Another GT "Gem"... I agree 100%!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
reincarnated wrote: How did Eade out-coach Lyon if we won?

Surely a by-product of the proclaimed 'out-coaching' is a win for the team that possess the coach that performs the 'out-coaching'?

So infact Eade has been shown up as having the ability to do a few good things to put an opposition off their usual tempo however does not have the ability to keep the fresh moves/changes/ideas flowing as the games gets deeper and deeper
Apparently you have outcoached the opposition if you score 7-11 in a PF, with four of those goals after qtr time, and no goals in the last 25 minutes of play.

He outcoached Lyon so badly on Friday night that he got himself an extra weeks holiday.

Outcoached. Pfft.

Have yet to see any evidence for this "outcoaching".
I stand by my "outcoached" comment.

Eade found a way to render our usual gameplan ineffective for enough of the match to give the Bulldogs a big chance of winning the game. If their forwards and running midfielders had taken their chances better (remember, they had 17 more inside 50s than us and ended up kicking 7-9 to our 9-6), they'd have won for sure.

He neutralised some of our key attacking weapons: our small forwards delivered little and were not generally able to tie up the Dogs when they were bringing the ball out of defence. Whereas the Dogs were great at tackling us and getting turnovers or stopping our run out of defence.

When we were able to make it extremely hard for us to get the ball into our 50: and, when we did manage it, Lake and Morris and the rest did extremely well at keeping our forward line quiet: they only kicked 6 goals between them (and one of those was the controversial Riewoldt free kick which didn't involve any actual forward play).

It was a fantastic effort from a team with, on paper, considerably less talent across the board than us (eg, they had only one player - Boyd - in the top 20 Brownlow vote winners this year, as opposed to our 5).

It was a coordinated effort from their entire 22 players: in this sort of situation I tend to give credit to the coach. I reckon it was an above-average tactical and match-day coaching performance by Eade.

Lyon, on the other hand, did what any coach would have done in his situation: prepare the team to play exactly the way it has been playing all season, and rely upon our experience in playing that way for 4 quarters and our superior overall talent to get us over the line, which it did just.

It seemed to me that Lyon started to experiment with matchups a bit during the second quarter (eg, Goddard on Hahn, Dawson up forward) in a way that didn't work too well. I wondered at the time if he was starting to panic, although I'm not too sure. After half-time, he seemed to go back to basics, and that - along with a dollop of good fortune - got us home.

I accept that it isn't particularly easy to judge one coach's performance against that of his opponent other than by looking at whose team won the game. So I can understand why some of you are puzzled/scornful of the idea that a losing coach could ever outcoach his opponent: although why the idea has to generate such vitriol from among some of the more unbalanced posters on here, I simply don't understand.

Anyway, I take the view that - if a coach can, through his tactical nous, get his team to perform significantly better against their opponents than would appear to be possible on paper - he might be said to have "outcoached" his opponent on the day. That's my opinion, and I'm sticking to it. I don't mind that others have different opinions, and I don't feel the need to attack them for having them.

P.S. Any poster who reads through the last 4 or so pages of this thread and can't come up with a highly likely hypothesis as to the true identity of Reincarnated isn't paying enough attention. And it certainly isn't SP2008.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Didn't read the above but just posted to say well done mb on getting this thread to 46 pages.

7-11 is a convienent store not a score posted by any team who coach has outcoached the other :wink:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

MB, thanks for finally posting your reasoning on the 'outcoaching' question. I amy not agree with your reasoning but I am genuinely trying to understand that basis of your comments.

I think if you asked Eade and his match committee they would not describe their team as vastly inferior to us 'on paper'. They obviously have different strengths and weaknesses compared to other teams (including us) but they finished third last saeson after the H&A (against our 4th) and again this season. We seemed to improve more than tehm this season.
They lost a game to Geelong with a kick after the siren and then beat them the next time.
They lost the first final to Geelong by 14 points in another wasteful performance in front of goal.

Did Eade outcoach Bummer in the first final this year?

Are Geelong a far superior list than WB 'on paper'?

Milton66
SS Life Member

MB = .WAYTOOSERIOUS

Methinks too many pictures of naked male politicians.

Not from Tassie by any chance? :lol:

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Milton66 wrote:MB = .WAYTOOSERIOUS

Methinks too many pictures of naked male politicians.

Not from Tassie by any chance? :lol:
Pictures of Tasmania?
I must have missed them. Which pages are they on?

matrix
Saintsational Legend

no maps of tassie but i think there might be a few twin islands in the JLH thread in general

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:MB, thanks for finally posting your reasoning on the 'outcoaching' question. I amy not agree with your reasoning but I am genuinely trying to understand that basis of your comments.
I'm genuinely not trying to understand. Way too hard.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:MB, thanks for finally posting your reasoning on the 'outcoaching' question. I amy not agree with your reasoning but I am genuinely trying to understand that basis of your comments.
Way to thought out as well.

Just easier to call mb a GT lover and that he is wrong without offering any alternate argument.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:
I accept that not everyone sees things the same way I do, and whilst I personally think the statement is nonsense, I want to understand the reasoning so that I can determine if I'm wrong or not.
I have a 'sneaking suspicion' that MB's view is tainted by a failure to fully embrace RL as our coach (whatever the reasons) and therefore he 'marks' him harder than he probably should. But that view of mine may well be my own bias - I don't know?
Hence my requests for more information in an attempt to more fully understand the reasoning behind the statement.

Milton66
SS Life Member

A coach who can discipline his team to stick to their plan in the face of relentless opposition pressure and tactics... is never out coached.

If you credit Eade with getting his 22 to play as they did, then you have to credit Lyon for the same thing.

I'd say that Eade went in with a few surprises.

I think you also underrate the Doggies this year.

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
st.byron wrote:

Just easier to call mb a GT lover and that he is wrong without offering any alternate argument.

Works for me. Much more entertaining.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
st.byron wrote:

I understand what you are saying but within the frivolity contained in this thread, there actually are some 'serious' questions/thoughts as well.
Last edited by Mr Magic on Wed 23 Sep 2009 5:01pm, edited 1 time in total.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

After reading through this complete thread i have come to the conclusion that GT is a better coach than RL but GT was very unlucky.

shmic_s
Club Player

i believe people make their own luck.....

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

I saw an interview with a UFC fighter by the name of Brock Lesner.

He got rolled in the heavywieght titel fight against Frank Mir.

Anyway, he was saying that in the rematch the advantage really lies with the bloke who got beaten first time around.

It was an interesting point, His reasoning was that you get an insight into how to beat them, and an insight into how they beat you.

You correct the areas they beat you in, and it narrows the gap.

For the guy who won first time around, what do they do to improve? What do they focus on the second time around?

Anyway, he beat the shiit out of Mir and is now the heavyweight champ of the UFC.

Back to the footy.....Aker was talking on Nova the morning after we rolled them by 40 points. It was the second time we beat them and Aker was saying that he just hoped they had another crack at us because each time they'd played us they'd got a little extra insight into us, and they thought they knew where they'd gone wrong.

If you can keep the mental side of things in check, it makes sense that the tactical advantage lies with the Dogs the 3rd time we meet them.
I don't think the fact that Eade shut down certain things of ours is really that much to warrant great accolades.

He had 3 chances. And couldn't seal it.

66 Saints
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:After reading through this complete thread i have come to the conclusion that GT is a better coach than RL but GT was very unlucky.
Does that mean GT can comment on other coaches?

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Just want to make one point MB. It appears that Eade based his game plan and approach on ours. Instead of the Doggies' normally free flowing, high scoring game, they played a dour, structured, defence-based game. I would think that making the opposition coach take you on, using your own methods is a win for a start. It meant that the game was played on our terms and in a way familiar to ourselves. RL -1 , Eade -0.

More than Eade's coaching, it was the intensity and attitude of the WB players that put us on the back foot early. Had the doggies played their usual style, and had they not made so many skill errors (probably due to nerves, pressure) we may have been gone by 1/4 time. What also impressed me about RL's coaching was that he has got us through to a GF even though we seem to have several players out of form, and the team is not playing anywhere near as well as it was in rounds 1-14. His structure and plan helps us to grind out wins, even when below our best. It's always hard to measure the effect coaches have on an outcome, but I'd not concede Eade was better than Lyon on Friday night.

