Cousins

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

SainterK wrote:
saint75 wrote:
SainterK wrote:
saint75 wrote:Declining Cousins was one of the defining moments for our club this season. Ross' now infamous speech where he told the players that "if you have to rely on Ben Cousins to win a premiership, we are in more trouble than I thought" was one of the turning points for a lot of our players.

I was right behind the push for Cousins this time last year and was furious that we didn't draft him considering the gap between Geelong and us last year. To the coaching staff and the players credit, we are the best team (regardless of the GF result - we lost it, Geelong didn't win it).

We have other requirements that need to be met. We need youth, not a midfielder in his 30's. Plenty of other players going around that are of and have been of more value than what Ben Cousins would be. Can't believe after the season we have had that this was even mentioned. Ben Cousins would not have made one iota of difference yesterday and to imply he would is just sheer stupidity.
I think you need to give the players a bit more credit than that...
Not sure what you mean by this as I believe that to the players credit, they stepped it up 100% this year. The fact that we closed such a large and seemingly insurmountable gap between us and Geelong and Hawthorn is amazing work. I think Ross' speech was a bit of a wake up call and awoke them out of deep slumber. Every one of them has picked their game up by at least 20% compared to their performances last year.
Or maybe they would have anyway, not sure that BC was the wake up call.
BC not coming was not the point I was getting at. It was Ross' words to the group. They were not significant purely on their own, but I believe they were part of a contributing factor that lead to a belief and a determination that started during the pre season.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
joffaboy wrote:Apparently Harry Hindsight has never lost a game.

In hindsight - if Milne didn't grubber it off the ground - If Schneider or Mini or Dempster could kick the ball through an open goal - in hindsight if the spoil Zac made had of bounce off Scarletts foot to Kosi not Ablett we would have scored the winning goal - in hindsight if my aunt had balls....

wonderful coach and selector is Harry Hindsight.

Glad we didn't get Cousins. Everything this season may have been different if Cousins had of torn his hammy in R1 against Sydney.
Personally couldnt give a frk for "harry hindsight" myself - its nothing but bandwagoning for mine.

But Im also not so insecure that I cant have a view or discuss (without curling into a ball on the floor screaming "hindsight hindsight") that Cousins wouldve been useful to our side this year. Apparently thats not allowed on a football forum.

Tought titties for the hindisght crew I say...
Well F*** YOU AND YOUR NAME CALLING !!

I have received warnings for calling some farking loser that suggested the Tsonga was on drugs an idiot...

The mods are now in a more relaxed mode, its a pity that the rules are so flexible IMO depending on their mood IMO

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
My apologies I didnt realise "jam your hindisight" from your original dribble of a post was directed at me as a complement??

Allow me to return the "complement" - shove your clue up your @ss. :idea:
It was NOT A complement but also it was NOT in insult or name calling ...

Do you have any idea or a farking clue on the difference??

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:I dont buy in to them with insults.
Teflon to St Fid page 1 wrote: You'd have to be the slowest, dumbest fkr on this site I reckon.
:lol: Classic.

I would reckon this thread would be the laughing stock of opposition supporters at present.

But carry on if you wish. Pointless, but carry on.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

SENsaintsational wrote:
Teflon to St Fid page 1 wrote: You'd have to be the slowest, dumbest fkr on this site I reckon.

I would reckon this thread would be the laughing stock of opposition supporters at present.

yeah...

pointless exercise with the "hindsight" theory and also the personal insults directed towards me, and that teflon suggests that I personally insulted him... Really teflon, have you ever lived in the real world and understand life??

Yeah, Cousins would have been a great pick up :roll:

and CJ may not have played 24 matches this year and be our number 1 midfield tagger...

Teflon your unwarranted insults towards me have not been unnoticed and your lack of really being proactive and not reactive is also noticed ..

The Club is really proactive and if you really don't understand that, well you can keep your reactive bull to yourself or start being proactive and contact the Club with your brilliant thoughts, BEFORE IT FARKING HAPPENS!!!

:idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:

reincarnated

St Fidelius wrote:
SENsaintsational wrote:

yeah...

pointless exercise with the "hindsight" theory and also the personal insults directed towards me, and that teflon suggests that I personally insulted him... Really teflon, have you ever lived in the real world and understand life??

Yeah, Cousins would have been a great pick up :roll:

and CJ may not have played 24 matches this year and be our number 1 midfield tagger...

Teflon your unwarranted insults towards me have not been unnoticed and your lack of really being proactive and not reactive is also noticed ..

The Club is really proactive and if you really don't understand that, well you can keep your reactive bull to yourself or start being proactive and contact the Club with your brilliant thoughts, BEFORE IT FARKING HAPPENS!!!

:idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:
You really come across as dumb asking someone if they have ever "lived in the real world and understand life"

Ahhhhh...what?

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

reincarnated wrote:
You really come across as dumb asking someone if they have ever "lived in the real world and understand life"

Ahhhhh...what?
That maybe your opinion, and so be it reincarnated, and so be it...

This poster has insulted me after stating that he does not buy into insults ...

Again I have never insulted him...

Yes, the real world is far different from an Internet forum and some on here have not faced that world at all or for some time....

for myself, it's been 29 years in armed forces and police and believe me I know what the real world is about...

Again, to suggest that Cousins MAY be the factor that our Club MAYn have lost a Premiership is purely hindsight as some of our current midfielders may not have been given much game time during the season, a season that we lost just two games by a total of 7 points

I stand by the fact the the Club never pick Cousins and stand by the coach and it's Board on their decision

If you defer ,by all means, reply, without you self condescending, self promoting responses....

The Fact is that the Coach and Staff heve got this Club to a GF and should have won it, and we get some posters, after hindsight, say that maybe Cousins could have been the answer...

F*** ME!

Those that suggest this need some help and the posters that "in hindsight"have never suggested this during the season...

Yeah, one does wonder why and why Richmond is where it is and moving forward...

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

SENsaintsational wrote:

100% CORRECT!

it's almost been a year since we overlooked cousins and now people on here are going back to howling over it :oops:

FFS, GET OVER IT!

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Schillaci
Club Player

Was wondering how this thread got to 3 pages.
For what it's worth I thought Cousins was worth the risk but given we won 22/25, the kids we've got can do the job. Next year he's another year older with the same problems. Cousins is/was a great footballer...don't need him.

Milton66
SS Life Member

Whilst I think the whole BC issue is null and avoid, the OP has a right to express their views on this forum as much as anyone else.

I'm the poster who's qualified to pass moral judgement, but sheesh, can we just let it go so soon after a devastating loss?

People are angry, sure. So let's all take a deep breath and chill.

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Should we have the same bitch fight over why we let Ian Stewart go to Richmond or why we didn't try harder to keep Plugger happy?

Nothing will ever change by discussing crap like this, so why bother?

All it does is s***-stir grieving people...

Pointless.

That is my opinion - one I am entirely allowed to freely express.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

Thought all year that Cousins would be handy in the forwardline instead of Eddy and was thinking before the game how I wish we had him in there instead of Dempster,

BUT it's a pointless exercise, what's done is done,

if our small forwards Milne and Schnieder had of done what was expected of them and drilled the goals they'd normally kick 9.9 times out of 10, they like the rest of the team would now have premiership medallions and this discussion would not even be happening.

So pissed at those missed chances and having no luck with the fricken weather,

dry sunny day and we'd be premiers, of that I have no doubt.

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:
reincarnated wrote:

Ahhhhh...what?

Yes, the real world is far different from an Internet forum and some on here have not faced that world at all or for some time....

for myself, it's been 29 years in armed forces and police and believe me I know what the real world is about...

Again, to suggest that Cousins MAY be the factor that our Club MAYn have lost a Premiership is purely hindsight as some of our current midfielders may not have been given much game time during the season, a season that we lost just two games by a total of 7 points

I stand by the fact the the Club never pick Cousins and stand by the coach and it's Board on their decision

If you defer ,by all means, reply, without you self condescending, self promoting responses....

The Fact is that the Coach and Staff heve got this Club to a GF and should have won it, and we get some posters, after hindsight, say that maybe Cousins could have been the answer...

F*** ME!

Those that suggest this need some help and the posters that "in hindsight"have never suggested this during the season...

Spare me your moral high ground Captain indignation - nobody cares.

FACTS ARE you started with the insults. I replied. You ran to mommy. Ive noted this aint your first time and have seen your pathetic attacks on others ad nauseum - hence why you have received your warnings from mods. They are clearly warranted IMO.

IF I as a poster have a view that Ben Cousins wouldve been handy come GF day and you dont like that - lump it - I could care less. It was, is and will remain my view. Others think he wasnt worth the risk - fair enough thats their call. BUT NO ONE needs to come on to a thread telling people to "jam their hindsight" like YOU DID as some sad sack cut lunch commandoe you clearly are. - get over yourself.

Lets be clear - YOU trot out insults. Get some back and dont like it?...diddums petal...

We have untold posters suggesting we cant go back and change the fact we didnt take Cousins - no shyte. I haven't read anywhere in the thread where it states "LETS GO BACK NOW AND GET BEN"......thats not the discussion at all.

