Essendon Rumour

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

I'd give up Caydn Beetham.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
shmic_s
Club Player

mick13 wrote:
ausfatcat wrote:
Batnoe wrote:apart from Hurley essendon get their first round picks horribly wrong

Kepler Bradley anyone?

Hurley is yet to prove anything on the field either and off the field ?
You don't mean that...?

Fk, I'd give up Armitage to get Hurley!

would be better than a kick in the nuts

suss
Club Player

Batnoe wrote:apart from Hurley essendon get their first round picks horribly wrong

Kepler Bradley anyone?
They've done some ordinary drafting over the past few years. In 2006, 2007 and 2008, they could have chosen:

- Joel Selwood
- Rhys Palmer; and
- Daniel Rich.

Ouch. I suppose Hurley will make up for one of those but as for the others... :roll:

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Ordinary drafting?
They picked Scott Gumbleton with pick 2 in 2006 and probably every other club would have done the same. Some/many would have taken him with pick 1, as the wraps on him were HUGE. Bigger than they were on Hurley last year. He's been decimated by injury. As for Selwood, 6 other clubs also overlooked him that year, so Essendon were hardly Robinson Caruso. 6 other clubs also overlooked Rich and Palmer and I think they'd be very happy to have Hurley, instead of Rich.
As for Myers, the fact he played 8 games before getting injured last year (in his first year away from home/WA) is a very good sign, especially for someone tall and lean, who looks like he needs to fill out a bit. I wouldn't read to much into the fact he only played 6 this year, as very few at that age do well in their second year (and he may have also missed some of those through injury.)

saintly
Saintsational Legend

matrixcutter wrote:Bally HAS been given a contract
yes that was mentioned by ross on 3AW, but has not signed it as yet.

flyingwhale18
Club Player

saintly wrote:
matrixcutter wrote:Bally HAS been given a contract
yes that was mentioned by ross on 3AW, but has not signed it as yet.
really hope he signs it!
obviously will be for less than his previous contract. really want Bally sticking around.

team: oh when the saints!
milne: oh when the saints...
team: go marching in!
milne: GO MARCHING IN!
suss
Club Player

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:They picked Scott Gumbleton with pick 2 in 2006 and probably every other club would have done the same. Some/many would have taken him with pick 1, as the wraps on him were HUGE.
Their drafting has been ordinary; that's not to say that it was 'pathetic' or 'woeful', but jeepers I think it's fair to say that they could have done mlies better.

On Selwood, I don't think it's a defence to argue that it wasn't a mistake because just six other clubs over looked him. I think it's irrelevant that the 'wraps' on Gumbleton were huge - as a number 2 draft pick he's been a failure. The fact that Selwood was there 6 picks later just compounds the misery as far as I'm concerned.

Hurley v Rich - fair enough on this one - only time will tell. Maybe also with Palmer and Myers but as it stands yes - I would say there performance has been ordinary. Throw in Kepler Bradley and I don't think they're any better off.

thirty-seven!?
Club Player

Selwood was always rated as one of the top few players, but went into the draft with some very big injury concerns... (i think it was his shoulders...)

Obviously, he has proven the medicos wrong, but whoever took the punt on him that year was always going to be rewarded - but also were taking a massive risk! It was much like when Judd got drafted (shoulder issues too)

Myers is actually quite a good player - great leadership qualities and a good disposal off half back... in fact, as a Saints fan, i hoped we would draft him that year. And just like many other young players, he seems to have had some second year blues - yes he was injured this year and last, but the games he did play he wasnt very good. Part of this is to do with his lack of pre-season (just look at the Hawthorn list to see what no pre-season does to you!).

So whilst yes, there were some better options at that stage of the draft (hindsight is a wonderful thing!), none of Myers, Gumbleton or Hurley have proven to be poor choices. In fact, Hurley looks a gun... Myers looked the goods last year when nominated for the NAB rising star... And Gumby is the unknown factor - still highly rated despite his injuries... only time will tell i guess...

As for the proposed trade, it would be hard to take. We do not need Myers unless we lost Raph... Lovett though would be fantastic for us. But i still feel we need Bally. Goose now seems dispensable, but i still find it hard to fathom Armo playing Bally's role as well as Ball himself has in years gone by...

