I love that we love Ross Lyon

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
matrixcutter wrote:schneides kicks 4 goal 1 and we wouldnt even be talking about it
Absolutely.
I agree. All right. :shock:

bigred
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
matrixcutter wrote:schneides kicks 4 goal 1 and we wouldnt even be talking about it
Absolutely.
But since he missed.....Lyon cocked it up.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
SainterK wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
SainterK wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
SainterK wrote:
Of course they were....
There were a couple of guys who were oddly 'first picked' each year that on GF showed why their selection was questioned throughout the year.

Some of 'Lyon's favourites' didn't cut it and it was an error to pick them.
So I was correct to assume that the only part of your post that was your own opinion, is related to selection issues?

Everything else you mentioned is not opinion, it is self confessed musings from Ross Lyon himself.

So why not just say "I had issues with such and such selections" ?

I don't think you read my post.
Oh but I did, you had these revelations prior to Ross...you just allowed him ample time to come clean before you felt compelled to share them with us?
Oh dear.

Again, sorry. I forgot where I was.

I love Ross Lyon. He is perfect.
Where did I say he was perfect, I was highlighting the fact that you have not brought to our attention anything that we didn't already know from Ross himself...

Why do you always feel the need to white flag Roger...

matrix
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
Absolutely.
apparently bigred yeah

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
Absolutely.
Spot on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pretty sure Ross can't kick it for them.
Last edited by Milan Faletic on Fri 02 Oct 2009 12:42pm, edited 1 time in total.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
Absolutely.
err cough cough..I thought Schneids was a selection mistake favourite that should not have played.

I note that you are "careful" to not actually state who should not have played...and who should of...

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

If Zac Dawsons spoil had gone virtually anywhere else there most likely would have been an extra bit of Saintly Silverware ......

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
Absolutely.
err cough cough..I thought Schneids was a selection mistake favourite that should not have played.

I note that you are "careful" to not actually state who should not have played...and who should of...
Don't expect to much SRS, he has already skulked out of here....and not answered either of us :wink:

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

To show how far the club has come under the current regime, just imagine that Stan Alves was sacked a year after getting us to the same position. Can you see the current regime/structure falling apart in such a spectacular way? I for one, can't. Long may RL rule. He's still only a 3rd year coach and given the massive improvement he's made in just the past 18 months or so, I look forward to a couple of flags in the next 3-5 years.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:If Zac Dawsons spoil had gone virtually anywhere else there most likely would have been an extra bit of Saintly Silverware ......
You're not saying that luck played a big part are you?

matrix
Saintsational Legend

here we go............ :roll:

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

matrixcutter wrote:here we go............ :roll:
There's no need for this to turn feral.

No need at all.

If people get some perspective, then there is no need whatsoever for this to escalate.

I doubt it will happen though. And I doubt SrR wants it to happen, otherwise a thread so laiden with bait as juicy as the title and OP would never have been created.

Lyon made errors on the day. He panicked when it got hot. So did some players. Doesn't mean he's a bad coach, doesn't mean he should be sacked, doesn't mean I 'hate' him.

It also doesn't mean he is great. It means he had a very good year as a coach, but didn't perform in the finals.

As I pointed out earlier in the year though, I felt he was relying on Roo to win us games.
During the finals to me, this was very evident. And a concern.

His comments post-GF suggest that he tried that trick one too many times and it cost us dearly.

It wasn't the defining moment. Nor was Schneider's miss in the 1st quarter, nor was the non-free to Milne followed by the free and 50m penalty to Ablett.
However in a GF, when you make as many errors as we did (in the box and on the park) you cannot realisitically expect to win.

Having said that, we nearly did. We f***ed up big time really - yet nearly won.
There's no need to panic at all. We're good enough. We, as supporters, don't need to sit back for the next 6 months and cross our fingers that we'll find an extra 20% improvement from somewhere.
We need to improve in the box, and we need to improve above the shoulders.

They are the areas that cost us.

As for selection, I haven't mentioned players specifically because I don't think it's fair. I rarely pot individual players. And after a GF loss, I hardly think it's ideal to be saying that guys shouldn't have played.

But clearly, you don't need to be Einstein to know that some players who were being picked all year that had people scratching their heads - in the end didn't deliver when it counted.

I commented that Lyon's mistakes would be realised if we suffered injuries. As usual, some people jumped all over it without thinking logically about what was meant. To be fair, quite a few logical people knew exactly what I meant.

The point was, that when everything is going your way it looks easy and everything appears to be perfect. In reality though, your decisions aren't tested until they're put under the microscope.
Losing players to injury, or a Grand Final are a pretty decent microscope.

And in this case, there were some things that were highlighted. Selections weren't right, some players heads weren't right, and our tactics were flimsy.

Now don't get me wrong, alot of things were very well done from the box. But to come out and declare that we should idolise a guy and start putting nude pictures of him up in our bedrooms, after he just made crucial mistakes in the biggest game in the club's recent history - to me lacks logic and perspective, and reeks of immaturity.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

yeah ya right
its why ya posted all that 'bait' above

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

matrixcutter wrote:yeah ya right
its why ya posted all that 'bait' above
When someone else posts it - opinion.

When I post it - bait.

Is that how it works?

matrix
Saintsational Legend

if ya want
yeah sure why not

Joffa 5
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:If Zac Dawsons spoil had gone virtually anywhere else there most likely would have been an extra bit of Saintly Silverware ......
This one moment is what keeps haunting me. :evil:

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Rodger - your wisdom in hindsight just made me feel physically ill.

