The Shopping List – St Kilda Football Club 2009-2010

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

OLB wrote:
flyingwhale18 wrote:Get him in the gym and going the track, put on a bit of muscle and boost fitness and Lynch will play a part in the 2010 season as a 3rd forward.
It takes years for footballers to develop their bodies.

It's extremely difficult for anyone not on steroids to gain more than 6 kgs of 'lean muscle' in 12 months apparently.

Two, more likely three more pre-seasons and he'll be reaching somewhere near his ideal playing size.

If he's going to feature next season it's going to be through ability alone. I haven't seen that much of him so I can't comment on whether he's good enough at the moment.

Ryan O'Keefe, who he's being compared to, was drafted in 99 and had his true breakout season in 04. It can take time.
12 months? No he could easily put on 8 or so kg's in 12 months if he seriously hit the gym you lose a fair but of cardio but I think it would be worth ir for him.

I put on 10 kg's since last november of muscle for football and there was definately no steroids used.... With his physique he should fill out nicely.

Bardon Saint
Club Player

Fwd:I think that Knight and gamble fit the player type we require up forward. Knights has shown big things and is still developing. I feel that Gamble has done nothing wrong at the cats yet can't get a spot. He often kicks goals and is a great mark for his size.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

mightysainters wrote:
OLB wrote:
flyingwhale18 wrote:Get him in the gym and going the track, put on a bit of muscle and boost fitness and Lynch will play a part in the 2010 season as a 3rd forward.

It's extremely difficult for anyone not on steroids to gain more than 6 kgs of 'lean muscle' in 12 months apparently.

Two, more likely three more pre-seasons and he'll be reaching somewhere near his ideal playing size.

If he's going to feature next season it's going to be through ability alone. I haven't seen that much of him so I can't comment on whether he's good enough at the moment.

Ryan O'Keefe, who he's being compared to, was drafted in 99 and had his true breakout season in 04. It can take time.
12 months? No he could easily put on 8 or so kg's in 12 months if he seriously hit the gym you lose a fair but of cardio but I think it would be worth ir for him.

I put on 10 kg's since last november of muscle for football and there was definately no steroids used.... With his physique he should fill out nicely.
That's the thing. The role calls for a strong body with elite level endurance. It has to be someone who can run explosively all dayand tackle their freckle off.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

Yer it is extremely hard to keep your elite endurance when you're putting on kg's as it's like carrying weight plate on you whilst running.

But in 2 years or so he should have got it right this year he would have been having a go and next year he will continue with it.

But some people naturally have an extremely good engine and hopefully lynch is one with his base of fitness and overall cardio whilst putting on muscle if he incorporates the cardio you should still see an impressive gain of strength and muscle.

An example of this is BJ who really stacked on the muscle and whilst may not have been elite endurance he still kept a good base.

lefty
Club Player

mark coghlan? (spelling..)

saints11
Club Player

lefty wrote:mark coghlan? (spelling..)
Injury Prone

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Look, it's all well to speculate who we would like, the trouble is actually getting them and at least breaking even with the deal.
I mean if you want to trade Milne, than you need to trade him for someone who is going to be able to supply you with 40+ goals a year and is younger.
No club will do that.
We need to trade smart, and at low a cost as possible, just like we did to get Ray, Schneider and Dempster.
I'm sure Ross and co will be doing exactly that, they will be looking for players who have the potential to give St.Kilda 100 games and will add to our depth.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
Beej
Saintsational Legend

mightysainters wrote:
OLB wrote:

That 10kgs you put on wouldn't be just "lean muscle". A decent percentage of that would be water weight and fat.

It's physiologically impossible (without drugs) to build 10 kgs of lean muscle over the course of the year.

mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

well i'm the same body fat I was so yes it's muscle and some water weight (creatine) obviously if you put on muscle though some is fat with it as thta would account for the same body fat.

If you wanted to get technical I could go into it but won't because that's not what it was about we were talking about weight and it is not physiologically impossible at all :lol:

We're talking about what it says on the scales and Lynch could put it on he is a professional athelete i'm not and I did it.. He would have nutritionists and etc... I play football so was getting a good amount of cardio in also (not as much as him).

Goddard put on over 6 or 7 in the off season so in a few months some people can do it...

Beej
Saintsational Legend

mightysainters wrote:well i'm the same body fat I was so yes it's muscle and some water weight (creatine) obviously if you put on muscle though some is fat with it as thta would account for the same body fat.

If you wanted to get technical I could go into it but won't because that's not what it was about we were talking about weight and it is not physiologically impossible at all :lol:

We're talking about what it says on the scales and Lynch could put it on he is a professional athelete i'm not and I did it.. He would have nutritionists and etc... I play football so was getting a good amount of cardio in also (not as much as him).

