Did Geelong have all the best players

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintrod
Club Player

Did Geelong have all the best players

I don't know if this is just me but one of a number of things that has annoyed me after the game is the blatant bias in player assessments and rewriting of history after the game . What I mean by that is that the cats player seemed to get way better comparative rankings than the saints player yet I must have been at the wrong game because I would have sworn that for about 31/2 Qtrs we were the better side. Walls is the worst at laying the boots in but by no means the only one.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

history shows that geelong beat st kilda.

That is all.

the courage of the saints on the day counts for nothing.

Goddard running on with a broken nose and damaged collarbone would have been up there with dermie in 89 was it? HAD WE WON.

no one cares about the losers.

NOBODY.

and as for as 15 other clubs and other casual observers, thats all we are to them.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Walls did one, Eade did the other. I suspect one marked hard and the other didn't.

Not that I give a s***.

We lost. I know what I saw. That's that.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

For a contest that had a milllion lead changes and the biggest margin all day just two goals, the Norm Smith voting was amazingly pro-Geelong

I genuinely think the Norm Smith judges make a conscious effort to ensure that the Medal goes to a member of the winning side. I dont actually have a problem with that..it just seemed weird that about 6 Geelong players to St Kilda's 2 got votes in such a tight game. Given the votes arent cast until after the game, seems pretty likely to me

I stress again, not sour grapes, just a thought

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Launcestonsaint
SS Life Member
Location: Watching our games on tele or listening to the radio :(

saint66au wrote:For a contest that had a milllion lead changes and the biggest margin all day just two goals, the Norm Smith voting was amazingly pro-Geelong

I genuinely think the Norm Smith judges make a conscious effort to ensure that the Medal goes to a member of the winning side. I dont actually have a problem with that..it just seemed weird that about 6 Geelong players to St Kilda's 2 got votes in such a tight game. Given the votes arent cast until after the game, seems pretty likely to me

I stress again, not sour grapes, just a thought
I thought the same. After reading the votes I thought we must have lost by 5-10 goals. We were beaten by a team that kicked straighter but we must have had several players that were ok during the game.

St Kilda's 2 premiership captains are Tassie born. The Doc & Roo.
Moods
Saintsational Legend

Funny talking with a geelong mate. He reckons that the cats players were either really good, or really poor, whereas he reckons the saints team was very even across th board. Pretty much sums up the two teams I reckon.

I agree with the OP though and was strangely annoyed with the ratings. If we'd played a little better in the last 5 minutes, does that mean that all of a sudden Zac did a wonderful job in keeping Mooney under control, or does that mean Mooney was still dangerous all day and Zac made some crucial errors??

Does Raph recover well and play a serviceable game after a shakey start.

AS for the Norm Smith. My understanding is that the votes are cast at the 20 minute mark of the last 1/4. Don't reckon many commentators would know the result at that stage in such a tight game. Was the big criticism of the NS in 02 when Buckley won it. Voss played out of his socks in the last 15 minutes after being great all game, to virtually win the lions the game, but the votes had already been cast.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

no

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Makes you wonder doesn't it:

The NS bodgily and prematurely adjudicated...

The Brownlow - the king of them all - gifted to midfielders at the behest of umpires who can't possibly have anything other than fleeting ideas about who is good or not...

Obvious posters undetected in - of all games - the GF...

Failure is rewarded - draft picks...

There's some really odd quirks in our game. Very bloody weird if you think too much about it...

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Bomber Thompson admitted tonight that Gram was giving them headaches all day, finding space and disposing of the ball very well....