SEN Brock Mclean to Blues for pick 11

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

it's an in principle agreement that is subject to a medical and it can't be ratified until trade week..if it's worked out now they can lodge the paperwork as soon as trade week starts....

smart operating really......nothing wrong with being proactive...

Six debutants for the Saints so far in Season 2024. :D
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Sainterman wrote:I actually find this all a little odd...have we ever had a player traded before the trade period even begins? Wouldn't Melbourne at least sit down with the other clubs and see what else might have been on offer? What if a club further down the ladder was happy to offer more...

Strange if you ask me, and then to release the statement prior to trade week?

Maybe it is just me, but seems odd. Funny how it always involves Carlscum.
Well Jeannie Pratt's available. Maybe he's contemplating a bit of a crack at some inherited wealth.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Unforgiven
SS Life Member

Batnoe wrote:Schneider never wanted to be traded and he was, so you never have to want to go to a new home

This must mean that Hadley really is on the move, he may not get a gig with Brock in the line up, i wouldnt mind Hadley...

And again, their backline is the worst so why they arent stocking up there they are idiots
Yeah there backline is weak, but the missed a few players from it this year.

HB: P.Bower, J. Waite, A.Walker
B: Jameison, Thornton, C.Johnson

Walker is a class player who is injury riddled, and Waite is a decent CHB.

If they load up in the middle, and have a half decent forward line, that strength in the middle can take a lot of pressure off the not to star studded backline...

E.g Hawthorn 2008, sure Croad was decent at CHB, but apart from that it was just a good unit, not made of awsome players.

Carpe Diem
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Trade done NOW?

Paperwork submitted at the start of trade week?

All within the rules? !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:Trade done NOW?

Paperwork submitted at the start of trade week?

All within the rules? !!
Yes deals can be done in advance of trade week.

just that the deal cannot be completed till trade week.

We the draft being reputedly so week after the first dozen I am expecting a record number of trades this year.

Hall to the Dogs will occur.

Lovett will not be at Essendon next year (caveat: The Dons are such arsholes to do deals with it may fall through).

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Hall would have solved the Dogs problems 5 years ago, but he will be a liability this year.
I'd be looking for better options.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
Unforgiven
SS Life Member

3rd generation saint wrote:Hall would have solved the Dogs problems 5 years ago, but he will be a liability this year.
Their premiership window is now, 2 prelims in a row. They need a proven performers, someone experienced. Not too many options out there at such a cheap cost.

Carpe Diem
plumtire
Club Player

Yeah just what the Blues need a boofhead boozer to match up with Fev!

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Last time a player jumped off a sinking ship to join a team with a promising future it was Peter Everitt.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Re: SEN Brock Mclean to Blues for pick 11

saintsRrising wrote:Evidently first trade done according SEN.

Press Release from the Dees.
I thought the Raines deal (to Bris for third round pick) had already been agreed? That would make this one the second.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

3rd generation saint wrote:Hall would have solved the Dogs problems 5 years ago, but he will be a liability this year.
Err like whom?

As far as I know Hall is the only key forward going that is ready to play next year that may be available.

No other key forward is available.

Aka, Johnno, Egleton...don't have much time left.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:Evidently first trade done according SEN.

Press Release from the Dees.
I thought the Raines deal (to Bris for third round pick) had already been agreed? That would make this one the second.
True..but I am not sure if the exact pick as been agreed too.

But yes it reinforces that this year that a lot of trades will be done.

Tuck from Richmond will most likely find a new home too.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:But yes it reinforces that this year that a lot of trades will be done.
Yep, fer sure.

Tuck, Burgoyne, Hall, McLean, Seaby, Lovett, Spangher, Gibson, Peake, Staker - it's all happening much earlier than previous years.

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
St Fidelius wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
St Fidelius wrote:
reincarnated wrote:Typical player not keen to put in the hard yards to achieve success at the one club

Soft decision from Brock. Future captains of clubs do not leave regardless of the situation. Everyone wants success and it is a tad obvious that without anything resembling a backline Carlton will not achieve greatness any time soon
Do you actually know that Brock wanted to be traded?
Why would he go if he didnt want to?
What the...

Our Club wanted to trade Milne not long ago, did he want to be traded??
Did he get traded? i thought he plays for us still.
In fairness it was our former coach that wanted to trade Milne.

I read an article that said a trade was organised with Bombers for a 3rd or 4th round pick. Apparently the deal was done already until Ross Lyon stepped in as coach and (thankfully) scrapped the trade

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

I reckon we might have missed out on one with McLean.

I think if we'd picked him up we could've had a good go a molding him into the new Sammy Hamill. The only thing he lacks is a little bit of height (184cm) and marking ability, but on everything else he's a pretty good fit.

Think about it. He's 22/23, which is an age bracket where we don't have many players. He's a strong tackler, which fits our trademark well. He's a pretty good goalkicker - 14.4 in 2006, 7.1 this year. And he knows how to find the ball.

The only downside is personality and discipline, but a strong group at St Kilda could keep him in line.

The more I think about it, the more disappointed I am.

saint vince
Club Player

I rekon the Dees did alright out of this. They now have three pick in the top 12. Good on them. Carlton can have him I rekon. Would prefer pick 11 than Mclean.

mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

weak draft pick 11 and they lost essentially their best player they did terrible hard times ahead and a long road ahead for demons.

He was a pick 5 and is now hitting his peak and he asks for a trade what a mercenary...And they get a pick 11 in a weak draft how the hell did melbourne do well when they have nurtured him and he leaves when they were going to reap the benefits.

Is in the top 10 22-24 years olds....

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

I think it's a good trade, a WIN WIN...

Stevens gone from Carlton, they get another good midfielder to compliment Murphy, Judd, Gibbs etc. The Blues will be vastly better next season with McLean, Jamison & Waite all in the side.

The Dees get another first rounder to either use or trade after picking up Scully & Trengove...they'll be flying in 3 or 4 years with some astute trades & picks.

TimPekin'sDirtyGuernsey
Club Player

mightysainters wrote:weak draft pick 11 and they lost essentially their best player they did terrible hard times ahead and a long road ahead for demons.

He was a pick 5 and is now hitting his peak and he asks for a trade what a mercenary...And they get a pick 11 in a weak draft how the hell did melbourne do well when they have nurtured him and he leaves when they were going to reap the benefits.
Spot on. So much for trying to become one of Melbourne's "leaders" on and off the field.

Anyway, McLean's a first rate d1ckhead in person anyway. Will fit in well with Carlton's culture.

Looks like Fev's gonna have a new best bud down down at Carlton.

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

saint vince wrote:I rekon the Dees did alright out of this. They now have three pick in the top 12. Good on them. Carlton can have him I rekon. Would prefer pick 11 than Mclean.
They sure did, McLean is a wombat

I love this club