Another GT "Gem"... I agree 100%!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Young Georgie
Club Player

For no other reason save for posting on this thread...

The Saints contribution to tonights Footy Show review is a tribute band with Gilbo on bass, Colm vocals, Eljay drums and Frankie back by request on guitar.

Rock the Casbah Sainters!!

Graceful, elusive, strong overhead and no Easybeat!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Would we be favourits this week if GT was coach?
You cannot be a favourite if you are not in it.

With Rix and Blake in the ruck we may have scraped into ninth.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

48 pages.... f*** that.

I just wanted to post in this epic thread....

Is it all about GT, I don't really want to go through it all myself.

For some reason, I can't stand detail.

Milton66
SS Life Member

OneEyedSainter77 wrote:48 pages.... f*** that.

we're trying to clock up a half centruey.

This more like a conversation that goes on in the kitchen at parties.

Some stay for the entire party, some duck off to the loo... whilst others stop in, grab a beer stay for a few minutes, then leave.

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
reincarnated

Milton66 wrote:
OneEyedSainter77 wrote:48 pages.... f*** that.

we're trying to clock up a half centruey.

This more like a conversation that goes on in the kitchen at parties.

Some stay for the entire party, some duck off to the loo... whilst others stop in, grab a beer stay for a few minutes, then leave.
Reincarnated has been on the john for the last 5 hours what has he/she/ gt missed?

vacuous space
SS Life Member

reincarnated wrote:Reincarnated has been on the john for the last 5 hours what has he/she/ gt missed?
Fibre, by the sounds of it.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:
reincarnated wrote:Reincarnated has been on the john for the last 5 hours what has he/she/ gt missed?
Quite possibly post of the year.

Literally laughed out loud.

Gold.

reincarnated

vacuous space wrote:
Reincarnated pays that

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

reincarnated wrote:
vacuous space wrote:
Reincarnated pays that
.CRAP

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
Milton66
SS Life Member

vacuous space wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

another GT gem , he was suppossed to be guest speaker tonight at a dinner function , but at the last minute pulled out, leaving many disappointed. whats new !!!

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

mr six o'clock wrote:another GT gem , he was suppossed to be guest speaker tonight at a dinner function , but at the last minute pulled out, leaving many disappointed. whats new !!!
Was he supposed to discuss other coaches?

Milton66
SS Life Member

[quote="mr six o'clock"] but at the last minute pulled out [quote]

Typical Catholic. :shock:

reincarnated

Mr Magic wrote:
mr six o'clock wrote:another GT gem , he was suppossed to be guest speaker tonight at a dinner function , but at the last minute pulled out, leaving many disappointed. whats new !!!
Was he supposed to discuss other coaches?
Reincarnated had other pressing matters to attend to

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:Outcoached..bah humbug....

While a week off is good for the body...IMO it is not so good for footballers minds.

We came out of the blocks slow last week and took half a game to get going.

As to all Eades moves...what were they?? As mentioned by another already he largely just aped Lyon's strategies.

How did Eade get Ray when the ball was kicked to him in space to double back and then kick sideways to a Dog when he should have just marked and run on to have an easy ping from 30 m out?

While much has been made of the dogs missing shots on the run the saints bungled a lot of scoring opportunities in the first half to extent that they did not even score.

then the saints settled, got there mojo back and ground out a win against a very good opponent.

It is notable that both Jonathon Brown and Simon Black both separately stated on Brownlow night that the StKilda v Dogs was one of greatest pressure games that they have ever seen....and that Black stated that he found the game fascinating.

Those that reckon the dogs were easybeats are grossly under-estimating how the Dogs played.
I have already withdrawn my use of the phrase "Eade outcoached Lyon" and replaced it with "Eade delivered a terrific coaching performance which was almost, but not quite, successful on the night".

I now realise that the word "outcoached" means something different to most people than it formerly did to me. I thought it meant that a coach came to a particular game with a better match day strategy and/or made better decisions from the box than did his opponent, regardless of the result. However, I now realise that, for most posters on here (presumably a reasonable cross-section of AFL fans), a coach can only be considered to have outcoached his opponent if he not only has a better strategy and makes better calls during the game, but his team also wins.

Fair enough, language means what most people think it means. So I was wrong (as I often am: eg, as I was in relation to my negative assessments of Lyon and to CJ and, although I seem to find myself in a minority on here ATM, Robert Eddy as well: I really reckon Eddy should be selected for the GF, but that's a matter for another thread).

However, because it's a bit of a slow day, I will take the opportunity to take issue with your version of what happened on Friday night, which I don't agree with.

I do believe we are a far more talented team overall than the Dogs. I reckon the coaching has a lot to do with why the Dogs are as successful as they are. They are an extremely well-drilled outfit: better than us (as they should be: they have been playing more or less the same style for 4 1/2 seasons now). Moreover, Eade has a high level of strategic nous, and is able to adjust his match day tactics to neutralise the far greater talent possessed by some opposing teams: in particular, Geelong and ourselves.