Goddard put on over 6 or 7 in the off season so in a few months some people can do it...
Understand what I'm saying here, I'm talking about lean muscle, not fat. Lynch could put on 40 kgs in an off-season if he didn't look after himself. It wouldn't do him any good unless he played out of the goal-square and it was the year 1960.

A professional body builder on steroids would be stunned with 10kg's of lean muscle in a year.

Don't take my word for it, take the word of sports scientists around the world.
The Colgan Institute of Nutritional Sciences (located in San Diego, CA) run by Dr Michael Colgan PHD, a leading sport nutritionist explains that in his extensive experience, the most muscle gain he or any of his colleagues have recorded over a year was 18 1/4 lbs. Dr Colgan goes on to state that "because of the limiting rate of turnover in the muscle cells it is impossible to grow more than an ounce of new muscle each day."
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/maki2.htm

18 1/4 lbs = around 8 kgs. And believe me, that is an exceptional year in the gym with a perfect diet working with leading nutrition experts.

Professional juiced up bodybuilders gain around 20 kgs of muscle throughout an entire CAREER. Muscle gain starts off quickly and then slows down to a crawl.

There are heaps of articles online for you to do some research if you wanted to learn more.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

I note B Lake is still holding out.

Think of the possibilities there.

Ball retires along with other retirees. Money freed.

A genuine pinch hitter up forward and a pure full back who can release Dawson, Fisher and Gilbert at various times.

Purest hypothetical of course.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:I note B Lake is still holding out.

Think of the possibilities there.

Ball retires along with other retirees. Money freed.

A genuine pinch hitter up forward and a pure full back who can release Dawson, Fisher and Gilbert at various times.

Purest hypothetical of course.
Not sure that's where we need to spend the money?

Royston
Club Player

Straight swap: Ball for Salopak from PA.....

mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

OLB wrote:
mightysainters wrote:
OLB wrote:

That 10kgs you put on wouldn't be just "lean muscle". A decent percentage of that would be water weight and fat.

It's physiologically impossible (without drugs) to build 10 kgs of lean muscle over the course of the year.
I won't continue this... but how about Goddard he put on 20kg's in about 2 or 3 years... explain that we're talking about on the scales which of course is alot of muscle because footballers are always fit (somne excluded) but Goddard is a prime example of good nutrition and an extreme amount of weights.

Do you understand Goddard did it it may not be pure lean muscle but alot of it was and you could tell by his physique... That's all Lynch needs to do...

Beej
Saintsational Legend

mightysainters wrote:
OLB wrote:
mightysainters wrote:
OLB wrote:

I won't continue this... but how about Goddard he put on 20kg's in about 2 or 3 years... explain that we're talking about on the scales which of course is alot of muscle because footballers are always fit (somne excluded) but Goddard is a prime example of good nutrition and an extreme amount of weights.

Do you understand Goddard did it it may not be pure lean muscle but alot of it was and you could tell by his physique... That's all Lynch needs to do...
Goddard was drafted at 82kg. He's now listed at 92kg.

It's taken him 7 years to pack on 10 kgs but yeah, he looks like he gained most of that over the last 2-3 years, most of it probably the year he was out with his knee as he would've been in the gym constantly.

I think during the season the guys have one gym session a week. During the off-season (4 months) is when most of the work is done.
Last edited by Beej on Tue 29 Sep 2009 5:07pm, edited 1 time in total.

mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

He weighs more than 92... he did get up to about 98kg's fact is when he we out and had that big pre season he stacked on 8kg's at least... everyone noticed the difference...

Beej
Saintsational Legend

mightysainters wrote:He weighs more than 92... he did get up to about 98kg's fact is when he we out and had that big pre season he stacked on 8kg's at least... everyone noticed the difference...
Matt Maguire was a lot bigger 2003/2004 than he is now. I remember reading something about him back then being extremely proud that he reached 100kgs.

He's lost a lot of weight since then and is now around 94.

Not sure of BJ ever being 98!!

2kgs of muscle added onto the body is EXTREMELY noticeable. Impossible to miss.

Beej
Saintsational Legend

Bradshaw and Tredrea are around the 97 mark.

I doubt BJ's ever reached 98.

Royston
Club Player

Both Maguire & BJ both bulked up quite a bit...if you remember back, this was when the Lions were big and strong and GT tried to emulate their style of play.....however I think he read the landscape incorrectly and the style of game changed to a more posession and running game.

Something that put the Saints behind a few other clubs (a story for another day though...)

That is why BJ and MM have fined down. Also think MM wanted to remove as much excess weight to aid recovery

matrix
Saintsational Legend

so bally is now on the trade list for some huh?

if he wanted to go then abide by his wishes
i dont think he will want to go.

but this under 50% game time has me thinking somethings up

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

A few of these threads starting to bob up so I thought I'd bump mine up again. 8-)

We've heard some conflicting stories coming out of the club with President Westaway stating securing another tall forward was the clubs main priority in the up-coming exchange period (http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,865 ... 11,00.html).

Recruiting manager Peake has mentioned we will not fall in the trap of taking success for granted and will still be looking for ways to improve the current team for next season. He also mentions that St Kilda will most likely target several players on a needs basis with selection 16 (as opposed to best available), which suggests we probably won't trade our first round pick.

We then have list manager Drain stating we will not be big players in trade week instead opting to take a few selections in the draft.

Coach Ross Lyon has suggested that Fevola is unlikely due to salary cap, however he didn't completely write it off - suggesting it was still on the table to be discussed.

From all this...I think you could take it we will most likely not be major players in trade week. However I believe we may only be using 2 or 3 at very most selections in the national draft so potentially we could throw our third and fourth round selections around as a bit of bait at no loss to us.

What I expect could happen.

OUT
Retire: M.Hudghton, J.Allen
Delist: L.Fisher, E.Connors, (L.Miles, B.Howard, K.Haretuku)

IN
Rookie Elevation: Z.Dawson
Trade: Brett Peake/Amon Buchanan (Selection 48)
Draft: Selection 16 + 32
Rookie Selections: 15 (Eljay Connors?) + 31 (Josh Duncan) + 47 (Ted Widner?)
Veteran: Lenny Hayes (+ Steven Baker if final rookie selection is not utilised)

The above doesn't really solve our need for another forward so perhaps we shouldn't rule out the possibility of a mature-age pick in the draft or PSD, perhaps at the expense of another player (Begley?).

saintly
Saintsational Legend

SaintBot wrote:A few of these threads starting to bob up so I thought I'd bump mine up again. 8-)

We've heard some conflicting stories coming out of the club with President Westaway stating securing another tall forward was the clubs main priority in the up-coming exchange period (http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,865 ... 11,00.html).

Recruiting manager Peake has mentioned we will not fall in the trap of taking success for granted and will still be looking for ways to improve the current team for next season. He also mentions that St Kilda will most likely target several players on a needs basis with selection 16 (as opposed to best available), which suggests we probably won't trade our first round pick.

We then have list manager Drain stating we will not be big players in trade week instead opting to take a few selections in the draft.

Coach Ross Lyon has suggested that Fevola is unlikely due to salary cap, however he didn't completely write it off - suggesting it was still on the table to be discussed.

From all this...I think you could take it we will most likely not be major players in trade week. However I believe we may only be using 2 or 3 at very most selections in the national draft so potentially we could throw our third and fourth round selections around as a bit of bait at no loss to us.

What I expect could happen.

OUT
Retire: M.Hudghton, J.Allen
Delist: L.Fisher, E.Connors, (L.Miles, B.Howard, K.Haretuku)

IN
Rookie Elevation: Z.Dawson
Trade: Brett Peake/Amon Buchanan (Selection 48)
Draft: Selection 16 + 32
Rookie Selections: 15 (Eljay Connors?) + 31 (Josh Duncan) + 47 (Ted Widner?)Veteran: Lenny Hayes (+ Steven Baker if final rookie selection is not utilised)

The above doesn't really solve our need for another forward so perhaps we shouldn't rule out the possibility of a mature-age pick in the draft or PSD, perhaps at the expense of another player (Begley?).
to put your scharship players onto the rookie list you do not need to use rookie list its a separate list or it is the last selection (not sure which)

our 1st pick for rookie list will not be 15 as GC17 has the first few.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

OLB wrote:Bradshaw and Tredrea are around the 97 mark.

I doubt BJ's ever reached 98.
i was a few rows from tredders in that horrible trial match at the start of the year
the guy is built like a brick s*** house

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

I think it's highly unlikely that we'll target anyone high profile in the "3rd tall forward" category, just 12 months after using our first round draft pick on Tom Lynch. At least not someone who would be playing the sort of role Lynch will be. He'll hopefully play that role for 10+ years for us.
BJ could easily play there next year (until Lynch is ready) and if he does we'll probably win the flag, if we have another good year with injuries.
I'd be happy to get Fev, but if not, I'd rather we went for someone highly skilled, to play Goddard's role across the middle, or half back. Although with X hopefully coming back and the continued development of Steven, Geary and Armo, we may not even need to get anyone else.
If the opportunity for a worthwhile trade or two come up, I hope we grab them, but if not we can make do with what we've got.
I would like to see us get someone with extreme speed and excellent kicking skills, though, as we really lack that, especially against the really quick sides. I'd give up a fair bit to get someone of "quality" with those attributes, especially if they have a habit of kicking goals.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
goodie
Club Player

Factoring in costs and salary, the only ones that interest me are Gamble and Pearce