GODDARD

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintjake
Club Player

GODDARD

can i just say, i love this bloke,
easily our second most important player - behind ROO
he does everything!
back, mid, foward.
reminds me slightly of a younger buckley, with his kicking and bigger body.
he has come along way from the sulking carlton boy who got drafted to the aweful saints :lol:
now he bleeds for the club,
even plays with broken collar bones :D

matrix
Saintsational Legend

dead wood
soft at the footy
trade him
him and bally in one pot should get us a doozy of a player

and i very much doubt that collarbone was clean broken thru
seeing as u cant move your shoulder or arm with a busted collar

saintjake
Club Player

matrixcutter wrote:dead wood
soft at the footy
trade him
him and bally in one pot should get us a doozy of a player

and i very much doubt that collarbone was clean broken thru
seeing as u cant move your shoulder or arm with a busted collar
please tell me you are pulling my leg :?

matrix
Saintsational Legend

well of course
8-)

mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

Time for him to work a bit on speed now IMO and will be complete package... At times looks bit sluggish I love him though gun player... Should be an AA for a long time but needs to use his kick a bit more IMO kicking sideways to Dawson or Baker when you have a kick 60m pin point must be used more.

Is extremely Buckley esque and is still improving go u good thing BJ where will improvement come from the saints? McEvoy, Armo, Geary, Eddy and then BJ to step up to be truely elite, Dawson to get better, Dal took a huge step this year but I still feel he can be truely great and improve.

GO U SAINTS

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Put him up forward NOW. I also see a lot of Buckley in him, but, given that he's 2 inches+ taller than him, I also see him playing the role Hird played (mainly forward, but with a lisence to roam wherever he saw fit). Given how many inside 50's we had on the weekend, it's hard to see us losing if he'd spent most of the day in the forward line. He'd could dominate up forward at least as much as S Johnson does. I also see a lot of Carey in him (the way he plays, not the drug taking and infidelity, etc.).
Lets not forget, he's the same height as Plugger, 2 inches taller than Brereton and G Ablett Senior, an inch taller than Dunstall and Hird and just a centimetre shorter than Roo, Carey and Chris Grant. He's the "tall forward" we need. Get someone else doing his current job, even Dal. It would be worth it.
Hopefully if we're trying to get Everitt, it's to free Goddard up to go forward. Putting X in his spot could also do that.
Last edited by AnythingsPossibleSaints on Fri 02 Oct 2009 11:54am, edited 4 times in total.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:Put him up forward NOW. I also see a lot of Buckley in him, but, given that he's 2 inches+ taller than him, I also see him playing the role Hird played. Given how many inside 50's we had on the weekend, it's hard to see us losing if he'd spent most of the day in the forward line. He'd could dominate up forward at least as much as S Johnson does.
Lets not forget, he's the same height as Plugger, 2 inches taller than Brereton and G Ablett Senior, an inch taller than Dunstall and Hird and just a centimetre shorter than Roo, Carey and Chris Grant. He's the "tall forward" we need. Get someone else doing his current job, even Dal. It would be worth it.
Call me crazy, but i still think Raph should be the one to take over his midfield duty's....He does look out of sorts at times in the backline, but get Raph on the wing and i think we might have a goer

saintjake
Club Player

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:Put him up forward NOW. I also see a lot of Buckley in him, but, given that he's 2 inches+ taller than him, I also see him playing the role Hird played. Given how many inside 50's we had on the weekend, it's hard to see us losing if he'd spent most of the day in the forward line. He'd could dominate up forward at least as much as S Johnson does.
WOW!
im on your train right now, its not like we are lacking in options for his possie down back, even dawson could play it, if goose can come back in.
i love the Goddard.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:Put him up forward NOW. I also see a lot of Buckley in him, but, given that he's 2 inches+ taller than him, I also see him playing the role Hird played.
agree. players such as maybe raph or gilbert need to step up to cover what he does in the midfield.

saintjake
Club Player

#1GILL wrote:
Call me crazy, but i still think Raph should be the one to take over his midfield duty's....He does look out of sorts at times in the backline, but get Raph on the wing and i think we might have a goer
i agree with this one to, raph is a very smooth mover, and suprisingly has some speed, get him out into the open, where he can run and he could be dangerous.

west57
Club Player

From memory I think Goddard played most of his schoolboy footy as a forward so that is his most comfortable and natural position. When he first got to the club, they tried to play him back and he's taken some time to adjust to that role.....would be nice to see him come full circle and become that goalkicking mid we are crying out for.

#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

Plus he is so mobile for his size. Not to mention how good his 'footy smarts' are.