Plus i doubt this rumour is true - Essendon were vocal a little while ago on their want to hold onto Myers when a few other clubs came sniffing...

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

No disrespect thirty seven, I don't doubt you re Meyers, but is it just me or whenever anyone says 'what about this guy or that guy' is 'that guy' a Saints supporter 9 times out of 10 or what???

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Elvis
Club Player

Re: Essendon Rumour

older saint wrote:Rumour on essendon fansite - Ball and Maguire for Lovett and Meyer
Ball and Maguire for Lovett and Meyer, liar, liar, your pants are on fire.

thirty-seven!?
Club Player

Thinline wrote:No disrespect thirty seven, I don't doubt you re Meyers, but is it just me or whenever anyone says 'what about this guy or that guy' is 'that guy' a Saints supporter 9 times out of 10 or what???
haha... yeah they always seem to be!

But let's be honest - pretty good club! 8-)

Dont think Myers was a Saints fan tho... :?

thirty-seven!?
Club Player

Oops... reading my post back, i see wat u mean Thinline... I meant that ME "as a saints fan, i wanted to draft him..." (cos i liked the look of him at draft time...)

Sorry for the confusion (badly worded...)

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:I realise that, but I don't think there's any reason to suggest he won't.
Um, that Essendon are (supposedly) trading him? They'd be keeping him if they thought he'd be a star.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

It would have to be Lovett and Pears if Essendon want Ball and McGuire

:lol:

Six debutants for the Saints so far in Season 2024. :D
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

You've got to be kidding! Both of their guys are likely to have FAR more of an impact for the remainder of their careers than our two are, unfortuately.
The talk in the paper today is that we may well lose Goose and get nothing at all in return. Essendon apparently reckon they'll be able to get hm in the draft, because maybe no-one else wants him.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/g ... 5782338464

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

suss wrote:
AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:They picked Scott Gumbleton with pick 2 in 2006 and probably every other club would have done the same. Some/many would have taken him with pick 1, as the wraps on him were HUGE.
Their drafting has been ordinary; that's not to say that it was 'pathetic' or 'woeful', but jeepers I think it's fair to say that they could have done mlies better.

On Selwood, I don't think it's a defence to argue that it wasn't a mistake because just six other clubs over looked him. I think it's irrelevant that the 'wraps' on Gumbleton were huge - as a number 2 draft pick he's been a failure. The fact that Selwood was there 6 picks later just compounds the misery as far as I'm concerned.
I guess they didn't have your "Crystal ball" when they chose Gumbleton, just like we didn't when we overlooked Judd (who'd just had at least two shoulder reconstructions) and chose Bally instead. It could have just as easily gone the other way with Selwood playing no footy (because of the injuries clubs were worried about) and Gumbleton dominating and becoming another "Johnathan Brown type", as was expected (and may still be).
If you're as good at predicting these things, as you obviously are, talking like this, maybe you should offer them your services for a fee. I'm sure they'd be grateful and you can make a lot of money.

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

In the HS this morning it states that Ball wants to remain at St.Kilda, but he will be on a smaller salary.
That's ok, he continues what he did last week and his next contract will be for more.
Mind you, I'd happily work for his smaller salary, probably a bit more than what I make.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

That's all well and good, but it's worth remembering that last weeks conditions suited him right down to the ground. He doesn't get those sort of conditions very often in a season, playing for us. He's also keeping Armo out of the team, which needs to be taken into consideration. It's hard to see the need for both and we've invested a lot in Armo and he hopefully has 10 years ahead of him. If he spends another year in the VFL we'll probably lose him to the Gold Coast for pretty much nothing in return.

ace
Saintsational Legend

I don't want Lovett and all of Myers.

Now If they could only offer me Lovett and Jennifer Hawkins. :D :D :D

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
ace
Saintsational Legend

#1GILL wrote:Myers was taken around pick 5 or 6 a couple of years ago was he not?

Why would they trade a young player who will be very important to them in the next couple of years, to a club where he won't get a game?
David Myers 190cm taken in 2007 (2 years ago) National Draft pick No 6.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA