In Dempster - out Eddy

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:
flyingwhale18 wrote:Dempster to go to Chapman and Johnson, rotating with Gilbert.
Not sure about that. We have named 6 defenders without Dempster. Dempster's replacing a small pressure forward, so I wouldn't be surprised to see him start up front. Either that or in the middle. If Goddard plays back it'll be dropping back as a loose man.

Baker/Byrnes - Dawson/Hawkins - Gilbert/Johnson
Blake/Chapman - S. Fisher/Mooney - R. Clarke/Varcoe

I probably don't have the right matchups (I never do), but I think it will be something like that.
Clearly in because of versatility, but primarily to either sneak forward himself or release Goddard or even Raph or Fisher at a pinch AND/OR to cover the fact that Geelong are one up on us in the midfielder's of quality stakes.

Astute selection. He'll do his job and go well.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
CaptainRiewoldt
Club Player

YES

PERFECT thank god rossy came to his senses. Dempster withg his big ripped body will take out some pussies!!!!

bad luck max but this aint local footy take the sad look of ya face you are still part of the team so help out dont sook

barneyboyz
Club Player

The Craw wrote:I have the utmost respect for Max but this is a GF FFS.

Max has played in too many games in which he has broken down with a hammy.

Sorry, no room sentiment must have a fit 22 out there.

I want this.....I this bad.

C'mon Saints just win the F***!n thing.
I agree with this too, however we are all just starting to find out just how much we want it and just what is required to get it....

the things that got Carlton and the Bombers so many flags is being brought to the Saints,

thankyou too R.L.

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dempster will play forward as a lead up forward and a defensive forward on their captain.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Ross has said on a number of occasions lately that the team more or less picks itself on performance.

So Eddy being dropped is fair enough (although I probably would have left him in): he was given two big chances and his form hasn't been great.

However, before he was dropped, Dempster's form was nothing to write home about (albeit that probably his best game of the season was against the Roos in Rd 21).

His selection has nothing to do with form: it's a leap of faith on the basis of past achievements: it beats me why some of you guys are excited about him coming in, but then I've never understood the cult of Sean on this forum.

On most recently-displayed form, Armitage deserved selection in Eddy's place, followed a fair way back by Gwilt, Dempster and Geary.

I'm somewhat disappointed that the choice has fallen on Dempster. To me, it's a sign of defensive thinking in a game when we cannot afford to be defensive.

We won't beat Geelong by trying to lock them down. The premiership-winning Swans were extremely lucky to do it in 2005, and the Cats have improved massively since then.

So, all in all, I wish it was Armo playing.

But, now I've said that, I hope Sean makes me eat my words by having a huge impact on Saturday.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
barneyboyz
Club Player

meher baba wrote:Ross has said on a number of occasions lately that the team more or less picks itself on performance.

So Eddy being dropped is fair enough (although I probably would have left him in): he was given two big chances and his form hasn't been great.

However, before he was dropped, Dempster's form was nothing to write home about (albeit that probably his best game of the season was against the Roos in Rd 21).

His selection has nothing to do with form: it's a leap of faith on the basis of past achievements: it beats me why some of you guys are excited about him coming in, but then I've never understood the cult of Sean on this forum.

On most recently-displayed form, Armitage deserved selection in Eddy's place, followed a fair way back by Gwilt, Dempster and Geary.

I'm somewhat disappointed that the choice has fallen on Dempster. To me, it's a sign of defensive thinking in a game when we cannot afford to be defensive.

We won't beat Geelong by trying to lock them down. The premiership-winning Swans were extremely lucky to do it in 2005, and the Cats have improved massively since then.

But, now I've said that, I hope Sean makes me eat my words by having a huge impact on Saturday.
Defensive on one hand as he is a "back", but attacking on the other as he helps free up attacking "backs" if needs be... I don't think Ross is thinking of the "lockdown" by this

Selection may not have been compleated yet at any rate...

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:Ross has said on a number of occasions lately that the team more or less picks itself on performance.

No way is Dempster a defensive selection. He can play defensively if need be of course, but he can also kick long, take a mark, bang a few bastards up and/or free up someone to pinch hit in the fwd 50.

Astute selection.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
mbogo
SS Hall of Fame

Let's say they are even but you want more "bulk" -
- at 192cm and 88K Dempster has 10cm on Eddy, and he is a similar size to Goddard!
- Special job?

This is a team game and there is no room for individuals who think they are above walking through the fire.
Milton66
SS Life Member

You really are obsessed with this whole Sydney /Ross Lyon /defensive thing aren't you.

Have you considered that Dempster may be a better match up for a player?

Gee, Armo played what... 3 games. So let's risk him in a GF. :roll:

Dempsters form has been ok and equal to Armo's or Eddy's.

Go with experience.

Yes, it's not the game to be defensive... but it's also not the game to experiment on inexperienced heads.

