Didn't take it well!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

n1ck wrote:Pretty much inconsolable yesterday.

Sat in my seat up in Q50 for about an hour or so after the game was won and lost. Had to sit through that god-awful durge a hundred times, but I couldnt move. Couldnt talk.

Punched the seat. Cried.

Didnt take it well at all.
That is exactly what i did. Had to put my hands over my face as my daughter was embarrassed that i was crying over a footy game. She will hopefully learn.

Broodruff
Club Player

I haven't really seen the last 5 minutes of the match. After Chapman kicked that goal I buried my face into my jersey. Living in Geelong this is even harder to take, surrounded by cats fans eveywhere I go. I cried for a good 30 minutes, consoled who god knows who, I didnt have the energy to lift my head up. I'm hurting and I can only imagine how the boys are feeling.

bozza1980
Club Player

Broodruff wrote:I haven't really seen the last 5 minutes of the match. After Chapman kicked that goal I buried my face into my jersey.
Substitute hands for jersey and that is how I spent the last few minutes.

Then was inconsolable once the siren went, how many bloody times did they play that god afwul song?? Each time was like a dagger to the heart.

Bloody awful, bloody awful.

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

Well its good to know that I was not the only one crying, and still hurting so badly now, and I wish I could be optimistic about next year, or that we will win soon, but I am so negative now, damn hurts so bloody much

I just want to fast foward to summer and forget it all

I love this club
True Blue Sainter
Club Player

Gabba wrote:
n1ck wrote:Pretty much inconsolable yesterday.

Sat in my seat up in Q50 for about an hour or so after the game was won and lost. Had to sit through that god-awful durge a hundred times, but I couldnt move. Couldnt talk.

Punched the seat. Cried.

Didnt take it well at all.
None of us spoke from about 5 mins left till we left the ground. About 30mins. We all just sat there... head in hands.
I was the same. I just sat there numb. I couldn't take anything in. I don't remember anything apart from the Norm Smith going to Chapman. I was just speechless, crying silently into my hands. The tears are welling up again now... I couldn't move.

The Saints are coming!
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

yep, shed a few tears myself.

I left as soon as the siren went - did anyone else go then?

As I've been to plenty of GF's - seeing the cup presentation is not new for me.

Could'nt bear to see the Cats hold it up - had to go.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Just felt really...REALLY numb that last couple of minutes...I dont think I shed a tear but I cant say for sure..I consoled a few who did though and there were plenty

For some reason I thought the losing club left the field before the presentations..so waited for Roos speech (which could harldy be heard in standing room anyway) but then when it was obvious Id have to stand through all the presentations and hoopla I'd had enough..didnt leave straight away just abandoned our fence spots and chatted at the back of the area for a while before wandering outside

Cant emphasise enough how going to the family day today helped. Heard it described as a wake and without trying to equate football with the death of a loved one, it had that feel. Lots of emotion and dissapointment but smiles too, people still wanting to talk about some of the good stuff of 09

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Numb is the way to describe it. Maybe a case of shock as well. My brain just struggled to comprehend what had happened...again.

My wife & I left soon after the siren... walked silently from the Ponsford around to gate 4 & met our crew that had sat up that end. While I felt like balling my eyes out I had a few younger mates that were inconsolable.

I went straight home to our two year old daughter who managed to put a smile on my face with a rapturous welcome home.

Got up this morning & went to cricket training, which helped a lot. Something else to focus on despite the constant 'bad luck mate's that I got.

Caught the family day interviews on SEN on the way home. The determination in the voices really got me.

I'm so very proud of our boys & the club in general. The feeling is very different to the one after 97. Our club is being beautifully run & the people in charge are the equal to anyone in the AFL. We'll be back in September next year & who knows from there.

I'm also very proud of our supporters. You are an amazing group of loyal, wonderful people. We'll get there one day....

I think for my own sanity I might give Saintsational a break for a while... I just can't stand the recriminations against players that played their hearts out but came up tragically short.

See you all after trade week.

saintnick12
Club Player

[quote="Animal Enclosure"]Numb is the way to describe it. Maybe a case of shock as well. My brain just struggled to comprehend what had happened...again.

Numb is a great way to descibe it. It took me until after we beat Hawthorn in Tassie to finally believe we could win it this year...before that the pessimist in me couldn't see it happening. From that moment on we had issues in every game. We were down at least two goals early in every game from then until the end of the season.
Anyway, I was sure we would win the prelim and couldn't enjoy the game at all...just found it so stressful. At least I was able to enjoy it to an extent yesterday until the end that is. When Geelong won their prelim, and all the players were fit again, I guess I felt we could win, but it was more a hope that it would all go right for us, rather than an expectation like the week before.
For most of the game yesterday I was almost hoping against hope that we could win in and was secretly pleased we were still in the game to be honest. I knew we hadn't disgraced ourselves. I saw the odds on the scoreboard at 3/4 time and we were favourites, and I finally allowed myself to believe we could win it, and would win it. When they scored in the first two minutes of the last, I got the feeling in the pit of my stomach. Feeling like the inevitable was about to occur, while still willing us to keep going. When the pivotal play which resulted in that goal to Chapman happened. I could see Ablett there and didn't think Zac was a chance to get there, and when he did, I could see us going down to an open forward line and scoring, but alas, we all know what happened. I knew once they hit the front then they would win, cos we hand't really looked like scoring before that.
After the game I thought I would cry, but it just wouldn't come, even though I wanted to (I'm a sooky girl by the way and really thought I would sob, but felt so numb, I just couldn't). My 14 year old son and I had made a commitment that we would stay until our players left the ground no matter what, and we did. It was soo hard watching our players so upset, and also watching Geelong celebrate. Most of our bay (M7) cleared out, and heaps of Geelong people game down onto the fence (I was in row O), and a few came a row or two behind us and starting singing at the top of their voices. But we refused to go. I shed a tear when ROO spoke. He was so emotional, but he spoke so well. i was so proud of our boys, and of him, and that made me cry. We left after the players walked off, just after the cup was presented. I was surprised how many Geelong people had already left. If the saints had won, I would have stayed for ages. My parents left before the presentations and they also couldn't believe how many Geelong supporters were outside..even missing the presentation...crazy...
After the drive home, my non football supporting husband arranged my 14 year old and I to meet him at McDonalds with our two year old who had been home with him all day. As I watched him run around there with his saints jumper on, (with his number 14 on the back), oblivious to it all, I realized that as much as it hurts, there is more to life. As one who has experienced a lot of pain and loss in life, I watched the joy of my two year old and 14 year old playing and realized that although my team just lost the GF, I am still a very lucky girl, and thats the most important thing. I look forward to sharing the saints more and more with my two boys next year and the following few years, which should be good years for us. And most importanly, I will enjoy the ride.