Sometimes a lot can be learned by looking at past decisions - for me its the bigger question of being prepared to take risks to win a GF. A decision at that time I felt we baulked cause we thought we couldnt "handle" Ben. We are a bigger, better club than Richmond and undersold our ability to deal with any Cousins dramas IMO.

As stated today in the papers - HAD St Kilda 1 additional quality mid (to help Hayes out when Bartel covered him) they MAY have been able to release Goddard to a HFF aka Paul Chapman and rotate him through there......

Anyway, I dont expect you to understand that - cause for you its not really bout talking footy - its all about "insults".....

“Yeah….nah””
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
St Fidelius wrote:
reincarnated wrote:

Ahhhhh...what?

F*** ME!

Spare me your moral high ground Captain indignation - nobody cares.

FACTS ARE you started with the insults. I replied. You ran to mommy. Ive noted this aint your first time and have seen your pathetic attacks on others ad nauseum - hence why you have received your warnings from mods. They are clearly warranted IMO.

IF I as a poster have a view that Ben Cousins wouldve been handy come GF day and you dont like that - lump it - I could care less. It was, is and will remain my view. Others think he wasnt worth the risk - fair enough thats their call. BUT NO ONE needs to come on to a thread telling people to "jam their hindsight" like YOU DID as some sad sack cut lunch commandoe you clearly are. - get over yourself.

Lets be clear - YOU trot out insults. Get some back and dont like it?...diddums petal...

We have untold posters suggesting we cant go back and change the fact we didnt take Cousins - no shyte. I haven't read anywhere in the thread where it states "LETS GO BACK NOW AND GET BEN"......thats not the discussion at all.

Sometimes a lot can be learned by looking at past decisions - for me its the bigger question of being prepared to take risks to win a GF. A decision at that time I felt we baulked cause we thought we couldnt "handle" Ben. We are a bigger, better club than Richmond and undersold our ability to deal with any Cousins dramas IMO.

As stated today in the papers - HAD St Kilda 1 additional quality mid (to help Hayes out when Bartel covered him) they MAY have been able to release Goddard to a HFF aka Paul Chapman and rotate him through there......

Anyway, I dont expect you to understand that - cause for you its not really bout talking footy - its all about "insults".....
First off I have received ONE warning since 2004, so I have no idea what you mean by warnings.

You started with the name calling by calling me a slow dumb fkr, a knob and a Flog, so this crapola that I am all about insults is totally false.

Do you really believe everything you read in the newspaper??

Just in case you didn't notice BJ received a broken collarbone

Both sides were basically even with clearances and the Saints had 16 more inside 50s. There was nothing really wrong with our mid field to warrant posts that suggests that we needed Cousins.

Anyway you can carry on a cry about the missing Cousins theory, I and most others have moved on from Cousins going to Richmond when he was drafted by Richmond.

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

You know what, I thought we really could have used Judd in our rotations!

Hang on, we don't debate Judd because we wasn't available on a first come first serve basis because other clubs actually wanted him!

Bad management is bad management
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

SydneySainter wrote:You know what, I thought we really could have used Judd in our rotations!

Hang on, we don't debate Judd because we wasn't available on a first come first serve basis because other clubs actually wanted him!
lol...

The amount of verbal diarrhea from teflon is amazing...
So you have seen my so called pathetic attacks on others ad nauseum and I have only received the one warning and NOT the crapola suggestion that you state.... :roll:

so just where are these stated FACTS??????

Cousins only played a handful of useful matches in his 15 game appearance for Richmond, if you want to still sook about the Club not securing him, have a whinge to the Club, I am sure they will keenly listen to your insightful thoughts :roll:

Again, both CJ and Mini have improved and were given more game time because of Harvey's departure, yeah I am sure Cousins would have been the difference in flowering hindsight NOT...

Milton66
SS Life Member

Would GT have taken Cousins? :shock:

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:
SydneySainter wrote:You know what, I thought we really could have used Judd in our rotations!

lol...

The amount of verbal diarrhea from teflon is amazing...
AND still you carry on with the insults? are the Mods gonna do anything?

Im not interested in discussing where/how Cousins would be useful to our side GF day cause you simply LIE and pretend he wouldve been the difference - NO ONE THIS THREAD HAS SAID THAT.

Nothing worse than a liar.

“Yeah….nah””
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Man. What would Terry Wallace think about all this.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
matrix
Saintsational Legend

what?
this thread?

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

So have I missed anything during my self-imposed 36 hour ban?

Popcorn anyone?

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

matrixcutter wrote:what?
this thread?

Perfect timing, was typing as you did this... :lol:

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

youd need to start a new thread - wrong topic.

“Yeah….nah””
matrix
Saintsational Legend

dunno ice
just got home from the weekends activities myself.

just kicking back, cuppa tea...bowl of popcorn
ya know how it is
8-)