Steven King?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintrod
Club Player

Steven King?

I know he is out of contract and there is talk that he will sign a one year deal.

I also understand the argument for having another experienced ruck on our books given that Gardiner is injury prone and our backups are two developing rucks in McEvoy and Stanley.

But the real question is are there better options than King available to fill the role as an experienced ruck. We also have Maguire who could be used as a player to obtain a good but not great experienced ruck.

I thought King's form in the second half of the season was quite poor and very little different to McEvov overall ie King was better at hitouts but McEvoy was better around the ground.

I would have thought a player like Jamar for example who IMO beat our guys when we played Melbourne and is younger might be a better option ie he has just turned 26.

There are probably other options around as well but the bottom line is I am not convinced that King is our best option next year as an experienced ruck.

IMO his form is not going to better next year and probably worse and if this is the case I don't know why we would want him on our list.

GrumpyOne

We get a ruck coach and a player for the one salary.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

That's true, but he doesn't have a lot else going for him.
When I heard a few weeks ago that we were "keen to sign him up again for next year" I was wondering why on Earth we'd be rushing to do that. Surely he'd only be back-up to Gardi and Mac. He's been a bit like a statue once the ruck contests are over lately and is not likely to be less so next year. Meanwhile, the guys in the ruck in other teams are getting more mobile.
I also thought about the prospect of getting someone from another club, to have as back-up to Gardi and Mac, although they might not be keen to do that.
If we get Fev it may mean King is pushed out, because Kosi would then be able to take over, if Gardi or Mac missed games.
Last edited by AnythingsPossibleSaints on Fri 02 Oct 2009 11:32am, edited 2 times in total.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
bigred
Saintsational Legend

2009 will be super valuable for Macca.

King WAS pretty average in the second half of the season...

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
fingers
Saintsational Legend

I think you wilm find that we will get him very cheap and he will be a back up for McEvoy. King may only play 6-10 games but will have lots to teach Ben.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

Could be the one season to long if continues in 2010........

hard call by player list management.

saint4life
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

fingers wrote:I think you will find that we will get him very cheap and he will be a back up for McEvoy. King may only play 6-10 games but will have lots to teach Ben.
So he gets to teach the guy who's keeping him out of the team? I like it!

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
JABBER
Club Player

steven king

give him one more year played on when his shoulder pop out

trevor barker
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

meh, look for King to stay on the list as back up, McEvoy will play 10-12 games, Stanley may get a taste, King will play the rest.

no dramas for mine

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Gardy will be #1.

Macca should be #2 and really be pushing to play every game.
That is if he is the genuine next ruckman.

Stanley should be looking for game time this year no doubt. 5+ games and the injury backup.

King is a concern imo. He is a valueable commodity due to his experience and assistance for these younger blokes, but with that said, you dont want him holding back the future. GOOD rucks are rare as a backbone at Richmond.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

King is insurance. He's got a massive frame that can take a beating which would cripple McEvoy or Stanley. He doesn't do much aroud the groud but he is a physical presence and will at least give our mids a chance to win the contested ball.

I actually like having Gards as number one and McEvoy as backup but wouldn't want Mac going in as number one against Sandilands/McIntosh/Jolly. We would get seriously thrashed in the hitouts and could result in long term injury problems for the kids.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: Steven King?

saintrod wrote:I know he is out of contract and there is talk that he will sign a one year deal.

t.
I think he has already re-signed...along with Gardi.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
battye
Saintsational Legend

King is important.

To be honest, I don't want our list (I mean, anyone that played a game this year) to change too much. I think we can definitely win the premiership next year with the same group we used this year (plus a few more depending on what RL thinks is necessary in trade week / draft week).

Obviously Max is the exception as he has retired.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

GrumpyOne wrote:We get a ruck coach and a player for the one salary.
Exactly.

Played the 2nd 1/2 of the year with a very dodgy shoulder. I see 2010 as being a year of transition from Kingy to Ben. The thought of Rhys Stanley getting 1-2 games is also an option that will be good for his/our ruck stocks /development !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

dont be too quick to write him off .. King still has a lot of value left his second half of the year wasnt the best but that was after his shoulder got injured (just ask LorisWA she remembers the day well especially the footage of big kingy with his shirt off on the side lines )

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
oh when
Club Player

Re- signed

I also thought he had re-signed about six weeks ago.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:dont be too quick to write him off .. (just ask LorisWA she remembers the day well especially the footage of big kingy with his shirt off on the side lines )
Has she recovered yet ? :roll: :lol: :wink: !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

squiz
Club Player

King is insurance
But even at Geelong he could not take a mark
if his life depended on it.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

squiz wrote:King is insurance
But even at Geelong he could not take a mark
if his life depended on it.
What about that "Screamer" he took over the goal umpire? !!

GrumpyOne

Eastern wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:dont be too quick to write him off .. (just ask LorisWA she remembers the day well especially the footage of big kingy with his shirt off on the side lines )
Has she recovered yet ? :roll: :lol: :wink: !!
Almost had a stroke. :D

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

There was a moment in the GF late where someone scrambled the ball inside 50 and but for a millisecond or an ounce of luck Kingy would have been putting us in front with a set shot 30 metres out 45 degrees...

Anyone else know what I'm talking about?

It was one of those 's*** I marked it, no I didn't, s*** I still can, f*** it' sort caught-me-by-surprise ones that happen from time to time in heavily contested situations...

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
groupie1
Club Player

Need to keep King to support Gards and McEvoy, who will rightly be one and two. Gards will get injuries, McEvoy will need spells every 5-6 weeks.

Only change to that is if we get Fev, meaning Kozi back in the ruck. In which case gently nudging King into retirement would be the only way to go.

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga