OFFICIAL B & F Thread !!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Iceman234 wrote:I can see both sides of it, yet it sends mixed messages when some players are clearly very happy to mix and mingle and have their pics taken with fans who put a lot of dollars into the club.

I have only heard of one player who said no, all others by my reckoning were sensational and as I said some (especally Sam F) seemed very pro-active in making themselves accessible.

And Craig Willis also was more than happy for a chat and a photo...

Also, the players left and went to a private function where they would have been well away fom camera's and us nuffy suporters/sponsors.

Agree with you Iceman that it sends mixed messages for some to participate and others not. In the light of that, whoever it was that was rude should probably have handled it better.

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:I guess like each of us they are all differant- many would still be working through last week, some wondering what this week will bring-

some of us detest photos- others love them

Michael N on saintscentral had also mentioned no photos.....

for me If I go to functions I try to take in atmosphere- which means general photos or agenda specific to enhance memory- ie the tallyboards- and not just photos of me :)
I didn't take a camera last night, but pretty sure the big boofhead made it onto a lot of other camera's :oops:

I love you Fev... :oops:

Seriously though, I felt all the players displayed the utmost professionalism in the wake of the GF heartbreak, and make no mistake, those I spoke with are really hurting. But that level of professionalism is almost a given with this group, they are just rippers.

SaintDebi
Club Player

st.byron wrote:
SaintDebi wrote:
*BaLLy iS BeST* wrote:
I just thought a simple 'no, sorry' wouldn't have been too hard? Oh well, not that big a deal.
Sorry, I disagree. That is a big deal.
I love all the boys and don't know (or want to) who it was.
Yes, if it had been made clear that you were not to approach players for photos or autographs then you were in the wrong, and you have acknowledged that.
But these we are talking about professionals within the boundaries of an official club function to which supporters have been invited.
The fact that these supporters are prepared to fork out big bikkies is an indication of the support they offer to the team. They deserve to be treated respectfully.
It takes no more words, and no more effort to respond with something like, "I'm sorry, we're not doing photos tonight", or even "sorry, the club's already told you not to approach us tonight".
Yes I know that they may have had numbers of people approach, yes they may have been sick of repeating themselves, yes they may have been fed up, full stop.
This does not give them the right to be so rudely dismissive.
At all times while representing the club they should be courteous and respectful.....to everybody.
But then, maybe I'm just too old fashioned, because that's how I believe we should all treat others in all areas of our lives.
Disagree with you Debi. If Craig Willis had specifically asked for people not to ask for autographs, twice, and had also said, 'no photos' then the respect needs to come from the public. It's plainly discourteous for anyone to press for favours when it's been made perfectly clear that it's not on. Anyone asking for photos or autographs after being specifically told not to is out of line and deserves to be told to F*** off. They're human beings, not puppets and admiring and supporting them doesn't mean that respect of privacy and personal space isn't required, especially when it's been spelt out.
Absolutely, saint.byron. I did say that B.I.B was in the wrong. I have no issue with anything you say, EXCEPT for the language chosen. Its not so much the message conveyed by the player, just the words he chose to convey it.
As I said, perhaps it is just my old fashioned view that we should not address other people with that sort of language without true provocation: and to me that would involve more than being asked for a photo. Unless the same person continually came back persisting, which would be another story again.

Shattered dreams are just opportunities for improvement. Live and learn, fail and try harder. 2011 beckons.
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

SaintDebi wrote: Absolutely, saint.byron. I did say that B.I.B was in the wrong. I have no issue with anything you say, EXCEPT for the language chosen. Its not so much the message conveyed by the player, just the words he chose to convey it.
As I said, perhaps it is just my old fashioned view that we should not address other people with that sort of language without true provocation: and to me that would involve more than being asked for a photo. Unless the same person continually came back persisting, which would be another story again.
Agree that rude or insulting language would be inappropriate if other players are actively participating in photos and autographs. It does send a mixed message to have the MC saying no photos and autographs and to then have heaps of guys willing to participate. Can understand someone asking for a snap in those circumstances.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

whoever said it is human
said no photos... then no photos
i wouldnt be even thinking about photos at a B&F myself

but hey
shite happens

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Have had a bit to do with "grass roots" footy over my time - was president of a club, and organised a lot of functions. (bragging rights - included one when Simone Warne was Simone Callahan and working as a promo girl with CUB :lol: )

Now, at every function I was at, and particularly the B&F's, our players and wags and supporters and sponsors would always be in the mix taking a squillion photos.

