we should keep milne

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Milton66
SS Life Member

ace wrote:Milne is required player.
You don't win a grand final if you don't play in it.
Milne will help us get there.

Weather conditions hurt many players in this game.
They were unusual for a Grand Final.
They affected many of our forwards.
Clean one grab marking and ball handling were greatly affected.
The conditions didn't affect Chapman.

Once again... giving one's best and one's best neing good enough to win a flag are 2 seperate issues.

And frankly, there's no point getting there if you can't win it.

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Maybe two different arguments here, should Milne have been dropped on his form from the last month of footy?

Milton66
SS Life Member

Thinline wrote:Rightly or wrongly I'm starting to feel decidedly uncomfortable at the Milne-potting going on.

I know there's opinion entitlements and all that, but seriously, the guy would be devastated enough wouldn't he without knowing that half the St Kilda fan base wants him packed off to a retirement home...

Cruel old biz, I guess, but F***, the bloke's scoring ability did go a long way to getting us a minor premiership. Perhaps a little bit of reflection/perspective before tyhe noose is hung?
I'm happy to start a thread on all players who will be under scrutiny, if that makes you feel better.

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
saint75
SS Hall of Fame

Milne was playing well up until he injured his knee. He just never seemed to recover the form he showed prior. Would be interested to find out if the knee has been troubling him before I made a call on this one.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

perhaps he gets a bad case of the yips when finals football comes around?

a good sports psychologist may be what he needs.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Schillaci
Club Player

Milne may be looked at as trade bait but I hope we keep him.
He regularly kicks 1-3 goals a game and along with Roo, Kosi and Schneider gives us some serious potency in front of the sticks.

The best teams this year have a number of quality mids/smalls in their fwd lines.

Geel...Stokes, Byrnes, Varcoe...
WB...Aker, Johnson, Higgins...
Coll...Didak, Davis, Dick, Medhurst...

Milne kicked 46 goals this year, which is more than anyone above...14th leading goalkicker this year. This follows his 60 goals last year.

If we trade him, who/what for? Odds are.... if we trade him we lose.

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

The other thing one must remember, and as stated here, Milne is almost 30, that in itself will make it difficult to trade him for someone of equal value.
Personally, I'd keep him, take is input out of the team this year and we wouldn't have even played on Saturday.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
PJ
SS Life Member

Let's get our priorities right here - who's going to lead the club song after the game??? :lol:

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
reincarnated

Milton66 wrote:
ace wrote:Milne is required player.
You don't win a grand final if you don't play in it.
Milne will help us get there.

Weather conditions hurt many players in this game.
They were unusual for a Grand Final.
They affected many of our forwards.
Clean one grab marking and ball handling were greatly affected.
The conditions didn't affect Chapman.

Once again... giving one's best and one's best neing good enough to win a flag are 2 seperate issues.

And frankly, there's no point getting there if you can't win it.
Chapman is a better player than Milne - that is why the conditions did affect one and not the other.

The onus is on Milne to look at how it did not go to plan this finals series and look for ways to improve.

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

It's funny, Milne kicks those two set shots and we wouldn't be talking about him like this.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
bozza1980
Club Player

Milton66 wrote:Am I typing ina foreign language or something?

No one is questioning his efforts, loyalty or commitment.

BUT...

If you can't clinically asses each player and their future after losing a GF, then you need to get a clue.

IMO, he has peaked as a player, and you'll have to llok at the future. For all I know, hey'll keep him.
I think we should keep him.

That said you are right, the club isn't doing their job if they don't seriously review his and other players' positions on the list.

Gurgman
Club Player

Milton66 wrote:Am I typing ina foreign language or something?

No one is questioning his efforts, loyalty or commitment.

BUT...

If you can't clinically asses each player and their future after losing a GF, then you need to get a clue.

IMO, he has peaked as a player, and you'll have to llok at the future. For all I know, hey'll keep him.
Your pretty much on the mark here Milton , He isnt going to get any better and neither are a few others , so some sit back and say we were unlucky , id say Class prevailed and we got found out a bit .

And i thought this was a forum
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Not worth trading his age is against him we would get a 4th or maybe a 3rd rounder for him for that price he's not worth trading him.

milney044
Club Player

This is the first time i've been here since the Grand Final - didn't think i'd be able to come back but here i am.
After Saturday i was just as gutted as any other Sainter. And even i'll admit i was disappointed with Milne's game. It felt like a kick in the face after all i'd done was stick up for him and call Grant Thomas a moron. I took his performance a little personally i guess you could say. But when you see Lenny crying on his coaches' shoulders and the boys on their knees it puts things into perspective. No matter how the loss makes me feel, i know they are feeling so much worse. Had Milney's couple of misses gone through as goals it might have been different..just like if Scnheider's, McQualter's or Dempster's had. The facts are they didn't and that's how it goes.
It sucks that these boys have to live with that, but that's sport. Mooney went through it last year and i hope like Mooney the boys get another go at it next year.
If the board decide Milne's time is up, i understand that. He's 30 and has under achieved in finals, not that i know where 40 odd goals are going to come from. Trying to look at it through a coach's perspective and not a huge Milne fan's, i wouldn't trade him because at 30 and a small forward, his value is not great. I wouldn't de-list him because he's a veteran and i'm guessing but i wouldn't think he'd be on much anyway. He's still in our best 22 and if that's not the case next year he'd still be pretty decent back up.
And now from a purely fan based perspective i plead that he stick around for another year 'cause, like Max, i don't think i could take another favourite leaving the club without a proper goodbye.

Destiny. It's in our hands.

Harder. Better. Faster. Stronger.