Cousins

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Fat lot of good he did the Tiges this year. Wasn't it ment to be "Tiges for the finals for sure, maybe even flag! Top five in brownlow betting this pre round 1, sold out MCG for his first run".

What's the point of debating what can't be debated? As none of us would have known how good he would have been for us, nor if his body would've held.

Ross Lyon and the players who don red, white and black got to a grand final and where within a whisker of winning it, but for those of you who are now suggesting that Lyon's decision to not recruit a 30+ recovering drug addict with a bad hamstring has cost us the flag, take a good, hard look at yourself in the mirror, because frankly, it's pathetic!

But, whatever helps you sleep at night.

Bad management is bad management
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:
Teflon wrote:
St Fidelius wrote:
Teflon wrote:Will say again.......NOW with hindsight......to win a flag you gotta take risks.

He was that additional midfielder that DOES run, carry the ball and kick goals that we desperately lack. We couldve had him for zip.

Sure we won 20 games or whatever.....but in the heat of battle in the big one I am in no doubt he wouldve been enormous help to Hayes and that quality 1 mid the Cats couldnt shut down.

Anyway its done so lets hope we find that solution next season BEFORE this group misses its chance.
Yep "he was the additional midfielder that DOES run"

So, in "hindsight" was it the coach and other staff that chose NOT to select Cousins, the reason for us missing the Cup???

You would have to be kidding with that comment
Sure we won 20 games or whatever
Yeah, just look at the players that got us there FFS....

CJ has risen to a new level and just who knows if he would have played too many games if the Club secured Cousins...

Yeah, jam the hindsight, it means jack sh1t :!: :!:
You'd have to be the slowest, dumbest fkr on this site I reckon.

To suggest we couldnt use an additional gut running, goal kicking mid that we couldve gotten for the price of a loaf of bread yesterday not only shows your stupidity but highlights your ignorance.

I dont need hindsight to work out your a flog of the highest.

Have issues? take them elsewhere and tell someone who gives a frk you knob.
Cut the name calling for a start :idea:

Hindsight king!!

Where were you flogging Cousins during the season :!: :!: :roll: :roll: :roll:
You start with your dribble then go screaming to ma?

Ive posted my views on Cousins from the get go - if you cant read I cant help you.

As for name calling - go back and check the thread...there wasnt any on here it was just peoples views on footy till you started "hindsight hero" rubbish

“Yeah….nah””
saint75
SS Hall of Fame

Teflon wrote:
saint75 wrote:Declining Cousins was one of the defining moments for our club this season. Ross' now infamous speech where he told the players that "if you have to rely on Ben Cousins to win a premiership, we are in more trouble than I thought" was one of the turning points for a lot of our players.

I was right behind the push for Cousins this time last year and was furious that we didn't draft him considering the gap between Geelong and us last year. To the coaching staff and the players credit, we are the best team (regardless of the GF result - we lost it, Geelong didn't win it).

We have other requirements that need to be met. We need youth, not a midfielder in his 30's. Plenty of other players going around that are of and have been of more value than what Ben Cousins would be. Can't believe after the season we have had that this was even mentioned. Ben Cousins would not have made one iota of difference yesterday and to imply he would is just sheer stupidity.
Crap.

Ben Cousins running round for us on GF day wouldve been an additional midfielder Geelong wouldve had to stop in a deep rotation we couldve pulled. To say hed have made no difference is bloody mindedness borne from some moral high ground cause the guy has a drug issue. I dont buy.

Lets not forget - Ross Lyon wanted Ben Cousins...those on the Board didnt.

Would he have been the difference? No. No ones said that from what Ive read. Do we need him in the future? No, weve made that call and have to look forward.

But lets not pretend the guy cant play and IN HINDSIGHT wouldve offered us nothing....Im sure Ross and our conditioning staff wouldve made use of him the best way our club needed.
You have no idea. Really, you don't.

Firstly, did you actually READ what I posted? Where did I mention anything about his drug addiction? Also, where in my post did I say he could not play? He was a far superior player to even Judd in his hey day but his reputation never allowed him to get recognition for it.

Secondly, I was one of those who desperately wanted him at the beginning of the year. In hindsight, I think the correct decision was made for St Kilda but he has been an excellent pick up for Richmond and they are lucky to have someone of that class as heaven only knows where they would have finished this year without him.

