Mike Sheahan's Top 50

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

xander
Club Player

chook23 wrote:1....Ablett
2....Riewoldt
3....Scarlett.......??
4....Hayes
5....Judd
6....Selwood
7....Brown
8....Enright
9....DalSanto
10..Fevola
Can't believe Scarlett got 3rd and Gilbo didn't even get in.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Are we talking about the d**khead from the Foxtel show On The Couch?

If so, what the canal would he know about footy? He's a hack journo.

Saturday night's B&F is more relevant to the Saints.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
xander
Club Player

Bernard Shakey wrote:Are we talking about the d**khead from the Foxtel show On The Couch?

Hey someone has to tell us that Collingwood are a genuine premiership threat.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:Are we talking about the d**khead from the Foxtel show On The Couch?

That would be the very one!

You going to the B&F Bernard?

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:

Nope, I'm off fishing this weekend.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
SainterK wrote:

Nice, have fun...

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:
SainterK wrote:

Nice, have fun...
Schnapper are back in the bay. Sunday dinner beckons.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

1. Ablett
2. Roo
3. Scarlett
4. Hayes
5. Judd
6. Selwood
7. Brown
8. Enright
9. Dal Santo
10. Fev

Munga
Saintsational Legend

No one gives a shite about Mike's opinion. How'd he do in the tipping this year?

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

I am absolutely stuffed as to the Gary Ablett hype.

Sure, great player but WATCH how many cheapies he gets from behind the man on the mark......seriously I rate Bartel higher than this bloke and Bartel CAN go on a gun like Hayes and do a job.

Couldnt give a toss about Gary's 67 posessions....its just a joke.

Riewoldt has WON finals off his own boot this year in THE hardest position on the ground.......and cheap Gary's better?

Nup.

“Yeah….nah””
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

Ablett's deficiencies are genetic - his old man was/is an arsehole, and whatever happens from here on is just a filial thing.

The man with the hat (that's Gazza senior) laid down with a girl half his age who died. The merest fact that no prick from the Ablett family has ever acknowledged that fact remains an indictment. But, it is all DNA.

I follow the StK.F.C. Our leaders are one L.Hayes and one N.Riewoldt. These are fine men, no one doubts them.

I hate everything about Geelong. They are borne of the squatocracy, they are Western District tossers. Malcolm Fraser is their titular head.

But, BUT, it's about Ablett. He's a s***, his old man was a s*** and he's a s***.

I f****** hate him, and I hate very few.

2010 will be our best. It is our destiny.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
Schillaci
Club Player

To have Scarlett 3rd is a joke...rate nearly all of these better than him ...
11.Bartel
12.Swan
13.Chapman
14.Montagna
15.Boyd
16.Goddard
17.O'Keefe
18.Lake
19.Murphy
20.Pendlebury

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

ausfatcat wrote:8. Enright
seriously? he didn't have the 8th best season this year, did he? i have to admit that i didn't see that much geelong but i don't remember much hype about him in any of the match reports. 20 or 30 touches a game off a half-back flank in a team where most players get at least 20 touches, averaged 2.8 tackles and 2.6 inside 50s.

definitely not a bad season, but 8th?

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

If he's at 8, Sammy Gilbert would surely be at about 15.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
saint75
SS Hall of Fame

Teflon wrote:I am absolutely stuffed as to the Gary Ablett hype.

Sure, great player but WATCH how many cheapies he gets from behind the man on the mark......seriously I rate Bartel higher than this bloke and Bartel CAN go on a gun like Hayes and do a job.

Couldnt give a toss about Gary's 67 posessions....its just a joke.

Riewoldt has WON finals off his own boot this year in THE hardest position on the ground.......and cheap Gary's better?

Nup.
I second this. He is a great player, no argument, but the hype around him is bordering on the ridiculous. Reminds me of the hype around Judd. Another great player but not what they are hyped up to be. It is the under rated cattle around them that make them look better than what they are.

Bartel and Chapman are better than Ablett and Sheehan has them in the 10th-20th range. Unfreakin' believable. No faith in his top 50 and this actually the first year i have bothered to read it for myself (Sheehan usually refers to it ad nauseam all year so no need to read it).

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Beej
Saintsational Legend

Bartel and Chapman better than Ablett?

That's silly.

Ablett's a little genius. I haven't seen evasiveness like that since Robert Harvey was in his prime.

A month or two ago there was a "best 10 players you've ever seen" thread.

I had Ablett in my 10.

AFL players for three seasons straight have voted him to be the best footballer in the competition.

How good was this goal?

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

OLB wrote:Bartel and Chapman better than Ablett?

That's silly.

Ablett's a little genius. I haven't seen evasiveness like that since Robert Harvey was in his prime.

I had Ablett in my 10.
In your opinion. This is an opinion game. Neither one of us are right or wrong.

Re-Chapman/Bartel, I believe they have much more of an impact on a game, especially Chapman, than what Ablett does. Would not rate Ablett Jnr in the best of all time, not even close at this stage. His father I would though, regardless of his off field issues.
OLB wrote:AFL players for three seasons straight have voted him to be the best footballer in the competition.
That is laughable at best. Look at what Riewoldt polled? Putting all bias aside, he has been more important and influential to his team this year than what Ablett has. Don't rate this award all that highly after the results this year. Was a couple of other names that didn't poll well that left the eyes raised as well.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Beej
Saintsational Legend

saint75 wrote:

That's silly.

