Small forwards/ Ebert

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Small forwards/ Ebert

Difference yesterday was small forwards. Plain and simple. Wet day means kosi and roo were going to be less influential. All we needed was a moderate output from our 3 small forwards. We did not get it. Crucial on wet days. They are the culprits (also against the dogs). Its simple. We need to got for Ebert from Port. He is available. Strong body. one goal from him yesterday we win. Simple.

I dont care what we have to do to get him. I want him. Plain and simple.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

We have Tom Lynch developing as a medium forward and Nick Heyne kicked 4 or 5 in one game for Sandi this year. Let's take a closer look at what we are developing before we go out "shopping" !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

flyingwhale18
Club Player

could be a good move. but who would we let go? who would they WANT?

remember though, we have a good 3rd forward option in Lynch building his game, give him a go first before we start going after players when he have a young player waiting on the side for his chance.

team: oh when the saints!
milne: oh when the saints...
team: go marching in!
milne: GO MARCHING IN!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

agree re lynch and heyne. but ill gladly have all 3 at the club for the next decade thanks.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

IMO we really need to look at moving Armo into the forward line the way we did McQualter. I know he played there against Essendon and looked ordinary, but he hadn't really had any preparation at the position. IMO we need to work him in with the forward group over preseason. He's a ball player who's strong below his knees and above his head and he's a good left foot kick. He's kicked 13 goals in 19 career games playing predominantly as a depth onballer. I know I'd prefer him to Eddy or Dempster.

Ebert is no chance. He's slow and lazy and despite his size is really more of an overhead player than a ground level forward.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:IMO we really need to look at moving Armo into the forward line the way we did McQualter. I know he played there against Essendon and looked ordinary, but he hadn't really had any preparation at the position. IMO we need to work him in with the forward group over preseason. He's a ball player who's strong below his knees and above his head and he's a good left foot kick. He's kicked 13 goals in 19 career games playing predominantly as a depth onballer. I know I'd prefer him to Eddy or Dempster.

Ebert is no chance. He's slow and lazy and despite his size is really more of an overhead player than a ground level forward.

slow and lazy. i heard that before... he goes ok. nuggety dude. made for finals. hes only young.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

In todays Herald Sun Brett Peake was mentioned as a trade to the saints. Hes a quick outside mid. I think that i another area we could use help. We have no real speedsters. Hope Tungatalum comes on as a quick forward or a n Aaron Davey would be nice.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Con Gorozidis wrote:slow and lazy. i heard that before... he goes ok. nuggety dude. made for finals. hes only young.
Made for finals? The only final that Ebert's ever had an impact on was an 87-point home-state victory where he kicked three. He doesn't pressure, he doesn't tackle, he doesn't win the ball at ground level. He had considerably more uncontested marks than ground ball gets this year. He'll be 26 by the start of next year.

Aside from being a nuggetty dude, what does he actually bring to the table?

Yeah nah pleasing positive
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

We also have Jack Stevens!

Bad management is bad management
FortiusQuoFidelius
Club Player

vacuous space wrote:
did you mean his head makes him and oversize player...???

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Winmar
Club Player

I was thinking something similar!

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

big noggin :o

philip
Club Player

SydneySainter wrote:We also have Jack Stevens!
bingo...add a few kg's, a couple of seasons and he is our chappy. lynch looks like a s.johnson replica and heyne adds some toughness too, but they are at least 3 seasons away from producing week in, week outl.

but, we don't have three seasons why i actually think ebert is not such a bad suggestion.

philip

Just looking forward to us having a real crack each week, and appreciating the younger talent coming through.
max#8

Re: Small forwards/ Ebert

Con Gorozidis wrote:Difference yesterday was small forwards. Plain and simple. Wet day means kosi and roo were going to be less influential. All we needed was a moderate output from our 3 small forwards. We did not get it. Crucial on wet days. They are the culprits (also against the dogs). Its simple. We need to got for Ebert from Port. He is available. Strong body. one goal from him yesterday we win. Simple.

I dont care what we have to do to get him. I want him. Plain and simple.
Ebert is not the answer at all. he has had two average seasons in a row.
i believe that they should be looking for a medium lead up forward rather than ebert whos best is behind him.
maybe we dont need to trade to get a 3rd forward as lynch is developing into that lead up role that we have been missing.

IMO we should stick with roo kozi schneid n milne and include lynch into our forward line which would make it pretty well-rounded and versetile.
Last edited by max#8 on Sun 27 Sep 2009 6:23pm, edited 1 time in total.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:big noggin :o

i thought he was 23.
i did not know he was 25. maybe too old.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

ARMITAGE and STEVEN are the answer...

IMO given the rain the SAINTS selectors didn't dare to win the game yesterday. ARMITAGE is a proven wet weather performer who can kick goals and IMO given the wet should have played in front of DEMPSTER.

The other thing was when Dal SANTO was quiet in third and fourth they should have pushed him forward.

BAKER should have started on CHAPMAN....
Last edited by WinnersOnly on Sun 27 Sep 2009 6:28pm, edited 1 time in total.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
StSteven
Club Player

Nathan Brown is available.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: ARMITAGE and STEVEN are the answer...

WinnersOnly wrote:IMO given the rain the SAINTS selectors didn't dare to win the game yesterday. ARMITAGE is a proven wet weather performer who can kick goals and IMO given the wet should have played in front of DEMPSTER.

The other thing was when Dal SANTO was quiet in third and fourth they should have pushed him forward.

How did Johnson go? Why would Armo had done any good. it wasnt that wet and the game was played at a very fast pace. Doubt that would suit Armo. Selectors didnt do anything wrong unless they can make players kick better for goal during a game.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Ebert great pair of hands, and good lead up player but doesnt do the defensive stuff well or work hard off the ball which is why the power is letting him go.

Ebert is not the answer, however I agree we need another small forward,

IF .. and it is an IF only, X can stay fit he could be the answer.

“If you want the rainbow you gotta put up with rain” Dolly Parton
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Re: ARMITAGE and STEVEN are the answer...

plugger66 wrote:
WinnersOnly wrote:IMO given the rain the SAINTS selectors didn't dare to win the game yesterday. ARMITAGE is a proven wet weather performer who can kick goals and IMO given the wet should have played in front of DEMPSTER.

How did Johnson go? Why would Armo had done any good. it wasnt that wet and the game was played at a very fast pace. Doubt that would suit Armo. Selectors didnt do anything wrong unless they can make players kick better for goal during a game.
Yes agreed plugger66, steve johnson was beaten hands down and Baker did a fantastic job, hindsight is a wonderful thing WinnersOnly, because Chapman played a great game, had Baker played on Chapman, maybe Steve Johnson would have played a blinder...

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
degruch
Saintsational Legend

Most Port fans I know believe Ebert is wasted in their forward line and should have been moved to mid this year.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Zed wrote:Ebert great pair of hands, and good lead up player but doesnt do the defensive stuff well or work hard off the ball which is why the power is letting him go.

Ebert is not the answer, however I agree we need another small forward,

IF .. and it is an IF only, X can stay fit he could be the answer.
if the question is
"who spends all the time falling over on hands and knees?"

then X is the answer.