That 'goal'

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saintmania
Club Player

That 'goal'

I know it's pointless and we can't change it, we missed our chances, blah blah blah, but I'm shocked with how little is being made of the Hawkins goal that wasn't. It was the difference in the end.

S.A Saint
Club Player

Re: That 'goal'

Saintmania wrote:I know it's pointless and we can't change it, we missed our chances, blah blah blah, but I'm shocked with how little is being made of the Hawkins goal that wasn't. It was the difference in the end.
FFS that was not the difference...the difference was that we could not finish in front of goals and they could...that was the only thing that stopped us from getting the cup....

Beej
Saintsational Legend

It would've made a massive difference. Yes, we should've won anyway but things like that change games.

You can't just say we lost by 2 kicks so in the end that goal doesn't matter.

We could've been 12 points up at 3/4 time as opposed to 7. Bomber may have had to take more risks that may not have paid off.

All those little things contribute to momentum swings.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

If this if that. Those things are out of our control. What we could control is kicking for goal.

undecided
Club Player

it only takes one moment to change the entire course of events in a match

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

undecided wrote:it only takes one moment to change the entire course of events in a match
EXACTLY!

Geelong should have been one point in front with a St Kilda kick in and a whole new course of events would have existed, we will never know what would have happened if we'd been kicking in after a point instead of the ball going back to the middle for another Geelong goal within seconds........ and eventually Geelong win by 12 points.

The real point NOW is WHY in this day and age in such a professional sport such as AFL, we do not use video camera's with appointed officials to overrule blatantly incorrect decisions via the technology available is incomprehensible.

I'd have two goal umpires,( one on each goal post ) at each end plus video goal umpires/appointed officials to overrule absolute blatant errors, if the two goal umpires still don't get it right and camera's everywhere to make it virtually impossible to make an error.

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
python
Club Player

after that "goal" geelong got the clearance and had another within 20 seconds. Im seeing it as a two goal turnaround, but im not blaming the umpires, the blame rests with the St.Kilda football club for missing simple set shots.

Regardless of the result, something has to be done to ensure this mistake doesnt happen again. Absolutely ridiculous, i spotted it from the other end, how does the goal umpire miss it?

VietNam_Saint
Club Player

Saintmania wrote:I know it's pointless and we can't change it, we missed our chances, blah blah blah, but I'm shocked with how little is being made of the Hawkins goal that wasn't. It was the difference in the end.
Doesn't matter a rats arse about it ,,,, fact was we fumbled in front of goal and they swooped on it.

It was the same umpire that gave us Schides free shot ,,, I'll put it down to an even upperer from the umpire. I reckon the umps did a pretty good job.

plain and simple we lost because we couldnt convert.

What will be next from this club ?
Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

The other option for the league to change the rule regarding balls hitting the post.

If it hits the post and goes through the goals then it's a goal.
If it hits the post and goes through the points then it's a point.
If it hits the post and comes back in to the field of play, then it's play on.

It feels like most of the errors are post related so eliminate the issue.

Schillaci
Club Player

The kicking for goal was the difference in the end...if only Milney, Schneids and Mini converted.
You're right we can't change the goal that wasn't. That's not something in our control. Forget about it ...move on.

jacko_sainter

im pretty sure it was a goal. the goal ump was in the best position to see it sail straight through the middle.

hawkins 2 goals - riewoldt 1. :lol:

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Jacko Sainter you are a coward pure & simple.

Whether you are too young to understand or just too stupid, you will get yours. Hopefully you have a big mouth too & someone will put you in hospital for a very long time.

If you would like to discuss this personally, please PM me & I'll sort you out myself.

PS. Your mother is a morwell whore bag. And if you know your father, I'm sure he'll appreciate a conjugal visit from your sister soon.

Saint05
Club Player

I dont know if this will appeal to some people, but here it goes anyway. It was awesome to hear the Saints C/S (correct me if Im wrong) and the others Saints supporters down there chanting b#llsh!t about the decision. I was walking down the aisle from Level 3 on the Olympic at the time and thought nothing of it, but when I saw the replay while getting drinks at the bar it was clear why we were chanting it... It doesnt matter, but it was great to see that our supporters let their feelings heard anyway...

