"KEY MATCHUPS" - selection table

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

elphie
Club Player

"KEY MATCHUPS" - selection table

here are the drooling match-ups:

B> STK: BAKER DAWSON GILBERT
GEEL: VARCOE HAWKINS JOHNSON

HB> STK: FISHER BLAKE GRAM
GEEL: ROOKE (tag) MOONEY CHAPMAN

C> STK: RAY HAYES MONTAGNA
GEEL: COREY LING (tag) BARTEL

HF> STK: MCQUALTER (tag) RIEWOLDT GODDARD
GEEL: MACKIE TAYLOR ENRIGHT

F> STK: MILNE KOSCHITZKE SCHNEIDER
GEEL: KELLY SCARLETT HARLEY

FOLL> STK: KING DAL SANTO JONES (tag)
GEEL:BLAKE SELWOOD ABLETT

I/C> STK:GARDINER BALL CLARKE EDDY
GEEL:OTTENS BYRNES WOJCINSKI MILBURN

of course, match-ups change throughout the game with rotations and so on but when the first ball bounces someone stands next to someone.

nb: seems like the small forwards on both sides don't have clear match-ups!
ANY MATCH-UPS CAN'T WAIT TO SEE?

spyglass
Club Player

I'm confident based on those lineups. But there is no way I would want to see Gram on Chapman

west57
Club Player

If Gram is to play on Chapman, he MUST take every opportunity to get him away from their attacking 50, make him accountable when Gram goes forward, and above all, be DAMAGING with his disposal which is something he has not done in the last 2 finals. As we all know, Chapman is a very, very dangerous player who can kick goals from absolutely anywhere near the 50m arc.

Steve Johnson is also bloody dangerous for them. I just hope we can lay the crunching tackles that actually stick that we've been doing most of the year and have defined our season, but just not in the last few weeks. That was the key to our victory against them in Round 14 when we were at the peak of our form.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Pretty good job Eel.

I'd like to see Ball run with Selwood.

Gilbert should get Stevie J but that could be a nightmare for us if he takes him deep and isolates him one out.

Baker could take Chapman who is not overly fast given the inclement weather conditions could reduce Chapman’s significant superior aerial ability.

My opinion is we’ll see Dempster come in for Eddy as he could play forward defensive on Mackie, Enright or Corey whoever is the floater and could also go back on Johnson, Chapman, Byrnes or Varcoe if any of them are firing.

I hope Ross has told “The Big Showâ€

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
redwhite&blackblood
SS Hall of Fame

I would like to see someone on Chappy. he never has an opponent and is there get out of jail card. man him up and man up Yabblett and we will do fine.

Bleeding Red, Black and White for 38 years!
Life Motto - Fortius Quo Fidelius
Raph "Cult Hero" Clarke Fan Club.
elphie
Club Player

i hear you all about the worry of GRAM on CHAPMAN but who else is available. does BAKES have the height and GRAM the legspeed on VAROCE/STOKES if that's the case?
how many GILBERTS can we have in our team?
we shouldn't concern ourselves as CATS have bigger task with who to match-up on MILNEY and SCHNEIDS ?????
love to see HARLEY on one of them as he's done before surprisingly!
"GO SAINTS"

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

I reckon Dempster will come in and go straight to Chapman to negate and run off if he can. Big job, but big job's needed. Chapman is explosive but Dempster is a terrific endurance athlete.

Jones to Ablett the only other hard tag.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'