After watching the replay and on reflection....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

After watching the replay and on reflection....

Feel free to add any....

We have two players very worthy of being captain
Our crumbers never seemed at the bottom of a klunk
I know it was hard fought, but I a slightly concerned that we were so tired

matrix
Saintsational Legend

just about to see if i set the recorder correctly

*oh please god,*

mullet
Saintsational Legend

matrixcutter wrote:just about to see if i set the recorder correctly

*oh please god,*
Its on again at 12 if you have foxtel dont know what time that is in Adelaide time, I cant believe you are home already did you drive back straight after the game

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

We were harder at it. I'll watch again later to confirm this, but I reckon we won pretty much every crucial 50 50 ball simply by being harder at it. I have clear memories of Fisher, Hayes (of course), Gilbert, Ball, Dal Santo, Montgana and Raph Clarke all going when it was their turn.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

Statistics wise we lost pretty much every indicator except the scoreboard. We certainly lost contested possessions, hardball gets, looseball gets. I'm puzzled how you can say we were harder at it than them, when the stats say otherwise.

In fact both sides were hard at it; it came down to Roo's heroics and Lenny's will in the end.

mullet
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:We were harder at it. I'll watch again later to confirm this, but I reckon we won pretty much every crucial 50 50 ball simply by being harder at it. I have clear memories of Fisher, Hayes (of course), Gilbert, Ball, Dal Santo, Montgana and Raph Clarke all going when it was their turn.
and watch cj's game he was fantastic :D

matrix
Saintsational Legend

yeah mullet
straight home
ill try to stay up for the cats v pies game, after i watch our replay twice but i cant see it happening
although i kinda got a second wind going now

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

matrixcutter wrote:yeah mullet
straight home
ill try to stay up for the cats v pies game, after i watch our replay twice but i cant see it happening
Awesome effort matrix.

Hope it was an enjoyable trip home.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
matrix
Saintsational Legend

thank god thats the last time i have to do that...its hellish but it has to be done
next week im staying for a few days

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

St DAC wrote:Statistics wise we lost pretty much every indicator except the scoreboard. We certainly lost contested possessions, hardball gets, looseball gets. I'm puzzled how you can say we were harder at it than them, when the stats say otherwise.

In fact both sides were hard at it; it came down to Roo's heroics and Lenny's will in the end.
Every CRUCIAL 50-50 I said - ie the crunch ones in difficult to defend parts of the ground that required people to absolutely smash in.

And I didn't say WB's weren't hard at it.

I said we were harder when it really, really mattered.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
mullet
Saintsational Legend

matrixcutter wrote:yeah mullet
straight home
Glad you made it safely, unbelievable effort, perhaps you should be nominated as the greatest supporter :shock: Sorry Jiggstar

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:We were harder at it. I'll watch again later to confirm this, but I reckon we won pretty much every crucial 50 50 ball simply by being harder at it.
In the first quarter I reckon we lost every 50-50 and clearance, and the second quarter wasn't a lot better. Even the start of the last was worse than even for us. I agree that everyone did go when it was their turn, but for a lot of the night they lacked that last 10% of aggression required (except Hayes and Jones).

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

i wonder if players were saving their bodies for the GF?

of course lenny and roo and a couple of others don't know how to switch off, thank goodness.

just a thought.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
mullet
Saintsational Legend

Dan Warna wrote:i wonder if players were saving their bodies for the GF?

of course lenny and roo and a couple of others don't know how to switch off, thank goodness.

just a thought.
I dont think any of the players were saving themselves, Dont think one single player had much left after the game. I cant remember who said it, maybe Finey on SEN, but we just couldnt click into gear, I reckon we will be clicking next week

SuperSaint
Club Player

just a thought.
Dan, in a knockout final such high stakes, why would players want to "save their bodies for GF". Got to get there first. For some strange reason many payers were down last night and they can mainly thank Lenny and Roo for not ending their season prematurely.
Last edited by SuperSaint on Sat 19 Sep 2009 10:09am, edited 1 time in total.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

mullet wrote:

just a thought.
I dont think any of the players were saving themselves, Dont think one single player had much left after the game. I cant remember who said it, maybe Finey on SEN, but we just couldnt click into gear, I reckon we will be clicking next week
Couldn't click into gear, or under enormous pressure?

St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

Thinline wrote:Every CRUCIAL 50-50 I said - ie the crunch ones in difficult to defend parts of the ground that required people to absolutely smash in.
They are all crucial.

Anyway, we won, so it's all good. :D

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

nick dal santo is a big game player

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Roo, Fisher, Hayes. Dal Santo and Jones were at their best.

Goddard, Montagna, Gram were solid but below par

Schneider Milne (he tried) were well below par

so there is room for improvement and there needs to be to match the Cats midfield (assuming the Pies don't win today).

We lost the contested ball.

we had 40 inside 50's vs 57 to the Dogs

we made the most of our forward opportunities and we had Riewoldt to thank for that and a small element of luck (at long last in the finals).

oh when
Club Player

Control of the game

I feel we took control of the game at the 20 mins mark in the second qtr.
by closing down the dogs forward play and making sure we were within striking distance at half time.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

We looked really nervous early !

We looked really nervous early ! I think we had a severe case of the nerves as the expectation to make the GF was huge on the team. I think they were a bit overwhelmed and took some time to clear their heads and find their feet.

It amazing how much that nervous energy can engross you, affect you ability to concentrate and apply yourself.

The major positive out of all this is that wall of nerves we faced tonight will now be behind them. They will be anxious leading into GF but it is like being released from a burden of worry. The SAINTS will play a much more confident attackign game in the GF and look for a better start and effort across the board.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
sax
Club Player

Both sides were hard at it.
One concern is we were down in contested possesion count again.
But there was a massive amount of contested footy. Dogs 147, Saints 130.
This really is an extremely high contested possesion count.
Very hard tough game of footy. Credit to both teams, but at least the right one came out on top! :D

35...LEGEND
Club Player

Re: Control of the game

oh when wrote:I feel we took control of the game at the 20 mins mark in the second qtr.
by closing down the dogs forward play and making sure we were within striking distance at half time.
Exactly what I said to my Bro.........you just got the feeling we were starting to take control,but them dog's fought it right and and credit to them.

Beej
Saintsational Legend

I really felt for Griffen and Gilbee after the game.

They were distraught as all the Dogs were, but I remembered they both unfortunately lost their dads recently.