(Sorry again, just my personal observation :) 8-)

Strength through Loyality!
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

The aspect of this that concerns me the most is that Grand Final Umpires (incl Goal Umpires) in the AFL are supposed to be "The Best of The Best". Mistakes like this SHOULD NOT occur. The AFL needs to address it

People will say that one day this will cost someone a flag. We will never know, but this may have been the case yesterday !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Not much has been made of it because (a) it was an obvious mistake (b) it made absolutely no difference (c) Saints supporters seem to have accepted the loss and can't see the point in carrying on like Bulldogs supporters did last week, when...(d) we should have been several goals ahead at this stage of the game, but weren't because of our crap kicking in front of goal.

St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

barks4eva wrote:[I'd have two goal umpires,( one on each goal post ) at each
This. It seems to work for other ball sports with posts ...

saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

i was right behind it front row. couldnt of got a better seat to see it hit the post. not by a lot but it bounced back off about 15cm.
i remember the ump going into position to give it the all clear goal signal and as he was walking to the centre of the goals and not the point post to bang it, thats when i went feral.
the field ump was looking at us, wondering why there are 100 people standing saying that hit the post. their all idiots.
that goal ump deserved to be shot at.

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
VietNam_Saint
Club Player

Weather it happened or not is not an issue ,,,, it clearly hit the post.

That field umpire who was wondering why the cheer squad was screaming so much was the guy that gave the "extra" free to schnides.

from N level above the cheer squad I too had a perfect view and joinedin the CS chant of b******t.

And congratulations there Animal ,,, imagine the poor kid is 12 yo.
Please edit your post

What will be next from this club ?
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

St DAC wrote:
barks4eva wrote:[I'd have two goal umpires,( one on each goal post ) at each
This. It seems to work for other ball sports with posts ...
But think of the extra cost!

Let's work it out - how much would a goal umpire get per game?

$250 is my guess.

So that's an exta $500 per match times 8 per round = $4,000 a week.

OR....

$88,000 per annum H&A + finals = $95,000 approx all up (more per final!).

hmmm......

That doesn't sound too bad eh?

Beej
Saintsational Legend

If you put yourself in the goal umpires shoes for a second and realise the angle he was viewing it from and the speed the ball must've been travelling, you can appreciate that it was not an easy call.

It wasn't as if it smacked the middle of the post.

People directly behind the post would have seen it clearly but from where the umpire was (closer to the other goal post) it would've been difficult to tell if the ball deviated at all.

Even with two goal-umpires there would be mistakes.

I reckon a vibration device that alerts someone that it touched the post who can then quickly check the footage if it's a close call and give the goal umpire the all clear. Similar to the net cord device in tennis.

Something needs to be done but two goal umpires would look odd IMO.

johnc19690

The error cost us 2 goals because Geelong scored another from the restart straight away. The whole game would have played out differently if that decision had been correct.

Beej
Saintsational Legend

johnc19690 wrote:The error cost us 2 goals because Geelong scored another from the restart straight away. The whole game would have played out differently if that decision had been correct.
Not to mention how disheartening it would've been for the Geelong players after a miss like that.

And if you want to draw an even longer bow, it would have probably dented Hawkins' confidence so much that he may not have kicked that goal in the last.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

OLB wrote:
johnc19690 wrote:The error cost us 2 goals because Geelong scored another from the restart straight away. The whole game would have played out differently if that decision had been correct.
Not to mention how disheartening it would've been for the Geelong players after a miss like that.

And if you want to draw an even longer bow, it would have probably dented Hawkins' confidence so much that he may not have kicked that goal in the last.
Just how long is this bow? I can see what you guys are getting at, but it's not as if it was Barry Hall's punch on Goose...it happened with plenty of time left, and we had many opportunities to atone afterwards. If anything, those missed chances afterwards would have been the most deflating for the team IMO.

Beej
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
OLB wrote:

Just how long is this bow?

Pretty long.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

VietNam_Saint wrote:Weather it happened or not is not an issue ,,,, it clearly hit the post.

That field umpire who was wondering why the cheer squad was screaming so much was the guy that gave the "extra" free to schnides.

from N level above the cheer squad I too had a perfect view and joinedin the CS chant of b******t.

And congratulations there Animal ,,, imagine the poor kid is 12 yo.
Please edit your post
Sorry VS but I stand by my response. If he is 12 then he needs to learn. More likely he's a 35 year old virgin still living at home with his unemployed whale of a mother.