The window may not be as big as we think!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

Winmarvellous wrote:Brisbane and Geelong are 2 of the best teams of all-time. WC and Sydney did so due as much to others (us included) falling over as their talent. It's a bloody hard ask, especially when we've been at least top 4 for 4 of the last 6 years. That's a long time to be knocking on the door. It'll take something special to do it again.
Keep knocking until someone opens the door and if no one is home break the thing down

Another opportunity awaits!
spert
Saintsational Legend

Our window is there for two more years I believe, then there will be a lull while we rebuild when a few of our senior players retire -some players will need to move to new positions to balance the team better
Here's my team makeup for 2010/ 11 presuming the older players all remain for two more seasons:
B: Kosi Zac Bakes
HB: Fisher Blake Gilbert
C: Goddard Armo Geary
HF: Hayes Roo NDS
F: Ball Gwilt McEvoy
Rucks: Gards, Steven, Schneider
Int: Ray, Lynch, Raph, McQualter
Emerg: ???

Why this team? NDS has proved beyond doubt that he hasn't got the motor to go 4 quarters in the midfield, Lenny won't have the motor as much, but both would be great in the forward line. Gwilt is strong and skilled enough to be a small full forward, Kosi in the forward line won't work any more and there a few tall forwards coming into the comp that we need a good strong mark in defence. Armo should be the natural successor to Lenny, Ball will provide strong work near the goals and be able to slot goals within 40 mtrs. McEvoy could have a big year in 2010 -I would have played him in the GF instead of King.

There ya go

Beej
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:Lenny won't have the motor as much
An athlete's endurance is at its highest peak between the age of 30 and 37.

He may get a little slower at 31+ but he'll still be able to run out games without a problem.

Lenny's got two more years of his best football ahead of him IMO.

spert
Saintsational Legend

OLB wrote:
spert wrote:Lenny won't have the motor as much
An athlete's endurance is at its highest peak between the age of 30 and 37.

He may get a little slower at 31+ but he'll still be able to run out games without a problem.

Lenny's got two more years of his best football ahead of him IMO.
Can't quite agree about Lenny, as his style is tough and hard, and athletes can't maintain that smash and bash style into their 30's while still retaining speed and sprint ability -maybe in some sports yes, but I think he ran out of puff late in the GF, and that's where you have to have the extra gear against younger faster opponents. I thnk he would have a great couple of years on the half forward line and solve one problem there, especially as we have a couple of young midfielders in the wings.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

I think there's an assumption here that Lendog is quick.

Not so sure he really is TBH...

Can't lose what you don't have.

Len for the B'Low in '10

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
cowboy18
Saintsational Legend

Re: The window may not be as big as we think!

SydneySainter wrote:As I said, I agree that we are still a chance for redemption, but we may only have one more crack. The club has been taught valuable football lessons in the past, it's important to learn from them.
If that. One thing I remember bitterly from 1997 is the feeling that we were on the crest of some sort of dynasty. It provided cold comfort then.

If nothing else, the weekend hammered home that we need to take every opportunity. We never know when the next one would come.

The rest of us just have to EES.

aussiejones
Club Player

"Kosi in the forward line won't work any more "

Is an enigma.....often missing when we need him

Ross certainly has a job ahead of him.

Milton66
SS Life Member

Winmarvellous wrote:Brisbane and Geelong are 2 of the best teams of all-time. WC and Sydney did so due as much to others (us included) falling over as their talent. It's a bloody hard ask, especially when we've been at least top 4 for 4 of the last 6 years. That's a long time to be knocking on the door. It'll take something special to do it again.
In the end, all you can do is keep presenting.

I'd argue that the 04-06 team was vastly different to the on ethat played on Saturday. Had we had the same players, then I'd agree with you.

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
gringo
Saintsational Legend

I watched Sydney west coast GF on One HD and you underestimate how good Sydney were. They were systematic like the saints- more emphasis was on adhering to their game plan.

West coast had an amazing team but tended to blaze away and play risky shots on goal. It works when everything goes right, but can end in disaster like it did the year before for WC.

saints play the same set up slowly through possession football -it works really well until some other team takes a chance and it comes off- like Chapmans kicks over the shoulder facing away from goal. Low percentage but came off.

The way the saints play gives you a role so that if nothing is going right on any given day the player knows he is still contributing the way expected, this gives confidence back to a player.

Getting over a Prelim is a major psychological breakthrough for the playing group and teams that have made a grand final find it easier to get back there historically.

we have a good list of young guys to come in over the next couple of years Armo and Steven were expected to break through this year but were kept out by the good form of the rest of the team.

Lenny will get rotated with someone like armo over the next few years to preserve his body IMO.