With him playing fwd it could really work well with Roo and Kosi. He can take a mark, but he is not shot when the ball hits the ground either. He is smart enough to create space for the bigger two, and not run into them when they attemp a mark.

Goddard Kosi Roo has alot more potential than Gerhig Kosi Roo ever did as Goddard is MUCH more mobile than the G-train was.

If Ross can find a solution for his depature in the backling/midfield i would love to see him play as a full time forward.

And in any case, he can push up the ground, like Roo does when need be. This could be used to leave Kosi in a paddock.

Roo- 60 Goals
Kosi-50 goals
Goddard- 40 Goals

I would be happy with that at the end of the season. With goddard playing 70% game time fwd, and 30% in the middle

chook23
Saintsational Legend

west57 wrote:From memory I think Goddard played most of his schoolboy footy as a forward so that is his most comfortable and natural position. When he first got to the club, they tried to play him back and he's taken some time to adjust to that role.....would be nice to see him come full circle and become that goalkicking mid we are crying out for.
on baller/wing as junior

saint4life
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

west57 wrote:When he first got to the club, they tried to play him back and he's taken some time to adjust to that role.....
I'd say the only reason they did that was because we had the likes of Rooey, Gehrig, Kosi, Hamill, Milne and maybe even Loewe in the forward line at the time. Had there been room I suspect he would have played there from the get-go. As I've said before, I'd have put him in Hamill's spot as soon as Sammy started missing games with injury. He seemed the absolutely ideal replacement.
Had he gone to Carlton initially, I reckon there's every chance he would have been playing at CHF for the past few years with them. Given that they might also not have gotten Judd, had BJ been there, there's also a good chance he'd be captain of their club, as well.

west57
Club Player

Wasn't Goddard a Carlton supporter as a kid??????

flyingwhale18
Club Player

Goddard is an absolute champion, love this guy. still think a mark he took back in 04? maybe? was one of the best marks ive seen, only got like, #6 on the mark of the year list, hit his facial expression was awesome. haha

really beleive he will take his game to the next step, pummelling balls down our forwards throats (that sounds bad after i wrote it).
Would LOVE to see Bj slot some more running goals, he is such a better kick in the heat of play than set shots imo.

Could he be a future captain?
i think so

team: oh when the saints!
milne: oh when the saints...
team: go marching in!
milne: GO MARCHING IN!
spert
Saintsational Legend

I want him on a wing in 2010

mick13
Club Player

Chucked a 5a on him at the start of the season for the Charlie. Woulda got me $2500 haha.

So he didnt get very close, but damn he stepped up and became one of our better players, which I knew he would do.

Just a shame he's a similar age to Rooey cos I'm sure he'd be leading the club otherwise.

mbogo
SS Hall of Fame

Yep - he is a deadset legend - just such a pity that he was taken out of the last half of the GF by his own suicidal and selfless play ....
He was exactly the player we needed up forward in the last qtr - but with a broken collarbone - what can you say?
:shock:

This is a team game and there is no room for individuals who think they are above walking through the fire.
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

He's already "captain" of the backline and captaining the rest of the team wouldn't be that much of a stretch for him. He's been "marshalling the troops" for years.

Duggie
Club Player

west57 wrote:Wasn't Goddard a Carlton supporter as a kid??????
Yes he was and so was his family who were disappointed when we grabbed him.
But who remembers when he was bagged loud and long by several on this forum who were too blind to see the future champion in him ? :lol:

A Saint Forever!
Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Heard from a really good source today that BJ will be 3-4 weeks off full movement again and totally fired up for the pre-season and 2010.

Dedicated and incredibly passionate Saints man is our BJ, says my source.

:D

Moods
Saintsational Legend

BJ getting injured in the GF may well have cost us. I know he came back on, but wasn't the same player. Thought just prior to getting injured he was getting a taste for what he was doing out there and was about to rip the game apart.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:BJ getting injured in the GF may well have cost us. I know he came back on, but wasn't the same player. Thought just prior to getting injured he was getting a taste for what he was doing out there and was about to rip the game apart.
it's another of those damned "what ifs". forced myself to watch the first three quarters last night and bj's composure was important early.

no doubt he'd make a difference as that third tall, but you would miss a lot around the ground. perhaps it is time to punt on a kid like lynch and hope that he's a quick learner.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Funny you say that Big Carl - I watched the replay last night right up until Chappy kicked 'that' goal. I couldn't bear to watch the last 3 minutes.

You don't appreciate it whilst at the ground I reckon as you're just immersed in the game. But watching it last night I couldn't get over how both teams were literally just throwing themselves in especially in that last 1/4. Was as brutal a game of footy in terms of contest after contest as I've ever seen.

I'm surprised that only BJ emerged with the broken bone.