raph

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Milton66
SS Life Member

BigMart wrote:Still rubbish.....

and people still going into bat for him......for what reason???.....strength through loyalty????......simple answer is, he cannot cut the mustard under the pump....

He was clearly our second worse in the GF......
Who was our wrst? And let's make him a whipping boy also.

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

As I said on another post, just watched the replay, Raph was better than Varcoe and Johnson, they we're the 2 worst players on the ground.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Don't get upset and make rash calls. We were right in it for most of the match this is a valuable confidence boost for us.

Self belief will have come from that game something that was lacking for the dogs game.

we need to sit down and work out how we can apply ourselves better not start rebuilding as half the posters seem to think is necessary.

Geelong will loose another couple of fringe, depth players and the dogs are another year older.

We have Armo , Steven, Eddy and Geary all waiting in the background.

Trying raph forward could work but tweaking what we have or topping up is all we need. Don't panic.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

3rd generation saint wrote:As I said on another post, just watched the replay, Raph was better than Varcoe and Johnson, they we're the 2 worst players on the ground.
I'd add Harley to that list !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

Eastern wrote:
3rd generation saint wrote:As I said on another post, just watched the replay, Raph was better than Varcoe and Johnson, they we're the 2 worst players on the ground.
Definitely. He won't be there next year. I expect to hear an announcement on his retirement in the next few days. He is just enjoying the premiership with his team prior to making his annoucement.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

saint75 wrote:
Eastern wrote:
Definitely. He won't be there next year. I expect to hear an announcement on his retirement in the next few days. He is just enjoying the premiership with his team prior to making his annoucement.
He's already on the West Sydney advisory board !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

Eastern wrote:
saint75 wrote:
Eastern wrote:
He's already on the West Sydney advisory board !!
Really? That is interesting. I knew he was retiring but didn't realise he had already taken a post elsewhere.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

There is a reason some people are whipping boys.....

degruch
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:There is a reason some people are whipping boys.....
...yes, those boys have been very bad and someone needs to punish them. :?

Solar
Saintsational Legend

apart from the mistake in the first quarter, what else did he do wrong? he was not suited for the match up he had and ross was not flexible enough to place him into a position to use their running ability. Got stuck playing as a small defender......

as has been said, there were alot higher ranked players from both sides who struggled more :roll:

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Solar wrote:
apart from the mistake in the first quarter, what else did he do wrong? he was not suited for the match up he had and ross was not flexible enough to place him into a position to use their running ability. Got stuck playing as a small defender......

as has been said, there were alot higher ranked players from both sides who struggled more :roll:
Spot on Solar... & the huge mistake was mainly a communication mix between Raph & Chips... Raph thought Sam was going to shepherd & Sam had peeled off to receive the handball. Hardly the hanging offence that the Raph haters have claimed.

I still think he is a very good player being played out of position. He played an absolute blinder last year from memory when he played on a wing & across half forward.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

Animal Enclosure wrote:
Solar wrote:

Spot on Solar... & the huge mistake was mainly a communication mix between Raph & Chips... Raph thought Sam was going to shepherd & Sam had peeled off to receive the handball. Hardly the hanging offence that the Raph haters have claimed.

I still think he is a very good player being played out of position. He played an absolute blinder last year from memory when he played on a wing & across half forward.
you know what hurt us more, not that situation, it was schneids, milne, mini all running into open goals and missing.......

nah lets flog raph.....

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

couple of observations about raph, who, i agree was beaten by a quicker opponent.

1) we might not have made the grand final at all if not for his final quarter against the bulldogs in the prelim.

2) he's being played out of position. as i've said before, he is not, and never will be, a close-checking defender. i'd play him as either a tall onballer, winger or half forward.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote: he's being played out of position. as i've said before, he is not, and never will be, a close-checking defender. i'd play him as either a tall onballer, winger or half forward.
this

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
aussiejones
Club Player

Coach and selectors have perceptions of players position and individuals attributes.... sometimes these work against the team.

