broader about WHOLE team needs.

“Yeah….nah””
Milton66
SS Life Member

Teflon wrote:
Moods wrote:

Our midfield:

a - is 1 paced
b - doesnt kick goals

Check his stats this year and his record in BIG Games such as ANZAC day against mature Pies side where HE got Bombers going.

He also can kick a goal.

You need to understand that we cant have a side full of bullocking "Luke Balls" we need to inject some run/carry and thats where we have been hurt this year.

As for him "being bashed round by Cats"........tell me which AFL side made a huge play for this guy last year??????....and had they got him with Bartell Sellwood and co in the guts.....we ALL wouldve paid dearly...

Save your breath Teff. I'm amazed that so many posters still fall for Rodger's 3 card trick.

We need some pace. It's not Geelong I'm worried about, because they are not exceptionally fast... it's teams like the Doggies who carved us up in the Prelim.

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
saint66au wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
OLB wrote:

I am not a fan of the Lovett trade either...

The only aspect of it that perhaps works in his favour, is the fact Ross is big on roles, and the role they have in mind for him works with his strengths?

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
Moods wrote:

Our midfield:

a - is 1 paced
b - doesnt kick goals

He also can kick a goal.

Think you're referring to last years ANZAC day game. His second half of the year this year was terrible or have you coveniently ignored that?

I'm happy to inject some pace, and reckon that Burgoyne is a far better bet, and far more complete player. I would be happy to get Lovett for round about 300k - NOT the 500k over inflated price this egotist is asking for. He has done nothing to warrant that price tag, except cause trouble at Essendon. Lovett is 27 turning 28 as well, not exactly a spring chicken. May as well pay the big money that Lovett wants and go for Burgoyne who is the same age.

At least Fev (another trouble maker) has something to hang his hat on, what has Lovett got? I just reckon b/c Lovett has had some good games against us, many of us get seduced by his pace, b/c we don't have much of that.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Saint Bev wrote:Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, not Goose as well. I hate trade week :evil:
Why?

He has delivered nothing for about 3 years........who knows if he'll ever be any good again?

I hope he does well, here or elsewhere (unlike Bally!).