Lyon coached on game day. You are 'coaching' on a replay.

Lyon coached a team to a plan that worked. The players did not ice the cake.

What's left to discuss?

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
matrix
Saintsational Legend

so
on the other side of the coin

dempster mini and schneides all kick one of the points as goals and then there is no problem?

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Lyon coached a team to a plan that worked. The players did not ice the cake.
This.

Look at the stats, watch the replay...

Coulda, shoulda....

Should have been four goals up at half time.

Should have been six goals up at three quarter time...

Lyon coached well with the selected team imo....If EVERYTHING had of gone our way we could have just iced the last quarter completely.

2009 was a freakin outstanding year. Outstanding! Should have had a cup to just put the dot on the exclamation point. Without a flag is is still a fail year though. But I think we are on the right track.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Milton66
SS Life Member

rodgerfox wrote:

No need at all.

If people get some perspective, then there is no need whatsoever for this to escalate.

I doubt it will happen though. And I doubt SrR wants it to happen, otherwise a thread so laiden with bait as juicy as the title and OP would never have been created.

Lyon made errors on the day. He panicked when it got hot. So did some players. Doesn't mean he's a bad coach, doesn't mean he should be sacked, doesn't mean I 'hate' him.

It also doesn't mean he is great. It means he had a very good year as a coach, but didn't perform in the finals.

As I pointed out earlier in the year though, I felt he was relying on Roo to win us games.

His comments post-GF suggest that he tried that trick one too many times and it cost us dearly.

It wasn't the defining moment. Nor was Schneider's miss in the 1st quarter, nor was the non-free to Milne followed by the free and 50m penalty to Ablett.
However in a GF, when you make as many errors as we did (in the box and on the park) you cannot realisitically expect to win.

There's no need to panic at all. We're good enough. We, as supporters, don't need to sit back for the next 6 months and cross our fingers that we'll find an extra 20% improvement from somewhere.

As for selection, I haven't mentioned players specifically because I don't think it's fair. I rarely pot individual players. And after a GF loss, I hardly think it's ideal to be saying that guys shouldn't have played.

But clearly, you don't need to be Einstein to know that some players who were being picked all year that had people scratching their heads - in the end didn't deliver when it counted.

I commented that Lyon's mistakes would be realised if we suffered injuries. As usual, some people jumped all over it without thinking logically about what was meant. To be fair, quite a few logical people knew exactly what I meant.

The point was, that when everything is going your way it looks easy and everything appears to be perfect. In reality though, your decisions aren't tested until they're put under the microscope.

And in this case, there were some things that were highlighted. Selections weren't right, some players heads weren't right, and our tactics were flimsy.

Now don't get me wrong, alot of things were very well done from the box. But to come out and declare that we should idolise a guy and start putting nude pictures of him up in our bedrooms, after he just made crucial mistakes in the biggest game in the club's recent history - to me lacks logic and perspective, and reeks of immaturity.
1- he didn't perform? Hmm, we lost the last final by a kick. Won the other 2. Yes: definite fail.

2- Relying on Roo early in the year? Please show me the stats. So we should ignore Roo? That's what he's paid for.

3- Don't just make comments. Tell us which players should not have been picked, and who you would have preferred.

4- As many errors in the box. Name them please. Given that we didn't kick straight, which cost us the game... the opportunities were there. So which errors exactly?

5- flimsy tactics. Once again, please name them. Our flimsy tactics should have seen the game over by half time. Had we nailed our shots, then they would have been brilliant tactics.

Seriously, why do you think your comments are taken as bait?

If you want to make the call, back it up, or simply don't make them.

And you seriously wonder why... :roll:

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:

No need at all.

Now let me point out a few things...

Once again, you have brought nothing new or original about Lyons coaching on the day to the table other than what he has highlighted himself. Just because you surround with paragraphs of sensationalism, doesn't make you sound clever.

The ONLY thing that you can bring to the table in this discussion that is in fact RF opinion, you shirk at every opportunity....and that was selection.

I am beginning to understand how much you love the little role you play on here, and can see that you feel quite clever about it. However, what is evident to me, is when you sift through the big words and lovely grammar, you don't really say anything after all.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
You're not saying that luck played a big part are you?
No..not a big part..just pointing out your bagging of Lyon is ridiculous.

The Big Part was players not icing gettable goals at a normally expected rate. Because of poor execution in goal-kicking it got down to the wire.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Fri 02 Oct 2009 1:59pm, edited 1 time in total.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:

I am beginning to understand how much you love the little role you play on here, and can see that you feel quite clever about it. However, what is evident to me, is when you sift through the big words and lovely grammar, you don't really say anything after all.
And that sums up RF posts in a nutshell.

He carefully writes so that he can twist the meaning to be anything later.

On playing selection though it should be black & white..but RF skirts so next season after some incident he can infer what plays it was.

For example MB to his credit, by contrast came and stated pre-game..No Dempster and In Armo.

Whether he was right or wrong who knows. But at least MB's opinion has credibility as an opinion because he clearly comes out and says what he means.

Stating on a public forum for fans that you can't name players is just utter rubbish...particularly when RF is busy bagging the coach.

aussiejones
Club Player

I reckon Ross learnt quite a bit in the GF.

2010 should see the results . He is a smart guy who did well all year.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

aussiejones wrote:I reckon Ross learnt quite a bit in the GF.

2010 should see the results . He is a smart guy who did well all year.
Agreed.