In reality though, how could you accurately gauge how well he played this year? Of course he excelled at Richmond (when he was not injured mind you), but hell, that wouldn't take a great deal considering the list Wallace has put together at Richmond.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

SydneySainter wrote:Fat lot of good he did the Tiges this year. Wasn't it ment to be "Tiges for the finals for sure, maybe even flag! Top five in brownlow betting this pre round 1, sold out MCG for his first run".

What's the point of debating what can't be debated? As none of us would have known how good he would have been for us, nor if his body would've held.

Ross Lyon and the players who don red, white and black got to a grand final and where within a whisker of winning it, but for those of you who are now suggesting that Lyon's decision to not recruit a 30+ recovering drug addict with a bad hamstring has cost us the flag, take a good, hard look at yourself in the mirror, because frankly, it's pathetic!

But, whatever helps you sleep at night.
Talk about friggin drama queens.

Go back and show me in this thread where it states Not taking Ben Cousins cost us a flag?????

Fks sake the view is he wouldve been useful in our midfield rotations GF - but according to the sites moral do gooders he cant play......hes just a very naughty boy...

Dont make it up as you to make yourself "sleep better" at night cause thats just mindless BS and lies.

“Yeah….nah””
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
St Fidelius wrote:
Teflon wrote:
St Fidelius wrote:
Teflon wrote:Will say again.......NOW with hindsight......to win a flag you gotta take risks.

He was that additional midfielder that DOES run, carry the ball and kick goals that we desperately lack. We couldve had him for zip.

Sure we won 20 games or whatever.....but in the heat of battle in the big one I am in no doubt he wouldve been enormous help to Hayes and that quality 1 mid the Cats couldnt shut down.

Anyway its done so lets hope we find that solution next season BEFORE this group misses its chance.

So, in "hindsight" was it the coach and other staff that chose NOT to select Cousins, the reason for us missing the Cup???

CJ has risen to a new level and just who knows if he would have played too many games if the Club secured Cousins...

To suggest we couldnt use an additional gut running, goal kicking mid that we couldve gotten for the price of a loaf of bread yesterday not only shows your stupidity but highlights your ignorance.

Hindsight king!!

Ive posted my views on Cousins from the get go - if you cant read I cant help you.

As for name calling - go back and check the thread...there wasnt any on here it was just peoples views on footy till you started "hindsight hero" rubbish
Do you really have the ability to READ!!??

Just when did I name call you????

I did mention that CJ has improved and that maybe he might not have got the chance IF Cousins was picked up...

I did mention that are you blaming the coaching and selection staff on not winning the premiership because of your "hindsight" thoughts...

So, again....

Just when did I name call you in order for you name calling me :roll:

Here's a clue....

GET ONE FFS :!: :!: :!:

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

santazzi wrote:Guys...why are you looking for a midfielder?......in the game I watched (on TV) I saw the mid field feed the forward often enough....I saw the forward talls crush the ball to the ground.......I saw the smalls get the pill close to the goal..........Let us face it we had 10 lives, 9 of them really liveable......unfortunately every single one of those nine lives were slaughtered...that is it..........as the capitain said in his address at the reception last night ..."we are that good"...........this team is good ..it may need some fine tuning..........but it does not need to shop for a SAVIOR..........
ABSO-f******-LUTELY!

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
saint75
SS Hall of Fame

SainterK wrote:
saint75 wrote:Declining Cousins was one of the defining moments for our club this season. Ross' now infamous speech where he told the players that "if you have to rely on Ben Cousins to win a premiership, we are in more trouble than I thought" was one of the turning points for a lot of our players.

I was right behind the push for Cousins this time last year and was furious that we didn't draft him considering the gap between Geelong and us last year. To the coaching staff and the players credit, we are the best team (regardless of the GF result - we lost it, Geelong didn't win it).

We have other requirements that need to be met. We need youth, not a midfielder in his 30's. Plenty of other players going around that are of and have been of more value than what Ben Cousins would be. Can't believe after the season we have had that this was even mentioned. Ben Cousins would not have made one iota of difference yesterday and to imply he would is just sheer stupidity.
I think you need to give the players a bit more credit than that...
Not sure what you mean by this as I believe that to the players credit, they stepped it up 100% this year. The fact that we closed such a large and seemingly insurmountable gap between us and Geelong and Hawthorn is amazing work. I think Ross' speech was a bit of a wake up call and awoke them out of deep slumber. Every one of them has picked their game up by at least 20% compared to their performances last year.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

saint75 wrote:
Teflon wrote:

Crap.

Ben Cousins running round for us on GF day wouldve been an additional midfielder Geelong wouldve had to stop in a deep rotation we couldve pulled. To say hed have made no difference is bloody mindedness borne from some moral high ground cause the guy has a drug issue. I dont buy.

Would he have been the difference? No. No ones said that from what Ive read. Do we need him in the future? No, weve made that call and have to look forward.

But lets not pretend the guy cant play and IN HINDSIGHT wouldve offered us nothing....Im sure Ross and our conditioning staff wouldve made use of him the best way our club needed.

Firstly, did you actually READ what I posted? Where did I mention anything about his drug addiction? Also, where in my post did I say he could not play? He was a far superior player to even Judd in his hey day but his reputation never allowed him to get recognition for it.

Secondly, I was one of those who desperately wanted him at the beginning of the year. In hindsight, I think the correct decision was made for St Kilda but he has been an excellent pick up for Richmond and they are lucky to have someone of that class as heaven only knows where they would have finished this year without him.

In reality though, how could you accurately gauge how well he played this year? Of course he excelled at Richmond (when he was not injured mind you), but hell, that wouldn't take a great deal considering the list Wallace has put together at Richmond.
Seriously you post tripe then direct others to re rea it?

Couple of points.

Your previous mess of a post discusses taking Cousins as a "future"prospect - where YOU state we need "youth".....ofcourse we do NOW Sherlock...at the time of the decision which this topic is based on we obviously didnt then cause as you say......YOU wanted him.

Secondly you trot out the unbeleivable crAp that a fit Ben Cousins wouldve made no impact to our mid rotation GF day....how can you be so sure Nostradamus? I beg to differ, infact Im positive he'd have been very useful.

As for writing of his season as "so what he played for Richmond"...what bollocks - the guy was great for them for much of the year....just imagine if the same was mentioned about Rob Harvey in porr St Kilda sides......hypocrisy alive and well.

I dont like Cousins - but to downplay hes had a good year for Richmond is complete garbage to make you feel better about our decision.

“Yeah….nah””
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Apparently Harry Hindsight has never lost a game.

In hindsight - if Milne didn't grubber it off the ground - If Schneider or Mini or Dempster could kick the ball through an open goal - in hindsight if the spoil Zac made had of bounce off Scarletts foot to Kosi not Ablett we would have scored the winning goal - in hindsight if my aunt had balls....

wonderful coach and selector is Harry Hindsight.

Glad we didn't get Cousins. Everything this season may have been different if Cousins had of torn his hammy in R1 against Sydney.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Milton66
SS Life Member

Game on! :D

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

saint75 wrote:
SainterK wrote:

I think you need to give the players a bit more credit than that...
Not sure what you mean by this as I believe that to the players credit, they stepped it up 100% this year. The fact that we closed such a large and seemingly insurmountable gap between us and Geelong and Hawthorn is amazing work. I think Ross' speech was a bit of a wake up call and awoke them out of deep slumber. Every one of them has picked their game up by at least 20% compared to their performances last year.
Or maybe they would have anyway, not sure that BC was the wake up call.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:
Teflon wrote:
St Fidelius wrote:
Teflon wrote:
St Fidelius wrote:

Hindsight king!!

Do you really have the ability to READ!!??

Just when did I name call you????

I did mention that CJ has improved and that maybe he might not have got the chance IF Cousins was picked up...

I did mention that are you blaming the coaching and selection staff on not winning the premiership because of your "hindsight" thoughts...

So, again....

Just when did I name call you in order for you name calling me :roll:

Here's a clue....

GET ONE FFS :!: :!: :!:
My apologies I didnt realise "jam your hindisight" from your original dribble of a post was directed at me as a complement??

Allow me to return the "complement" - shove your clue up your @ss. :idea:

“Yeah….nah””
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:Apparently Harry Hindsight has never lost a game.

In hindsight - if Milne didn't grubber it off the ground - If Schneider or Mini or Dempster could kick the ball through an open goal - in hindsight if the spoil Zac made had of bounce off Scarletts foot to Kosi not Ablett we would have scored the winning goal - in hindsight if my aunt had balls....

Glad we didn't get Cousins. Everything this season may have been different if Cousins had of torn his hammy in R1 against Sydney.
YEP...

Just waiting for "sh1t don't stick" for some responses ...

Over to you teflon or harry hindsight

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Teffers and St Fid - fair dinkum - you two are like the IRA, Al Queda and the PLO all rolled into one!

GET A ROOM!

Milton66
SS Life Member

I cannot believe that we are sitting here after a GF and talking about Cousins.

Let's talk about GT instead. :lol:

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Personally couldnt give a frk for "harry hindsight" myself - its nothing but bandwagoning for mine.