Also having a bloke called Riewoldt helps.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
matrix
Saintsational Legend

this thread needs a poll 8-)
then once and for all the heavyweight championship of the worlddddddddd for coaching ability at st kilda can be decided.

i suggest a no holds barred falls count anywhere barbed wire match poll

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

matrixcutter wrote:this thread needs a poll 8-)
then once and for all the heavyweight championship of the worlddddddddd for coaching ability at st kilda can be decided.

i suggest a no holds barred falls count anywhere barbed wire match poll
'For the thousands in attendance
and the millions watching around the world.

Let's get ready to RUUUUUUUUUUMBLE!!!!!!!'

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
st.byron wrote:
I accept that not everyone sees things the same way I do, and whilst I personally think the statement is nonsense, I want to understand the reasoning so that I can determine if I'm wrong or not.
I have a 'sneaking suspicion' that MB's view is tainted by a failure to fully embrace RL as our coach (whatever the reasons) and therefore he 'marks' him harder than he probably should. But that view of mine may well be my own bias - I don't know?
Hence my requests for more information in an attempt to more fully understand the reasoning behind the statement.
I didn't rate RL in his first 18 months as a coach, but don't feel that way now: I reckon he is close to being the best coach in the AFL (I would still rate Malthouse higher, but there isn't a lot in it). Any bias I would have against Lyon would therefore be totally unconscious on my part.

I think RL did all the right things on Friday night: it's not a question of him failing, but of Eade coming up with some clever ways to make it far more difficult for us to play our usual game that we all (including, I am sure, Lyon) expected. I would call this "outcoaching". But I probably should have described it as an "excellent, but ultimately unsuccessful, coaching performance". I'm sure that most people on here would agree with that assessment.

And now, moving on to more important matters, here's a picture of Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin without his shirt on.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

[quote="meher baba
And now, moving on to more important matters, here's a picture of Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin without his shirt on.

Image[/quote]

Poor man's Billy Crystal

cowboy18
Saintsational Legend

thumbs up from me.

and boris.

kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

rodgerfox wrote:I saw an interview with a UFC fighter by the name of Brock Lesner.

He got rolled in the heavywieght titel fight against Frank Mir.

Anyway, he was saying that in the rematch the advantage really lies with the bloke who got beaten first time around.

It was an interesting point, His reasoning was that you get an insight into how to beat them, and an insight into how they beat you.

You correct the areas they beat you in, and it narrows the gap.

For the guy who won first time around, what do they do to improve? What do they focus on the second time around?

Anyway, he beat the shiit out of Mir and is now the heavyweight champ of the UFC.

Back to the footy.....Aker was talking on Nova the morning after we rolled them by 40 points. It was the second time we beat them and Aker was saying that he just hoped they had another crack at us because each time they'd played us they'd got a little extra insight into us, and they thought they knew where they'd gone wrong.

If you can keep the mental side of things in check, it makes sense that the tactical advantage lies with the Dogs the 3rd time we meet them.
I don't think the fact that Eade shut down certain things of ours is really that much to warrant great accolades.

He had 3 chances. And couldn't seal it.
Just lucky we're not playing Carlton or Richmond this week. Surely they would have an insight into how to beat us by now.

Furtius Quo Rdelious
Saints43
Club Player

kosifantutti23 wrote:Just lucky we're not playing Carlton or Richmond this week. Surely they would have an insight into how to beat us by now.
I think Rf was talking about a heavyweight title fight. The analogy with the dogs match fits.

We just drag the blues out into a back alley and smash their heads into rubbish bins. Nobody learns anything from that. Especially not their supporters.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Outcoached..bah humbug....

While a week off is good for the body...IMO it is not so good for footballers minds.

We came out of the blocks slow last week and took half a game to get going.

As to all Eades moves...what were they?? As mentioned by another already he largely just aped Lyon's strategies.

How did Eade get Ray when the ball was kicked to him in space to double back and then kick sideways to a Dog when he should have just marked and run on to have an easy ping from 30 m out?

While much has been made of the dogs missing shots on the run the saints bungled a lot of scoring opportunities in the first half to extent that they did not even score.

then the saints settled, got there mojo back and ground out a win against a very good opponent.

It is notable that both Jonathon Brown and Simon Black both separately stated on Brownlow night that the StKilda v Dogs was one of greatest pressure games that they have ever seen....and that Black stated that he found the game fascinating.

Those that reckon the dogs were easybeats are grossly under-estimating how the Dogs played.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....