Club Statement- Luke B- :(- wants to go to pies

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Batnoe

Moccha wrote:
Armoooo wrote:I think I'd rather let Ball walk then gift him to the Pies... at least at Melbourne / Richmond/ Freo he can't hurt us come Septermber...
Melbourne and Richmond don't want him and he won't agree to Freo
Collingwood have 9th or 10th pick he wont be around

North then, as long as he isnt there for Collingwood assuming they dont compensate and the little squirt can go to a team that wont push for premiership glory just so he can play more game time

I think Ross was getting logevity out of his body

Play 50 percent of game time for 4 years as apposed to 2 years at 80 percent and i here i thought that Luke was a gifted human being

Luke check your IQ levels mate, less money for a scum club- genius

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

You see, not being on daylight saving does have it's advantages. You get to have the last say!

Another opportunity awaits!
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Moccha wrote:
Armoooo wrote:I think I'd rather let Ball walk then gift him to the Pies... at least at Melbourne / Richmond/ Freo he can't hurt us come Septermber...
if he go's in the PSD he has no choice he go's to who picks him and trust me Freo would wet themself for Ball .... plus they dont care if the player wants to play for them or not

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Moccha
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
Moccha wrote:
if he go's in the PSD he has no choice he go's to who picks him and trust me Freo would wet themself for Ball .... plus they dont care if the player wants to play for them or not
He swallows his pride and stays with St Kilda. He has to agree to terms. Ok so he doesn't chance the PSD and stays with the Saints.

Another opportunity awaits!
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Moccha wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
Moccha wrote:
He swallows his pride and stays with St Kilda. He has to agree to terms. Ok so he doesn't chance the PSD and stays with the Saints.
nah its over Ross would look like a fool making a statment about any player not wanting to comit to the team will be shown the door and then letting luke come back ... this is for real Luke wont play for the saints again and if the trade doesnt come he will be delisted

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
S.A Saint
Club Player

if we cant get the deal done with the pies which i can see them not meeting our standards then what about essendon...they would surely look at him because they only have 1 clearance player in watson....

ball and our 2nd round pick for lovett and their first round

Richter
SS Life Member

Batnoe wrote:Collingwood fans seem to think that pick 30 will see them get Luke Ball

I really hope we dont get screwed like that, we cant do anything with pick 30
Luke Ball, after having been picked up at number 2 in the superdraft and showing so much potential..... is now a GOP. If we're lucky we'll get the pies first round pick in exchange for our 2nd round pick. But I doubt it. He played well in the GF and in the Hawks game in Tassie...... but that is only two games. He had very many extremely ordinary games.

Just one marker of his decline......

Year........Number of Brownlow votes

2004.......8 (2nd in B & F)
2005.......9 (Joint 1st in B & F)

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
Winmarvellous
Club Player

I think you'd probably find it would be Ball and our first rounder for Lovett and their second rounder. His value has fallen that much

groupie1
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:
ace wrote:Contrast while Luke Ball turns his back on St Kilda.

David Wojcinski looks likely to be forced into retirement or elsewhere because of Geelong salary cap issues.

Seems all Geelong players put the team needs first, Ball puts his own needs first.
turns his back on sandy. think about it from lukes perspective. the coach did not rate him. he spent half the year at sandy. like most people he just wants to be loved.

clearly RL has done a fantastic job. hes obviously a great coach and a good man. but if he has one weakness from an outsiders perspective it seems hes very stubborn when it comes to selection and certain players.

he was obsessed with eddy. obsessed with the idea that idea that ball and max were no good. obsessed with zac. very stubborn with raph. i think RL's issue is that he has this working class background where he loves fairytales and battlers. sometimes this emotion cloud his judgement....
you have a good point, Con, sort of. RL is cold-hearted at times (Max, and delisting Attard was rough). And clearly has a thing for Eddy and Dempster, the former I feel is not up to standard.
The Max decision seemed to have been colored by the clear fact you don't do to Zac something that could destroy his confidence forever. Clearly Max is in your best 22, on cold hard facts alone, for the GF, and Zac is out. But RL stuck with it.

He's an odd mix of cold-hearted AND blind-sighted by unfounded faith in certain players and not others.

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

groupie1 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
ace wrote:Contrast while Luke Ball turns his back on St Kilda.

David Wojcinski looks likely to be forced into retirement or elsewhere because of Geelong salary cap issues.