And those supporters and sponsors and members were paying money, but nowhere near the money that the 1000 people paid last night and probably paid much more throughout the year in various ways.

Look at msot of your own footy club's B&F's facebook pages etc. - how many photo's were taken?!?!

Just because these blokes are being paid $70k to $650k, does that mean they can't be involved - or should it mean they should be involved - as I've said, I reckon all but one farking loved it!

It was an event where people had paid good dollars to be part of it and I think in the main our boys took it extremely well.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Only one player has been mentioned by name, that being Leigh Montagna.

If it was not Joey, please say so, that just leaves 40 or so others.

If it was Joey, I find it completely out of character. He is a neighbour and I've always found him to be a great bloke. I doubt it was Leigh.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Sound like everyone had a nice time, Sam F...maybe potential leadership aspirations?

*BaLLy iS BeST*
Club Player

Like others have said, I agree they say no photos, you don't ask for photos. However, seeing as a lot of people WERE getting photos, and most of the players seemed happy to do so, I didnt see the harm in asking.

I'm sure I just happened to catch this player in a bad moment. Other times they have always seemed very friendly and accommodating. I don't see how saying who it was will achieve anything so I will leave it at that.

i will miss you bally. but i guess you just didn't want to be here.

heres hoping you are regretting that choice on that last day in september 2010 - go saints.
mordi
Club Player

Is there a full tally of votes somewhere, only seen top 10?

What's the Point of it All?
jk23
Club Player

Bernard Shakey wrote:Only one player has been mentioned by name, that being Leigh Montagna.

If it was Joey, I find it completely out of character. He is a neighbour and I've always found him to be a great bloke. I doubt it was Leigh.
Gee that would be hard for you living so close to Kosi..... :wink:

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

So Roo is back with his girl then, that's nice for them both :D

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Absolutely ripping night, I'd like to thank Saintsational for the opportunity, myself and Ghost Wife absolutely loved it. We got the chance to chat with:

Craig Willis (supports no one, just a voice for hire but a true gentleman and very approachable),
Jarryd Allen, feel for him, a lovely young bloke who spoke very well and is handling himself with dignity,
Nick Dal Santo, has a great sense of humour and very approachable,
Sam Fisher, see Nick Dal Santo
Brendon Goddard, talk of excellent leadership ability, spoke very well up on stage and also very approachable in terms of conversation and photos. He will have full movement back in his arm in about a month.
Kosi, obviously loves a night out...a good country lad,
Sam Gilbert, seemed to be everyone's favourite and always had time for those who stopped him,
Molly Meldrum, ridiculously short, had to lift his hat to see it wasn't Paul Callery under there...loves the Saints and a chat,
Michael Roberts, you can take the boy out of the Saints disco but you can't take the Saints disco out of the boy...still a smooth mover,
Steve Silvagni, top bloke with a wife who should be a model!!!
Ross Lyon, this was the man I wanted to speak to and thank. Very approachable with a dry wit, I believe we're in very good hands.

The night was very good, plenty to drink, the food was excellent, the band was good but should have played for longer. The way the votes were conducted was excellent. An absolutely awesome video package on the late great Trevor Barker, brought a tear to my eye. As far as I'm concerned he's in my top 3 Saints ever...actually I think I'll reserve a very special category for him.

As for photos etc, there were officiall cameras there going off everywhere, personal cameras and phones. Can understand the players getting a bit miffed but all who were approached by Ghost Wife seemed only too happy to oblige.

Excellent night, the players and their girlfriends/wives seemed to be having a ball...would love to have received a wrist band to the after party, it would have gone off.