I had Ablett in my 10.

Re-Chapman/Bartel, I believe they have much more of an impact on a game, especially Chapman, than what Ablett does. Would not rate Ablett Jnr in the best of all time, not even close at this stage. His father I would though, regardless of his off field issues.
OLB wrote:AFL players for three seasons straight have voted him to be the best footballer in the competition.
That is laughable at best. Look at what Riewoldt polled? Putting all bias aside, he has been more important and influential to his team this year than what Ablett has. Don't rate this award all that highly after the results this year. Was a couple of other names that didn't poll well that left the eyes raised as well.
Laughable at best in your opinion.

No doubt that Riewoldt is more important to our side than Ablett is to theirs. You know why? Because Geelong have a gun midfield and without Ablett they're still very competitive with Bartel, Chapman, Corey, Selwood in the side. We would fall apart without Riewoldt. If we had Brown, Fevola and Pavlich in our team, Riewoldt wouldn't be as important, but we don't therefore Riewoldt is crucial.

However, AFL coaches have also voted Ablett to be the best player in the competition for the last three years.

You have your opinion and you're entitled to it, I just so happen to share the opinion of most AFL players and coaches who may know a thing or two about the game.

If the competition was starting up and each coach had to build their side from scratch, there would not be a single coach out there who would select Bartel or Chapman before Ablett.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Ablett vs Riewoldt is a futile argument anyway. Ablett's the best mid, Riewoldt's the best forward. Some like Judd more than Ablett, some like Brown more than Riewoldt. In any case, they're all spectacular players.

Now Joel Selwood at 6. That's embarrassing.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
saints11
Club Player

chook23 wrote:1....Ablett
2....Riewoldt
3....Scarlett.......??
4....Hayes
5....Judd
6....Selwood
7....Brown
8....Enright
9....DalSanto
10..Fevola
Scarlett 3rd better than judd hayes brown dal santo montagna :roll:

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

vacuous space wrote:Ablett vs Riewoldt is a futile argument anyway. Ablett's the best mid, Riewoldt's the best forward. Some like Judd more than Ablett, some like Brown more than Riewoldt. In any case, they're all spectacular players.

Now Joel Selwood at 6. That's embarrassing.
Mike shoots it in his pants over Joel Selwood.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
falka
Club Player

The OtherThommo wrote:Ablett's deficiencies are genetic - his old man was/is an arsehole, and whatever happens from here on is just a filial thing.

The man with the hat (that's Gazza senior) laid down with a girl half his age who died. The merest fact that no prick from the Ablett family has ever acknowledged that fact remains an indictment. But, it is all DNA.

I follow the StK.F.C. Our leaders are one L.Hayes and one N.Riewoldt. These are fine men, no one doubts them.

I hate everything about Geelong. They are borne of the squatocracy, they are Western District tossers. Malcolm Fraser is their titular head.

But, BUT, it's about Ablett. He's a s***, his old man was a s*** and he's a s***.

I f****** hate him, and I hate very few.

2010 will be our best. It is our destiny.
This is easily the most disgusting post I have read on here. Ablett jnr is a brilliant player, senior also. So what are you suggesting Ablett should quit footy and spend 20 years in jail for his old man to acknowledge a death? Please

matrix
Saintsational Legend

scarlett at 3
do me a fav
yeah i hate him
and yeah great player

but 3rd?? :roll:

mehhh
one persons opinion i guess

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

OLB wrote:
saint75 wrote:

That's silly.

I had Ablett in my 10.

Laughable at best in your opinion.

No doubt that Riewoldt is more important to our side than Ablett is to theirs. You know why? Because Geelong have a gun midfield and without Ablett they're still very competitive with Bartel, Chapman, Corey, Selwood in the side. We would fall apart without Riewoldt. If we had Brown, Fevola and Pavlich in our team, Riewoldt wouldn't be as important, but we don't therefore Riewoldt is crucial.

However, AFL coaches have also voted Ablett to be the best player in the competition for the last three years.

You have your opinion and you're entitled to it, I just so happen to share the opinion of most AFL players and coaches who may know a thing or two about the game.

If the competition was starting up and each coach had to build their side from scratch, there would not be a single coach out there who would select Bartel or Chapman before Ablett.
Don't be so precious. I did not say he was not a fantastic player, I just don't believe he is as good as they hype him to be and a few of his team mates are hard done by.

A lot of the footy scribes you believe are 'experts' also could not believe how low Rooey polled in that medal. It is a midfielders medal like the Brownlow now unfortunately and it's stocks have plummeted. Comparing Rooey and Ablett is like comparing apple and oranges, you can't compare them. However, you can compare there importance to their respective teams.

Do you really believe that after Chapman's year this year and last year that he would not be picked ahead of Ablett? They really suffered when he was out of the team. Not so when Ablett wasn't there. Think you might be amazed who would or would not be picked before Ablett.

Also, just out of curiosity, where did Enright end up on this list of Mick's? Geelong's own coaching team did not see Ablett as their outright favourite. It is all based on opinion. Makes it interesting and gives us all something to argue about.... :twisted:

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:
I thought Sheahan was a Demons supporter for some reason...Pies, huh?
Sheahan is a "Company Man" first & foremost

Melbourne is his team

Collingwood sells newspapers

!!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!