match up for zac

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

nobhead
Club Player

match up for zac

just wondering if there is a match up for zac on friday night ? only one i can think of is welsh . does anyone know who zac played on last time we met.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

i reckon he might play on minson or hudson if they push forward, and welsh otherwise.

roxanne
Club Player

Mitch Hahn?

"He spoke of his stride, his power and his willingness to push himself to exhaustion. All of the things that are on display each weekend in the No 12 jumper" Garry Lyon
fonz_#15
SS Life Member

roxanne wrote:Mitch Hahn?
Maybe Blake for Hahn but otherwise Zac is the other possibility

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

I'm a big fan of Zac's, and really hope he has 10 great years for us, but if the coaching staff are being honest, they'll probably admit that there isn't likely to be an ideal match up for him for the majority of the game.
Ross has said in recent weeks that our selection will be "horses for courses", meaning our side will be picked based on who best suits the team we're playing.
Lets see if he's a man of his word. If he is, Max would almost certainly be the better selection than Zac, due to the fact he's better suited to playing on their shorter guys. Max did the job on Brad Johnson a few weeks ago (0 goals) and is clearly a better match up for guys like him than Zac is. He is also ideally suited to guys like Welsh and Hahn, who he would likely eat for breakfast. Zac may be a bit big for them.
Probably the only ideal match up for Zac in their forward line would be Minson, or Hudson, if/when they push forward. It's very unlikely that they will be pushing forward for any extended periods of time, meaning there is unlikely to be an ideal match up for Zac for much of the game. Again, Max could play on those guys easily, when required.
I sincerely hope that Ross is a man of his word and that stubbornness and pig-headedness don't get in the way at selection. Things are getting serious now. We lose, we're out. They need to get it right. Max, or even neither of them, looks the way to go.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
nobhead
Club Player

right on the money

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:I'm a big fan of Zac's, and really hope he has 10 great years for us, but if the coaching staff are being honest, they'll probably admit that there isn't likely to be an ideal match up for him for the majority of the game.
Ross has said in recent weeks that our selection will be "horses for courses", meaning our side will be picked based on who best suits the team we're playing.
Lets see if he's a man of his word. If he is, Max would almost certainly be the better selection than Zac, due to the fact he's better suited to playing on their shorter guys. Max did the job on Brad Johnson a few weeks ago (0 goals) and is clearly a better match up for guys like him than Zac is. He is also ideally suited to guys like Welsh and Hahn, who he would likely eat for breakfast. Zac may be a bit big for them.
Probably the only ideal match up for Zac in their forward line would be Minson, or Hudson, if/when they push forward. It's very unlikely that they will be pushing forward for any extended periods of time, meaning there is unlikely to be an ideal match up for Zac for much of the game. Again, Max could play on those guys easily, when required.
I sincerely hope that Ross is a man of his word and that stubbornness and pig-headedness don't get in the way at selection. Things are getting serious now. We lose, we're out. They need to get it right. Max, or even neither of them, looks the way to go.
my thoughts exactly dont reckon eade will play minson forward as that will play into our hands.also noticed that welsh has been pushing up the ground more lately.im not a zac basher but i really beleive that max would be a better option this week imo

ThePunter
Club Player

The only problem with "horses for courses" and replacing Zac with Max is that, in all probability, Max would be then dropped for the Grand Final.

nobhead
Club Player

thats ok

ThePunter wrote:The only problem with "horses for courses" and replacing Zac with Max is that, in all probability, Max would be then dropped for the Grand Final.
nothing wrong with that as long they maintain the horses for courses mentality .got put team success ahead of individuals or sentiment imo

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Johnson is a hard match up and Max is clearly the best man for the job - I just hope if recalled he can refocus with all the Zac/Max attention.

the other concern is Max is injury prone... he has chronic hamstring problems will he be able to get through a tough match ?

i'm sure all this is being weighed up.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

[quote="samoht"]Johnson is a hard match up and Max is clearly the best man for the job -

quote]

Apart from the fact that Johnson is virtually another midfielder and runs up the ground gathers 30 possesions. Unless Johnson is crippled by his hip then he'd run Max off his feet.

Bring back the Lockett era
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

jonesy wrote:
samoht wrote:Johnson is a hard match up and Max is clearly the best man for the job -

quote]

Apart from the fact that Johnson is virtually another midfielder and runs up the ground gathers 30 possesions. Unless Johnson is crippled by his hip then he'd run Max off his feet.
Max has had his measure up forward.

But you're right , if Max is chosen, Johnson may be used as a midfielder and we'll need to play someone else on him.

He's a difficult match up.

milney044
Club Player

From memory Max went down injured last time (or one of the times) against the Dogs. Now i love Max but the probability that he will go down injured is very high and i just don't know if i'd be willing to risk that in a cut- throat final. On the other hand he is the perfect match up for Johnson and has a good record on him of late.
It is a very tough decision and a headache for the selectors. And i've just made myself feel sick again talking about footy, bring on Friday now please :?