" he's being played out of position. as i've said before, he is not, and never will be, a close-checking defender. i'd play him as either a tall onballer, winger or half forward."

Wonder if RL is thinking about this ....

Ross has had Milne play further up the ground in 2009......ok he has increased his tackle count but decreased his goal scoring....

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Kingy had 48% game time and 5 kicks.
Dempster had 64% game time, 2 kicks, 3 hand balls.
Raph had similar game time and 13 possessions. How come everyone isnt jumping all over Dempster instead of Raph? I dont understand you people.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

you could clearly see chips talking to him
he then gets pinged

either he didnt hear him
or ignored it

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

matrixcutter wrote:you could clearly see chips talking to him
he then gets pinged

either he didnt hear him
or ignored it
"talking to him" is not the phrase I'd use.

The fact is the game is so fast today that players don't have the time to hear much at all. You can't "talk", you must "scream", and I don't think Saints players do enough of that.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
matrix
Saintsational Legend

all ya gotta say is "hot! hot! hot!"

christ it works in B grade country footy ffs

Jewellzy
Club Player

Actually saying "hot hot!" is generally frowned upon these days, as it can lead to an opposition player screaming it when he has absolutely no chance of catching you.

The Phoenix Suns and St.Kilda Saints should have at least 5 championships between them since their sudden surge to elite status in 2004.

Actual championships: 0
westy
Club Player

Does anybody take a look at the absolute crapola on the facebook pages? The club posted an apology for missing X-Man's birthday and the thing degenerated into bagging Raph session! Some of those idiots should be following Richmond, the masters of implosion. I can think of a number of occasions throughout the year when Raph got us out of trouble, particularly against the Dogs a couple of weeks ago.

I'm livin' in a madhouse
Beej
Saintsational Legend

Jewellzy wrote:Actually saying "hot hot!" is generally frowned upon these days, as it can lead to an opposition player screaming it when he has absolutely no chance of catching you.
Wow. :shock: Regardless of whether it's "hot", "man on", "hurry the fk up!", opposition players can scream anything to resemble a teammate.

Until players master the art of mental telepathy, "hot" will have to suffice and it's up to the player to distinguish between his teammate, whose voice he would be pretty familiar with considering he's heard it for years during training, and an opposition player's voice.

Believe me, you notice pretty quickly when a foreign voice is trying to give you instructions.

I reckon the pressure of the occasion got to Raph and he just couldn't hear whatever Chips was trying to tell him. Those who have played competitive team sport will understand how much more difficult it can be to "listen" to a teammate when under the pump. If you're overcome by enormous pressure it's easy for the brain to block everything out.
Last edited by Beej on Thu 01 Oct 2009 12:45pm, edited 1 time in total.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Raph should not be bagged after the grand final effort, he made a couple of clangers unfortunately, but did reasonably OK for the rest of the match and although he sometimes seems out of his depth, he is obviously talented, but a slow developer like Goddard and will only get better. You want a couple of whipping boys for the loss..try experienced players like Milne, and Kosi in a non-performing forward line that had the ball pumped into it so much that granny could have kicked a couple of goals...McQualter is still developing and I'll let him off the hook, and Schneider actually got his hands on the ball, and had he have kicked another goal, he would have done as well as Chappy.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

Jewellzy wrote:Actually saying "hot hot!" is generally frowned upon these days, as it can lead to an opposition player screaming it when he has absolutely no chance of catching you.
chips was right beside him saying something
for all we know the crowd roar mighta drowned it out
s*** happens
one holding the ball decision
its not like it cost us a flag ffs
raph on the wing, get that huge stride of his going
could easily kick goals from the 50

Ackland St. Blues
Club Player

Byrnes destroyed Clarke in the last quarter and was an instrumental part in bring premiership glory to the Cats.

God, everyone knows that Byrnes has no right boot but Clarke got turned inside out three times! Seriously dumb footballer.