The self indulgent Grand Final week post.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigred
Saintsational Legend

The self indulgent Grand Final week post.

How much does this mean to everyone?

All of us have our stories, our beginnings and our reasons for being a St Kilda supporter. Some have been baptised through family. Some have arrived on these shores and had it thrust upon them. For most of us, there was never a choice. Never any other option. It is in your blood.

I, like many, was born into it. Again, like many of us, I received my football education during some very, very dark days. I think it is fair to say that I have been to around 700 games and during that mission, I have witnessed some of the worst football teams ever assembled.

The nineteen eightees were the darkest of dark days. Yet, I think that is why I am still here. Still believing and still pushing for what has been denied all of my generation and all those since.

I have vivid memories of standing in the Moorabbin outer, between the scoreboard and timeclock, watching our team play on a mud heap. Regardless, there is something about that place that will never fade. Unlike the demolished grandstands and the bulldozed terraces, there is a spirit to that ground which will be with me until the day I die.

During the eighties, each win was like a premiership. I have clear memories of the grandstand rising as one as something happened. Greg Burns running through the middle, legs going 100 miles per hour. Joffa running up the members wing. And of course Barks. Trevor Barker beating all comers.

We had to single out heroes. We just never had the team. Individual champions, we have had many. Too many. Our Team of the century would best almost any from all the other clubs. The only thing lacking for almost all of them, was the ultimate. So few got to play in great teams.

Of course we have sniffed at success. Almost came to within a quarter of football from the cup in ninety seven. Only to have it ripped away. The early nineties brought about a good side. Plugger, Banger, Burkie, Stewie and Nicky. Again some substantial individuals that never completed the mission.

Which leads us into this decade, which started as bad as it had ever been. Another spoon, and a couple of fifteenth place finishes got us into some decent player drafts and we came close. A couple of Preliminary final losses, just to break some more hearts. But we were never really quite good enough.

And here we are. 2009. The best performed St Kilda side ever to step foot on the park. Twenty Home and Away wins, and two strategic losses by less than a kick. Ridiculously good home and away season. The kind of season that never happens to St Kilda. Always the other clubs, the Carltons, the Essendons....Never St Kilda.

Two good finals wins. A Qualifier, and then a Prelim. Against decent opposition. And we are in the second Grand Final of my lifetime. Of course, the 2009 team has some fantastic individual performers, like most St Kilda teams. The difference this year, is that they are all playing in a very, very good team. This is the best St Kilda team of my life.

We have two hours of football left to play. This mission is almost complete. One more win. One more win. We follow football to get ourselves into this position. We, unlike most others, have had many less opportunities. We need to take this one.

This week has been more emotional than nervous for me. We have to finish something here. Bring about the realisation of the dream that so many of us have been chasing, and defending for so long. It is time. It is time.

At about ten past five on Saturday afternoon, you might hear something on the wind if your down Moorabbin way. The ghosts of forty three St Kilda's past might just let you know all about it.

Go Saints. One more.
Last edited by bigred on Fri 25 Sep 2009 12:41am, edited 1 time in total.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

I love it Bigred! That's what's called a warcry everyone!

GO SAINTS!

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
Joffa 5
Club Player

The hairs on my body all stood up, great post Bigred.

Come on you mighty SAINTERS!

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Have been near tears about 6 times this week already!

Thanks for number 7 mate!

Well written, sums things up perfectly

claystreet
Club Player

Great post big red, i am down Moorabbin way and want those ghosts to keep me up for a week.

I was there every home game and most away games for decades, all through the 80's you could smell the mud from my house, you could smell the pies and the chips. I would go over half way through the seconds and take my spot near the BBQ on the outter next to the wooden pole that still stands today then run back an forwards up and down the hill to stock up on cans of VB.

I have loved this club since i was a boy and used to watch them play at the junction oval or catch a train and go to Victoria Park and stand amongst the filth and let fly. I wore a Saints jumper to my new school and had it taken off me for not being in uniform. It was Elwood Primary School and made to stand in front of the school as a punishment. Saturdays i would walk from near St Kilda to Moorabbin to watch them play. It was ironic i lived at Moorabbin and they played at the Junction we moved near St Kilda and they moved to Moorabbin 2 decades later i lived back behind the ground and watched it all the training the Social Club fights the SAints disco wow so much has gone by and here we sit waiting for the final siren to bring the boys and the fans the untlimate victory.

In the 66 season a month before the Granny disaster struck i was moved to NSW and as an 11yo i was broken. A tiny snippett in a local paper showed we had won by a point, i was walking up a hill towrd my new school when i read it and to this day can remember how broken hearted i was not to be there.

Ahhh too much sentiment going on i need to take a walk lol

CARN THE SAINTS!!!!!

ThePunter
Club Player

I'm an Elwood Primary Boy as well. Just a bit younger I feel (1985-1991).

cowboy18
Saintsational Legend

Elwood Primary too! (1971-1977)

Saints jumpers were acceptable wear then.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

cowboy18 wrote:Elwood Primary too! (1971-1977)

elwood primary (1970-1972? i think born in 63, went to elwood primary or central for grades 3 & 4)? i think

starsign
Club Player

Great post Bigfella
Will miss not having that pregame gargle with you M*!

