Why do we get so emotional

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Why do we get so emotional

You know, I've been thinking for a good part of the year in regards why we are so emotionally attached to this football team.
I am safe to assume that we all have friends, or relatives who comment when we get upset about a loss, "It's only a game"
How often have we heard that, and though it may in essence be true, we know it isn't just a game.
We are all going to feel emotions of pride and joy when we see them run out on Saturday, pinching ourselves, are we really here.
If we win, well as I've said before there will be a huge out pouring of emotion from all of us.
So what is it about sport that makes us so passionate, what makes you love it, what makes it such a big part of your life.
This feeling is world wide over just about all major team sports, you see the passion of the supporters in every country where team sports are played.
One image that has really been burnt into my memory on the emotion that sports can bring comes from the 1986 FA Cup final, which I'm sure Jiggster remembers fondly because Everton won.
But Everton's opponent that day was Watford, which at the time was owned by Elton John who had followed the club from as early as he could remember.
Before the FA Cup there is a tradional hymn sung "Abide by Me" and the cameras focused on Elton John, now here was a guy who has performed in front of crowds as big as that FA Cup crowd, had won Grammys and countless awards, but he could barely sing the song.
The emotion of seeing his beloved Watford in an FA CUp was too much for him and the tears we're streaming from his eyes.
It was when it came time to sing that song, that realisation that his dream was a reality and that's when the emotion poured out.
No doubt for some of us, this will happen Saturday, we've all dreamed of St.Kilda in a Grand Final and now it's real and should we win, we will all feel an emotion we've never felt before.
For me, it will probably be as close as I will get to how an athlete feels winning an Olympic Gold Medal.
So, let's all enjoy the day, let's enjoy the emotion and I have a good feeling, a very good feeling we may enjoy this very special emotion.
WINNING!!!!!

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
Voyager
Club Player

Beautiful mate...Thank you for your post...This is so true..I, and pretty sure some others, will remember all those black years, those great players we've seen along the years and the joy they've brought to us in every game, Harvs, Loewe, Aussie Jones, etc. When you remember those times, some tears will flow on Saturday and even tomorrow during the Parade. This is the day that we've been waiting for so long that nothing should be hidden, certainly not the emotion.

Well said mate, and once again thank you for your post ;)

Fortius Quo Fidelius.