Tom Lynch and co...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Tom Lynch and co...

I saw sweet bugger all of Sandringham this year. Heck, I struggled to make it to ten Saints games in '09.

A heap of talk about Lynch being a step up for 2010. Could someone please post some info on how his season was this year? Many people throwing his name about as a bloody savior for our forward line next year.

How did he go in '09.

Any dramas with his knee?

How do you think he will be with a proper pre season under his belt?

Also, any info on any of the other kids from the '07 and '08 draft that are still floating around would be good too.

I think many people on here could do with some actual info on these guys instead of basing hopes and dreams on something they know little about.

Cheers in advance.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Tom Lynch and co...

i saw a couple of sandy games where he was okay, but heard enough from good judges such as marto to suggest that he is going to be a player.

seems to know where the goals are and. imo, we need someone in that third tall forward role who can impact on the scoreboard.

bj would be ideal, but might be considered too valuable doing what he is doing.

if lynch is not ready then raph or farren ray might be possibilities i guess. both are deceptively strong aerially - which is important in that role - and creative players.

ray had an average finals series, but i'd back him to hit back next year. raph shouldn't be played as a defender, imo, but could go okay as an onballer, winger or half forward.

or we can go back to jimmy gwilt or dempster.

BaysideSaint
Club Player

the only thing i saw was bigred's avatar :shock:

bigred
Saintsational Legend

BaysideSaint wrote:the only thing i saw was bigred's avatar :shock:
Yes, very happy in the pants about the avatar...

I've seen a bit of footage from his Vic metro carnival prior to being drafted.

Was a good size junior, demanded the ball somewhat and had good speed and second efforts.

Curious to how his year with Sandy was.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Joffa 5
Club Player

+1 :shock:

Schillaci
Club Player

bigred wrote:
Yes, very happy in the pants about the avatar...

I've seen a bit of footage from his Vic metro carnival prior to being drafted.

Was a good size junior, demanded the ball somewhat and had good speed and second efforts.

Curious to how his year with Sandy was.
Don't care what you post bigred....but keep on posting. :wink:

GrumpyOne

Is that a whip in her hand or is she just glad to see me?

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Back on topic.....Although she is just the hawtness aight! :P

Also, is there any fact to the Tungatalum homesickness that was mentioned on the boards earlier in the week?

Quite keen to get info on our young fringe list.....

Fulham_Sainter
Club Player

Got a mate who works for Sandy and he reckons Stanley will be a gun. Reckons Ross T isn't going to make it.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Fulham_Sainter wrote:Got a mate who works for Sandy and he reckons Stanley will be a gun
rhys stanley, lead up forward :wink:

PJ
SS Life Member

rhys stanley, lead up forward
Haven't seen him play but judging from the half time entertainment at the G the kids got speed.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:
rhys stanley, lead up forward
Haven't seen him play but judging from the half time entertainment at the G the kids got speed.
probably too tall, but as you say he is quick. i'm hoping he's not pigeon-holed as ruck only.

limits the chances of getting games into a very good prospect,

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Just a little bit of speed. And can jump, big time. And kick. In the Sandy game that was televised on ABCTV late in the season, he had a couple of set shots for goal and looked a very competent kick. One was from outside 50, INTO the wind and it went straight through. Would have covered close to 60m all up.
Last edited by AnythingsPossibleSaints on Fri 02 Oct 2009 11:42am, edited 1 time in total.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

If Lynch was at Melbourne he would of played 15 games this year.

I think he is ready to do the same for us next year. 8-12 anyway.

Seems to be a smart player,knows where to move.

Has 50 goal forward written all over him down the track

Bring back the Lockett era
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Tom looks like a less freakish and slightly taller version of Stevie J.

PJ
SS Life Member

I think it's interesting most people apply the "you need a couple of years in the 2's" theory to every player that comes through. Some players thrive at the higher level and in fact need that environment to get the best out of themselves - not saying this is so with Stanley but I'd be interested to see how goes.

Lynch and Heyne are the ones that stand out for a go next year along with Armo and Steven but I wouldn't mind seeing what Stanley's got in the NAB next year.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:Tom looks like a less freakish and slightly taller version of Stevie J.
He does move a lot like him doesn't he

Bring back the Lockett era
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

jonesy wrote:
AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:Tom looks like a less freakish and slightly taller version of Stevie J.
He does move a lot like him doesn't he
Indeed. Same sort of body shape, too, I reckon.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Gotta admit with Lynch....he looks like he could develop into a really strong bodied player. The kind with a very strong core. Hard. Be interesting what this preseason will do with him.

Stanley used to stand on peoples heads as a junior....rediculous vert leap apparently. Also was top five in the sprints at draft camp...we should have picked him for the GF sprint and won some cash at the lucky shop.

I think Jack Steven is a monty. Emergency list for two finals. They obviously rate him. Well positioned.

The mail I had on Tungatalum was that he was very one wayed. No defensive side. If we could have drilled that into him he would be a player. He is a dasher. IMO a rediculously fast HFF or FP is something we have never had in the past 20 years.... Would be unhappy to lose him after one year rookied.

A few of these kids have a lot of upside...

Please keep adding info if you have any.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

I'm also quite optimistic about the prospects of Alistair Smith. Gets under the radar a bit, but looks to have all the physical attributes required to make it (Genuine speed, evasiveness, good skills and gets the ball).

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Was gunna post the same thing. Has really got the Stievei J's about him. If he turns out 3/4 as good as SJ at his best, we are in for a hell of a treat.

Saw him a couple of times during the year. Seemed to have poise and a bit of skill to go with a bit of toe (and a ranga to boot).

I look forward to seeing him and Cahill and Heyne and Steven, and Big Mac and our Ushain Bolt, Rhys Stanley coming through. I reckon all five could make it regularily in our seniors.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

This year Lynch struck me as a very clever, neat player who didn't quite have the confidence and experience to put a real stamp on the game.

Every time he goes near the ball something good happens, but he can go missing for long periods of time and never really tore a team apart.

I could see him taking the spot Gwilt occupied for the first half of this year and kicking 25-30 goals next year if he buils up a bit and believes that he is good enough.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Strikes me as a natural forward who knows when and were to run OFFENSIVELY.

However modern football now requires forwards to apply forward pressure..and in this side of the game Lynch is a babe in the woods.

He needs time to be taught this...and time to beef up his body (though will be interesting see what his body is like after another pre-season).

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:However modern football now requires forwards to apply forward pressure..and in this side of the game Lynch is a babe in the woods.
let's hope he's a quick study. we need a tallish half forward who can kick goals as well as tag.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

25-30 goals is a big ask. ROK was only kicking 20-30 per year before he got pulled into the midfield this year. Bob Murphy has only kicked 30 twice. If Lynch is called upon to play as a medium role, we'd probably be content with a goal per game as long as he's contributing in other areas. Groundballs, score assists, forward-50 tackles - those are the types of things we'll be looking for from our non-key forwards.

Yeah nah pleasing positive