And who's to say that swapping Dempster for Eddy makes us more defensive? Like for like.

And you know that it's a leap of faith for a fact do you? Did Rosy call you and tell himself?

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
saintly
Saintsational Legend

philip wrote:happy to trust the selection committee but max should have been made an emergency in stead of gwilt, and whilst i think there is huge upside for rob eddy the writing was on the wall three games back, which was when the club should have stuck with dempster!

philip
doubt that max would have wanted to be emergency . look at how he acted in the rooms against collingwood. he was shattered.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

barneyboyz wrote:
The Craw wrote:I have the utmost respect for Max but this is a GF FFS.

Max has played in too many games in which he has broken down with a hammy.

Sorry, no room sentiment must have a fit 22 out there.

I want this.....I this bad.

C'mon Saints just win the F***!n thing.
I agree with this too, however we are all just starting to find out just how much we want it and just what is required to get it....

the things that got Carlton and the Bombers so many flags is being brought to the Saints,

thankyou too R.L.
an yes i agree with this too.

can't trust that hudgeton will play the whole game . has only played 7 games, and none in the past 4 weeks. too much risk.

sorry no room for sentiment.

if we lose the game (god forbid) it woit will be that on the day the cats were better. it won't be becuase we were sentimental and picked players becuase it wa there last game. you might also say that for maguire.

still stuck on 99 games may be off to another club next year.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Milton66 wrote:You really are obsessed with this whole Sydney /Ross Lyon /defensive thing aren't you.
Well, not really: Dempster is a highly defensive player who, like Ross Lyon, came to the club from Sydney. So there is a degree of relevance, I would have thought. Lyon continues to think highly of Dempster because of what he saw him do at the Swans: and what Dempster did at the Swans was bottle up opponents.
Have you considered that Dempster may be a better match up for a player?
Which one?
Gee, Armo played what... 3 games. So let's risk him in a GF. :roll:
Dempster only played a handful more than 3, there isn't much in it, surely
Dempsters form has been ok and equal to Armo's or Eddy's.
Eddy was pretty poor in the last two games but, before that, I would have said his form was marginally better than Dempster's: remember, Dempster was dropped and Eddy wasn't.

Armo's form was way better in the first and third game he played (he was a bit ordinary in the second).
Go with experience.
I thought Lyon was going with form. Otherwise, why is Zac playing instead of Max?
And who's to say that swapping Dempster for Eddy makes us more defensive? Like for like.
Except that Eddy goes hard at the ball and the ball carrier and, except last week, usually makes lots of tackles and gets some turnovers.
And you know that it's a leap of faith for a fact do you? Did Rosy call you and tell himself?
A selection of a player for a GF on past performance rather than recent form - something that happens not infrequently - is always a leap of faith. In my recollection, such selections in GFs come off less often than not.

All that said, I still think Dempster for Eddy is a reasonable call: better than Geary and marginally better than Gwilt.

I just think Armo would have been a better call: a more attacking, aggressive sort of call. That's all.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Milton66
SS Life Member

Have you ever considered that on current form of thebottom 3, Dempster is the best available?

See, once again, what p1sses me off is that you state your opinions as fact.

I'd think that Lyon has also seen enough of Dempster at the Saints, and IIRC he did play fwd recently.

There is zero relevance that RL and Demp both came from Sydney whatsoever.

You have no idea why Demspetr was picked, and I don't either.

But you state it as fact that it's a leap of faith.

Still, that's why RL is senior coach and you just spend the day playing with your doodle... thinking you know best.

As JB said, you are a sad sack, mate. You somehow seem to find a negative in every positive.

Like I said, it's an obsession with you.

Unforgiven
SS Life Member

I think Dempster is the inclusion out of all the other options. Dempster has 9 games this season to Armo's 3. He has the most experience and Grand Final experience, bar Max.

The main point is his versitile. While I don't know his specific position or role this weekend, it could be anything from a half forward lead up player, to a run with defensive tagger, or playing as a pure backman. God forbid if we get an injury, at least Dempster is there who can do the job.

Eddy has the specific forward pressure roll, and didn't capitile on his 2 games. Eddy's time will come, but Dempsters time is now.

Carpe Diem
Milton66
SS Life Member

No no... according to MB, despite the dropping of Dal, Milne, Gram and Ball, RL is picking someone based on past reputation... despite clear evidence that past reputation counts for nothing.

But to continue his logic, Max and Goose would also be picked.

PJ
SS Life Member

A selection of a player for a GF on past performance rather than recent form
I don't think you can actually make that call given you don't know why he was selected. I thought his form was pretty reasonable. Interestingly I just listened to an interview with GT on Adelaide radio where he thought dempster was an absolute steal for St.Kilda and a great acquisition. Good old GT ya gotta luv the former coach doncha?