Mine saga would have to be written up in episodes

But for those that haven't read the best bit of it before....briefly ....

I went in '66 as a 21 YO with my dad , an Aussie Digger who cried on the siren! never before or after did I ever see it!
When I asked him WHY? he said I only wish My father, your Pa hadda lived to see this day son!!!

(Pa had a grocers shop not far from the Junction oval and died at 94 never to witness a flag He used to take dad to see them each week , like mine did for me)

SO it's PA nil...

My dad ONE Flag...

and I'm going to see TWO before I snuff it to keep the sequence rolling

claystreet
Club Player

i was there for grades 4and 5 i think, played footy for em too lol

We used to train across the rd on that paddock they called an oval next to the bubs part of the school. I lived in Glenhuntly rd down the beach end it and then closer to Stkilda near now where the marina is, just across from there, and it would have been 1964-66. Used to know all the drains and lanes backwards and would hang around St Moritz and Luna Park on weekends. Oh to be a kid again haha

Its small world lol

Milton66
SS Life Member

saintly wrote:
cowboy18 wrote:Elwood Primary too! (1971-1977)

elwood primary (1970-1972? i think born in 63, went to elwood primary or central for grades 3 & 4)? i think
St Columba's down Glenhuntly Rd, then Elwood high.

1970 onwards.

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
Milton66
SS Life Member

claystreet wrote:i was there for grades 4and 5 i think, played footy for em too lol

We used to train across the rd on that paddock they called an oval next to the bubs part of the school. I lived in Glenhuntly rd down the beach end it and then closer to Stkilda near now where the marina is, just across from there, and it would have been 1964-66. Used to know all the drains and lanes backwards and would hang around St Moritz and Luna Park on weekends. Oh to be a kid again haha

Its small world lol
LOL, St Moritz.. My big bro was a skater there.

We did Luna Park, and Coney Island? Where the car park is.. pool, pinnies etc.

claystreet
Club Player

Used to ride my skateboard in St Columba's, these were the 1st skateboards ever haha i also used to walk past the high school everyday on my way to school. Elwood sure has changed since those days.

claystreet
Club Player

COney Island i think we called Mini Luna Park they had a mad mouse there and heaps of amusements

Milton66
SS Life Member

claystreet wrote:Used to ride my skateboard in St Columba's, these were the 1st skateboards ever haha i also used to walk past the high school everyday on my way to school. Elwood sure has changed since those days.
Sure has. I grew up in Ruskin St. Never had a skateboard, but a mate and me broke a few wheels and forks riding down the brown timber stairs.

The early skateboards as I recall, a neighbour has one that had like round discs on the top for grip. And there were a particluar brand of wheels (tracks, trucks?).

Milton66
SS Life Member

claystreet wrote:COney Island i think we called Mini Luna Park they had a mad mouse there and heaps of amusements
NAg this was later. No rides, just an amusement arcade.

Milton66
SS Life Member

claystreet wrote:COney Island i think we called Mini Luna Park they had a mad mouse there and heaps of amusements
Nah, this was later. No rides, just an amusement hall.

claystreet
Club Player

Skateboard was Bought in Glenhuntly for 2pounds 2 shillings a present from me dad who was a merchant seaman then i went to the Pictures in Glenhuntly straight after haha great times. Rode that board all the way to Moorabbin and back a few times

kaos theory
Club Player

Well said red.

I feel better about this year, than 97, when we were hot favourites.

I too can remember many years of failures and dark days down at moorabbin, punctuated with small moments of joy.

But this year has been amazing....incredible performance. They are a very different type of team to 97......Too many are writing us off too early....

We are on, and we are going to be all over these cats.....

Jimmy1972
Club Player

I will be listening to this

And then this

And this one is for Geelong, with lyrics :o

saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

Just an example of why I rate the redstar very highly 8-) ...you are a genuine St.Kilda tragic ...there are quite of few us here and your post simply taps into the passion and pain that we all share....

Well said mate and as much as I want us to achieve the ultimate this weekend for the players and coaches involved it is also for the heart and soul of the club..the supporters of which you are one...

If guts,loyalty and passion counts at all...

we are half way home surely :shock:

Keep the faith peoples :twisted:

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

bloody hell bigred did you say it or what?!

Helluva post!

Skinny

Love your work Big Red, I understand your passion.

I don't see too many games live...maybe 50 in the time that you have seen 700.

I live in an area of around 50,000 people,600k's from Melbourne and I reckon i know all of the Saints supporters by their first name....unfortunately the Pies,Blues,Dons and Cats supporters are everywhere...like fleas on a dog.

Have always copped plenty,as we all no doubt have...but I believe we are so close and maybe this is our time.

Go Saints!!!

Mark
Club Player

Great post Bigred. I started barracking for the Saints when we moved from Brisbane to Bentleigh in 1967. I was 7 years old at the time trying to fit in at West Bentleigh Primary School. Every birthday since then I have wished to see the Saints win the flag. Later this year I turn 50 and I hope my Birthday wish may finally come true!.

P.S My Avatar comes from a poster I "won" on the Kevin Dennis Footy Show in 1968.Barracking for the Saints has been a big part of my life.

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Brilliant post BR.

... but wasnt it 20 H&A wins? :)