IMO, Eade almost brought it off on Friday night. I think our players were primed for the game and I don't think the week off was a factor at all: our players and coaching staff are too professional for that to happen.

I do think that the team went out feeling the pressure of expectation: as in 2005, they had had 2 weeks to think about the prospect of being favourites in a match which, if they won, would mean that they would play in (for most of them) their first GF. In that sort of situation, the last thing you want is for your opponents to come out at you like a bull at a gate.

And, of course, that's exactly what happened: the Dogs put enormous pressure on us from the opening bounce and threw our game into disarray. And we started to panic a bit, make mistakes, and put ourselves under even more pressure in a vicious circle.

I'm still not sure if I think the free kick against Lake at the start of the second half was justified or not (I am sure most on here wouldn't have been too approving if a similar kick in a similar situation had been played to Johnson on Dawson). But I am certain it was a massive turning point in the game: the Dogs were set to turn on the pressure again and try to set us into even more panic. Instead, we got the most amazing release of pressure possible.

After this, the Dogs bowed their heads for a bit and we got it together a bit more. But, to the credit of the Dogs and Eade, they stepped up big time and we were still down with a few minutes to go when Gia just missed with a shot on the run that would have put them more than a goal ahead.

IMO it was a tremendous coaching performance by Eade: he didn't do anything amazingly tricky, he just arranged ings to put maximum stress on some of our pressure points and let our nervousness and the weight of expectations create something of a vicious circle.

What exactly were these pressure points?

All game plans have a weakness in them, which is often the flipside of their greatest strength. In our case, the pressure point is what some journos have called our "midget army" of frontline defenders: McQualter, Eddy, Schneider, Ball (when he goes forward) and (when his tackling is on song) Milne.

When these guys are working together well, they make lots of effective tackles, win the ball through turnovers, etc. However, when a team is successful in bypassing them, some of them (particularly Eddy and Schneider on Friday) end up in a bit of a no man's land in which they have to drop back and try to play as midfielders: a role in which they have varying competencies. What gets exposed is that we have a bit of an undermanned midfield relative to other teams, and that an out and out midfield battle - particularly against a team with a lot of quick players across the middle - is not to our advantage.

The Dogs managed to create this situation - through pinpoint passing and the linebreaking runs of Lake and Harbrow and others - and we struggled big time. As we did against the Bombers after quarter time in our two matches this season: although the more skilled Dogs didn't have to take anything like as many risks as the Bombers did.

The Cats also did something similar to us after half time n Rd 14, and will no doubt try it again on Saturday.

Can we counter it? I bloody well hope so.

Perhaps we could adjust the team balance a bit by bringing in one or two more genuine midfielders for Eddy or Milne or both. But that's a big, and enormously risky, call to make at this stage. I wouldn't do it, and I'm pretty sure Lyon wouldn't. We have to go with the game plan we have played all season and play it as well as we can and hope it's good enough. If Kosi and Riewoldt can both kick straight from go to woe, that alone might just do it!!
Quoted as this is the longest post I could find and I just wanted to do my part in pushing this thread towards 50 pages.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
meher baba wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:Outcoached..bah humbug....

While a week off is good for the body...IMO it is not so good for footballers minds.

We came out of the blocks slow last week and took half a game to get going.

As to all Eades moves...what were they?? As mentioned by another already he largely just aped Lyon's strategies.

How did Eade get Ray when the ball was kicked to him in space to double back and then kick sideways to a Dog when he should have just marked and run on to have an easy ping from 30 m out?

While much has been made of the dogs missing shots on the run the saints bungled a lot of scoring opportunities in the first half to extent that they did not even score.

then the saints settled, got there mojo back and ground out a win against a very good opponent.

It is notable that both Jonathon Brown and Simon Black both separately stated on Brownlow night that the StKilda v Dogs was one of greatest pressure games that they have ever seen....and that Black stated that he found the game fascinating.

Those that reckon the dogs were easybeats are grossly under-estimating how the Dogs played.
I have already withdrawn my use of the phrase "Eade outcoached Lyon" and replaced it with "Eade delivered a terrific coaching performance which was almost, but not quite, successful on the night".

I now realise that the word "outcoached" means something different to most people than it formerly did to me. I thought it meant that a coach came to a particular game with a better match day strategy and/or made better decisions from the box than did his opponent, regardless of the result. However, I now realise that, for most posters on here (presumably a reasonable cross-section of AFL fans), a coach can only be considered to have outcoached his opponent if he not only has a better strategy and makes better calls during the game, but his team also wins.