Destiny. It's in our hands.

Harder. Better. Faster. Stronger.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

ThePunter wrote:The only problem with "horses for courses" and replacing Zac with Max is that, in all probability, Max would be then dropped for the Grand Final.
why?

geelong could lay Mooney, hawkins and Ottens all fwd...

“Yeah….nah””
golden hawk
Club Player

if he plays on minson i hope he makes minson cry he is a sooky whinger !!!

your friendly neighbourhood hawk
Unforgiven
SS Life Member

samoht wrote:
jonesy wrote:
samoht wrote:Johnson is a hard match up and Max is clearly the best man for the job -

quote]

Max has had his measure up forward.

But you're right , if Max is chosen, Johnson may be used as a midfielder and we'll need to play someone else on him.

He's a difficult match up.
That is a win for us I believe. If Max forces his way into the team to take Johno, and they play Johno up the ground, I think they are hurting themselves more so than out coaching us.

Carpe Diem
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

If Zac does play, they might look to stretch the Doggies defence by pushing him forward at times. If not, it's hard to see ideal match ups for him down back all night.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

I dont see how max has any match up for the Dogs. people saying Johnston surely have realised he has played further up the ground the last few weeks so he isnt an option. All other players bar Minson and Welsh would be far to fit for Max who has played 2 seconds games in 6 weeks. If they did use Minson or welsh up forward Zac would do the job.

Yes there arent many match ups for Zac if those 2 dont go forward but Zac has skills where as they would just expose max one out and let him try to kick it properly.

I think it is pretty obvious that RL will not use Max this week but if i am proven wrong Im pretty sure this post will be highlighted again. :wink:

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Max could play on Mitch Hahn, for one, in his sleep.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:Max could play on Mitch Hahn, for one, in his sleep.
Hahn is a very hard runner. Max wouldnt be anywhere fit enough to run with him all game.

hotdish
Club Player

MATCHUPS FROM LAST GAME (R17) - Zac didn't play (Max did) - http://stats.rleague.com/afl/stats/game ... 90725.html

Hahn-Blake
B Johnson - Gilbert
Aker - Baker
Welsh - Hudghton
R Murphy - S Fisher

Welsh since then has been a roaming player, and has played in the backline at times.

I expect Dawson to take Will Minson (he will be able to run off and create offensively against the big dud)

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:Max could play on Mitch Hahn, for one, in his sleep.
Hahn is a very hard runner. Max wouldnt be anywhere fit enough to run with him all game.
Agree. Blake on Hahn for mine.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
Cro
Club Player

Can anyone remember who Zac played on the first time we played them?

hotdish
Club Player

Cro wrote:Can anyone remember who Zac played on the first time we played them?
* Begins to watch the R6 game...The initial back 6 was:

Dawson - Minson
Blake - Hill
S Fisher - Hahn
Gilbert - B Johnson
Baker - Aker
Goddard

LATER in 1st Q

Gilbert then later took Hahn
eagleton - Baker
Hahn to Blake also (Gilbert switche3d back to BJ)
Hill - Dawson

There was alot of matchup changes early with each coach trying to isolate certain players.

* Murphy lined up in the backine and Welsh didn't play. Not sure about Higgins...

golden hawk
Club Player

no change to team so zac is in yay

your friendly neighbourhood hawk
rexy
SS Life Member

Doggies play a resting ruck forward for most of the game, they have to do this as the size of their leading forwards mean they need a player to create a contest for the long....get out of jail entry when they are under preassure. Dawson will play on this player be it Minson or Hudson. When neither are forward it will come back to how the game is being played, if we are preassuring them a lot and winning the stoppages he will be happy to leave Dawson at FB in that sweeper role where he is in the last line virtually on his own. If they are winning the stoppages and breaking into their forward line then he will be benched when there second ruckman is resting or possibly pushed forward to stretch them.

I beleive our side is more balanced height wise than theirs and is also quite flexible. 5 talls who can play forward to some degree (Reiwoldt Kosi King Gardiner Dawson). 5 who can play tall in the backline (Dawson, Blake Gilbert, Fisher, Kosi). 4 genuine ruck options all with different strengths (Gardiner, King, Kosi, Blake). A couple of relatively tall midfield options(Goddard, Fisher). Reiwoldt also an option on the wing and pushing right down into defense late in the game or a quarter.

Love Max and really feel for him but the non selection is justified. Cats are his only hope IMO. We play the Cats in a GF if we both make it and the opportunity for them to play Ottens Hawkins and Mooney forward together on a sunny day may be enough for us to go in with an extra defender. Wont be Dawson who makes way though, probably Eddy?

Maybe this year?