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
Milton66
SS Life Member

PJ wrote:
I don't think you can actually make that call given you don't know why he was selected. I thought his form was pretty reasonable. Interestingly I just listened to an interview with GT on Adelaide radio where he thought dempster was an absolute steal for St.Kilda and a great acquisition. Good old GT ya gotta luv the former coach doncha?
LOL... in that case, Dempster is the best selection coz GT endorses it.

In fact, he was calling for Dempster to play against the Dogs.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

play the ball and not the man

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

I think some may be forgetting that the Cats Team is quite different from either the Dogs or Pies.

The Cats are taller and heavier...

Dempster is a bigger unit than Eddy.

Add to this that he is:

* more experienced...including with GF experience
* more versatile (back, tag or third forward)

If one of the Cats mids are running riot or Jones is going badly on Gablett Dempster might be called upon to tag.

On the Con side his last few games were not of the same standard pre-injury. But Eddy was wilting.

He provides more options that Gwilt while still having a booming kick.

Armo is good offensively....but his defensive game is poor...and against the Cats where constant pressure is required this could hurt. With Armo the player he was actually fighting for a spot in the team with was Like Ball.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
squiz
Club Player

All this fuss over the last selected player.
But a win will probably have more to do with how
Gram Gilbert Ray Raphael and Ball play.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Milton66 wrote:As JB said, you are a sad sack, mate. You somehow seem to find a negative in every positive.

Like I said, it's an obsession with you.
Nope. In this instance, I find a negative in what I see as a negative. I think Dempster was an inferior selection to Armo. I never thought all that much of the pre-2009 Dempster, but I accept that he has played in 2 GFs and must be able to do something that I can't assess properly.

In 2009, Dempster has not been in good form. I think Ross Lyon agrees with me about this, because he dropped him from the team after Rd 22. I deduce (although I could be wrong) that Lyon had decided that Eddy would be a better option for the finals, but Eddy has let him down. So he's gone for Dempster, knowing that he was recently in poor form, but hoping that in a big game he can recapture some of what he showed in 2005-06.

I call this form of thinking a "leap of faith": because it is based on something other than recent form. If a decision had been made to play Max in the GF, this would have been a similar "leap of faith". I think another example was the decision to bring back Raph for Rd 14 against the Cats, which paid off.

It's just my opinion, which I state in a forthright manner like many others on here.

Which is why I find this comment of yours to be rather ridiculous.
See, once again, what p1sses me off is that you state your opinions as fact.
Clearly I will have to start using IMO more often.

- Jonathan Swift
saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

Agree with the selection..tough on Eddy but he is in development..need a versatile hardnut that has been there..Dempster fits the bill.Geary the most unlucky in my view..many years to make up for it.

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:
I don't think you can actually make that call given you don't know why he was selected.
Yes I can, because he was dropped after Rd 22. I assume that this was because of poor form. He hasn't had the opportunity to demonstrate any form since then. So I assume that a major factor in his selection is the fact that it is known that he can play much better than he has so far this season.
I thought his form was pretty reasonable.

8 games, 2 goals, 3 behinds, 1 goal assist, averaging 12 disposals, 4.5 marks and 3 tackles per game.

He may have done well at tagging in some of the 8 games - it's difficult to tell - but the only one that anyone on here has given him credit for was in Rd 19 against Luke Hodge: who got 24 disposals in that game!!

As I have said before, there must be some highly positive aspect to the way he plays which I am unable to detect.

- Jonathan Swift
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:
PJ wrote:
I don't think you can actually make that call given you don't know why he was selected.
Yes I can, because he was dropped after Rd 22. I assume that this was because of poor form. He hasn't had the opportunity to demonstrate any form since then. So I assume that a major factor in his selection is the fact that it is known that he can play much better than he has so far this season.
I thought his form was pretty reasonable.

8 games, 2 goals, 3 behinds, 1 goal assist, averaging 12 disposals, 4.5 marks and 3 tackles per game.

He may have done well at tagging in some of the 8 games - it's difficult to tell - but the only one that anyone on here has given him credit for was in Rd 19 against Luke Hodge: who got 24 disposals in that game!!

As I have said before, there must be some highly positive aspect to the way he plays which I am unable to detect.
Thank you linesmen, thank you ball boys 8-)

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
lefty
Club Player

Knew he'd choose Dempster, RL loves him, probably the right decision in the end I guess... he is fairly solid, can play alot of roles and kick goals. Still his last game was a shocker and did jack all, so its a worry picking someone with "experience" who hasn't had the "wow" factor this year.

Still think Armo missed by the smallest margin, he would of been next in line imo, it was just between him and Dempster as Geary is a bit thin, and Gwilt was probably to big/tall for a wet day.

Keep in there armo, your a gun, most supporters notice it too. Extended your contract already please! :D

Just love how he goes in hard, head down all the time, gets free's, kicks goals, argh so unlucky to not be picked imo... I think being injured at the start of the year was costly for him :(