I'll be there next year!!!

saintly
Saintsational Legend

*BaLLy iS BeST* wrote:Was a great night - was lucky to be sitting at the table directly in front of the stage...so got some good photos from that and saw everything up close!
Was bit disappointed with not being able to get photos with the players - only got max, bally and geary - seeing as last time I went to the b+f I got a photo with almost every player. Yes, I understand it's their night and they don't want to be bugged all night, but as long as you aren't interrupting their conversations and bugging them all night, I don't see why it would be such a problem.
Having one high profile (i.e. top 5 finishing) player say to your face 'oh for f***s sake, I'm pretty sure they said no photos' as they walk off and ignore you, when they had previously taken photos with other people...isn't exactly a great experience (and no, I wasn't rude or pushy. I just said 'sorry to ask but you're one of my favourite players, could I get a quick photo).

But still a great night all round, as expected lots of players polled very well, very even across the board. Big cheer for lenny nearing end of the votes, I think a lot expected him to win, but Roo was a very worthy winner. 5 best and fairests - amazing effort.

One thing, if attitude is anything to go by....Armitage was sitting at his table pretty much alone for much of the night, looking like he would rather be anywhere but there. He hardly even seemed to talk to the other players. Just thought it was odd. Did anyone else notice this?
Bally seemed happy, was often sitting and chatting with that core group of players - dal, roo, kosi, etc.

Oh and...did anyone else just about die when they ate the entree?? holy hell....that was deadly spicy!!
yes it was a great. had a great time.

thanks to saintsational.

that entree, was the hottest i have ever had!

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

jk23 wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:Only one player has been mentioned by name, that being Leigh Montagna.

The fact they live at the same address is interesting.

See Leigh quite regularly.

Kosi must be a hermit. I've never seen him. Maybe he wears a disguise.

Saintly_31
Club Player

saintly wrote:
*BaLLy iS BeST* wrote:Was a great night - was lucky to be sitting at the table directly in front of the stage...so got some good photos from that and saw everything up close!
Was bit disappointed with not being able to get photos with the players - only got max, bally and geary - seeing as last time I went to the b+f I got a photo with almost every player. Yes, I understand it's their night and they don't want to be bugged all night, but as long as you aren't interrupting their conversations and bugging them all night, I don't see why it would be such a problem.
Having one high profile (i.e. top 5 finishing) player say to your face 'oh for f***s sake, I'm pretty sure they said no photos' as they walk off and ignore you, when they had previously taken photos with other people...isn't exactly a great experience (and no, I wasn't rude or pushy. I just said 'sorry to ask but you're one of my favourite players, could I get a quick photo).

But still a great night all round, as expected lots of players polled very well, very even across the board. Big cheer for lenny nearing end of the votes, I think a lot expected him to win, but Roo was a very worthy winner. 5 best and fairests - amazing effort.

One thing, if attitude is anything to go by....Armitage was sitting at his table pretty much alone for much of the night, looking like he would rather be anywhere but there. He hardly even seemed to talk to the other players. Just thought it was odd. Did anyone else notice this?
Bally seemed happy, was often sitting and chatting with that core group of players - dal, roo, kosi, etc.

Oh and...did anyone else just about die when they ate the entree?? holy hell....that was deadly spicy!!
yes it was a great. had a great time.

thanks to saintsational.

that entree, was the hottest i have ever had!
Tell me about it!! And that the fact that it had mango in it..lol.

I didnt have a problem with any of the players. Thought they were
quite approach, but they didnt seem them self. CJ is always good
2 talk 2..

Maguire's Squire #25

myspace: www.myspace.com/kirll
Saint Bev
SS Life Member

Not everyone has the opportunity to get to training. We have spent a small fortune on trips to Melb in the latter part of the year and rarely get the chance to see players up close and personal.

We didn't go near them during the formal part of the evening. BUt everyone was more than happy to have a photo taken and was really nice. I have to say though, Koz has a very unusual personality and can understand why people read him the wrong way. HOwever, having said that, I have always found him to be obliging.

Qld Saints Supporter Group
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
jk23 wrote:

Now why would he want to avoid you?

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:
jk23 wrote:

Now why would he want to avoid you?
He wouldn't know me from a bar of soap, same as you.

As I said, I've never seen him locally.