Seems all Geelong players put the team needs first, Ball puts his own needs first.
turns his back on sandy. think about it from lukes perspective. the coach did not rate him. he spent half the year at sandy. like most people he just wants to be loved.

clearly RL has done a fantastic job. hes obviously a great coach and a good man. but if he has one weakness from an outsiders perspective it seems hes very stubborn when it comes to selection and certain players.

he was obsessed with eddy. obsessed with the idea that idea that ball and max were no good. obsessed with zac. very stubborn with raph. i think RL's issue is that he has this working class background where he loves fairytales and battlers. sometimes this emotion cloud his judgement....
you have a good point, Con, sort of. RL is cold-hearted at times (Max, and delisting Attard was rough). And clearly has a thing for Eddy and Dempster, the former I feel is not up to standard.
The Max decision seemed to have been colored by the clear fact you don't do to Zac something that could destroy his confidence forever. Clearly Max is in your best 22, on cold hard facts alone, for the GF, and Zac is out. But RL stuck with it.

He's an odd mix of cold-hearted AND blind-sighted by unfounded faith in certain players and not others.
Unfounded faith??? Thats a strange thing to say coming from someone who has never been to a Match Commitee meeting and has (id imagine) never even spoken to any of the coaching staff.

We as fans are of course allowed opinions, but to declare our coach "blind-sighted" (and I think you might be mixing your metaphors there anyway 8-) ) with no knowledge of the inner sanctum of the Club is pretty rich IMO

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

Get a grip you lot. Reading this you'd reckon we are losing Roo ... :roll:

Players come and go; the club remains. If Luke wants out wish him luck, and do a deal that benefits the club and Luke if possible.

If we could get Wellingham or Goldsack and a 2nd rounder, that would be OK IMO. Free up BJ, and Armo now has an opportunity to show his wares.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Just woke up, appears it wasn't a bad dream :cry:

Oh well, Bally can watch on from elsewhere as we go from strength to strength...time to squeeze the most value out of whoever for him.

ace
Saintsational Legend

If anyone's not up for the challenge, they can walk in and tell me and I'll move them on.
We'll leave no stone unturned to get better.
Now we know to whom Ross Lyon was talking.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
fingers
Saintsational Legend

ausfatcat wrote:
SaintWodonga wrote:I reckon RL has squeezed him out. I get the feel RL is happy tonight. I jst hope we come out of this well. Buygone or Fev (I know we would have to give out more for one of them).

Asolutely BS if Lyon wanted him out he would've been traded already, Luke is asking to be out this is Luke decision not anyone elses, don't try and pin this decision on anyone else.
Agree - RL would not put anything ahead of team success. It's the way of our club now. RL is only happy because there is a a guy leaving who doesn't want to be there.

fingers
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:
Unfounded faith??? Thats a strange thing to say coming from someone who has never been to a Match Commitee meeting and has (id imagine) never even spoken to any of the coaching staff.

We as fans are of course allowed opinions, but to declare our coach "blind-sighted" (and I think you might be mixing your metaphors there anyway 8-) ) with no knowledge of the inner sanctum of the Club is pretty rich IMO
Exactly - if there are guys keeping their spots ahead of others it's because they are doing what is asked. RL coaches for effort not results - results take care of themselves after that. Ball only wen to the 2's because he wasn't doing or able to do what was asked.

markp
Saintsational Legend

OLB wrote:I reckon Roo opened up the meeting with, "no hard feelings, you know how it is, ey Andy?"
Followed by an awkward silence, then "...so, how's the missus?"

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

HarveysDeciple wrote: Exactly, I'm dissapointed the bloke is leaving, but he has tried his heart out for the saints. Played injured, showed courage and leadership, captained the club, won a best and fairest and was in our top 5 in a Grand Final.

Thanks Bally, shame your leaving, but you've given us heart and soul.
This

No Contract, No contact :shock:
DWOODROW
Club Player

I reckon there would be a few others looking at what they are doing at Saints as well if they can't get the amount of time they want. Every player wants to be on the field playing the game they love. If they don't then why play at all. If you don't feel you are getting the right end of the stick then why wouldn't you seek elswhere to get more game time. I understand there are alot of people saying he should stay Loyal to the club but who does that help. Not him in some circumstances and not younger players coming through. Maybe he needs a different perspective from another coach and just maybe he will reignite his career elsewhere. If it's not him going I would expect others inline would be going as well.

SaintDebi
Club Player

Chicken or the egg........?

My first thought was that Luke took note of Ross Lyon's "If you're not prepared to give everthing......" speech and knocked on his door. But then again on second thought maybe that comment was pointedly directed at Ball in the first place?

Shattered dreams are just opportunities for improvement. Live and learn, fail and try harder. 2011 beckons.
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:
OLB wrote:I reckon Roo opened up the meeting with, "no hard feelings, you know how it is, ey Andy?"
Followed by an awkward silence, then "...so, how's the missus?"
Ive just had a Maxwell Smart "Hope I wasnt out of line with that crack about the......" moment lol

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
howlinwolf
Club Player

While I am as disappointed as most of you with Luke leaving it isn't
surprising.

These situations arise in all clubs and in the end it usually benefits both
parties.