Fair enough, language means what most people think it means. So I was wrong (as I often am: eg, as I was in relation to my negative assessments of Lyon and to CJ and, although I seem to find myself in a minority on here ATM, Robert Eddy as well: I really reckon Eddy should be selected for the GF, but that's a matter for another thread).

However, because it's a bit of a slow day, I will take the opportunity to take issue with your version of what happened on Friday night, which I don't agree with.

I do believe we are a far more talented team overall than the Dogs. I reckon the coaching has a lot to do with why the Dogs are as successful as they are. They are an extremely well-drilled outfit: better than us (as they should be: they have been playing more or less the same style for 4 1/2 seasons now). Moreover, Eade has a high level of strategic nous, and is able to adjust his match day tactics to neutralise the far greater talent possessed by some opposing teams: in particular, Geelong and ourselves.

IMO, Eade almost brought it off on Friday night. I think our players were primed for the game and I don't think the week off was a factor at all: our players and coaching staff are too professional for that to happen.

I do think that the team went out feeling the pressure of expectation: as in 2005, they had had 2 weeks to think about the prospect of being favourites in a match which, if they won, would mean that they would play in (for most of them) their first GF. In that sort of situation, the last thing you want is for your opponents to come out at you like a bull at a gate.

And, of course, that's exactly what happened: the Dogs put enormous pressure on us from the opening bounce and threw our game into disarray. And we started to panic a bit, make mistakes, and put ourselves under even more pressure in a vicious circle.

I'm still not sure if I think the free kick against Lake at the start of the second half was justified or not (I am sure most on here wouldn't have been too approving if a similar kick in a similar situation had been played to Johnson on Dawson). But I am certain it was a massive turning point in the game: the Dogs were set to turn on the pressure again and try to set us into even more panic. Instead, we got the most amazing release of pressure possible.

After this, the Dogs bowed their heads for a bit and we got it together a bit more. But, to the credit of the Dogs and Eade, they stepped up big time and we were still down with a few minutes to go when Gia just missed with a shot on the run that would have put them more than a goal ahead.

IMO it was a tremendous coaching performance by Eade: he didn't do anything amazingly tricky, he just arranged ings to put maximum stress on some of our pressure points and let our nervousness and the weight of expectations create something of a vicious circle.

What exactly were these pressure points?

All game plans have a weakness in them, which is often the flipside of their greatest strength. In our case, the pressure point is what some journos have called our "midget army" of frontline defenders: McQualter, Eddy, Schneider, Ball (when he goes forward) and (when his tackling is on song) Milne.

When these guys are working together well, they make lots of effective tackles, win the ball through turnovers, etc. However, when a team is successful in bypassing them, some of them (particularly Eddy and Schneider on Friday) end up in a bit of a no man's land in which they have to drop back and try to play as midfielders: a role in which they have varying competencies. What gets exposed is that we have a bit of an undermanned midfield relative to other teams, and that an out and out midfield battle - particularly against a team with a lot of quick players across the middle - is not to our advantage.

The Dogs managed to create this situation - through pinpoint passing and the linebreaking runs of Lake and Harbrow and others - and we struggled big time. As we did against the Bombers after quarter time in our two matches this season: although the more skilled Dogs didn't have to take anything like as many risks as the Bombers did.

The Cats also did something similar to us after half time n Rd 14, and will no doubt try it again on Saturday.

Can we counter it? I bloody well hope so.

Perhaps we could adjust the team balance a bit by bringing in one or two more genuine midfielders for Eddy or Milne or both. But that's a big, and enormously risky, call to make at this stage. I wouldn't do it, and I'm pretty sure Lyon wouldn't. We have to go with the game plan we have played all season and play it as well as we can and hope it's good enough. If Kosi and Riewoldt can both kick straight from go to woe, that alone might just do it!!
Quoted as this is the longest post I could find and I just wanted to do my part in pushing this thread towards 50 pages.
me too.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
saintly
Saintsational Legend

what do we do once it reaches 50 pages?

Will GT come on here and celebrate?

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

saintly wrote:what do we do once it reaches 50 pages?

Isn't he already contributing to this thread by commenting on other coaches?

Milton66
SS Life Member

Mr Magic wrote:

We wave to the pavillion. And lift our bat in the air. :lol:

reincarnated

Milton66 wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:

Grant Thomas already posts on here

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

reincarnated wrote:
Milton66 wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:

Yep. :roll:

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

reincarnated wrote:
Milton66 wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:

So does Ross Lyon.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

SENsaintsational wrote:
reincarnated wrote:
Milton66 wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:

.LIAR

Lance or James??

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
SENsaintsational wrote:
reincarnated wrote:
Milton66 wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:

.LIAR
.CLOWN

reincarnated

joffaboy wrote:
reincarnated wrote:
Milton66 wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:

So does Ross Lyon.
Good for him