But Im also not so insecure that I cant have a view or discuss (without curling into a ball on the floor screaming "hindsight hindsight") that Cousins wouldve been useful to our side this year. Apparently thats not allowed on a football forum.

Tought titties for the hindisght crew I say...

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:

YEP...

Just waiting for "sh1t don't stick" for some responses ...

Over to you teflon or harry hindsight
hello.....found a friend aunty? you ust be wrapt...

“Yeah….nah””
Beej
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:Glad we didn't get Cousins. Everything this season may have been different if Cousins had of torn his hammy in R1 against Sydney.
According to you we were psychologically better off after Harves retired.

But now you're saying with Cousins in the side and a loss in round one, we would have capitulated like the Saints of old?

Are we psychologically better off or not?

Milton66
SS Life Member

GT would never have recruited BC either. :lol:

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Mate where you're slipping up is that while it's fine for you to cough up a theory or two it's equally fine for people to think your theory is so hypothetical as to render it pointless as discussion topic.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Milton66 wrote:GT would never have recruited BC either. :lol:
Im a tad confused...I thought baiting was againts forum rules?

Its pretty simple......you either want to discuss a topic or dont - why continue with the child like pot stirring?.....I thougbht we'd stamped a lot of that crap out.

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:Mate where you're slipping up is that while it's fine for you to cough up a theory or two it's equally fine for people to think your theory is so hypothetical as to render it pointless as discussion topic.
Not sure who this is directed at but if its me - I didnt start the thread and I wasnt the one telling people to "jam their hindsight" cause they have a view.

If thats slipping up then I dont apologise and you need to re read the thread...

Ive no problems with people believing the thread a wast of time - I dont so I posted. When I see posts that I think that of......I dont buy in to them with insults.
Last edited by Teflon on Sun 27 Sep 2009 11:26pm, edited 1 time in total.

“Yeah….nah””
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

I shudder to think our group was so weak that had we taken him, our players wouldn't have stepped up.

I was a huge fan and believe we should have taken him. Still do. He'd have been worth at least one goal to us yesterday, at some point. And those who've seen him in a GF know he'd have been perfect yesterday.

I guess you have to ask...would he have been better than our 22nd player yesterday? The answer is probably yes.

Still, we didn't take him. I have to believe that it did galvanise the playing group, even if I sincerely doubt it. It might have been a passing comment from Lyon, but I'll bet it wasn't the catalyst for Sam Gilbert going from unacheiver to gun.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:I shudder to think our group was so weak that had we taken him, our players wouldn't have stepped up.

I was a huge fan and believe we should have taken him. Still do. He'd have been worth at least one goal to us yesterday, at some point. And those who've seen him in a GF know he'd have been perfect yesterday.

I guess you have to ask...would he have been better than our 22nd player yesterday? The answer is probably yes.

Still, we didn't take him. I have to believe that it did galvanise the playing group, even if I sincerely doubt it. It might have been a passing comment from Lyon, but I'll bet it wasn't the catalyst for Sam Gilbert going from unacheiver to gun.
Well done my thoughts also....good luck if your allowed to discuss it though.

“Yeah….nah””
saint75
SS Hall of Fame

Teflon wrote:
saint75 wrote:
Teflon wrote:

Crap.

Seriously you post tripe then direct others to re rea it?

Couple of points.

Your previous mess of a post discusses taking Cousins as a "future"prospect - where YOU state we need "youth".....ofcourse we do NOW Sherlock...at the time of the decision which this topic is based on we obviously didnt then cause as you say......YOU wanted him.

Secondly you trot out the unbeleivable crAp that a fit Ben Cousins wouldve made no impact to our mid rotation GF day....how can you be so sure Nostradamus? I beg to differ, infact Im positive he'd have been very useful.

As for writing of his season as "so what he played for Richmond"...what bollocks - the guy was great for them for much of the year....just imagine if the same was mentioned about Rob Harvey in porr St Kilda sides......hypocrisy alive and well.

I dont like Cousins - but to downplay hes had a good year for Richmond is complete garbage to make you feel better about our decision.
OK, I am confused. Am I Sherlock or Nostradamus? :roll:

Talking about a mess of posts. You have got no idea. Go back and read your own rubbish. Contradicting yourself at every turn. Not doubt you are hurting like the rest of us, but take your frustration out elsewhere as you are really starting to look like a tool. There is nothing wrong with a discussion and a debate, but your constant attack is what is getting peoples backs up.

Fortius Quo Fidelius