Once a club gets up to a Grand Final salary cap issues nearly always
become an issue.

Does anyone think Steven King was a traitor for coming to us ?

He wanted a longer contract at Geelong but they put their premiership
aspirations ahead of him.

The Club is always bigger than the individual as hard as it is to see a loved player move on.

I would think paying Luke $550k a year would put a serious dent in our
chances of winning a flag next year considering the increasing
pressure on our salary cap apart from that.

Would it be fair to the playing group to pay Luke that and compromise
their chances of a flag in 2010 ?

Some have asked what effect Luke leaving will have on the group.
It could also be asked what effect would it have if he stayed ?

I honestly think this move, Like Steven King's could be better for both
parties

Robert Harvey's last home game. 24 Aug 2008
StKilda 13.17 def Adelaide 6.11
Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

Look with all due respect to Luke Ball if he wants to go I say dont let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

He has been a great servant of the club and a great player but if he doesnt want to play for St Kilda anymore then thats just fine with me.

No 1 player is bigger than the club PERIOD

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
ace
Saintsational Legend

DWOODROW wrote:I reckon there would be a few others looking at what they are doing at Saints as well if they can't get the amount of time they want. Every player wants to be on the field playing the game they love. If they don't then why play at all. If you don't feel you are getting the right end of the stick then why wouldn't you seek elswhere to get more game time. I understand there are alot of people saying he should stay Loyal to the club but who does that help. Not him in some circumstances and not younger players coming through. Maybe he needs a different perspective from another coach and just maybe he will reignite his career elsewhere. If it's not him going I would expect others inline would be going as well.
Is that why Stokes who was left out of Geelong's premiership team just signed a contract to STAY at Geelong.

It is about the team not about the self.
If you are not in the team you put in until you make it.
Ball knows he can get it easier elsewhere and $500,000 from Collingwood.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
DWOODROW
Club Player

ace wrote:
DWOODROW wrote:I reckon there would be a few others looking at what they are doing at Saints as well if they can't get the amount of time they want. Every player wants to be on the field playing the game they love. If they don't then why play at all. If you don't feel you are getting the right end of the stick then why wouldn't you seek elswhere to get more game time. I understand there are alot of people saying he should stay Loyal to the club but who does that help. Not him in some circumstances and not younger players coming through. Maybe he needs a different perspective from another coach and just maybe he will reignite his career elsewhere. If it's not him going I would expect others inline would be going as well.
Is that why Stokes who was left out of Geelong's premiership team just signed a contract to STAY at Geelong.

It is about the team not about the self.
If you are not in the team you put in until you make it.
Ball knows he can get it easier elsewhere and $500,000 from Collingwood.
That is right but at the end of the day why stay somewhere you don't feel you are of worth as others might be, I'm not saying it is not about the team but if you WANT to play football and don't get as much game,time etc then half of the battle is lost mentally. Do you think he would be saying I am definitely required if he is sitting on the pine or back in the VFL. Don't think so.
He has gone. Football for some is about giving themselves the best opportunity not the team. And I am talking in the sense that football careers are an open ended contract. Some have great injury free careers. Some play 2 games and retire. ( Allen) He is trying to make his career last with as much football in it as possible. Can't bag him for that.

Milton66
SS Life Member

howlinwolf wrote:While I am as disappointed as most of you with Luke leaving it isn't
surprising.

These situations arise in all clubs and in the end it usually benefits both
parties.

Once a club gets up to a Grand Final salary cap issues nearly always
become an issue.

Does anyone think Steven King was a traitor for coming to us ?

He wanted a longer contract at Geelong but they put their premiership
aspirations ahead of him.

The Club is always bigger than the individual as hard as it is to see a loved player move on.

I would think paying Luke $550k a year would put a serious dent in our
chances of winning a flag next year considering the increasing
pressure on our salary cap apart from that.

Would it be fair to the playing group to pay Luke that and compromise
their chances of a flag in 2010 ?

Some have asked what effect Luke leaving will have on the group.
It could also be asked what effect would it have if he stayed ?

I honestly think this move, Like Steven King's could be better for both
parties
This is one of the most rational and balanced posts on this thread. Well said.

I have admired Ball, but sometimes, things don't work out.

Bluntly: 25 into 22 doesn't go. And there are a few players now fighting for the final few spots.

What does concern me is that there was a contract sitting there for a few months, and if the speculation is correct, and Luke believe's he deserves more game time, then it's sad he's going.

One thing we have learnt this year is that it's a team effort, and within that team, everyone has a role to play. Luke's form does not warrant a bigger role, which it appears he cannot accept.

The club however, has backed him by offering him a 3 year deal... which is more than fair IMO.

Either way, good luck to him, and good luck to the Saints because every setback provides a new opportuinity... which may very well turn out to be a premiership winning opportunity for this club.

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?